Taunting Call..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
And I never suggested eliminating celebrations.

I simply ask this?

Why isnt that specific penalty enforced when it occurs during the course of a play? (before he crosses the goal line)

Don't ask me, if a penalty occurs in the field of play, by the scoring team, it should be called back. I mean, its not like Jake Longs "tripping" call changed the outcome of Tavons TD. Tjat dude never would have gotten to Sam.

Some penalties make no sense.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I quite enjoyed the tumble he took through the end zone when Rodney gave him the shove.

I almost hoped he didn't get up from it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And I never suggested eliminating celebrations.

I simply ask this?

Why isnt that specific penalty enforced when it occurs during the course of a play? (before he crosses the goal line)
I know I've seen that called during the play recently. However it may have been during a college game. I wonder if the rule is written the same way. It's not like the refs know how to enforce all the rules during the game. I didn't see the Taint play but in the play I watched, the receiver turned around and wagged his finger at the defender. I believe they called a spot foul but I am almost positive the TD didn't count.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
They need to make it like "Blitz" the game if someone taunts your allowed to just close line them, body slam or uppercut them. then drop a leg/knee on there ass. But it must be during the taunt. Problem solved. :heh:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would love for that to be the case. Roughing the passer brings the ball back too. What you propose would put an end to taunting in a heartbeat, but then it also might open up a can of worms. They'd have to essentially eliminate all celebrations (offensive and defensive). And I really wouldn't mind that either.
Amen Brother!
I always and I mean ALWAYS point to the fact the 1960's and 1970's era rarely of never had anyone celebrating and guys played for the love of the game. Getting a signature move on NFL Madden is more important now. I've become my father in that respect, longing for the good ol' days. Time marches on, things change and idiots like Golden Taint ruin/tarnish the code of good sportsmanship while making crazy jack. Not fair.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I was hoping when the Leod caught up to him he would have leaned into him make him earn his end zone trip by tasting all the grass the end zone had to offer.

As for taking the play back, yeah that's what they would do if they honestly wanted to enforce it, but they don't really want to. They don't wanna open that can of worms with the fans who are looking for any reason to say that they're neutering the NFL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Saw this on ESPN moments ago. You guys may get your wish:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9903854/dean-blandino-nfl-mull-taunting-rule-tweak

Head of officiating Dean Blandino said the NFL's competition committee likely will review the league's taunting rule this offseason.

Blandino, in an appearance on NFL Network, was explaining the penalty assessed on Golden Taint and the Seattle Seahawks on Monday night, after the wide receiver began waving at and taunting St. Louis defenders at the Rams' 25-yard line en route to an 80-yard touchdown.

Blandino explained that in the NFL, taunting is a dead-ball foul, which means the play counts and a penalty is assessed on the next play. He compared that to college rules, which would have nullified the touchdown and assessed a penalty at the spot of the foul, meaning instead of a touchdown the Seahawks would have been at the Rams' 40.

"A lot of people felt that the touchdown shouldn't have counted [but] a taunting foul is always treated as a dead-ball foul, meaning whatever happened during the play counts, and the foul is enforced on the next play, which would be the kickoff," Blandino said. "In college, this action would take back the touchdown."

Blandino said he is sure the rule is something the competition committee will look at in the offseason.

The competition committee is a group of eight coaches and executives who review rules each year, discuss and debate them, and present them to ownership at the owners' meeting in March. Rams coach Jeff Fisher is a member of the committee.

Other members of the committee include: Atlanta Falcons executive Rich McKay, Dallas Cowboys executive Stephen Jones, Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, New York Giantsco-owner John Mara, Green Bay Packers executive Mark Murphy, Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith and Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

Taint apologized Monday night after the Seahawks were penalized 15 yards for his taunting penalty.

"That was immature of me. Hurt my team. I've gotta stay composed. ... Act like I've been there before," Taint said. "I gotta apologize to our special teams. I put them in an awkward situation, but more happy to get up and learn from it and move forward."

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't promote player safety, doesn't keep players from having an unfair advantage, keeping a player's feelings from getting hurt shouldn't have such a huge effect on the outcome of the game. Not to mention the large gray area that would come with such a rule.

Did the Patterson TD that got called back last year in college football really deserve to be negated because he ran into the endzone sideways?
It would promote player safety if there was a concern of retaliation
Its the only penalty that gets called during play, yet doesnt impact the play in progress.
But your point is a good one

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Because it would eliminate it from happening again.
And yes, in case anyone is wondering, I would support that rule if it went against the Rams.
As would I. There is no place for that in our game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"I come out of a different era...You did that to me we'd break your legs".
-- Deacon Jones

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Penalize them by making them kick a 50 yard extra point :D

LLittle12

UDFA
I don't like it. If the Rams won a game for a TD being called back for a non contact, non procedure type call it would feel dirty. If they lost a game for it I would be enraged. If Clemens were to score on that last drive with a naked boot, pumping his fist on the way in at the nearest defender I would have loved it.

If you don't want to be taunted, then shut them down. But I would have been fine with a little taunting of a Seahags player.

LLittle12

UDFA
Sure they did. The Rams were the catalyst for a rule change with regard to team celebrations. Every team the Rams faced likely complained. And you touched upon a point I made earlier that has some merit. If you institute a harsher rule as it pertains to "taunting", then a lot of other celebratory actions will probably be pooled into that new rule. But what Jenkins did is markedly different from what Taint did, and it's not even close. You don't disrespect another team and its players like that, and even Bubble Gum made it a point to pull Taint aside afterward. Ike and Torry never did anything remotely similar on their way to a score.

Holt and Bruce never did it, but plenty of Rams players have and I didn't have a problem with it. :)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Holt and Bruce never did it, but plenty of Rams players have and I didn't have a problem with it. :)

Wonder if they would consider the famous play with Az and Torry jawing down the sideline taunting. Anyway, I'm a little torn on this. But if it is a penalty then it's a penalty and it should be enforced when it happens - period. It may be a little harsh but if your intent is to get rid of the taunting, then taking a couple TDs away will do it. I guarantee coaches will put a stop to it before it begins. If a player is still hell bent on doing it despite the damage to the team, he won't be playing long.

Personally, I think actual taunting is punk ass and shouldn't be allowed. Throw the flag and end the play right there. But I also think all these sack dances are dumb ass shit too. Celebrate after a score.... chest bump, high five, hell... tackle your guy that scored. Come over after your DE just sacked a guy and do the same. That's emotion and it belongs. Direct it at another player or a team - instant flag. Do a look at me dance - instant flag - at minimum for delay of game while being a douche. In fact, the ref should come out and say just that. "Delay of game while being a douche, #18 offense."

I never understood the concept of the NFL banning team celebrations after a score. Now it has to only be the individual doing his stupid ass little dance. And let's face it. Most of them are flat out eye rollers. But it has become all about dance move. It makes me sick when the douchy reporter asks a player if they've come up with the move they're going to make if they score or get a sack. I want to slap the bitch.

How about you celebrate for a few seconds WITH YOUR TEAM and move on. The team got you in that endzone or occupied a blocker so you could get that sack. Screw the look at me dances and antics. Oh... and could someone please tell Chris his moves just aren't pretty. No one that rythmically challenged should try to come up with a dance move.:disappoint::cheese:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The penalty for something like this ought to be loss of PAT.