Tale of the Tape: Week 5 - Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guys, I have bad news for you...this isn't going to be pretty. Sam had a really bad day and missed a lot of open WRs and throws that he should have made. If you don't like an unbiased realist's take on Sam...I recommend you stop reading now.

Here it is:
m4dq.png

qws5.png

What a terrible play by Sam here. He has the WR open early in the play if he makes the throw. Instead, he holds it far too long and ends up throwing a duck straight to the defender. Luckily for Sam, the defender drops the ball.

u7wr.png

Sam has a wide open target underneath but instead, he locks onto the WR running the cross who is blanketed, holds onto the ball too long and basically has to throw it away.

k2er.png

It's 3rd down and Sam has a wide open WR at the sticks for a first down but instead tries to force it down the seam into double coverage.

cj9v.png

Sam makes a great read here and the TE has a step in coverage but instead of leading the TE, he throws it behind him and the TE can't make the catch. Bad throw.

dyef.png

Sam has a WR running WIDE OPEN on a flag route but instead locks onto and checks down to the HB.

dneb.png

Sam actually had a WR open on the seam earlier in the play but holds onto the ball, the WR on the sideline works himself open for what could have been a TD but Sam never sees him and takes an unnecessary sack on 3rd down.

aul9.png

Play-action and the LBs bite...Sam has his WR open across the seam. All he has to do is drop the ball in. Instead, he holds onto it, the LBs recover and he has to throw it away.

xl9s.png

Sam has two open WRs down the seam but instead forces the ball to his WR on the outside who is well covered. Locking onto WRs again.

And, of course, Sam lost us the game with this throw:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000257167/Adam-Jones-intercepts-Tom-Brady-to-secure-Bengals-win" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... engals-win</a>

As you guys can see, Sam played terribly against the Bengals and cost us a win with his poor vision, locking onto WRs and some bad thro...wait...hold up...we played the Jaguars and won?

Sorry guys, I have the wrong QB here. :ww:
-------------------------------------------------------------

But on a serious note, I did this purely out of curiosity and it seems that every QB makes some mistakes...especially when you're looking at aerial still-shots.

Sam has his faults. Faults that sometimes frustrate me. But...I have a feeling you could second guess just about any QB in the NFL using this same method if you really wanted to.

I plan on doing the same thing for Sam on the Jaguars game. Just thought I'd try to give a little perspective that this sort of thing does happen to other QBs. I find that it's nice to see where plays could have been made which is why I think it's useful. Plus you guys get to see some things you wouldn't otherwise. However, it's not quite as damning of evidence as some make it out to be.

There are certainly plays that I would say are damning evidence...but the majority are simply opportunities that were open for a split second and were missed...and that happens to every QB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well done. That's exactly what I was hoping you'd do at some point

sent via Tapatalk.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I saw the giant B on the 50 and wondered, "When the hell did we play the Bengals?"

Graphicker

Starter
You're only setting yourself up Jrry.. :cool: :cool:
Building your self up to be knocked down again..

But buy I do pray we turn this ship around...

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I starting reading your post and got depressed. Then I saw the pic and laughed. Brady had a stinker for sure.

Balzer was all over the Brady Sam comparison yesterday. Funny stuff.

Brady has a 56.6% completion rate this year. He needs a better supporting cast, though his OL is still a lot better than what Sam has had.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Graphicker said:

Not really. I'm fairly neutral at this point but I think this adds some perspective. Every QB misses open WRs from time to time. Not to say that Sam does it less than Brady or equally. Nor am I saying Sam is on Brady's level. Only that if you want to nit-pick, you can do it for every QB. And boy do I enjoy nitpicking. :lol: :ww:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I know these pics are small... but Sam is looking extremely gay in them for some reason.

Graphicker

Starter
jrry32 said:
Graphicker said:

Not really. I'm fairly neutral at this point but I think this adds some perspective. Every QB misses open WRs from time to time. Not to say that Sam does it less than Brady or equally. Nor am I saying Sam is on Brady's level. Only that if you want to nit-pick, you can do it for every QB. And boy do I enjoy nitpicking. :lol: :ww:

My man.. Do one of Gabbert for the LOL's. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
jrry32 said:
Graphicker said:

great post jrry every and i mean every QB does this. check out how Peyton allmost got welker killed a couple of times. and no i am not comparing anyone just stating facts that every QB does these things.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Selassie I said:
I know these pics are small... but Sam is looking extremely gay in them for some reason.

