Strauss: Rams critics stand tall as Robinson takes a seat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
....oh yeah....
He assumes Robinson moves to RT because Barksdale was a cheap pick up for the Rams. Even though in his article coach is quoted saying they will play who gives them the best chance to win. So, either the coach is lying or the writer doesn't get it.
Robinson will play but that will be at G and probably LG with Saffold moving to RG at some point.
It would be a bad plan taking a young player having some growing pains AND have him switch sides in season.
In fact that raises the writers comment to the level an award.....he receives A Dummy

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I actually enjoyed the article, he poked fun at both extremes really and I thought it was very well put together. He also integrated two great quotes by Fisher and Boudreaux, which pretty much sum things up.

IMO Snead wanted two guys who will end up being HoF level players. Hard to fault him there, and given Long's status I'm very, very glad he took OT in this draft. Coach Bou will have him ready when he needs to be in there.

Oh and btw, one thing nobody is talking about is OG Joseph. Can it be that the Rams made a shrewd and relative bargain pickup with him? If he comes in and plays well, that may be the storyline in that it allows the Rams not to rush Robinson in there.

That IS the storyline in my eyes. Good Post. The media is a fickle beast. Build them up and Tear them down...oh the drama!!!!

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Why on Earth would we do that when Barksdale has been solid? Keep old Joesph and get rid of Barksdale? That would be foolish to the extreme IMO.

1. They didn't draft Robinson to stick him at guard for several seasons.
2. Robinson, if he lives up to his potential, should be better than Barksdale.
3. Barksdale is a free agent next offseason and in a league that always compensates tackles well, he may be priced out of a range that we can afford with Quinn, Jenkins, and others looking for new contracts very soon.

Calling that foolish seems a bit...extreme.

I'd love to bring back Barksdale long-term. He's very underrated. I don't know if that's in the plans though, or if it will work out financially.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
1. They didn't draft Robinson to stick him at guard for several seasons.
2. Robinson, if he lives up to his potential, should be better than Barksdale.
3. Barksdale is a free agent next offseason and in a league that always compensates tackles well, he may be priced out of a range that we can afford with Quinn, Jenkins, and others looking for new contracts very soon.

Calling that foolish seems a bit...extreme.

I'd love to bring back Barksdale long-term. He's very underrated. I don't know if that's in the plans though, or if it will work out financially.

1. If he's a road grader in the run game. and we are a running team, and Barksdale and Long play well this year, play him at guard. Who cares where, how, or why he got drafted IMO.
2. IF.
3. Quinn, yes. If Barksdale plays solid again, or even makes the PB, goodbye Jenkins IMO. Win in the trenches.

I don't think it's foolish at all to keep our 5 best lineman on the field at all time. If we played in a different division, maybe I'd think otherwise.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
1. If he's a road grader in the run game. and we are a running team, and Barksdale and Long play well this year, play him at guard. Who cares where, how, or why he got drafted IMO.

I don't think it's foolish at all to keep our 5 best lineman on the field at all time. If we played in a different division, maybe I'd think otherwise.

I totally agree with these two points and was arguing the same thing for months leading up to the draft.

There will be very few criticizing the pick (there will always be a select few who will find something to whine about) if Greg Robinson becomes the next Larry Allen. I wouldn't mind seeing him become Willie Roaf either at LT because I'm not exactly confident that Jake Long will be able to play out his full contract.

Our line construction in 2015 and beyond comes down to how much recognition Barksdale will get this season and how healthy Jake Long is. I hope he continues to fly under the radar and we can sign him to a team-friendly deal.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The present GR situation is ideal no matter how you look @ it really. We have two very good LEFT side OL vets one 29 the other 26 both have a long.....long injury history that is a fact. Thinking that either will remain in these left side posts for any length of time may be wishful thinking IMO. The longer Boudreau can stew GR in the comfortable warm working conditions as a dressed game day reserve the better day by day it gets for GR.

Saffold position on this team is secure if he can remain healthy. I think that Saffold is the prototype left OG period, but his value to play the other three OL posts sure increases his value to Boudreau....that's why we resigned the often injured OL'er. Thinking & betting that Saffold will remain on the field @ OLG for the season would have few takers due to his versatility. So that works in favor of GR getting an early chance when something happens.

