Strauss: Rams critics stand tall as Robinson takes a seat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Strauss: Rams critics stand tall as Robinson takes a seat
• Joe Strauss

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_1a8d5313-367f-522b-ab62-8141804ec65b.html

Of the 256 players selected in May’s NFL draft, all but Jadeveon Clowney came off the board after the Rams grabbed Auburn tackle Greg Robinson. The Rams, who last experienced a winning season before golfer Phil Mickelson won a major, since have shifted Robinson to guard, where he won’t start Sunday’s season opener against the Minnesota Vikings.

This suggests any number of things:

• The Rams have quietly amassed untold wealth on the offensive line.

• Robinson’s pass-blocking skills remain rudimentary, inviting the dreaded description of “project.”

Media’s short-attention-span theater has moved beyond Michael Sam’s shower habits and Sam Bradford’s left knee to Robinson’s failure to provide instant gratification, deeming it an indictment of a front-office gang that can’t shoot straight.

Four months ago, analysts fell over one another praising the Rams’ well-conceived draft. One national critic extolled general manager Les Snead for “killing it.”

Now, two days before playing their first game that counts, has time already arrived to kill the Rams?

Has a franchise long thirsting for success decided to spend the last drops in its canteen on washing its hands?

Sure, it looks bad. But that doesn’t necessarily mean it is bad.

Critics already have started comparing Robinson to Jason Smith, the Baylor tackle whom the previous Rams regime drafted second overall in 2009. Smith actually did start the opener his rookie season, then went on to become the preferred definition for draft “bust.”

Smith endured concussions but before that was suspected of marginal desire and trying to leave the Cardinals’ clubhouse clutching Albert Pujols’ game cap.

Robinson only stands accused of coming from a run-first college program with a narrow playbook. He remains a massive man rated a run-blocking road-grader.

Don’t misconstrue this as an apology for a franchise on the clock in several ways. Fan skepticism is warranted after years of bait-and-switch surprises. Bradford’s return from last year’s knee surgery became the hook for heightened expectations. Then, when the knee again buckled in the Rams’ third exhibition tilt, the sell shifted to Shaun Hill representing only a minor markdown within a run-first offense. Hill’s first pass Sunday will be his 17th in the last four seasons.

The issue regarding Robinson is that the Rams love to draft on potential while their market desires immediate gratification.

“He’s going to be an outstanding player,” coach Jeff Fisher said Wednesday afternoon. “Our focus right now is putting the guys on the field that we think give us the best chance to win right now.”

The Rams last year traded up for Tavon Austin then struggled to incorporate the smallish, elusive receiver into the offense.

This occurred after taking Brian Quick with a second-round selection in 2011. Quick’s rep has been one of a practice All-Pro who goes missing on Sundays. His third season is supposed to be different. The Rams have realized quick returns from defensive draftees but continue to urge patience with receivers Austin, Stedman Bailey, Quick and Chris Givens — all taken within the first 96 overall picks.

The Rams drafted Robinson because they preferred his ceiling over the short-term certainty of Texas A&M left tackle Jake Matthews, the No. 7 pick who starts Sunday for the Atlanta Falcons.

Of course, the Rams declined to go sexy by taking top-rated receiver Sammy Watkins or quarterback Johnny Manziel.

Robinson gets the expectation questions a lot. He answers politely, patiently. He acknowledges the “process” that has him at guard, where reads must be made more quickly than at tackle. A talent who established his reputation steam-rolling college opponents now learns a thicker playbook at a fresh position.

“The game’s much faster here. It’s the NFL. You expect that. But you still have to make adjustments,” Robinson says.

Offensive line coach Paul Boudreau refers to what Robinson sees now as “a blur.” Defenders are distinguished by uniform rather than stunts and twists. Boudreau rates Robinson’s talent as a given. Making accurate reads is the tougher challenge but one that will be mastered in time.

“He’s exactly the player we thought we were getting,” Boudreau said.

More nuanced issues exist. The left guard lines up next to Jake Long, who is coming off knee surgery. Rodger Saffold fits there for now. Veteran Davin Joseph signed to play right guard. Former waiver claim Joe Barksdale started 13 games at right tackle last season. At some point Robinson will move to that side.

