Tavon Austin's back flop

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
in the end zone after he saw the yellow says it all. That poor kid. Being a rookie, not being used in a manner that would allow him to be an impact explosive player, no decent punt blocking ever, and every great play annulled by penalties.

The thing about TA and punt returns from what I'v seen is he needs one good block right by him and he's gone. A half a second to see what he has to deal with and unleash the inner squirrel. Down field he doesn't need blocking as much because he has the ability to carve up defenders, force them to change speeds and direction, and send them reeling.

I would predict his first PR TD this Thursday if there were any hope of reasonable blocking and no penalties but I haven't seen anything yet that would make me hope for that.

I watched Denver last night and it's just shocking how their play designs would open receivers consistently. If they could do that with TA and Cook and Givens, forget about it. It would be a field day.

Oh, and Fisher, they ran the no huddle a lot and they were never one dimensional nor were they always in the hurry up very often when they did so.

As a no nothing fan, I would run a mixture of hurry up and no huddle and get points on the board early. Then you can run run run and see what we've got. If that fails, we can go back at any time. An early lead and a defense that can't make substitutions and is tired is a powerful force. Energized players and fans are a huge plus.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I live in Denver and get spoiled watching it every week. It's just disgusting how easy they make it look. I would love to run a similar style offense. Seems someone is open every damn play. Although, it is Petyon freaking Manning we're talking about. Not every QB can make it look that easy. But to your point, running the right scheme to fit the players is key. And so far Denver does it to perfection.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have to wonder why every team doesn't do what Manning and Denver does.

It's so simple.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
X said:

It's so simple.

You know I always wondered why we stopped running that whole GSOT thingy that seemed to work so well just a few years ago.......Maybe there's a old playbook laying around Rams park.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
X said:

It's so simple.

Totally.

I make the same passes from my couch every weekend.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yamahopper said:
X said:

It's so simple.

You know I always wondered why we stopped running that whole GSOT thingy that seemed to work so well just a few years ago.......Maybe there's a old playbook laying around Rams park.
Actually, I have it right here! (for real)

I'll fax this over to Schotty right now. Problem solved. :cheese:

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:

It's so simple.

Because, IMHO, while we have the player talent to run that type of offense, we don't have the OC or HC with that vision.

Of course it's Manning running that offense at the line that makes it look effortless. I get that. But it's the designs of the plays that springs the WR / TE.

Take Manning out and insert Bradford and they would still be winning and winning big. Not AS big. Not setting NFL TD records big, but big. If Bradford can put up the scores he did in the first two games with this lackluster and uninspired scheme, he could light it up with Denvers.

Forget that. Take Manning and put him on the Rams and remove the hurry up and no huddle and his permission to call the offense and the Rams are still 1-2. Manning can hit a well covered receiver but his huge stats come from open receivers. They make every opponent look like the Rams soft passing D. Oakland looked just like the Rams.

We'll see on Thursday. If the coaches run the same old same old and they win decisively, I'll correct myself. At this point, I don't think the Rams could beat the Cards again with three games of tape to see the glaring holes in the schemes. Here's the plan, run 12 yards out, almost to your coverage guy, turn around and catch the ball. 1st down.

I'll never be convinced this soft D is going to succeed until it does. It was a solid passing D last season and now it's not and I don't see it as a personnel issue. Perhaps Finny needs to be replaced, but that's all I see.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamzFanz said:
X said:

It's so simple.

Because, IMHO, while we have the player talent to run that type of offense, we don't have the OC or HC with that vision.

Of course it's Manning running that offense at the line that makes it look effortless. I get that. But it's the designs of the plays that springs the WR / TE.

Take Manning out and insert Bradford and they would still be winning and winning big. Not AS big. Not setting NFL TD records big, but big. If Bradford can put up the scores he did in the first two games with this lackluster and uninspired scheme, he could light it up with Denvers.

Forget that. Take Manning and put him on the Rams and remove the hurry up and no huddle and his permission to call the offense and the Rams are still 1-2. Manning can hit a well covered receiver but his huge stats come from open receivers. They make every opponent look like the Rams soft passing D. Oakland looked just like the Rams.

We'll see on Thursday. If the coaches run the same old same old and they win decisively, I'll correct myself. At this point, I don't think the Rams could beat the Cards again with three games of tape to see the glaring holes in the schemes. Here's the plan, run 12 yards out, almost to your coverage guy, turn around and catch the ball. 1st down.

