Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that was last year. He hasnt been able to get separation this year

Has he suddenly just lost his speed in a year? And he hasn't been able to get separation? Are you sure about that?

Where are the examples of the Rams using Austin on 9 routes and him not separating 1 on 1?

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has he suddenly just lost his speed in a year? And he hasn't been able to get separation? Are you sure about that?

Where are the examples of the Rams using Austin on 9 routes and him not separating 1 on 1?
i never said he lost his speed. i just said he hasnt been getting separation in 1-1. Every time ive seen him go down field he was covered

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i never said he lost his speed. i just said he hasnt been getting separation in 1-1. Every time ive seen him go down field he was covered

When is he going down-field? I can't recall the last time they targeted him on a deep ball. I'm not talking about using him as a decoy either to clear out the underneath coverage.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
How we use Tavon is about as puzzling as the RB rotation.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm convinced on this point, that the Rams simply haven't understood the best way to feature TA...but let's not act like when the guy gets the ball the defense isn't swarming to get the kid down too.

I won't act like I have the answers...but I think they have to get him underneath with clearing routes...and also simply put him out there as a WR sometimes. When you don't play him consistently teams will have RADAR when they see him in the huddle.

Sometimes you simply have to get him the touches and let the kid work.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Maybe running him up the middle is punishment for running sideways every time he touches the ball in space... I haven't paid attention to his route running ability but if he incorporates that stupid jump cut in the middle of a route that would explain why he can't get seperation.

And if we get rid of him he would go somewhere else and be a star... I have no doubt about that

V3

Hall of Fame
At this point, I have no fricken clue what's going on with Tavon or our offense. I'm not sure Schotty knows how to counter blitzes so that makes me wonder about his ability to use Tavon correctly. But then I see Tavon still run poor routes and looking hesitant so that makes me wonder if they aren't using him much because they don't think Tavon is capable of running other types of plays. I don't know. I'd at least just have him run a go route just to see what it looks like.

Athos

Legend
If all he can be is a decoy, which is great and all, it's a totally wasted pick just like I feared. I hated the pick, but I decided to be open and accept him. He became a Ram and I wanted him to light it up and make me puke up a heaping helping of crow. Wanted him to flash all those skills....#8 overall WRs shouldn't be developmental reaches. He has to be very good at route running and catching to make up for his diminutive size. Quick can overcome a lot because of his sheer size. Tavon? Well.

Haven't seen that. At all. They can't even seem to send him on a simple go-route it appears. His punt skills have been non-existent this year. All we've done is run him up the middle. That's been the extent of his success. Certainly not what you want out of the #8 overall in a trade up.

I wanted Nuke Hopkins bad. Catches near 70% of his targets. Stretches the field. And all while suck with a QB that isn't exactly great.

Really, what purpose does he have at this point beyond being a decoy?