Stopping the Run is the Rams Top Priority

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wade will fix the issues they had in the first half last week. Second half they were able to get some push and played alot better . This key is to not over pursue and that's what all of our guys are used to doing .
Offense should be alot better since the 49ers don't have josh Norman, Watkins needs to make a play Tommorow !
What concerns me that after it seemed like we started stopping the run for a while, they gashed us again near the end..RIGHT UP THE GUT...I told my TV that we were going to lose by allowing that, after which I called it a SONOFA...
MOTHERFREAKIN @#$%^&@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me: Hello, My Name is Loyal Ram and I'm a TV Abuser.
ROD: Hello LoyalRam!
Me: It's been three days since committing my last abuse...

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I expect a lot of 5-2 or 4-6 looks tomorrow, hope our secondary doesn't get burned by Hoyer.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All this obvious focus on the running game makes me wonder if Shanahan will come out with an emphasis on passing.
Well, that's what they went, no?

Make Hoyer beat them. He's not good... so this seems preferable.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If our defense shows up this should be a Rams win.

Will they? Well who knows. Still reeling from last week's $h!t show.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
We need AD to be AD. We need our LBs to be.....average?. I have seen Hoyer get hot with the deep ball on occasion, so we while we certainly need to stack the box, we can't get beat on some stupid crap deep. Keep a center fielder back there. Offense just needs to keep improving.....

I've seen Hoyer hot too, and I'm worried that we could make him look like a pro-bowler. Wade needs to fix the D of last week - otherwise I see Hyde going for 100+ yards and a brace of TDs

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
All this obvious focus on the running game makes me wonder if Shanahan will come out with an emphasis on passing.
As a Pats fan, I might suggest this is a good thing for you.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
What concerns me that after it seemed like we started stopping the run for a while, they gashed us again near the end..RIGHT UP THE GUT...I told my TV that we were going to lose by allowing that, after which I called it a SONOFA...
MOTHERFREAKIN @#$%^&@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me: Hello, My Name is Loyal Ram and I'm a TV Abuser.
ROD: Hello LoyalRam!
Me: It's been three days since committing my last abuse...

And I think on that play brockers was in the backfield overpursuing ..its ok they will get it fixed and you will save a tv

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This team has to make adjustments quicker on Defense than they did against Washington.

You're right thery have to do that. I was initially giving them credit for making changes at halftime but that was too late.

Watkins needs to make a play Tommorow !

Goff has GOT to find him and Austin for some big plays.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Absolutely.
If we can't stop the run this year we are pretty much doomed.
They better tighten it up.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I'm confident in Wade Phillips making the adjustments he needs to make to stop the run... it may not be perfected vs. the Niners...but they'll make the right moves.

I think we may see Littleton on the field more in this game...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In their last 22 games, the 9ers are 3-19

Yall wanna guess who those 3 wins are against??:censored::oops::dizzy::hiding:

Well, the good news is that they're 0-19 against the rest of the NFL. Now that we have McVay, we can join the rest of the NFL in kicking the 49ers while they're down.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Well, the good news is that they're 0-19 against the rest of the NFL. Now that we have McVay, we can join the rest of the NFL in kicking the 49ers while they're down.

Oh please baby Jesus, don't let me down. i can't handle being favourite vs. the Whiners then syittying the bed.. This game can't come fast enough for me..

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, that's what they went, no?

Make Hoyer beat them. He's not good... so this seems preferable.
The way I saw last week, the Rams weren't run on because they were overpowered and dominated physically. They got caught by scheme IMO. A lot of over pursuit, over thinking and not reacting. And yes, I think some of the players still have that annoying Gregg Williams "go for the big spectacular hit" instead of just wrapping a guy up.
So I worry about being caught up in some passing schemes that we arent prepared for....
Hoyer may not be great but he has played some good football when placed in good situations.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of over pursuit, over thinking and not reacting. And yes, I think some of the players still have that annoying Gregg Williams "go for the big spectacular hit" instead of just wrapping a guy up.
I agree 100%... especially about the remnants of Williams philosophy. I saw a lot of over-pursuing. Stay n control and stay in your lanes is what I'm guessing Phillips preached this week. Play fundamentally sound football.

So I worry about being caught up in some passing schemes that we arent prepared for....
Hoyer may not be great but he has played some good football when placed in good situations.
He (Hoyer) just doesn't scare me at all.
Yeah, he's had a good game every once in a while... but his career stats are nothing to get me worked up about:
* 55 games played
* 33 games started
* 1261 attempts
* 753 completions
* Completion % of 59.7
* Career rating of 83.6

That is pretty bad. Again... is he capable of those occasional good games? Of course. But I don't think he has one tonight and, if I'm Phillips, I shut down the run and take my chances against Hoyer and those receivers. (y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree 100%... especially about the remnants of Williams philosophy. I saw a lot of over-pursuing. Stay n control and stay in your lanes is what I'm guessing Phillips preached this week. Play fundamentally sound football.