I'll never be convinced this soft D is going to succeed until it does. It was a solid passing D last season and now it's not and I don't see it as a personnel issue. Perhaps Finny needs to be replaced, but that's all I see.
I think it's a little more complicated than that. Safeties play a quarter mile off the line against Manning, and Denver has a 3-headed rushing attack behind a tremendously good zone-blocking offensive line. There are only a few teams set up like that, and Manning is a living legend. It's just not as easy as he makes it look. He's actually one of the few QBs who's his own coordinator and QB coach. I don't know that Bradford would have as much success if he was on Denver right now. He's light years away from being that good.

RamzFanz

Damnit
X said:
RamzFanz said:
X said:

It's so simple.

I think it's a little more complicated than that. Safeties play a quarter mile off the line against Manning, and Denver has a 3-headed rushing attack behind a tremendously good zone-blocking offensive line. There are only a few teams set up like that, and Manning is a living legend. It's just not as easy as he makes it look. He's actually one of the few QBs who's his own coordinator and QB coach. I don't know that Bradford would have as much success if he was on Denver right now. He's light years away from being that good.

Manning is a genius and sets a new standard for what a QB is capable of. So let's ask this, if Manning were the OC and QB coach on Denver and Bradford were the QB? Yep. Lights out. Bradford CAN run that O with the possible exception of calling the plays on the line. Bradford can hit both covered and wide open receivers consistently.

What if Manning were on the Rams as OC and QB coach scheming just like in Denver with these players? Again, lights out. Bradford could be a Manning style QB if there were a Manning style mind designing and teaching, IMHO.

Bradford is getting Bulgered.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
inner squirrel

Excellent term, :LOLLLL:

How many years has Manning been running an offense? Hopefully, when Bradford has put in half that time, we'll see some of the same things from him. Meanwhile, we must learn to walk before we can run....and so far, that hasn't come easy.

V3

Hall of Fame
IMO, it's a combination of everything. The line isn't as good as some think it is, the WR's are overhyped and drop a lot, the running game is bad (not sure if it's the RB or the run blocking or both), the OC doesn't call very aggressive or creative plays, and sometimes it's Bradford that messes up.

I think with the right coaching, it could be quite a bit better but that will only take us so far. The players still need to do their jobs. Many times it's one player messing up that F's up the whole play. I go back and forth on this issue. I don't think Schotty is putting his players in the best position to succeed but I also think the players aren't doing what they need to, whether it's blocking well, running good routes, getting open, catching, Bradford making the right adjustments, going through the proper progressions, etc. I do think we could find a much better OC but, again, that will only improve us so much and it's a whole new scheme to learn.

The Rams are in a really tough spot right now. In the short term, though, I do think they could help themselves by being a little more proactive/aggressive earlier in the game on BOTH sides of the ball.

RamzFanz

Damnit
V3 said:
IMO, it's a combination of everything. The line isn't as good as some think it is, the WR's are overhyped and drop a lot, the running game is bad (not sure if it's the RB or the run blocking or both), the OC doesn't call very aggressive or creative plays, and sometimes it's Bradford that messes up.

I think with the right coaching, it could be quite a bit better but that will only take us so far. The players still need to do their jobs. Many times it's one player messing up that F's up the whole play. I go back and forth on this issue. I don't think Schotty is putting his players in the best position to succeed but I also think the players aren't doing what they need to, whether it's blocking well, running good routes, getting open, catching, Bradford making the right adjustments, going through the proper progressions, etc. I do think we could find a much better OC but, again, that will only improve us so much and it's a whole new scheme to learn.

The Rams are in a really tough spot right now. In the short term, though, I do think they could help themselves by being a little more proactive/aggressive earlier in the game on BOTH sides of the ball.

I pretty much agree except the dropped passes. That may sound niave being they have the most dropped passes in the NFL I believe, but most of those fall into a few categories:

1) Pettis
2) Passes dropped in the second half against Dallas when the game was way out of hand and the entire team was obviously demoralized and just wanting to exit.
3) Passes thrown way too hard

If you remove Dallas second half and Pettis and the numbers aren't bad. I'm kidding about Pettis by the way because, even though he drops the most, he still has good hands. That's how good the Rams' receivers really are.

Now, take a little of the unnecessary heat off those 5 yard passes and the catching could be beautiful.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:

I pretty much agree except the dropped passes. That may sound niave being they have the most dropped passes in the NFL I believe, but most of those fall into a few categories:

1) Pettis
2) Passes dropped in the second half against Dallas when the game was way out of hand and the entire team was obviously demoralized and just wanting to exit.

