Tavon Austin - can we draw a line in the sand?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Have you ever heard kicking a dead horse? Everyone knows he is over paid. That will not change this year. Rams are locked in. So guys, can we stop kicking this horse, it's dead.
Why don't you talk to the OP?
I didn't start this thread.
My response you quoted was me explaining an earlier post that Donald is unique in his abilities and Tavon is not.

So I think you're kicking the wrong horse. :D

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
but if his main job is this offense is "the speedy guy who can take (or fake) jets sweeps sometimes" then he can be replaced by any number of kids in the 5th round of any draft.
^^^This, and TA knows it. I know he is a fan favorite, but all he has is speed. He is no Dante Hall either. I am glad he is a good decoy for us. If he can start getting TDs off punts, I may give him more.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Some of you guys really need to avoid discussions on here that you know are going to irritate you.

It's not a dead horse to people who feel like discussing a certain subject it is just a dead horse to YOU.

These are sites set up to discuss things.
Just because you don't want to discuss a certain subject doesn't mean it's a dead horse to everybody.

Even saying, "everybody knows" such-and-such is ridiculous because you're not a mind reader.

I love this site but these forum police on here trying to regulate what people should be talking about is ridiculous.

That's why they have moderators who could lock the thread up if they think that it is not an appropriate conversation to have on here.

End of rant.
I'm going to go do something useful now and see if I can crush beer cans on my forehead.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is this thread really needed?!

We are 3-1, Tavon is getting paid whether we like it or not. I am not a Tavon fan, but lets see what happens this year. Lets see if Tavon can create a role in this offense. McVay has shown he can draw up plays to get many people involved. Tavon has to be next IMO for McVay.

Lets see how this season plays out with Austin. Lets worry about the salary vs production when the season is over. Lets enjoy the progress we have seen.

This was the point of this thread - to stop the salary vs production thread - I'm bored of it.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I agree completely.

To bad this thread got hijacked with all the AD stuff. You might want to edit that lol.

Todd59

Rookie
Blame fish because I don't think he was ever going to be a traditional wr

Your right, I don't think the problem is only the fault of Tavon himself. He was put into a series of systems that history has shown had no idea to draft and develop an offensive player if their lives depended on it. If TA had this coaching staff from the jump, he may be seen in the same category as a many other undersized, but speedy, recievers in the league today: TY Hilton, Stefon Diggs, Antonio Brown even? We can only hope. But we can't keep paying Tavon like that if his roll is jet sweep guy.

Do you think Justin Davis could do the same production-wise, if given the opportunity? He seemed to flash this preseason.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
And this play where he put Zack Martin on his ass? The guy who's supposed to be the best G in the league?
I don't know why he's rated higher than Osemele or Long...but whatevers....we saw who was all over that vaunted great wall of Dallas....LOL

Until we get to see Tavon...Sammy W....even Higbee & Everett...I wouldn't want to lose any of our weapons....Tavon included....Let McVay play with these pieces....

But...did yall see that Reynold's block? eewwww-weeee!!!!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This was the point of this thread - to stop the salary vs production thread - I'm bored of it.

Im sorry, I guess I missed all that, with the Austin has done more that AD and Ogletree, the If you guys CANT see how valuable Austin is your blinkered, cant you all see how McVay is using him,etc.

Im bored of it too. Austin has had some good games and McVay seems to be working him on a little more. Im excited to see what happens next. How about we focus on that and not how Austin compares to other players? Im on board for that! :)

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'll admit Tavon is electric is space, but if his main job is this offense is "the speedy guy who can take (or fake) jets sweeps sometimes" then he can be replaced by any number of kids in the 5th round of any draft. He was drafted to be a game-changing WR in the NFL, and he just hasn't been able to consistently do that.
TA missed training camp and was injured as well. I can't believe that going forward he will be limited to the same small subset of carryover plays we have seen so far, and which require no great learning curve. IMO McVay and company must be working on other routes for TA which, as Austin said, require total precision. They also require TA at really full speed-- remember, he couldn't train for two months or so. Let's just give this some time to see what our new and creative coaching staff come up with. I think Austin can play a similar role in the passing game to what he plays effectively in the running game. If he can't do it this year, fine, but I think it is too soon to write him off in this system.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The TA link to our run game is way overplayed. Run game improvement we have witnessed game to game is primarily due to blocking and execution through the second level with the entire 11 to include skill guys making blocks.