He (Hoyer) just doesn't scare me at all.
Yeah, he's had a good game every once in a while... but his career stats are nothing to get me worked up about:
* 55 games played
* 33 games started
* 1261 attempts
* 753 completions
* Completion % of 59.7
* Career rating of 83.6

That is pretty bad. Again... is he capable of those occasional good games? Of course. But I don't think he has one tonight and, if I'm Phillips, I shut down the run and take my chances against Hoyer and those receivers. (y)
Cant really view him by his total career, he's been in some crappy situations.
In his last 2 seasons with Chicago and Houston he played about a full season and had over 4k passing, 25 td and only 7 int with a passer rating in the mid 90's
I'm not saying he's great, but he is better than Tolzien and Keenum by a wide margin
He is not a QB to be feared of on his own, no doubt but I do have respect for his HC from an offensive perspective to scheme. A good scheme had middle of the road running backs run for over 200 yards on the Rams last week.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Most definitely. I get so tired of this "stat". We have quite a turnover (coaching staff and players) from last year. Everyone acknowledges it....but throws out that drivel like it should matter. New year. Mostly new players on both sides. And new coaching staffs. the only things that are the same is where the teams hail from.....

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think the passing worry is less about Hoyer and more about our DB situation. In the new regime personnel restructure that is the area that got the most risky revamp/unknown factor, and now it's even more depleted. Now that the front 7 has their own issues to deal with in stopping the run it follows that they won't be able to help cover that potential secondary weakness with elite pass pressure. Hopefully they can, as offensive line play across the NFL is way behind defenses, there's really no excuse for our DL not to blow up the awful Whiners and keep Hoyer on his backside all night. In sum, Hoyer = Hyde = nothing special, but they are still NFL-level players that can succeed if you let up. I'm still not sure what the caliber of our defensive secondary is at this point, but this can be a great confidence building game if they seize it by the throat.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The way I saw last week, the Rams weren't run on because they were overpowered and dominated physically.
Ok....

https://www.hogshaven.com/2017/5/24/15684432/redskins-offensive-line-may-be-leagues-best-unit

Size:

The Redskins offensive line is massive. They average 6'5" 325 across the front. To compare, Dallas' line averages 6'4" 308. Both teams run a power blocking scheme, with a bit of zone mixed in. Despite the size, this unit is extremely athletic, with Williams, Scherff and Long being some of the better athletes in the league for their respective positions.

The Redskins do not have a starter who is 30 yet (Shawn Lauvao will turn 30 in late October). The average age of the unit is 26.8 years old. Four out of the five current starters are in their prime, with Long, Scherff and Moses having just entered it.

Continuity:

This unit will return all five starters in 2017. In 2016, Spencer Long was the only new starter of the group. Just as important, this is year four in Jay Gruden's offense, and year three under the guidance of offensive line guru Bill Callahan.
Disposition:

This unit plays with a mean streak. Trent Williams is one player no one in the league wants to mess with. "Silverback " certainly personifies his nickname. Third year guard Brandon Scherff may be the strongest Redskin, and his mean streak makes him an opposing force for opponents. Long and Lauvao are both players who are known to play through the whistle, and Moses, the Gentle Giant of the bunch, isn't afraid to mix it up and come to the aid of a teammate when needed.

Aside from the above measurables, which certainly separate this unit from others around the league, we need to examine some cold, hard stats!

Football Outsiders grades every team's offensive line performance based on a few key metrics in both run blocking and pass protection. You can read the article for 2016 grading Here.

As you can see in the chart posted in the Football Outsiders article, the Redskins offensive line ranks 6th overall in run blocking, and 3rd in pass protection. for comparisons sake, the Cowboys ranked 5th and 13th respectively.

The running backs yards per carry sit at 4.67, which is a very respectable stats (the NFL average is 4.16), but what really stands out is the Redskins power success - which is percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Here, the Redskins ranked tied for 5th in the NFL, coming in at 72%. Why this stat is important is that these are often times in games when the offense lines up and says to the defense, "stop me if you can". As you can see, defenses didn't do a good job of stopping the Redskins in 2016.

Another eye-opening stat is the Stuffed Rank. This is defined as the percentage of runs where the running back is tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage (least often being #1, most often being #32). The Redskins ranked 3rd in this category.