Long :cautious: really is a very big unknown currently we all expect to see the pre injury 2013 season Long line up @ OLT this Sunday in the dome....could we be expecting way too much from this surgically repaired knee only 7 months ago???? From what I read here .....I am of the opinion many here will be upset Sunday evening from there Jake Long expectations. we will see but GR was drafted to play OLT in the NFL like ZigZag said. I just disagree with the thought it will be @ RIGHT OT where Joe Barksdale just happens to reside & has shown he like it there & beat out Rodger Saffold to remain there. Me thinks that Joe Barksdale offers the Rams & Boudreau something the rest of the more decorated starting Ram OL'ers just wish they were capable of achieving......This is very big did I say BIG ....that's remain healthy & remain on the field. Thinking that Boudreau will not campaign for the resigning of a JB this season pre UFA'cy :whistle:. JB is the only Boudreau big success story here as a Ram at this time. :love:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I totally agree with these two points and was arguing the same thing for months leading up to the draft.

There will be very few criticizing the pick (there will always be a select few who will find something to whine about) if Greg Robinson becomes the next Larry Allen. I wouldn't mind seeing him become Willie Roaf either at LT because I'm not exactly confident that Jake Long will be able to play out his full contract.

Our line construction in 2015 and beyond comes down to how much recognition Barksdale will get this season and how healthy Jake Long is. I hope he continues to fly under the radar and we can sign him to a team-friendly deal.

The ultimate catch-22. The better Barksdale plays the better we do, and the harder it is to keep him. Football GM is not on my list of dream jobs at all. I'm just fine with Monday morning GM.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The present GR situation is ideal no matter how you look @ it really. We have two very good LEFT side OL vets one 29 the other 26 both have a long.....long injury history that is a fact. Thinking that either will remain in these left side posts for any length of time may be wishful thinking IMO. The longer Boudreau can stew GR in the comfortable warm working conditions as a dressed game day reserve the better day by day it gets for GR.

Saffold position on this team is secure if he can remain healthy. I think that Saffold is the prototype left OG period, but his value to play the other three OL posts sure increases his value to Boudreau....that's why we resigned the often injured OL'er. Thinking & betting that Saffold will remain on the field @ OLG for the season would have few takers due to his versatility. So that works in favor of GR getting an early chance when something happens.

Long :cautious: really is a very big unknown currently we all expect to see the pre injury 2013 season Long line up @ OLT this Sunday in the dome....could we be expecting way too much from this surgically repaired knee only 7 months ago???? From what I read here .....I am of the opinion many here will be upset Sunday evening from there Jake Long expectations. we will see but GR was drafted to play OLT in the NFL like ZigZag said. I just disagree with the thought it will be @ RIGHT OT where Joe Barksdale just happens to reside & has shown he like it there & beat out Rodger Saffold to remain there. Me thinks that Joe Barksdale offers the Rams & Boudreau something the rest of the more decorated starting Ram OL'ers just wish they were capable of achieving......This is very big did I say BIG ....that's remain healthy & remain on the field. Thinking that Boudreau will not campaign for the resigning of a JB this season pre UFA'cy :whistle:. JB is the only Boudreau big success story here as a Ram at this time. :love:

I'm confused, you do or don't think Boudreau will campaign for Barksdale to be resigned?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Strauss always writes to impress his biggest fan:Strauss

This column was ok, but some of his columns are just so incoherent to where you can never be sure what point he was trying to make.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I enjoyed this article for the most part. The RT part was way off but beside that glaring error on his part it was good.

That pretty much summed it up for me. Rams fans are tired and support is waning, not talking about us on ROD but there's a reason why the dome isint full these days..

It's fine developing projects but this franchise needs something to promote and support now. This is why myself Im slightly disappointed at greg not being ready to go

Dont worry, next year when they draft a new QB early the fans will come and support and promote him.

Also hoping Donald gets a lot of that this year with his play.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm confused, you do or don't think Boudreau will campaign for Barksdale to be resigned?

Sorry to cause confusion blue4.....Boudreau IMO will have something strong to say on behalf of keeping Joe Barksdale a RAM! The ORT post is the only real stable post on this team when discussing past injury issues with Saffold- Wells- Long & Joseph all being starters on this Boudreau OL.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I enjoyed this article for the most part. The RT part was way off but beside that glaring error on his part it was good.

