Strauss: Rams are taking a chance on receivers/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
(The college ball is striped, the NFL ball is not. The difference can make reading depth and rotation more difficult.)

Last year the absence of a striped football killed our young receivers. Now that every wide receiver on the Rams roster has had a year to get used to an un-striped football, I expect huge improvement unilaterally across the board!
Yeah, that's the ticket :LOL:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
One could argue, what the Rams probably believed, in that there was no point in drafting a WR period. And that the separation between Watkins & Evans vs. the others in this deep draft class wasn't as vast as many of the media and fans made out.
Buffalo certainly felt Watkins was worth it. But I do wonder if they were criticized for making the trade that allowed the Rams to draft Austin last year, especially since what they picked with what they got was not highly regarded.

So I don't think it's that, or that the Rams weren't high on Watkins. I just think they felt Robinson's talent potential couldn't be passed up. If it was a case where they absolutely felt they needed an offensive lineman, Matthews would have been the safer choice.

But none of us can read Fisher's mind, so we're just all seeing the situation through our own filters.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
(The college ball is striped, the NFL ball is not. The difference can make reading depth and rotation more difficult.)

Last year the absence of a striped football killed our young receivers. Now that every wide receiver on the Rams roster has had a year to get used to an un-striped football, I expect huge improvement unilaterally across the board!
Little things we sometimes overlook - eh?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This wouldn't break my heart.
Hate to burst your bubble but Demoff told season ticket holders that the Rams don't see TA in the slot. They are game planning him on the outside where they believe he is better suited. This may explain why they signed TJ Moe who was an accomplished slot receiver at Mizzou.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Buffalo certainly felt Watkins was worth it. But I do wonder if they were criticized for making the trade that allowed the Rams to draft Austin last year, especially since what they picked with what they got was not highly regarded.

So I don't think it's that, or that the Rams weren't high on Watkins. I just think they felt Robinson's talent potential couldn't be passed up. If it was a case where they absolutely felt they needed an offensive lineman, Matthews would have been the safer choice.

But none of us can read Fisher's mind, so we're just all seeing the situation through our own filters.

We don't have to read anyone's mind. Snead said as much in January when most so hot after the Rams selecting Watkins simply refused to listen.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/5196/rams-still-in-need-of-top-receiver

Boffo97

Name
Dave
We don't have to read anyone's mind. Snead said as much in January when most so hot after the Rams selecting Watkins simply refused to listen.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/5196/rams-still-in-need-of-top-receiver
The article didn't quote Snead saying anything about whether Watkins and/or Evans were above the pack... just the "can't have another WR" quote.... which rightly wasn't listened to because it was just pre-draft talk. If Snead really meant it, the Rams wouldn't have even considered Watkins, but they did due diligence on him and he visited.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/14/sammy-watkins-visits-the-rams/

I know you want this to be a case where there's just one right answer and those who didn't agree with you are just wrong, but it's not.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The article didn't quote Snead saying anything about whether Watkins and/or Evans were above the pack... just the "can't have another WR" quote.... which rightly wasn't listened to because it was just pre-draft talk. If Snead really meant it, the Rams wouldn't have even considered Watkins, but they did due diligence on him and he visited.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/14/sammy-watkins-visits-the-rams/

I know you want this to be a case where there's just one right answer and those who didn't agree with you are just wrong, but it's not.

What on earth are you talking about? We go from "one could argue, what the Rams probably believed, is that there was no point in drafting a WR period," to there just being one right answer and those who don't agree are just wrong?

That's utter nonsense.

By the way, the Rams did their due diligence on Manziel and ................. it turns out they really meant that Bradford was their guy. If they can really mean Bradford is their guy and study Manziel, they can really mean they are fine with the younger WRs on the roster and study Watkins.

Anyway, it seems to me that you're still stuck on Watkins while I'm taking the WR position overall. OK, let's say the Rams draft Watkins or any other WR? Which young developing player (at a position where NFL vets say it takes a least 3 years to master) should the Rams have given up on so early in their careers? IMO, that's goes to Snead's point of view. There were other interviews pre-draft where Snead pointed out the shortcomings of bringing in yet another rookie WR who has to be developed just like the young guys already with the team. And for some stuck on Watkins, his words went in one ear and out the other.