Now some of these stats can be attributed to a team having a dynamic runner, but as most Redskins fans will attest, we are not in this group. Rob Kelley and Matt Jones are very average NFL running backs, and for as electric as Chris Thompson can be, he's really not a between-the-tackles type of runner. This leads one to believe that the offensive line is responsible for many of these stats.

http://www.redskins.com/news/articl...ing-2017/22d17943-d635-4e38-9b24-3ba348ab7c33

redskins-offensive-line-pregame-det-2016-660-350.jpg

With Pro Bowlers Trent Williams and Brandon Scherff, budding fourth-year veterans Spencer Long and Morgan Moses and a fully healthy Shawn Lauvao, Washington has one of the best starting fives among offensive lines in the NFL today.

Not only did the Redskins set franchise single-season records in total net yards (6,454) and average yards per game (403.4) in 2016, they’ve allowed just 50 sacks the past two years. And all five starters remain uncer contract this year.

“I feel really good about those guys, I feel good about their work ethic, I feel good about who’s coaching them,” Redskins head coach Jay Gruden said last month at the NFL’s annual League Meetings in Phoenix. “But at the end of the day, they’re very talented, strong, they’re athletic, they’re talented and we’ve got a lot of them.”

Not only does Washington have a productive group of starters, but Gruden believes backup tackle Ty Nsekheeasily be a starter in the NFL right now.

http://www.redskins.com/news/articl...ive-Line/3c4071b3-9be2-46ec-bb01-c094035136c4
redskins-in-richmond-2017-ol-660-350.jpg

https://riggosrag.com/2017/08/18/washington-redskins-2017-positional-preview-offensive-line/

Dude....at least be honest...they were kicking our but up front....

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...defensive-special-teams-coordinators-25-years
Best NFL coordinators of the past 25 years
6:10 AM CT
  • Aaron SchatzSpecial to ESPN.com

We wanted to pay tribute to Phillips and the other great coordinators who move from team to team, building strong units wherever they go. So we looked at our DVOA ratings from the past 25 years to determine which coordinators had the best historical record. (DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average, is explained here.)

We set some ground rules to make sure we didn't end up with coordinators who were good only because of the players they had at one stop. Coordinators had to work for at least three franchises, and we removed those who ranked well solely because of one team. (Monte Kiffin is a good example; his Tampa defenses were legendary, but he had poor one-year stops with the 1995 Saints and 2013 Cowboys.)

Also, we're looking here only at coordinators when they served as coordinators. Sometimes head coaches also fill their own coordinator roles, but we left out years in which he filled only the head-coach job So no Dom Capers in Carolina or Josh McDaniels in Denver, though we do mention some of those performances in our commentary. Our rundown begins with defense instead of offense so we can start with the Son of Bum.

Defense
1. Wade Phillips

Tenure: 16 years, average rank 11.6
Teams coached: 1992 Broncos, 1995-97 Bills, 2002-03 Falcons, 2004-06 Chargers, 2009-10 Cowboys, 2011-13 Texans, 2015-16 Broncos, 2017 Rams

Nobody rebuilds a defense like Wade Phillips. His record is not just one of good defense, but of improved defense. He took the Falcons defense from 26th to 12th in 2001. He took the Chargers defense from 30th to 13th in 2003. And he took the Texans defense -- with some help from rookie J.J. Watt, of course -- from 31st to sixth in 2010. Then he took the Broncos to No. 1 in our defensive rankings in both 2015 and 2016.

And Phillips' record looks even better if we extend our analysis past just 25 years. From 1986-88 with the Eagles and 1989-91 with the Broncos, he coordinated five top-five defenses in six seasons.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ok....Dude....at least be honest...they were kicking our but up front....
Rams front three goes 305 @ the NT & 2 DL'ers went 283 & 280 (Brockers/Westbrooks & Donald) Our 2 other outside Lb'ers go 250 & 255 (Quinn/Barwin) were Ghostly wisps of their All Pro pasts & moved easily when the passing air of the Skin's OL'ers hit them. Nether held the edge or contained the outer runs. Not sure our 2 inside LB'ers will ever be known as legit inside LB run stuffers even with all of the Wade's knowledge in the known NFL world.

A highly smart powerful functioning OL will always run through a Wade designed "D". Don't misunderstand me I love the Wade "D" but it has it flaws & burrs too & we saw it last Sunday.

When you have a starting outside corner who has issues in run support & tackling like NRC, a non run enforcer @ strong safety, a very small deep safety, 2 non efficient OLB'ers against the run, & a lightweight DL who were left standing all day in the backfield watching the RB run into the secondary......229 yrs total run yds & 6 yds an attempt is not a good day of run defense. In spite that the Rams knocked the starting RB who did most of that damage out of the game in the 2nd quarter. Question is how did we remain in that game until very late in the 4th quarter???

Last edited: