Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
People keep saying why dont we do this with Tavon Why we dont do that with Tavon. Tavon is not a traditional Wr. Teams have been playing him different then last year he cant beat man coverage hes just not a good route runner. But as far as bubble screens and reverses and jet sweeps we need to see more of those. But everybody wants him to be DJax and i just dont see it

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I do.
He's only a year and a half in.
There's still growth to be had.
Bailey is an option outside as well. He may be a better option anyway. He seems to be ahead of TA as far as running routes.

Maybe they go back to Givens at the Z. It seems Britt should move to the X either way.

Idk. I guess we'll see.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do.
He's only a year and a half in.
There's still growth to be had.
Bailey is an option outside as well. He may be a better option anyway. He seems to be ahead of TA as far as running routes.

Maybe they go back to Givens at the Z. It seems Britt should move to the X either way.

Idk. I guess we'll see.

From what i seen Bailey cant get open either only in garbage time. i would go with Britt and Givens

WvuIN02

Starter
The Brian Quick broken record is spinning still it seems, but the song name has changed.

Brian Schottenheimer + Austin Davis + second year receiver. There's your answer.

Put Tavon in Philly or Denver and he would be used exponentially better and his stats would reflect it. Speaking of Dasean Jackson himself, his stats are well off pace of what they were last year in Philly. Hmm, I wonder why that is???

lockdnram21

Legend
The Brian Quick broken record is spinning still it seems, but the song name has changed.

Brian Schottenheimer + Austin Davis + second year receiver. There's your answer.

Put Tavon in Philly or Denver and he would be used exponentially better and his stats would reflect it. Speaking of Dasean Jackson himself, his stats are well off pace of what they were last year in Philly. Hmm, I wonder why that is???
Deseans still producing. If Tavon cant get open how can u blame schotty? He needs to improve his route running

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, with Brian Quick out, hopefully the Rams actually make him a key component of the game-plan at WR. Frankly, at this point, I'd rather just see him traded. I love Tavon but I'm tired of the same old crap. Trade him to Denver, Philly, Chicago, Atlanta, Arizona, New England, Indy, San Diego, etc. and see just how much of a bust he actually is.

WvuIN02

Starter
Having Tavon run a go route isnt exactly rocket science, yet they a) dont have him run those and b) dont have a QB with the arm strength for it anyways. This is what he excelled at in college, and the underneath stuff opened up from it. The Rams drafted a receiver which thrives in a spread type of system and put him in the 3 yards and a cloud of dust Big 10 offense. Square peg round hole.

I agree with jerry, trade him to a team for a high pick who knows exactly how to use him because the Rams dont. Bailey is a good fit for what the Rams want to do though.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
The only thing I keep saying with Tavon is for him not to be used in runs up the middle. Just don't see why we would do that given his size. I don't want him to get hurt by being landed on by multiple 300+ pound lineman. I would like to see him lined up in the backfield and going out in patterns. Try to get him one on one with a linebacker. Surely he can get open past one of them. Other than that I don't know what is going on with him so I'll try to not speculate. Still way too early to label him a bust for sure. One thing is for sure though, with Quick now out someone will need to step up and get open consistently.

iced

well, there's not another better test for Schotty - see if you can still make this offense work with what you have.

Personally barring some magical turn around, it's hard to imagine him coming back after this year, especially if Tavon continues to be a non-factor

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Well, with Brian Quick out, hopefully the Rams actually make him a key component of the game-plan at WR. Frankly, at this point, I'd rather just see him traded. I love Tavon but I'm tired of the same old crap. Trade him to Denver, Philly, Chicago, Atlanta, Arizona, New England, Indy, San Diego, etc. and see just how much of a bust he actually is.

On at least four of those teams, he'd light it up like a pinball machine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Having Tavon run a go route isnt exactly rocket science, yet they a) dont have him run those and b) dont have a QB with the arm strength for it anyways. This is what he excelled at in college, and the underneath stuff opened up from it. The Rams drafted a receiver which thrives in a spread type of system and put him in the 3 yards and a cloud of dust Big 10 offense. Square peg round hole.

I agree with jerry, trade him to a team for a high pick who knows exactly how to use him because the Rams dont. Bailey is a good fit for what the Rams want to do though.

Seriously. Guy was burning people deep last year when he got the chance and yet when was the last time the Rams targeted him on a deep pass? When was the last time the Rams ran a play using the route combination for the purpose of getting Tavon isolated 1 on 1 deep? The guy has blazing speed and yet we can't figure out how to get him down-field?

Look at the Cardinals:
http://www.azcardinals.com/videos/v...n-vs-PHI/9c1b4566-7488-4ef1-ac0d-f0c9eaa0a62c

You telling me we can't do that with Tavon?

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Yea, you're telling me that John Brown for Arizona is better than Tavon Austin? It's the lack of a creative offensive coordinator.

lockdnram21

Legend
Seriously. Guy was burning people deep last year when he got the chance and yet when was the last time the Rams targeted him on a deep pass? When was the last time the Rams ran a play using the route combination for the purpose of getting Tavon isolated 1 on 1 deep? The guy has blazing speed and yet we can't figure out how to get him down-field?

Look at the Cardinals:
http://www.azcardinals.com/videos/v...n-vs-PHI/9c1b4566-7488-4ef1-ac0d-f0c9eaa0a62c

You telling me we can't do that with Tavon?
no i dont think so.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Its not all on the coordinator - but some of it is. Tavon isn't playing very well on his own. Look at his punt returns - he is dancing and prancing back there - and when was the last time we saw him break a tackle?

People complain about him running up the middle - but I kind of like that look - he is getting 5-8 per clip running up there - I'll take that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its not all on the coordinator - but some of it is. Tavon isn't playing very well on his own. Look at his punt returns - he is dancing and prancing back there - and when was the last time we saw him break a tackle?

People complain about him running up the middle - but I kind of like that look - he is getting 5-8 per clip running up there - I'll take that.

Tavon has his issues on the punt returns but we've also not blocked them well this year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Punt returns are a completely different animal.

Tavon can run a 9 route, and he's got the kind of speed that teams have to respect lest he take the top off their defense. And he's got the short area quickness that makes him difficult to press.