:lmao:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Graphicker said:
jrry32 said:
Graphicker said:

My man.. Do one of Gabbert for the LOL's. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I don't have that sort of time or room on my free photo hosting accounts. :ww:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
That is exactly why I stopped going to the RRF site. There is a certain poster there that does that same thing every week, even after Sam has a great game, making very few mistakes, and we win the game. It's like let it go, we didn't draft Suh, and it can be alot worse. We could have drafted Gabbert or Locker or someone dreadful like that.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
It's always "easy" to see things in hindsight after a game. What kills me when people do these things and judge the qb as if it's easy to be a QB in the NFL. Example missed that wide-open Reciver here. I always think we'll if it's that easy then let's see how you do lmao

moklerman

Warner-phile
HE WITH HORNS said:
That is exactly why I stopped going to the RRF site. There is a certain poster there that does that same thing every week, even after Sam has a great game, making very few mistakes, and we win the game. It's like let it go, we didn't draft Suh, and it can be alot worse. We could have drafted Gabbert or Locker or someone dreadful like that.
I should probably follow your lead. I'm down to just two Rams boards and it really should just be one.

There are posts over there right now advocating benching Bradford and seeing what Clemens can do, cutting Bradford and drafting a variety of choices, etc. Look at all the QB's who are truly struggling in established offense this year-Schaub, Manning, Kaepernick, Palmer, Flacco, Brady, etc. and yet the vitriol for Bradford has never been stronger(for some).

It's true that he and the offense have a lot of room for improvement but if he's putting up these numbers while the offense has yet to really get in gear...man, I'm excited to see what happens when all these young guys start to come together.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Selassie I said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
moklerman said:
HE WITH HORNS said:
I should probably follow your lead. I'm down to just two Rams boards and it really should just be one.

There are posts over there right now advocating benching Bradford and seeing what Clemens can do, cutting Bradford and drafting a variety of choices, etc. Look at all the QB's who are truly struggling in established offense this year-Schaub, Manning, Kaepernick, Palmer, Flacco, Brady, etc. and yet the vitriol for Bradford has never been stronger(for some).

It's true that he and the offense have a lot of room for improvement but if he's putting up these numbers while the offense has yet to really get in gear...man, I'm excited to see what happens when all these young guys start to come together.

+1 ... Twice.

TexasRam

Legend
Some say its all about the QB's.

Maybe it's all about the WR's.

Brady is bad without good WR's. Let's see what happens when Gronk comes back.

Manning has never had a team without top WR's. Now that he has Brady's go to guy (Welker) Mannings numbers skyrocket to record setting levels.

How good would Montana or Young have been without Rice? Actually Young was horrible before he had Rice.

Rivers fell off dramatically last year after he lost Vincent Jackson and when Gates was injured.

Let's see how good Ryan looks without Julio Jones and Roddy White.

I always found it interesting how much better Bradford was when Amendola was healthy. Even without Givens we compete with the best team in the NFL (Niners) because Amendola is uncoverable. Without Amendola Sam's numbers dramatically fell off.

Anyways, Nice post JRRY. Literally every QB misses open WR's. I have never put any stock in those all-22 tapes as any sort of proof of anything.

It's all about the first few progressions and whether those WR's can get open. Scanning the field for these "open WR's" in the 3rd and 4th option is very rarely an option unless a QB has a consistent clean pocket so he can feel comfortable sitting in there looking around. Even Manning gets set quick and throws before the defense is set. He just happens to have the defense beat on the play call and open WR's in the early progressions.

TexasRam said:
Some say its all about the QB's.

Maybe it's all about the WR's.

Brady is bad without good WR's. Let's see what happens when Gronk comes back.

Manning has never had a team without top WR's. Now that he has Brady's go to guy (Welker) Mannings numbers skyrocket to record setting levels.

How good would Montana or Young have been without Rice? Actually Young was horrible before he had Rice.