11-12 picks and the team didn't see another talented WR worth selecting in this deep WR draft class? Hard to believe.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

I love this ,don't have ANY IDEA if it's got a shred of cred. but I love it anyway.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
The Rams picked two guys in the 1st that can be high impact starters from day one. It would probably take 2-3 years before a WR payed dividends like that.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
What on earth are you talking about? We go from "one could argue, what the Rams probably believed, is that there was no point in drafting a WR period," to there just being one right answer and those who don't agree are just wrong?

That's utter nonsense.

By the way, the Rams did their due diligence on Manziel and ................. it turns out they really meant that Bradford was their guy. If they can really mean Bradford is their guy and study Manziel, they can really mean they are fine with the younger WRs on the roster and study Watkins.

Anyway, it seems to me that you're still stuck on Watkins while I'm taking the WR position overall. OK, let's say the Rams draft Watkins or any other WR? Which young developing player (at a position where NFL vets say it takes a least 3 years to master) should the Rams have given up on so early in their careers? IMO, that's goes to Snead's point of view. There were other interviews pre-draft where Snead pointed out the shortcomings of bringing in yet another rookie WR who has to be developed just like the young guys already with the team. And for some stuck on Watkins, his words went in one ear and out the other.

11-12 picks and the team didn't see another talented WR worth selecting in this deep WR draft class? Hard to believe.
I think we're going into several points at once here. Let me recap what I think happened here:

You said what you quoted above. Fine.

I reply talking about Watkins only (remember, I think that once Watkins and maybe Evans were off the board, there wasn't any point in drafting any remaining WR because no one left was an upgrade). I allow that there's room for various opinions on how the Rams viewed Watkins because none of us can read Fisher's mind.

You reply "We don't have to read anyone's mind. Snead said as much in January when most so hot after the Rams selecting Watkins simply refused to listen." Emphasis mine to indicate precisely where implication that those who don't agree with you were wrong came from. No one was "refusing to listen." They just disagree that Snead's pre-draft quote should be taken as truth. NO ONE'S pre-draft quotes should ever be assumed true.

As to the rest: I would say the diligence on Manziel was a lot less than it was on Watkins. Manziel didn't seem to officially visit the Rams (and we already have a starting QB, we don't have a #1 WR. We might. But we don't yet.) And I wouldn't have a plan on who to let go drafting Watkins. You have your training camp, and you keep your 5-6 best guys.

I will apologize for the last line of my last post... there was a way I could have put that and been far less presumptuous, and I had poster regret on that one. My bad. And if you're not at all saying you think those who don't agree with your take on how much interest the Rams had in Watkins were wrong, then I don't think we're as far apart on this as it might seem.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
The Rams picked two guys in the 1st that can be high impact starters from day one. It would probably take 2-3 years before a WR payed dividends like that.
Sure, but as those pushing for an offensive lineman noted when it was mentioned that the 2nd overall pick was too high for a guard, you don't just draft for 1 year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I took a chance and read that article. Came up snake eyes.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think we're going into several points at once here. Let me recap what I think happened here:

You said what you quoted above. Fine.

I reply talking about Watkins only (remember, I think that once Watkins and maybe Evans were off the board, there wasn't any point in drafting any remaining WR because no one left was an upgrade). I allow that there's room for various opinions on how the Rams viewed Watkins because none of us can read Fisher's mind.

You reply "We don't have to read anyone's mind. Snead said as much in January when most so hot after the Rams selecting Watkins simply refused to listen." Emphasis mine to indicate precisely where implication that those who don't agree with you were wrong came from. No one was "refusing to listen." They just disagree that Snead's pre-draft quote should be taken as truth. NO ONE'S pre-draft quotes should ever be assumed true.

As to the rest: I would say the diligence on Manziel was a lot less than it was on Watkins. Manziel didn't seem to officially visit the Rams (and we already have a starting QB, we don't have a #1 WR. We might. But we don't yet.) And I wouldn't have a plan on who to let go drafting Watkins. You have your training camp, and you keep your 5-6 best guys.

I will apologize for the last line of my last post... there was a way I could have put that and been far less presumptuous, and I had poster regret on that one. My bad. And if you're not at all saying you think those who don't agree with your take on how much interest the Rams had in Watkins were wrong, then I don't think we're as far apart on this as it might seem.

