Take It or Leave It.. Rams high draft picks aren't doing enough?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams High Draft picks aren't doing enough?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iced

I agree. Not getting enough of a return at the moment from a lot of high picks.

In particular we need more from T.Austin, Ogletree, Pead (I know he's thurt so I expect more next year instead but he's been underwhelming so far - you don't draft a RB in the second to be a special teamer), Brockers, and GRob (I know its very early but I would have hoped he could beat out Davin Joseph).

Add that to some big money FA signings that haven't worked (Cortland Finnegan, Davin Joseph, Scott Wells (admittedly he's played a lot of snaps for us) and you see where we are.

Not too easy to say "we should be playing more of our picks than the superbowl champ Seahawks. Its about position and quality. Justin Britt is playing because the Seahawks didn't have as good as a RT as J Barksdahle. Would he be starting on the Rams? Doubt it. Would Grob be starting on the Hawks? Maybe.

Eh, I can't fault Pead for getting beat out by Zac Stacy - guy is no slouch and Pead seemed to have a role on this team as at least the 3rd down back (Head and shoulders above the rest in that regard).. Such a shame about his injury, but I'm not about to call out Pead for his contributions to the team while there be better talent in front of him and ignore picks like Robinson who have players that belong on the bench in front of them, and don't even have a role.

Would like to see more of Tavon but i understand the mitigating circumstances with him (Qb/schotty/o-line, pick your flavor)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The reason I highlighted necessarily is because for every one example of a player not ready to start day one who is now a star there are ten stars that did start day one.

How many of those players DESERVED to start day one is the question? Usually, those players are starting day one because they are the lesser evil...not because they're ready to be an impact starter day one. For every star that was an impact starter day one, there are ten stars that weren't.

When it comes down to it, you'll find that the vast majority(75+%) of rookies are average or worse starters due to their lack of experience. You're not drafting that guy for what he'll be as a rookie.

Hell, LaMarcus Joyner is more or less a starter and look at the criticism he's getting on this board because god forbid he's not a star as a rookie. LaMarcus Joyner is the norm for rookies. They have ups and they have downs...and they tend to start the season off with more downs than ups...then tend to improve as the year goes on.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ask these same people if they thought Quinn was worth the wait.

Quinn was a Spags pick for one. Also if you listen to the segment, they're referring to this years draft class... Damnnnn... lol

Robinson starting isn't a positive in anyway, you can argue how negative it is, but there's nothing positive about it.

The other thing with draft picks is you're getting what should be a very good player, at a comparatively low cost for 4 years + a 5th year option for first half of the first round picks. Taking Quick for example, it's great that he's showing up now, but you've basically used up 2 of his years for next to nothing. I'd argue that if you can get 4 years of very good play, that's more valuable than 2 years of elite play, unless you intend to spend big money re-signing that elite player (but then why not spend big money in the first instance?). Now that probably matters more for a regime that is in win now mode rather than a regime which is still in re-build mode in year 3.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
In todays league you need the young guys to step up and play quickly. They are your cost controlled players, if they take 3+ years to get up to speed that means you get very little out of them before the rookie contract is over and you need to decide if you want to retain them.
I am also one that belives that most (not all) players learn by playing. Yesa rookie makes mistakes - but they also learn every time they are on the field. There are lessons you can only get during a real game - and if a guy is talented you get him the reps so he starts learning.

BTW - the poll is confusing....the negative wording may result in some miscast votes.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
How many of those players DESERVED to start day one is the question? Usually, those players are starting day one because they are the lesser evil...
This topic can certainly go back and forth with no clear answer and each case is independent of the next. I would hope that coaches would play the player who earned the start on merit. Our particular teams front office has said we build through the draft while only dipping in to FA as needed. With a philosophy like that and a team a decade plus into sub .500 Football you better either up the ante in FA or draft Starters no to mention the lesser of evils needs only to beat out a sub .500 starter.
There is no right or wrong, I have another 15-20 years to watch football if you are in your 30's or 40's you can afford to be more patient.

I respect both sides of this topic and enjoy your views Jrry heartbreaking loss or not the team is getting better. I am patiently waiting for the year we start off ahead of the curve.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yeah, and SF's draft picks are doing a helluva lot better.

Draft is a crap shoot, lucky to get 3 starters a year.

The amount the Rams did get the past 3 years should put it to rest. But the stupid fuckin media wants their stupid fuckin instant gratification, so they're busts.

Oh and the amount of UDFAs that contribute to STs to boot.

Fuckin media.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A decent segment on E$PN 101 today. What do you think. I would have to agree to a certain extent. Just saying... Give the segment a listen, then cast your vote. Makes for a good discussion considering we're on a bye week.

Best Quote: " A holding call on a Sack!?....." Reply " I've never seen it either!"

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Ask these same people if they thought Quinn was worth the wait.
Well until they remove that rule that says thou shall not call teams for holding against the Rams, Quinn's value may not be realized with this team.

…..

