Tavon Austin's back flop

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
RamzFanz said:
HometownBoy said:
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:
IMO, it's a combination of everything. The line isn't as good as some think it is, the WR's are overhyped and drop a lot, the running game is bad (not sure if it's the RB or the run blocking or both), the OC doesn't call very aggressive or creative plays, and sometimes it's Bradford that messes up.

I think with the right coaching, it could be quite a bit better but that will only take us so far. The players still need to do their jobs. Many times it's one player messing up that F's up the whole play. I go back and forth on this issue. I don't think Schotty is putting his players in the best position to succeed but I also think the players aren't doing what they need to, whether it's blocking well, running good routes, getting open, catching, Bradford making the right adjustments, going through the proper progressions, etc. I do think we could find a much better OC but, again, that will only improve us so much and it's a whole new scheme to learn.

The Rams are in a really tough spot right now. In the short term, though, I do think they could help themselves by being a little more proactive/aggressive earlier in the game on BOTH sides of the ball.

I pretty much agree except the dropped passes. That may sound niave being they have the most dropped passes in the NFL I believe, but most of those fall into a few categories:

1) Pettis
2) Passes dropped in the second half against Dallas when the game was way out of hand and the entire team was obviously demoralized and just wanting to exit.
3) Passes thrown way too hard

If you remove Dallas second half and Pettis and the numbers aren't bad. I'm kidding about Pettis by the way because, even though he drops the most, he still has good hands. That's how good the Rams' receivers really are.

Now, take a little of the unnecessary heat off those 5 yard passes and the catching could be beautiful.

Passes thrown too hard?! Huh?

If it hits their hands, it should be caught. Even Torry Holt(pretty sure it was him, might have been the other ex NFL players on the radio) said that if it hits their hands, the WR's should catch them. It was after that pick-6 against ATL where Richardson didn't catch it. Sorry, but he should have caught that. If Bradford throws it any softer, it gives defenders more time to react and make the tackle. Richardson wouldn't have been able to do anything if the throw was soft. The defenders would have been all over him the second he touched the ball. It's the NFL. Catch the ball.

Richardson wouldn't have been able to do anything if the throw was soft but instead we get a pick six... irony?

So instead of going for success with the risk of failure, you'd rather go for failure right away?

Sometimes fellas need to remember hindsight means absolutely nothing to what happened.

Yes, I would choose failing to make one pass over a pick six. Certainly. The ball was thrown too hard.

And if Richardson catches it, he can make something out of it. I'd choose that over a wasted opportunity based on hindsight I didn't have at the moment.

Richardson failed to catch the ball, simple as that. If he can't catch footballs because they're being thrown to hard then we need to get somebody who can.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
V3 said:
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:
IMO, it's a combination of everything. The line isn't as good as some think it is, the WR's are overhyped and drop a lot, the running game is bad (not sure if it's the RB or the run blocking or both), the OC doesn't call very aggressive or creative plays, and sometimes it's Bradford that messes up.

I think with the right coaching, it could be quite a bit better but that will only take us so far. The players still need to do their jobs. Many times it's one player messing up that F's up the whole play. I go back and forth on this issue. I don't think Schotty is putting his players in the best position to succeed but I also think the players aren't doing what they need to, whether it's blocking well, running good routes, getting open, catching, Bradford making the right adjustments, going through the proper progressions, etc. I do think we could find a much better OC but, again, that will only improve us so much and it's a whole new scheme to learn.

The Rams are in a really tough spot right now. In the short term, though, I do think they could help themselves by being a little more proactive/aggressive earlier in the game on BOTH sides of the ball.

I pretty much agree except the dropped passes. That may sound niave being they have the most dropped passes in the NFL I believe, but most of those fall into a few categories:

1) Pettis
2) Passes dropped in the second half against Dallas when the game was way out of hand and the entire team was obviously demoralized and just wanting to exit.

If you remove Dallas second half and Pettis and the numbers aren't bad. I'm kidding about Pettis by the way because, even though he drops the most, he still has good hands. That's how good the Rams' receivers really are.

Now, take a little of the unnecessary heat off those 5 yard passes and the catching could be beautiful.

If it hits their hands, it should be caught. Even Torry Holt(pretty sure it was him, might have been the other ex NFL players on the radio) said that if it hits their hands, the WR's should catch them. It was after that pick-6 against ATL where Richardson didn't catch it. Sorry, but he should have caught that. If Bradford throws it any softer, it gives defenders more time to react and make the tackle. Richardson wouldn't have been able to do anything if the throw was soft. The defenders would have been all over him the second he touched the ball. It's the NFL. Catch the ball.
Yeah. Torry spent hours in front of the jugs machine, 10 yards away, and those things came out in a hurry. Very few players with mitts like his. Miss that dude....

sent via Tapatalk.

V3

Hall of Fame
RamzFanz said:
HometownBoy said:
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:

1) Pettis

Richardson wouldn't have been able to do anything if the throw was soft but instead we get a pick six... irony?