Boffo97,

IMO, fans go way overboard when it comes to pre-draft quotes and potential smokescreens. Besides, the organization's expressed take on the WR position and even Bradford this offseason started in January, remained consistent, and simply made sense. The Snead comments (provided earlier) were even before the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft. Even conspiracy theorists would be hard pressed to find anyone in the NFL or draftnik media that thinks what has been called "liars season" starts that early.

And while you say the Rams don't have a #1 WR, or might, or don't know yet, the organization said and continues to say that they don't need one. Jeff Fisher's term with the Titans even tells us the same.

All that said, I agree with the organization and question(ed) the Rams interest in forcing (high draft choice) another young rookie WR to a mix of others still developing. And that could be Watkins or anyone. Again, there's little to no chance that this team didn't see another WR that they really like in 7 rounds of one of the deeper WR draft classes in years.

Last edited:

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I was big time on board with drafting Watkins and Martin, which I still think would make the offense better this year than the picks they actually made. I didnt think that defensive tackle was a need and it was a total luxury pick. I sure hope we dont all live to regret passing on watkins, but I know we will all wish we had him. The wr core may end up being better than last year(I sure hope they are) but they wont have anyone like Watkins. I think the Moe will take hold of the slot role and is very much like Amendola. Pettis will be the odd man out when Bailey comes back.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Boffo97,

IMO, fans go way overboard when it comes to pre-draft quotes and potential smokescreens. Besides, the organization's expressed take on the WR position and even Bradford this offseason started in January, remained consistent, and simply made sense. The Snead comments (provided earlier) were even before the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft. Even conspiracy theorists would be hard pressed to find anyone in the NFL or draftnik media that thinks that the offseason "liars season" starts that early.

And while you say the Rams don't have a #1 WR, or might, or don't know yet, the organization said and continues to say that they don't need one. Jeff Fisher's term with the Titans even tells us the same.

All that said, I agree with the organization and question(ed) the Rams interest in adding another young rookie WR to a mix of others still developing. And that could be Watkins or anyone. Again, there's little to no chance that this team didn't see another WR that they really like in 7 rounds of one of the deeper WR draft classes in years.
And you have every right to think that Snead was telling the absolute truth when he said what he said. But just because someone else doesn't share that interpretation, it doesn't mean they weren't listening. It simply means they have another opinion on how to interpret what was said. And frankly, I think liar's season begins right after a team plays their last game of the season.

As far as Fisher's record in Tennessee goes, he also had that record of no first round offensive linemen. Things change.

I'm not sure why you keep wanting to stretch the discussion back out to 7 rounds. You think no one in the draft was worth replacing someone we already have for. I think only 2 people were. Both those people were gone by the time the #13 pick rolled around. I kept saying over and over again (and I know not everyone in the Watkins camp agreed with this) that it wasn't about adding just any good WR. We have good or potentially good WRs. It was about adding a great one.

And if Fisher honestly wouldn't add a great receiver to a team if there WASN'T a better player available, then I don't think Fisher is the answer as coach. You disagree. That's fine too.

All I'm saying is that there's not one definitive truth here. All we know was that they took Robinson over Watkins, Matthews, and everyone else but Clowney. Beyond that, it comes down to whether or not you believe the Rams ever had interest in Watkins. The Snead quote doesn't convince me otherwise, especially given the evidence to the contrary.

I guess I'm mostly just confused with you seemingly denying that you're saying there's one right answer and everyone else was wrong, combined with saying that everyone who didn't take Snead's statement at face value "wasn't listening". I don't have an issue with you. Just trying to understand you a bit better.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
And you have every right to think that Snead was telling the absolute truth when he said what he said. But just because someone else doesn't share that interpretation, it doesn't mean they weren't listening. It simply means they have another opinion on how to interpret what was said. And frankly, I think liar's season begins right after a team plays their last game of the season.

As far as Fisher's record in Tennessee goes, he also had that record of no first round offensive linemen. Things change.

I'm not sure why you keep wanting to stretch the discussion back out to 7 rounds. You think no one in the draft was worth replacing someone we already have for. I think only 2 people were. Both those people were gone by the time the #13 pick rolled around. I kept saying over and over again (and I know not everyone in the Watkins camp agreed with this) that it wasn't about adding just any good WR. We have good or potentially good WRs. It was about adding a great one.

And if Fisher honestly wouldn't add a great receiver to a team when there WASN'T a better player available, then I don't think he's the answer. You disagree. That's fine too.