If you remove Dallas second half and Pettis and the numbers aren't bad. I'm kidding about Pettis by the way because, even though he drops the most, he still has good hands. That's how good the Rams' receivers really are.

Now, take a little of the unnecessary heat off those 5 yard passes and the catching could be beautiful.
Pettis doesn't drop the most passes. He's dropped a grand total of one so far this year and he was thrown at 20 times. By comparison, Quick has dropped two out of 7 targets. Tavon, three out of 25 targets. And the 5 yard passes don't have an unnecessary amount of "heat" either. I'm not entirely sure it's worth the effort, but would it make any difference if I made a video of every 5 yard pass (or thereabouts) that Bradford has thrown this year? If you saw that this is hyperbole, would it change your mind at all?

V3

Hall of Fame
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:

1) Pettis

Passes thrown too hard?! Huh?

If it hits their hands, it should be caught. Even Torry Holt(pretty sure it was him, might have been the other ex NFL players on the radio) said that if it hits their hands, the WR's should catch them. It was after that pick-6 against ATL where Richardson didn't catch it. Sorry, but he should have caught that. If Bradford throws it any softer, it gives defenders more time to react and make the tackle. Richardson wouldn't have been able to do anything if the throw was soft. The defenders would have been all over him the second he touched the ball. It's the NFL. Catch the ball.

RamzFanz

Damnit
V3 said:
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:

1) Pettis

If it hits their hands, it should be caught. Even Torry Holt(pretty sure it was him, might have been the other ex NFL players on the radio) said that if it hits their hands, the WR's should catch them. It was after that pick-6 against ATL where Richardson didn't catch it. Sorry, but he should have caught that. If Bradford throws it any softer, it gives defenders more time to react and make the tackle. Richardson wouldn't have been able to do anything if the throw was soft. The defenders would have been all over him the second he touched the ball. It's the NFL. Catch the ball.

Richardson wouldn't have been able to do anything if the throw was soft but instead we get a pick six... irony?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:

1) Pettis

Richardson wouldn't have been able to do anything if the throw was soft but instead we get a pick six... irony?

So instead of going for success with the risk of failure, you'd rather go for failure right away?

Sometimes fellas need to remember hindsight means absolutely nothing to what happened.

RamzFanz

Damnit
X said:
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:

1) Pettis

Pettis doesn't drop the most passes. He's dropped a grand total of one so far this year and he was thrown at 20 times. By comparison, Quick has dropped two out of 7 targets. Tavon, three out of 25 targets. And the 5 yard passes don't have an unnecessary amount of "heat" either. I'm not entirely sure it's worth the effort, but would it make any difference if I made a video of every 5 yard pass (or thereabouts) that Bradford has thrown this year? If you saw that this is hyperbole, would it change your mind at all?

Without going back to look, I'm pretty sure I remember him dropping 2.

However, be that as it may, my point is, outside of the 2nd half of dallas, they have good hands as a group. I would add that a little less velocity on some throws would result in more completed passes.

If you throw a 1,000 passes 10 yards to a receiver, which will he catch more of, the 500 thrown as hard as you can throw it or the 500 thrown with the right speed and touch for the situation?

The lack of touch is also why Bradford has so many batted passes. He should watch Manning who never throws at that speed and has far less batted passes.

RamzFanz

Damnit
HometownBoy said:
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:

1) Pettis

So instead of going for success with the risk of failure, you'd rather go for failure right away?

Sometimes fellas need to remember hindsight means absolutely nothing to what happened.

Yes, I would choose failing to make one pass over a pick six. Certainly. The ball was thrown too hard.

RamzFanz

Damnit
X said:
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:

1) Pettis

Without going back to look, I'm pretty sure I remember him dropping 2 against Dallas.

However, be that as it may, my point is, outside of the 2nd half of dallas, they have good hands as a group. I would add that a little less velocity on some throws would result in more completed passes.

If you throw a 1,000 passes 10 yards to a receiver, which will he catch more of, the 500 thrown as hard as you can throw it or the 500 thrown with the right speed and touch for the situation?

The lack of touch is also why Bradford has so many batted passes. He should watch Manning who never throws at that speed and has far less batted passes.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamzFanz said:
X said:
RamzFanz said:
V3 said:

1) Pettis

Without going back to look, I'm pretty sure I remember him dropping 2 against Dallas.

Velocity has very little to do with batted passes.