Taunting Call..

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

I have never looked at how the rule is written, but if the NFL wants to curb taunting they may want to look at the way it is enforced.

Last night as an example..

How come the taunting penalty is not enforced before the play has ended? Any other penalty that occurred during the course of the play would be enforced. Why not taunting?

If the NFL wants to curb taunting they need to start calling back the play (if the penalty has occurred before scoring) , enforce 15 yards, and do the play over.

What exactly did Taint learn from the penalty last night? After an ensuing penalty call on the Rams STs, the Hawks were essentially penalized 2 yards.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I would love for that to be the case. Roughing the passer brings the ball back too. What you propose would put an end to taunting in a heartbeat, but then it also might open up a can of worms. They'd have to essentially eliminate all celebrations (offensive and defensive). And I really wouldn't mind that either.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I agree with enforcing this penalty just like any other and disagree that it would eliminate all celebrations, they don't penalize for all of them now. Although to be honest I don't see the need for some of the "showmanship" and constant trash talking. It would not hurt my feelings to see all of that crap go away.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree with enforcing this penalty just like any other and disagree that it would eliminate all celebrations, they don't penalize for all of them now. Although to be honest I don't see the need for some of the "showmanship" and constant trash talking. It would not hurt my feelings to see all of that crap go away.
I only said it might eliminate all celebrations, because it (celebrating) *could* fall into the category of taunting if that kind of rule were to be implemented.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I had to laugh when they called that last night after watching the refs willfully ignore Steve Smith's over the fucking top taunt just last week.

There's no fucking excuse for the total inconsistency in calls like this. The lack of accountability from the zebras is ruining my trust in the NFL. Complete Bull Shit.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Taunting after the play should remain as is. Taunting during the play should bring it back.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Taunting after the play should remain as is. Taunting during the play should bring it back.
Works for me.
And a D-lineman should get one shot with the guy's helmet off.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I have never looked at how the rule is written, but if the NFL wants to curb taunting they may want to look at the way it is enforced.

Last night as an example..

How come the taunting penalty is not enforced before the play has ended? Any other penalty that occurred during the course of the play would be enforced. Why not taunting?

If the NFL wants to curb taunting they need to start calling back the play (if the penalty has occurred before scoring) , enforce 15 yards, and do the play over.

What exactly did Taint learn from the penalty last night? After an ensuing penalty call on the Rams STs, the Hawks were essentially penalized 2 yards.

I was thinking the same thing.

Why shouldn't that play be called back as with any other penalty?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
One could argue that the GSOT did a lot of taunting and nobody complained then.

Just to be objective, how is Tates taunting different than Jenkins looking at Rice/Taint (cant remember which) and doing the "Incomplete Pass" motion with his arms after breaking up a pass?

If you don't want to be taunted, don't let them score on you.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I had to laugh when they called that last night after watching the refs willfully ignore Steve Smith's over the freaking top taunt just last week.

There's no freaking excuse for the total inconsistency in calls like this. The lack of accountability from the zebras is ruining my trust in the NFL. Complete Bull shyte.
The difference in last night and last week was the refs last night were just calling the game as they saw it and last week they had an agenda!

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Just to be objective, how is Tates taunting different than Jenkins looking at Rice/Taint (cant remember which) and doing the "Incomplete Pass" motion with his arms after breaking up a pass?

Or how about acting like they have been there before.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Sure they did. The Rams were the catalyst for a rule change with regard to team celebrations. Every team the Rams faced likely complained. And you touched upon a point I made earlier that has some merit. If you institute a harsher rule as it pertains to "taunting", then a lot of other celebratory actions will probably be pooled into that new rule. But what Jenkins did is markedly different from what Taint did, and it's not even close. You don't disrespect another team and its players like that, and even Bubble Gum made it a point to pull Taint aside afterward. Ike and Torry never did anything remotely similar on their way to a score.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, it shows poor sportsmanship, but why should it negate a TD?
Because it would eliminate it from happening again.
And yes, in case anyone is wondering, I would support that rule if it went against the Rams.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Or how about acting like they have been there before.

I think it might have been Ochocinco that said it, "Don't act like you've been there before, act like you'll never be there again."

These dudes get paid millions of dollars to play a game and their careers are not guaranteed to last longer than the next play. I'm fine with some fun. Its entertaining.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it might have been Ochocinco that said it, "Don't act like you've been there before, act like you'll never be there again."

These dudes get paid millions of dollars to play a game and their careers are not guaranteed to last longer than the next play. I'm fine with some fun. Its entertaining.

And I never suggested eliminating celebrations.

I simply ask this?

Why isnt that specific penalty enforced when it occurs during the course of a play? (before he crosses the goal line)

jjab360

Legend
Because it would eliminate it from happening again.
And yes, in case anyone is wondering, I would support that rule if it went against the Rams.
It doesn't promote player safety, doesn't keep players from having an unfair advantage, keeping a player's feelings from getting hurt shouldn't have such a huge effect on the outcome of the game. Not to mention the large gray area that would come with such a rule.

Did the Patterson TD that got called back last year in college football really deserve to be negated because he ran into the endzone sideways?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It doesn't promote player safety, doesn't keep players from having an unfair advantage, keeping a player's feelings from getting hurt shouldn't have such a huge effect on the outcome of the game. Not to mention the large gray area that would come with such a rule.

Did the Patterson TD that got called back last year in college football really deserve to be negated because he ran into the endzone sideways?
Like I said. It's an interesting proposal, but it leaves room for much interpretation for officials that already suck.
I still like the premise though.