So instead of going for success with the risk of failure, you'd rather go for failure right away?

Sometimes fellas need to remember hindsight means absolutely nothing to what happened.

Yes, I would choose failing to make one pass over a pick six. Certainly. The ball was thrown too hard.

You're starting to sound like one of those irrational Bradford haters. I've never heard a WR say that it's okay to let a ball go through your hands. Everything I've ever heard about catching a ball is that if it hits your hands, it should be caught. People used to brag about how hard Favre used to throw it and how it would break fingers. I guess he was wrong to throw the ball hard?

Also, if Richardson had done what he's supposed to do- catch it since it hit him in the hands right on the numbers- it wouldn't have been a pick-6. It would have been positive yardage.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
V3 said:
You're starting to sound like one of those irrational Bradford haters. I've never heard a WR say that it's okay to let a ball go through your hands. Everything I've ever heard about catching a ball is that if it hits your hands, it should be caught. People used to brag about how hard Favre used to throw it and how it would break fingers. I guess he was wrong to throw the ball hard?

Also, if Richardson had done what he's supposed to do- catch it since it hit him in the hands right on the numbers- it wouldn't have been a pick-6. It would have been positive yardage.

I'm a Bradford fan so...

I just know there are laws of physics and when you throw harder than needed for the situation, more balls will be dropped. It's pretty simple really. When I saw that throw I thought, wow that was hard for no reason. Just my observation.

V3 said:
Everything I've ever heard about catching a ball is that if it hits your hands, it should be caught.

So, if Bradford could throw it at 150 MPH at a receiver 10 yards out he should catch it? Or is there a reality here that doesn't involve perfection and parallel dimensions?

Again, as a simple point, go watch P Manning from Monday night's game and show me where he had to throw it that hard.

Perhaps the problem MIGHT be that he's always having to get it out right now because the offensive scheme is so bad? I don't know but I do know I watch a LOT of football and throws like that are dropped more than than those thrown to open receivers (RBs) that don't require hyper velocity.

Also, he's been batted down a whole lot. When you throw frozen ropes, they are low and straight. Remember the pick six in at the end zone? Perhaps that and many of the other swatted balls are from throwing too low for velocity's sake?

Ebonemalone

Rookie
bwdenverram said:
I live in Denver and get spoiled watching it every week. It's just disgusting how easy they make it look. I would love to run a similar style offense. Seems someone is open every damn play. Although, it is Petyon freaking Manning we're talking about. Not every QB can make it look that easy. But to your point, running the right scheme to fit the players is key. And so far Denver does it to perfection.

Specifically, he knows how to audible almost EVERY PLAY and knows how it will work lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamzFanz said:
Also, he's been batted down a whole lot. When you throw frozen ropes, they are low and straight. Remember the pick six in at the end zone? Perhaps that and many of the other swatted balls are from throwing too low for velocity's sake?
If you're going to employ physics (or in this case, Geometry) as an argument, do you realize how HIGH Bradford would have to throw a ball to not have it batted at the line of scrimmage (on a short field) by a 6'6 defender?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
RamzFanz said:
If you're going to employ physics (or in this case, Geometry) as an argument, do you realize how HIGH Bradford would have to throw a ball to not have it batted at the line of scrimmage (on a short field) by a 6'6 defender?

Interesting observation, X. But how does Wilson keep from having as many tipped balls? Answer: he has a "high" release point....it seems to me, Bradford (could) do the same.

bluecoconuts

Legend
ramsince62 said:
X said:
RamzFanz said:

Interesting observation, X. But how does Wilson keep from having as many tipped balls? Answer: he has a "high" release point....it seems to me, Bradford (could) do the same.

Wilson has had tipped balls. He usually has throwing lanes though.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
ramsince62 said:
X said:
RamzFanz said:

Wilson has had tipped balls. He usually has throwing lanes though.

I wasn't suggesting that he doesn't have (any) tipped balls, only that he's able to compensate for his height due to his high release point.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
RamzFanz said:
X said:
RamzFanz said:
X said:
I have to wonder why every team doesn't do what Manning and Denver does.

It's so simple.

Because, IMHO, while we have the player talent to run that type of offense, we don't have the OC or HC with that vision.

Of course it's Manning running that offense at the line that makes it look effortless. I get that. But it's the designs of the plays that springs the WR / TE.

Take Manning out and insert Bradford and they would still be winning and winning big. Not AS big. Not setting NFL TD records big, but big. If Bradford can put up the scores he did in the first two games with this lackluster and uninspired scheme, he could light it up with Denvers.

Forget that. Take Manning and put him on the Rams and remove the hurry up and no huddle and his permission to call the offense and the Rams are still 1-2. Manning can hit a well covered receiver but his huge stats come from open receivers. They make every opponent look like the Rams soft passing D. Oakland looked just like the Rams.

