Tavon 7th in touchdowns now....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WvuIN02

Starter
Touchdowns
1. ODB jr 12 tds
1. Tyler Eifert 12 tds
1. Allen Robinson 12 tds
4. Doug Martin 11 tds
4. Devonta Freeman 11 tds
4. Brandon Marshall 11 tds
7. Tavon Austin 10 tds
7. Rob Gronkowski 10 tds
7. DeAndre Hopkins 10 tds

I'd say he's in pretty damn good company on that list! I know he is a week ahead now, but I also know he doesn't see nearly as many targets as nearly all of those guys....and all on an offense that is near the bottom of the NFL without many weapons around him.

Hopefully the "bust" threads go away for good after this season.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I really like what Boras is doing with him. I'd possibly like to see a few more touches a game, but he made a BIG impact with the ones he got last night.

Go Tavon.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
He's doing exactly what I expected him to be doing. Just took a little while to get there. He's had a couple punt returns called back for penalties too... bogus penalties.

WvuIN02

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is the sad part:

Look at his targets vs some of those same guys on that list......you'll have to scroll down for awhile to get to him.......compare that to the other guys on the list above and its even more impressive. Most of those are getting more than 2x or close to it than he gets.

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/targets/

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
This is the sad part:

Look at his targets vs some of those same guys on that list......you'll have to scroll down for awhile to get to him.......compare that to the other guys on the list above and its even more impressive. Most of those are getting more than 2x or close to it than he gets.

Yea, he's definitely a guy we need to re-sign. If we replaced Quick with someone who performs, our WR's would be competitive.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
That's the thing though, people clamoring for him to get more touches, but he's been doing really well this season.

More touches may actually reduce his impact as defenses key on him. It' just balance like everything else.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Tavon is the most electrifying player I've ever seen. If anyone can be compared to Barry Sanders in shiftiness and stop to start acceleration, it's TA. Just an insane athlete. He deserves the pro bowl this year.

Psycho_X

Legend
Go only a couple more spots down that list and you see Gurley at number 9 as well... I think second for all RBs. How we are so bad on offense with these two astounds me. We are so close to being so good it kills me. Boras definitely has helped some but I couldn't help but cringe the third time we used the same sweep to Tavon that the defense was all over. There are hundreds of ways an offense could use Tavon's talents and Gurleys to spread defenses out and not run the same damn play over and over again. It just kills me.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the brief time I was able to watch, they had a stat on him about TD's running punts back, receiving TDs and running TDs...

Whatever it was, he is the first to have accomplished the feat since 1965!

Maybe someone else remembers what the criteria was... but pretty impressive nonetheless.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
For the brief time I was able to watch, they had a stat on him about TD's running punts back, receiving TDs and running TDs...

Whatever it was, he is the first to have accomplished the feat since 1965!

Maybe someone else remembers what the criteria was... but pretty impressive nonetheless.
First player since Gale Sayers to have at least 4 rushing touchdowns, 5 receiving touchdowns and a punt return touchdown in the same season.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is the sad part:

I think Austin can be a guy who gets you 2,500+ yards between rushing, receiving and punt returns and around 16-18 TD's, provided the Rams stop losing his big returns on penalties.

Think Josh Cribbs but with way, WAY more potential in the passing/running game.

This is a really unique player and he's going to have a very memorable career. I'm glad the Rams have him, I like the kid he seems like a good egg and he can flat out PLAY like a muthafucka.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First player since Gale Sayers to have at least 4 rushing touchdowns, 5 receiving touchdowns and a punt return touchdown in the same season.
Thanks! Impressive!!

Keep up the mo, Tavon!!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
As others have said, it is insane to think how many more TDs Austin would have if he got more targets and his punt returns were not always negated by team-mates taking penalties.

He may not be a conventional wide receiver, but the object of the game is to score more points than your opposition. Tavon is a threat to score from anywhere on the field, and will get just as many (if not more) TDs than almost any other receiver in the NFL when used appropriately. Very happy we traded up to get him. Invaluable weapon and a treat to watch. He might be the most entertaining player out there. There is no other player quite like him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I really like what Boras is doing with him. I'd possibly like to see a few more touches a game, but he made a BIG impact with the ones he got last night.

Go Tavon.

He had seven touches. Seven extremely effective touches, as always. 1.4 more than his average last season.

I'm not impressed with the way they use him, at all. 50 plays, very low, and the most successful player gets seven?

TA is getting hosed. I know some here don't agree, but TA is more productive than anyone on the team, even more than TG, and it's not even close. It's just a fact. People want to claim he will decline with more touches, but he doesn't.

Every Rams win has TA over 5 touches. Every one. And he blows every non-RB and RB out in the run. 9.1 YPC. Best in the NFL.

What did he get today? Seven touches and TWO TDs, 8 YPC. Whatever the Rams do, don't let him touch the ball.

rant/

Last edited:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Agreed. We need Austin getting more targets.Particularly through the air. I don't know why they refuse to throw to him unless it is behind the line of scrimmage or deep down field (where he sometimes gets open using his speed, but more often is covered). You think after his game against Indy two seasons ago we would try and replicate some of that success in the passing game with Austin.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It would be interesting if we went with a 1WR set with Tavon so we can set him up one on one with a CB at all times. You could hand it off to Todd or reverse it to Tavon. Crazy play action out of it too. TA should get 15 touches per game minimum. He's starting to get open more too.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It would be interesting if we went with a 1WR set with Tavon so we can set him up one on one with a CB at all times. You could hand it off to Todd or reverse it to Tavon. Crazy play action out of it too. TA should get 15 touches per game minimum. He's starting to get open more too.

15? Now you're talking. I was hoping for 10, but I would lay money he would rock every game at 15. TA and 15 touches is 100+ yards and a TD all day, on a slow day.

TA is not the big play once in awhile TA of the past. Dude is delivering like a clock. He's been a mule all season when the fools gave him the rock. All he does is deliver. We should call him FedEx.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavon doesn't have the frame for 15 touches a game. I think 10 on average would be about right.

But most of Tavon's damage has come on mis-direction plays. He's a playmaker to be sure, but IMO we should keep giving him the touches he's getting and then throw the ball downfield to him more. He's our fastest WR and it's not even close.