Last season, the Rams started eight players from tackle to tackle. Only left guard Chris Williams appeared in all 16 games. Harvey Dahl started the first eight games at right guard before ruled inactive for seven of the last eight. Center Scott Wells started the first 12 games but finished the season on injured reserve. Long blew out his knee in the penultimate game. Saffold made two starts at right tackle, got hurt, returned against Indianapolis at right guard, moved back to right tackle at Arizona then finished the season replacing Long at left tackle. Shelley Smith made two starts seven games apart at right guard.

Safe to say, continuity wasn’t last season’s strong suit.

Needing 43 rushing yards to reach 1,000 for the season, rookie Zac Stacy managed 16 yards in 15 attempts behind an improvised line in Week 17 in Seattle.

That last year’s team won seven games — four following Bradford’s injury — remains a marvel. Boudreau has no desire that his fifth season as Rams offensive line coach go as his fourth — or his third.

Two years ago, right tackle Barry Richardson emerged as the lone Rams offensive lineman to start every game at the same spot. It was the sixth-round draft pick’s only season with the club.

Among 2012’s most enduring memories was Williams unexpectedly being pressed into service inside London’s Wembley Stadium six days after being picked up from the Chicago Bears. Glancing to his right, Dahl asked, “Who the hell are you?” The Rams employed seven line combinations during the 7-8-1 season.

An offensive line’s high mortality rate almost guarantees Robinson will appear sooner or later. All parties say he could see time Sunday. But force-feeding Robinson into the starting lineup to immediately validate a premium draft pick isn’t part of the plan.

Fisher didn’t seem to care much to talk about Robinson not starting when it rained on Wednesday’s post-practice parade.

One moment Fisher pointed out to a media herd that All-Pro tackle Orlando Pace did not start Week One his rookie season after the Rams made him the first overall pick of the 1997 draft. Moments later, standing about 20 yards away, Boudreau made precisely the same point to a breakaway scribe. Overlooked was the fact Pace held out for three weeks during his rookie camp.

The game is faster at this level, much faster. Still, there’s ample time to pass judgment on Robinson and the process that brought him here.

jjab360

Legend
Now, two days before playing their first game that counts, has time already arrived to kill the Rams?

Has a franchise long thirsting for success decided to spend the last drops in its canteen on washing its hands?

Sure, it looks bad. But that doesn’t necessarily mean it is bad.

Critics already have started comparing Robinson to Jason Smith, the Baylor tackle whom the previous Rams regime drafted second overall in 2009.

I expected this from the limpdick Ramstalk trolls, but not from a guy who actually gets paid to do this. I mean seriously, where does the PD even find these clowns?

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I expected this from the limpdick Ramstalk trolls, but not from a guy who actually gets paid to do this. I mean seriously, where does the PD even find these clowns?
I had to check the byline because I thought this was a Bernie article

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Strauss always writes to impress his biggest fan:Strauss

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I actually enjoyed the article, he poked fun at both extremes really and I thought it was very well put together. He also integrated two great quotes by Fisher and Boudreaux, which pretty much sum things up.

IMO Snead wanted two guys who will end up being HoF level players. Hard to fault him there, and given Long's status I'm very, very glad he took OT in this draft. Coach Bou will have him ready when he needs to be in there.

Oh and btw, one thing nobody is talking about is OG Joseph. Can it be that the Rams made a shrewd and relative bargain pickup with him? If he comes in and plays well, that may be the storyline in that it allows the Rams not to rush Robinson in there.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
The issue regarding Robinson is that the Rams love to draft on potential while their market desires immediate gratification.

That pretty much summed it up for me. Rams fans are tired and support is waning, not talking about us on ROD but there's a reason why the dome isint full these days..

It's fine developing projects but this franchise needs something to promote and support now. This is why myself Im slightly disappointed at greg not being ready to go

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I'm not a PD fan by any means but I actually enjoyed this article as well.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Offensive line coach Paul Boudreau refers to what Robinson sees now as “a blur.” Defenders are distinguished by uniform rather than stunts and twists. Boudreau rates Robinson’s talent as a given. Making accurate reads is the tougher challenge but one that will be mastered in time.

