Take It or Leave It.. Rams high draft picks aren't doing enough?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams High Draft picks aren't doing enough?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
A decent segment on E$PN 101 today. What do you think. I would have to agree to a certain extent. Just saying... Give the segment a listen, then cast your vote. Makes for a good discussion considering we're on a bye week.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I agree. Not getting enough of a return at the moment from a lot of high picks.

In particular we need more from T.Austin, Ogletree, Pead (I know he's thurt so I expect more next year instead but he's been underwhelming so far - you don't draft a RB in the second to be a special teamer), Brockers, and GRob (I know its very early but I would have hoped he could beat out Davin Joseph).

Add that to some big money FA signings that haven't worked (Cortland Finnegan, Davin Joseph, Scott Wells (admittedly he's played a lot of snaps for us) and you see where we are.

Not too easy to say "we should be playing more of our picks than the superbowl champ Seahawks. Its about position and quality. Justin Britt is playing because the Seahawks didn't have as good as a RT as J Barksdahle. Would he be starting on the Rams? Doubt it. Would Grob be starting on the Hawks? Maybe.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

In particular we need more from T.Austin, Ogletree, Pead (I know he's thurt so I expect more next year instead but he's been underwhelming so far - you don't draft a RB in the second to be a special teamer), Brockers, and GRob (I know its very early but I would have hoped he could beat out Davin Joseph).

Add that to some big money FA signings that haven't worked (Cortland Finnegan, Davin Joseph, Scott Wells (admittedly he's played a lot of snaps for us) and you see where we are.

Not too easy to say "we should be playing more of our picks than the superbowl champ Seahawks. Its about position and quality. Justin Britt is playing because the Seahawks didn't have as good as a RT as J Barksdahle. Would he be starting on the Rams? Doubt it. Would Grob be starting on the Hawks? Maybe.

Agreed for the most part here. Let me ask you this though.. Has Tre Mason even seen the field in the regular season? Just adding another..

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Agreed for the most part here. Let me ask you this though.. Has Tre Mason even seen the field in the regular season? Just adding another..

Very true. I wasn't even counting him. Its very early though. And re: Mason - we're hitting on Tre Watts as an UDFA so the 3rd rounder not starting isn't hurting so much.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Very true. I wasn't even counting him. Its very early though. And re: Mason - we're hitting on Tre Watts as an UDFA so the 3rd rounder not starting isn't hurting so much.

True on Watts, but Mason is a 3rd rounder now. Just saying and playing devils advocate. One would think Mason would have seen the field long before Watts?

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I think the entire roster needs to step it up to be honest. Can't just blame a few recent draft picks.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

Curious as to why you voted nay then? :cool:

RamzFanz

Damnit
True on Watts, but Mason is a 3rd rounder now. Just saying and playing devils advocate. One would think Mason would have seen the field long before Watts?

You guys. You draft for talent and upside more than start now. I have no doubt Robinson will be a beast when he's ready. I also love that they have time to work with him before throwing him into the fire. Mason is taking more time but his upside is awesome and he's NOT NEEDED right now but when we do need him, he'll be there. I have ZERO problem with Snisher stealing a Watts that the entire league whiffed on. Good for them!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Here is a look at Fisher/Snead Drafts through 3 Years. Only first 3 rounds are being considered as 'Top of Draft' Black= Starting Green =Situational Starter (Bailey is Marginal but for example I included him) Red = Not Playing

I would throw out the A and the F and grade from there.
Out of 13 Players 7 are starters 3 are situational Starters/Contributors
and 2 don't play at all.+ Pead on IR
I tried not to use anything but facts without taking to much liberty.
What is the Call after breaking it down like this?

2012 RD
Brockers 1
Quick 2
Jenkins 2
Pead 2
T Johnson 3

T Austin 1
A Ogletree 1
TJ Mcdonald 3
S Bailey 3

G Robinson 1

A Donald 1
L Joyner 2

T Mason 3

Last edited:

209RamsFan

I say Fisher, Snead and Stan need to turn up the intensity by 100000 notches and step it up

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Bailey should not be a Situational Starter.

I hope you are right.

Say Bailey was a starter which I don't believe he ever has been. Then in a 2 WR set like we usually show as our starting lineup either Quick or Austin would be demoted leaving the stats the same since all three are in the example. In a 3 wr set 2 + slot then yes it could be argued but lets let Bailey earn a start first.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys. You draft for talent and upside more than start now. I have no doubt Robinson will be a beast when he's ready. I also love that they have time to work with him before throwing him into the fire. Mason is taking more time but his upside is awesome and he's NOT NEEDED right now but when we do need him, he'll be there. I have ZERO problem with Snisher stealing a Watts that the entire league whiffed on. Good for them!

Seriously. You'd think that seeing Quick playing the way he is would calm people down. Players develop at their own rate. Rushing it doesn't help them. Just be patient. The best players aren't always the ones that produce the quickest results.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If even ONE of those made up calls that went against us in the last game didn't get called, we would be 2-1 and everyone would be hailing Austin Davis as the next Kurt Warner, and how we are gonna have such a great winning season. And now we are talking about how all of our draft picks are busts, and how we are gonna have the #1 pick in the draft. I'm just so tired of it.

RamWoodie

Legend
Folks have NO PATIENCE!!! You draft based on potential. Nothing is written in stone that says these players have to contribute right away. Regardless of how good they are there's a learning curve.

I understand wanting to see the Rams win...but don't take it out on these young players. Go donw the list and see how many #1 picks had IMMEDIATE IMPACT...not many.

Take a chill pill! For the record...I think we got plenty of return from Ogletree, Brockers, and TA just to name three...and THEY'RE STILL LEARNING!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Seriously. You'd think that seeing Quick playing the way he is would calm people down. Players develop at their own rate. Rushing it doesn't help them. Just be patient. The best players aren't always the ones that produce the quickest results.

Ask these same people if they thought Quinn was worth the wait.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I completely agree that players develop at different rates and not starting immediately is not an indicator of a player not Necessarily playing up to his potential.
You can argue that we are told by the front office that we are building through the draft and that is the reason we are not very active in free agency and that is fair. Fans don't want to hear and rightfully so that we are building through the draft with players who wont be ready until sometime down the road and that I get.

The reason I highlighted necessarily is because for every one example of a player not ready to start day one who is now a star there are ten stars that did start day one.

Personally I am playing both sides here a bit. I get the frustration and it is not completely unjust and I also laud those who have endured long droughts without success. I am patient although I am not going to be around forever but. The truth for me is that this is a topic that should be debated with a light overtone for no one knows for sure what will happen with the above mentioned players not even the greatest of football minds. I always say this we are a group with more in common than differences and we come here with one main commonality Ram football and the hope for it's immediate and long term success. The debates are to entertain us in between games and so we can share thoughts about OUR TEAM. No one is right or wrong ever unless we are talking about history.
Except Alan and X but no one else

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ask these same people if they thought Quinn was worth the wait.

True. I guess I just disagree with their perspective on draft picks. The idea that you think a draft pick isn't being used well because the player takes 2-3 years develop into an impact player rather than evaluating what he actually develops into just seems out there to me. But I'm sure they think I'm crazy for being fine with a guy taking 2-3 years to develop into an impact player.