We'll see on Thursday. If the coaches run the same old same old and they win decisively, I'll correct myself. At this point, I don't think the Rams could beat the Cards again with three games of tape to see the glaring holes in the schemes. Here's the plan, run 12 yards out, almost to your coverage guy, turn around and catch the ball. 1st down.

I'll never be convinced this soft D is going to succeed until it does. It was a solid passing D last season and now it's not and I don't see it as a personnel issue. Perhaps Finny needs to be replaced, but that's all I see.
I think it's a little more complicated than that. Safeties play a quarter mile off the line against Manning, and Denver has a 3-headed rushing attack behind a tremendously good zone-blocking offensive line. There are only a few teams set up like that, and Manning is a living legend. It's just not as easy as he makes it look. He's actually one of the few QBs who's his own coordinator and QB coach. I don't know that Bradford would have as much success if he was on Denver right now. He's light years away from being that good.

Manning is a genius and sets a new standard for what a QB is capable of. So let's ask this, if Manning were the OC and QB coach on Denver and Bradford were the QB? Yep. Lights out. Bradford CAN run that O with the possible exception of calling the plays on the line. Bradford can hit both covered and wide open receivers consistently.

What if Manning were on the Rams as OC and QB coach scheming just like in Denver with these players? Again, lights out. Bradford could be a Manning style QB if there were a Manning style mind designing and teaching, IMHO.

Bradford is getting Bulgered.

Nah, if it's anything Bradford's geting Bradforded.

Bulger at least had the benefit of learning on a good team that actually bred a good environment for QBs and he has the good seasons to show for it, then it all crumbled to pieces and crushed him and turned him into the sad sack he was.

Bradford never had that benefit, he's always been behind a bad team, and his growth has been stunted because of it. If Bradford had learned on the early post GSOT Rams he'd be light years ahead of where his is in terms of development.

Hell, if he was on any good team he would be light years ahead in his development, but alas he's still catching up.

He's got things to pick up on, but I can't say I deride him too much for it given the circumstances, people say it's now or never, but honestly I don't see it as that.

He's only ever had time on teams that are poor or substandard, he needs time to learn with teams that can actually do something.

V3

Hall of Fame
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:

I'm a Bradford fan so...

I just know there are laws of physics and when you throw harder than needed for the situation, more balls will be dropped. It's pretty simple really. When I saw that throw I thought, wow that was hard for no reason. Just my observation.

V3 said:
Everything I've ever heard about catching a ball is that if it hits your hands, it should be caught.

So, if Bradford could throw it at 150 MPH at a receiver 10 yards out he should catch it? Or is there a reality here that doesn't involve perfection and parallel dimensions?

Again, as a simple point, go watch P Manning from Monday night's game and show me where he had to throw it that hard.

Perhaps the problem MIGHT be that he's always having to get it out right now because the offensive scheme is so bad? I don't know but I do know I watch a LOT of football and throws like that are dropped more than than those thrown to open receivers (RBs) that don't require hyper velocity.

Show me one QB that can throw a football at half your suggested speed. And Bradford wasn't even throwing that at his hardest. Not even close. At this point, it's obvious we aren't going to agree on this point so I'll just move onto the point about the batted balls. That's an area we agree about.

I've noticed this a lot over the years and have been clamoring for someone to tell Bradford to start employing the use of the pump fake more often. A lot more often. Not only can you use it avoid tipped or blocked balls at the LOS but you can also use it to draw defenders off of certain coverages. I think I've seen Bradford use it maybe like 2 times in his career. It's starting to drive a little crazy and I've tried to get through to ask Fisher or one of the Rams coaches why they don't try and get him to use it more often.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ramsince62 said:
X said:
RamzFanz said:

I really couldn't tell you. Wilson's high release point is probably the same as a Bradford side-arm delivery given their height discrepancy. I do agree Bradford's batted passes are inordinately high, so I went back to see if it's a trend. It is. He led the league in 2010 (17), 2011 he was 12th (10), last year he was ranked 14th (10), and this year he's tied for first with 5. Luck, Stafford and Rodgers rank pretty high too, so I'm not sure what to make of it. It could be a combination of their throwing motion, defenders following their eyes, clogged throwing lanes, or absence of a pump fake. Dunno. I don't think you can limit it to velocity though. It would stand to reason that the faster you throw the ball, the less time a defender has to react.

V3

Hall of Fame
ramsince62 said:
X said:
RamzFanz said:

I don't think it's his release point really at all. It's his mobility in the pocket which allows him to find the throwing lanes and his high use of the pump fake. He also has a good O-line. I think I even saw an interview with him talking about how much he loves using the pump fake.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this is it:

<a class="postlink" href="http://vimeo.com/74541906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://vimeo.com/74541906</a>

(I couldn't get the vimeo tags to work so you'll have to use the link, sorry)

The pump fake is SOOOOOO underutilized by Bradford that it's starting to make me mad. I don't know if it's him or the coaching. Whatever it is, it's probably the biggest thing missing from Bradford's game, IMO.