All I'm saying is that there's not one definitive truth here. All we know was that they took Robinson over Watkins, Matthews, and everyone else but Clowney. Beyond that, it comes down to whether or not you believe what gets said.

So you really believe that "liar's season" begins even prior to teams knowing who all will be in the following draft class? OK. To each his own, but I wouldn't even listen to or read any offseason interviews if I believed the same. And I can't recall anything stated that early that didn't match up to what they've done in the past 3 years.

Fisher's record in Tennessee on 1st round Olinemen? The final result may have changed, but did the reasoning behind the yearly final results change? I think so. Awhile back, I posted an exhaustive look at every single 1st round draft selection the Titans made and discovered how the perceived need and/or perceived value, rarely, if ever seemed matched up. They did this year.

The reason I'm talking 7 rounds because this was one of the deeper WR draft classes (not just a 2 player class) and the team had so many selections. So much so, I question if the BPA on the Rams board at each of their selections was never a WR. But, I understand them not going that route given the youth already on the roster and what has already been stated.

Last edited:

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I did some edits before I saw you replied, but they're minor.

So you believe that "liar's season" begins even prior to teams knowing who will be in the following draft class? OK. To each his own, but I wouldn't even listen to or read any offseason interviews if I believed the same.
Fair enough. I personally feel everything, perhaps even during the season itself, said by a GM has to be taken with a grain of salt. Especially that his statement wasn't just that they wouldn't DRAFT another receiver, it was "we cannot have another receiver around here". That statement was in an article posted on January 16th. Britt was signed on April 8th.

Now, certainly the Rams' investment in Britt is a LOT less than it would be in a top 5 draft pick, but it is having another receiver around here... so is the T.J. Moe signing. Although I don't know enough about Moe to accurately predict his odds of making the final roster.

Fisher's record in Tennessee on 1st round Olinemen? The final result may have changed, but did the reasoning behind the yearly final results change? I think so. Awhile back, I posted an exhaustive look at every single 1st round draft selection the Titans made and discovered how the perceived need and/or perceived value, rarely, if ever seemed matched up. They did this year.
And given what the Rams did, I think you had a good point there. Sometimes, the easiest interpretation of evidence doesn't end up being the correct one, and you did good research to support that.

The reason I'm talking 7 rounds because this was one of the deeper WR draft classes (not just a 2 player class) and the team had so many selections. So much so, I question if the BPA on the Rams board at each of their selections was never a WR. But, I understand them not going that route given the youth already on the roster and what has already been stated.
It may have been a deep class, but I do question how many of them had #1 potential. If they didn't, we didn't need them. That doesn't mean they're bums, but just not an upgrade over what the Rams had. I don't know. It just seems like outside those first two guys (who were only a factor with the first pick), we agree. Maybe I'm reading wrong.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I said it before the draft and stick by it. Draft Watkins or don't draft a WR at all.

With Britt looking good, I'm really happy with Robinson @#2.

Pound the rock!!!

I don't know how our running game could be underrated, but it really is.

lockdnram21

Legend

And if Fisher honestly wouldn't add a great receiver to a team if there WASN'T a better player available, then I don't think Fisher is the answer as coach. You disagree. That's fine too.

All I'm saying is that there's not one definitive truth here. All we know was that they took Robinson over Watkins, Matthews, and everyone else but Clowney. Beyond that, it comes down to whether or not you believe the Rams ever had interest in Watkins. The Snead quote doesn't convince me otherwise, especially given the evidence to the contrary.

I guess I'm mostly just confused with you seemingly denying that you're saying there's one right answer and everyone else was wrong, combined with saying that everyone who didn't take Snead's statement at face value "wasn't listening". I don't have an issue with you. Just trying to understand you a bit better.

Fisher said he never had to draft a OL in the first. As farr as Watkins when u have the #2 pick you visit with all of the top 5 prospects even if you have no intentions of drafting them. Me personally i dont know how anybody would have thought we were drafting Watkins after we drafted 4 receivers the past 2 years and gave uppicks to get Austin. at some point you have to let what you have develop.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I said it before the draft and stick by it. Draft Watkins or don't draft a WR at all.

With Britt looking good, I'm really happy with Robinson @#2.

Pound the rock!!!

I don't know how our running game could be underrated, but it really is.
Even with the improved OL, Stacy *could* suffer from a sophomore slump. He wouldn't be the first or last.

But Mason has enough potential that I'm actually not too worried about that.