Dont worry, next year when they draft a new QB early the fans will come and support and promote him.

Also hoping Donald gets a lot of that this year with his play.

I'm hoping they don't "knee-jerk" a new QB in the 1st just to say they got one in the 1st. If we draft one early, let's hope it's because he's up on the draft board already and not because he's falling faster than a lead balloon.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Sorry to cause confusion blue4.....Boudreau IMO will have something strong to say on behalf of keeping Joe Barksdale a RAM! The ORT post is the only real stable post on this team when discussing past injury issues with Saffold- Wells- Long & Joseph all being starters on this Boudreau OL.

I agree, I've never seen such a talented, yet fragile group of OL. If they stay healthy I think they are every bit as good as the GSOT line, maybe better. IF they stay healthy, and IF they are all recovered from their last injuries.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If Barks plays good and the Rams want to sign him to a new contract they will be able to easily.

They will have more cap room next year mainly because:

1. Sam Bradford will either take a huge pay cut or be gone.
2. There is a good chance the salary cap will go from $133mil(2014) to $140-$145mil in 2015.
3. JLau's cap hit of $10.4mil in 2014 drops to $4.025mil in 2015

Of course the Rams will have to sign/extend some other players but my main point is that if they want to keep Barks they will make it happen.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm hoping they don't "knee-jerk" a new QB in the 1st just to say they got one in the 1st. If we draft one early, let's hope it's because he's up on the draft board already and not because he's falling faster than a lead balloon.

I think there will be a nice handful of 1st round worthy QB's, but I agree they shouldnt grab one in the first who is just falling and not rates high. I dont believe they would do that anyway. They really dont care about pleasing the fans, they do what they feel is best for the team, and thats how it should be.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think there will be a nice handful of 1st round worthy QB's, but I agree they shouldnt grab one in the first who is just falling and not rates high. I dont believe they would do that anyway. They really dont care about pleasing the fans, they do what they feel is best for the team, and thats how it should be.

For some reason I have a bad feeling in regards to the 1st RD QB thing. Don't know why this upcoming draft. Maybe it's because we've done so well so far in Fisher's term. Being a St. Louis Ram and former Cardinal football fan, I'm not used to that.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
For some reason I have a bad feeling in regards to the 1st RD QB thing. Don't know why this upcoming draft. Maybe it's because we've done so well so far in Fisher's term. Being a St. Louis Ram and former Cardinal football fan, I'm not used to that.
Lol understandable. Doesnt help what happened with the last QB we selected in the 1st. Also the previous high Qb they selected was Banks in the 2nd in '96. Before Bradford the last 1st round QB's the Rams selected in the draft were Bill Munson in '64, Ted Baker in '63, and Roman Gabriel in '62. Jaworski was picked at 2.37. At least we havent been the Browns and drafted 3 qb's in the 1st round in less than 10 years. The draft is always a crap shoot. Just gotta hope they make the right choice whenever they do select one.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I expected this from the limpdick Ramstalk trolls, but not from a guy who actually gets paid to do this. I mean seriously, where does the PD even find these clowns?
Don't know if your local Bro or not.
But that's how he works. Cardinals win World series and he's showing his ass the next day. Nit picking on how they could have been better. He thinks he's smarter than any other vagina in the room. Yeah, sometimes he nails it, but even then it's few and far between.

What he does best is make Bernie feel better about himself.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You know I was gonna multi quote and pick this terrible article apart, but man it's not just worth it.

Let the dude play and development.

Shit like this makes public perception of the Rams to be negative, rather than a process of rebuilding (2012) to a team on the rise (2013 and beyond).

"Oh no, he's not starting, that means he's Jason Smith blah blah piss out my ass!"

Shut. The. Hell. Up.

Talk about the team, not just be critical just to be fucking critical. That is beyond fuckin irritating.

If Greg Robinson happens to not be on an NFL team in 3 years,then it wasn't meant to be. But let him fucking play first, and not knee jerk over his 1st game as a damn rookie.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Early struggles raise concerns but don't diminish potential of Rams rookie Greg Robinson

By Luke Thompson
FOX Sports Midwest

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...potential-of-rams-rookie-greg-robinson-090514

ST. LOUIS -- Rookie offensive lineman Greg Robinson must be getting tired of all the questions.