“He’s exactly the player we thought we were getting,” Boudreau said.
pleased.gif

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Lets look at it this way - if the Rams hadn't selected him, he would still have gone in the top 5. How many teams out there picking so highly have the wealth of talent to be able to have him sit out a few games until he's ready - I love the way the coaches have dealt with GR, what you don't want is the guy's confidence getting hit because he's get manhandled during game time...

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Strauss is basically a huge troll. He was a Cardinals beat writer before being promoted to columnist. He is much more negative than Bernie is. In fact the last year that the Cardinals won the world series (2011) he was all doom and gloom. That year the Cardinals were average at the all star break. But they started playing like world beaters in August and just steam rolled everyone until they got to the world series (actually this years team is starting to remind me of them). The entire time they were winning he was basically saying it was fake and they'll come down to earth.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
That pretty much summed it up for me. Rams fans are tired and support is waning, not talking about us on ROD but there's a reason why the dome isint full these days..

It's fine developing projects but this franchise needs something to promote and support now. This is why myself Im slightly disappointed at greg not being ready to go

i wonder if long performance in his only preseason game change the couching staff's mind. instead of playing g rob at g maybe they now are looking at t. it would be interesting to know where g rob is getting reps at practice now.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Strauss is basically a huge troll. He was a Cardinals beat writer before being promoted to columnist. He is much more negative than Bernie is. In fact the last year that the Cardinals won the world series (2011) he was all doom and gloom. That year the Cardinals were average at the all star break. But they started playing like world beaters in August and just steam rolled everyone until they got to the world series (actually this years team is starting to remind me of them). The entire time they were winning he was basically saying it was fake and they'll come down to earth.

Even his few positive articles he always hedges his bets. "Warner's passing beautifully.......... for now.)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
And this writer says that Greg Robinson is destined to play on the right side where Barksdale & Joseph play ????

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
As porous as this line has been over the majority of the past decade, it amazes me that we finally have enough talent that we can AFFORD to NOT start a rookie learning a new position. Same goes for not having to start AD on the other side.....that is a GOOD problem to have.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That was a :confused: moment for me too.

Yep big:confused::confused:

Boudreau has worked real hard to keep the learning curve in a manageable range for the very young 21 old OL'er who has played the left side always.... working GR primarily @ OLG where GR could use what skills he presently has & get on the field faster in case of an injury to the often injured Long/Saffold duo & secondarily @ OLT where GR destiny is to make his $$$ in the NFL.

But that's all been thrown out the window now accordingly with Joe Strauss:ROFLMAO:.

Oh yeah one more thing his info on Saffold 2013 season post play & starts.....WRONG

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
And this writer says that Greg Robinson is destined to play on the right side where Barksdale & Joseph play ????

Pretty sure the thought is that Robinson is going to take over at RT after this season until Jake is no longer our LT.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Joseph was brought in as insurance. That was a good move. Robinson's not quite ready but everyone knows he's the future. In the meantime we have a former pro bowler to hold the fort down.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Pretty sure the thought is that Robinson is going to take over at RT after this season until Jake is no longer our LT.

Why on Earth would we do that when Barksdale has been solid? Keep old Joesph and get rid of Barksdale? That would be foolish to the extreme IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend
I enjoyed the article and even though I preferred Matthews (as much to do with the perceived holes at G as anything) I am excited about Robinson, to even bring this up now is just silly to me.
A couple of irritating things:
This regime is going on year three....bringing up the last 5, 10 or however many years means nothing.

When the writer talks about what "fans" want he is talking about himself. In their third year the FO will draft how they draft, with their philosophy and approach. Does not mean it can't be questioned, but I hope they don't care what the "fans" want. A FO controlled by popular opinion is doomed to fail. A lot of writers would have loved Manzeil to come to the team they cover because it makes their job easy.

A lot of guys hedge their bets....always makes it easy to backtrack.

With rookies whether 1st rounders or not, if they have the opportunity to ease into game action, that's for the good.

If it all comes together and Quick, Austin and Robinson all become studs this same guy will be spouting off about how he told everyone a team needs to draft with long term success in mind.