TA has some value, sure, in holding the backside. But too many, IMO, are judging his contributions with their hearts.

The Dallas game was the first game he really made a positive difference. Hope it continues but I am skeptical because I think he is a dumb player.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Oh and btw if you are tired of Tavon threads, making a new Tavon thread to complain about it is what you call "doing it wrong."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
@jjab360 & @kurtfaulk - @The Rammer hit the nail on the head - AD is playing well, but he's no way near the AD of last year, and hasn't stood out to me to be a player that deserves to be the highest paid D player - I'm sure in a couple of weeks he'll be back to his beastly best, I just think that the holdout has hurt his performance.
Well ... as far as AD is concerned .. The first 4 weeks have been his TC and Pre-Season! This week against the Hag's will be his 1st Regular Season game, and he Will Destroy Them!!

Shark-Donald-attack.gif

"I predict, Aaron will get 3 Sacks / 6 QB Hits and 3 Tackles for Loss!"

exaVP3j.jpg

khel72

Rookie
How we personally feel about Tavon is a moot point. Yes he's way overpayed but Does anybody believe McVay is gonna play him if it's not in the teams best interest? He plays when it's beneficial. They are not forcing him as in years past. If McVay/Snead feel at the end of the year he's not working out I trust this staff to make that decision. Spoiler Alert..that's probably gonna be the end result.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Say what?
Donald "opens up" just as much for the defense as Tavon does for the offense.

The pressure he applies requires special attention which opens up other players to do other things.
Donald have nine quarterback pressures against Dallas.
The only game where Donald look like a normal player and not one of the best players in the league was his first game back.
It would be much easier to replace Tavon and what he does then it would to replace Donald.

I'm not that down on Tavon but to say he does more than Donald is ridiculous.

I'll put it this way, one of these players becomes one of the richest players in NFL history next year and one of them has their contract renegotiated or gets cut or traded.

Tavon is doing a great job but he's still overpaid.
I in no way compared or said that he does less than Tavon especially when you consider each contribution on thier given units.All I said is you obviously can see that Ad’s holdout has effected his play on the field which pretty apparent. I expect him hopefully to be back to ful form in a few weeks.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
@jjab360 & @kurtfaulk - @The Rammer hit the nail on the head - AD is playing well, but he's no way near the AD of last year, and hasn't stood out to me to be a player that deserves to be the highest paid D player - I'm sure in a couple of weeks he'll be back to his beastly best, I just think that the holdout has hurt his performance.
I agree with you. Even thought disruptions are very good tackles for loss and sacks are what he gets paid on. He is very low this season in both those categories compared to his normal self at this time of year.

TexasRam

Legend
Tavon is definitely affecting Gurleys game. Hard to tell how much but it's significant.

Last game we do not win without Tavon. 6 rushes at 8 ypc. His runs came at critical times.

If he affects the game like this each week and also has a few big TD runs which I predict he will, then we may all be changing our tune at the end of the season.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I in no way compared or said that he does less than Tavon especially when you consider each contribution on thier given units.All I said is you obviously can see that Ad’s holdout has effected his play on the field which pretty apparent. I expect him hopefully to be back to ful form in a few weeks.
Cool. My main point was that he is definitely FULLY back as proven by his incredible performance vs Dallas.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'd like to see him have more impact as a receiver, but nevertheless, McVay used Tavon very effectively the other day. Wonder how he'd do coming out of the backfield as a receiver ... trying to imagine him running that route that led to Gurley's go-ahead TD.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The TA link to our run game is way overplayed. Run game improvement we have witnessed game to game is primarily due to blocking and execution through the second level with the entire 11 to include skill guys making blocks.

TA has some value, sure, in holding the backside. But too many, IMO, are judging his contributions with their hearts.

The Dallas game was the first game he really made a positive difference. Hope it continues but I am skeptical because I think he is a dumb player.
One thing I noticed about you in a lot of your post you are quick to call players “dumb” or slow Just not cool imo.
But to get to the point of your post to say this was the only game Austin had an impact in isn’t fair to him or accurate because Gurley rookie year Austin was one of the Main reasons why he had so much success it’s no stretch to see why he is having that success again this season. Even last year his most successful runs came off of Austin