They began during the preseason, when the No. 2 overall pick showed signs of struggling to grasp the Rams' offensive system while playing both guard and tackle. They intensified earlier this week, when the depth chart and coach Jeff Fisher confirmed Robinson won't be starting in Sunday's opener against Minnesota.

So far, the 21-year-old All-American out of Auburn has been giving all the right answers. No, he's not disappointed. Yes, he's working hard and learning every day from the veterans. No, his goals for the season haven't changed.

"I'm just taking my time, day-by-day, practice-by-practice and doing what coaches ask of me," Robinson says. "I feel if I keep working at getting better each day, I'll be successful."

That may be true, but it's hard to imagine this is where Robinson expected to be when commissioner Roger Goodell called his name back in May. History shows the top two picks in the NFL draft rarely watch the first game primarily from the sideline.

The last time it happened was in 2007, when Oakland took eventual bust JaMarcus Russell with the first overall pick. More successful exceptions include quarterbacks Alex Smith in 2005 and Eli Manning in 2004, though the latter forced a trade from San Diego to New York before any games began.

Perhaps the most encouraging precedent for Robinson comes in the form of Robert Gallery, a tackle selected second overall by Oakland in 2004. He's the last non-quarterback top two pick to not start in his opener, but he cracked the lineup in Week 2 and went on to have a respectable eight-year career that included a move to guard, the less prominent of the two positions.

It's safe to say expectations are still higher than that for Robinson, a 6-foot-5, 332-pound monster of a man who was compared favorably to 1997 No. 1 pick Orlando Pace, a five time All-Pro selection. Coach Jeff Fisher says it's far too early to set any limits on Robinson's immense potential.

"He's going to be an outstanding player," Fisher said. "Our focus right now is putting the guys on the field that we think gives us our best chance to win right now."

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer echoes some of those sentiments, praising Robinson for never losing his confidence. When the coaching staff decided to play Robinson at multiple positions, Schottenheimer says a few growing pains were expected.

It's also a huge difference from how Robinson played as a tackle at Auburn, where the Tigers basically just ran over all their opponents. He talks a lot about playing time opportunities with former Auburn teammate Tre Mason, and perhaps it's no surprise the Rams' third round pick has stayed low on the depth chart because of pass blocking issues despite showing some serious raw talent when carrying the football.

"I think with Greg it's more of the consistency aspect that we're looking for," Schottenheimer said. "He'll have some great plays and then he'll make a mental mistake, but he's working."

That means extra time in the meeting rooms with offensive line coach Paul Boudreau, and Robinson's fellow lineman are quick to compliment the rookie's work ethic. Starters Jake Long and Rodger Saffold have seen plenty of improvement and a willingness to learn from the team's core of experienced veterans.

But at the same time, Saffold said Robinson's still learning to perfect his craft and maintain the high expectations of the more established offensive linemen. That constant attention to detail when it comes to technique may determine whether Robinson earns a starting spot.

"That all depends on what he does," said Saffold, a versatile fifth-year pro slated to start at left guard. "When it comes right down to it, what he does and what he shows on film, the way he puts on in practice is eventually going to show him where he deserves to be."

Finding a spot on the Rams' experienced offensive line should be well within reach for Robinson, but it won't be easy. Long and Joe Barksdale appear to be solid options at tackle, while Saffold and center Scott Wells have combined for 85 starts over the past four seasons.

That leaves one spot currently occupied by Davin Joseph, the right guard for Sunday's season opener. He struggled so much last season Tampa Bay cut him with one year left on his contract in March. Joseph does, however, still have the advantage of 100 games and even two Pro Bowl appearances with the Buccaneers.

Schottenheimer called Joseph probably one of the strongest players on the O-line, a crucial skill for a team looking to establish the run early and create holes for its tailbacks. Long said that mentality will be particularly crucial in the first game of the season to open up the passing game for new quarterback Shaun Hill.

It's not unreasonable to expect Robinson should have been ready to start by now. Still, if he's not yet ready for that role, the Rams are better off letting him develop at his own pace rather than forcing him into a position that could be uncomfortable for him or hurt the team.

It's far too early to label the rookie a bust in the mold of Baylor tackle Jason Smith, St. Louis' No. 2 overall pick who had some concussion issues as a rookie and was traded in 2012 before being released by the Jets and Saints. But the atypical nature of Robinson's early struggles should probably raise some alarms.