Legend
I'm not really disappointed in our draft picks and everytime I look up, one of them is making a play!!! ..... unless you want to go all the way back to the Bradford selection, and injuries derailed that. I don't think its fair to expect 100% total awesomeness out of every single pick. Unrealistic expectations.

fearsomefour

Legend
Robinson is a bit of a mystery at this point.
The Rams have gotten good return on plenty of their guys. Austin is the concern to me. Not sure if they will figure out how to use him. For everyone who was in a hurry to write off Quick, Robinson has not played in 3 games....even though he was the 2nd overall pick, not time to panic yet.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Surely the media can't be that stupid and need to be reminded...

Rodger Saffold- starting and effecting guard, can play multiple spots if need be
Robert Quinn- best 4-3 end in the league
Lance Kendricks- consistent all around TE
Austin Pettis- clutch WR
Michael Brockers- beastly run defender
Brian Quick- 3rd year guy that is producing
Janoris Jenkins- has really played well his 3rd year; playmaker
Trumaine Johnson- most consistent CB
Greg Zuerlein- efficient, big-legged, accurate kicker
Tavon Austin- playmaker
Alec Ogletree- starting beast of a LB
TJ McDonald- physical safety
Stedman Bailey- considered the best all around WR on the roster
Zac Stacy- a solid RB that hardly ever loses yardage

Aaron Donald
Lamarcus Joyner
EJ Gaines

But yet they are stuck on Greg Robinson not yet starting? Really?

Look at all those guys the Rams got, plus throw in a couple guys Chris Long and James Laurinaitis, and holy shit. It's just on par or better than any given team.

Sure, some of the guys may not have lived up to the hype, but are they problems? Are they so terrible they won't be on the team for the long term future? Seems unlikely.

Not doing enough? IDK what they want from these guys to be honest.

AZRamsFan93

It is disappointing that we get nothing so far out of the #2 overall. He cannot be labeled a bust, no way.

3rd year of Fisher? Anything less than playoffs should generate heat.

Philly5

Rookie
About the best you can say about Snead's drafting at this time is that the jury is still out. You would think that since we have had a lousy roster and high draft picks that we would see more of an immediate impact.

Schmitzer

UDFA
When you consider the extra first round pick in two of the three years, it is far worse. What other team would have this little to show for 5 #1s in 3 years?

It's not just the GM, coaches have to know how to develop and bring along talent.

I say judge them by the record at the end of the season. If we have a .500 record or better it won't matter if we get there with Joseph keeping Robinson out all season and Austin continuing to disappoint. If we have yet another losing season it will be a comment on the success of our drafts and Fisher's re-build.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I say nay! Look for dividends from our picks from here on out! If not, blame the coaching!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We have a lot of talent that needs to develop and improve and get better. Quick is a prime example of young guys needing time.

As far as Robinson goes, he's incredibly young still. He's only 21. It's going to take the big guy some time, we have to be patient. As fans, obviously we'd love for everybody to be at their peak immediately, but we can't seek this instant gratification all the time when it comes to young guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tavon and Brockers are the two that stand out to me. Both should be impacting things consistently by now.

The drafts have been above average overall, Rams are finding starters but not difference makers. Brockers was supposed to be arriving by now, eating double teams and making those around him better but he's not that guy. He's just a big body at this point, extremely disappointing. Tavon is probably a poor fit more than anything else (he actually has shown his stuff plays in the NFL when used correctly), I think in a lot of other schemes (Eagles for example) he'd be electrifying by now, and would probably have superstar status.

But here's one note on Tavon to consider... How is he gonna look with Davis at QB? It's a legit question because he doesn't need a lot of touches to make a big impact, given his talent. Just run 2 or 3 schemed plays to open things up for him that the defense hasn't seen each week and let him have his impact.

Re: Pead, I wrote him off last year. He's just a guy.

As to Robinson, I believe he demonstrates a desire by Snead to get a difference maker, a high end Pro-Bowl type talent. It's impossible to criticize the selection now, and premature to do so. Give it time, and we'll judge that pick in a year or two and have a much better idea. Fans are too instant-gratification in my estimation, the guys who are getting on my nerves right now are ones who have had some time and, well... WTF?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm not really disappointed in our draft picks and everytime I look up, one of them is making a play!!! ..... unless you want to go all the way back to the Bradford selection, and injuries derailed that.

Here are the QB's selected after Bradford in the 2010 draft. Injuries or not, I'm gonna go ahead and say we made the right choice.

Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy, Michael Kafka, John Skelton, Jonathan Crompton, Rusty Smith, Dan LeFevour, Joe Webb, Tony Pike, Levi Brown, Sean Canfield, Zac Robinson.

Whether we should have picked Suh or someone else is a wasted argument because we needed a franchise QB. It hasn't worked out so far but who knew?

Aaron Rodgers was drafted in the first round and waited three years to start. I wonder how many Packers fans complained "Why would you draft a QB in the first round when we already have Brett Favre, and have other positions to fill instead?"

They had a long-term plan for the future of the team that's why. Short -term thinking can be instantly gratifying but smart GM's know better.