Rivers fell off dramatically last year after he lost Vincent Jackson and when Gates was injured.

Let's see how good Ryan looks without Julio Jones and Roddy White.

I always found it interesting how much better Bradford was when Amendola was healthy. Even without Givens we compete with the best team in the NFL (Niners) because Amendola is uncoverable. Without Amendola Sam's numbers dramatically fell off.

Anyways, Nice post JRRY. Literally every QB misses open WR's. I have never put any stock in those all-22 tapes as any sort of proof of anything.

It's all about the first few progressions and whether those WR's can get open. Scanning the field for these "open WR's" in the 3rd and 4th option is very rarely an option unless a QB has a consistent clean pocket so he can feel comfortable sitting in there looking around. Even Manning gets set quick and throws before the defense is set. He just happens to have the defense beat on the play call and open WR's in the early progressions.

How much better was Bradford with Amendola, just looking at the numbers:
Amendola plays greater than 50% of snaps: 199 comp-332 att-2151 yds-14 TDs-8 INTs-83 Passer rating
Amendola plays less than 50% of snaps: 129 comp-219 att-1551 yds-7 TDs-5 INTs-81.8 Passer rating

Doesn't look that much better.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
jrry32 said:
Guys, I have bad news for you...this isn't going to be pretty. Sam had a really bad day and missed a lot of open WRs and throws that he should have made. If you don't like an unbiased realist's take on Sam...I recommend you stop reading now.

Here it is:
m4dq.png

qws5.png

What a terrible play by Sam here. He has the WR open early in the play if he makes the throw. Instead, he holds it far too long and ends up throwing a duck straight to the defender. Luckily for Sam, the defender drops the ball.

u7wr.png

Sam has a wide open target underneath but instead, he locks onto the WR running the cross who is blanketed, holds onto the ball too long and basically has to throw it away.

k2er.png

It's 3rd down and Sam has a wide open WR at the sticks for a first down but instead tries to force it down the seam into double coverage.

cj9v.png

Sam makes a great read here and the TE has a step in coverage but instead of leading the TE, he throws it behind him and the TE can't make the catch. Bad throw.

dyef.png

Sam has a WR running WIDE OPEN on a flag route but instead locks onto and checks down to the HB.

dneb.png

Sam actually had a WR open on the seam earlier in the play but holds onto the ball, the WR on the sideline works himself open for what could have been a TD but Sam never sees him and takes an unnecessary sack on 3rd down.

aul9.png

Play-action and the LBs bite...Sam has his WR open across the seam. All he has to do is drop the ball in. Instead, he holds onto it, the LBs recover and he has to throw it away.

xl9s.png

Sam has two open WRs down the seam but instead forces the ball to his WR on the outside who is well covered. Locking onto WRs again.

And, of course, Sam lost us the game with this throw:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000257167/Adam-Jones-intercepts-Tom-Brady-to-secure-Bengals-win" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... engals-win</a>

As you guys can see, Sam played terribly against the Bengals and cost us a win with his poor vision, locking onto WRs and some bad thro...wait...hold up...we played the Jaguars and won?

Sorry guys, I have the wrong QB here. :ww:
-------------------------------------------------------------

But on a serious note, I did this purely out of curiosity and it seems that every QB makes some mistakes...especially when you're looking at aerial still-shots.

Sam has his faults. Faults that sometimes frustrate me. But...I have a feeling you could second guess just about any QB in the NFL using this same method if you really wanted to.

I plan on doing the same thing for Sam on the Jaguars game. Just thought I'd try to give a little perspective that this sort of thing does happen to other QBs. I find that it's nice to see where plays could have been made which is why I think it's useful. Plus you guys get to see some things you wouldn't otherwise. However, it's not quite as damning of evidence as some make it out to be.

There are certainly plays that I would say are damning evidence...but the majority are simply opportunities that were open for a split second and were missed...and that happens to every QB.

Jerry, me thinks you may be obsessed. We did not play the Bengals in week 5. If I am correct that is the "walks on water" T. Brady who you are breaking down.

EDIT: Okay, I get it now. I guess I get a bit defensive early in the AM. :cheese: