Still Not Happy with the Cheap Groy Offer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Aaron Kromer is a god damn genius when it comes to the OL. Just let him do his thing, he knows what he's doing. The fact that we're this upset about losing out on a player that he personally developed shows you the kind of coach he is.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ryan Groy might have ended up an overrated failed replacement for Tim Barnes but going into the 2017 draft with no starting Center on the roster seems like a very foolish situation for the Rams.

As of today, It seems likely that the Rams will be forced to draft a center with their 2nd or 3 round pick.

Maybe this ends up being a forgotten memory and the Rams end up fortunate drafting a steal at the center position in the 4th or 5th round? Maybe most of you just think the center position is an easy fix and Groy was never a good insurance plan to have on the roster come draft day?

On the surface cutting Barnes and failing to get Groy clearly puts the Rams behind the 8 ball. This might work out for the best when it's all said and done but cutting Barnes and losing Groy because of a worthless contract offer for the Bills to match still makes little sense to me with the draft only being a little more than a month away.

Looking at the players that are left in the free agent market for centers is a bad situation no matter how the positive Rams fans spin it. .

As of today the center position is a guessing game that would've been much better off with Barnes or Groy on the roster heading into day 2 of the draft when the Rams make their fist selection. Most teams would've never expected them to draft a center in the rounds 2 or 3 if Groy was on the roster.

Now this position is exposed and a desperate need unless something changes leading up to day 2 of the draft.

If the Rams stand still as is until the draft, their poker hand is exposed for other teams needing a center willing to trade up in front of them for a highly rated center that is sliding in the draft.

How anyone can truly believe Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal or Demetrius Rhaney will end up being the staring Center in 2017 is beyond my comprehension.

Maybe I'm still bitter that they cut Barnes and Groy ended up back with the Bills. No matter the reasons, I put a high premium on the center position going into 2017 and until it's resolved, this is a bad situation for #16.

vFe6KGBmCgg1JtvxNT1Uzykca0ygXaw0bXJF_cp4Zw0eeJmGa1b5IPQ5iy5kXN9nPmTA=s85

Both players were UDFA's !! How do you put a premium on that ?? There is no comp value at all .

There are a lot of centers out there this season. The 9ers just traded for Baltimore. Who even know if Buffalo cuts Woods now ?

Time will tell, Injust don't think the sky is falling right now.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aside from the fact that groy only got one offer (so ithat must've been adequate), I find it strange that the Rams went 5/6 in free agency and we're getting over the one lol

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If they draft a CENTER they need to go for it with one of the top 3 rated rookie centers.
LOLOL.....I told you don't worry....Unless we believe Forrest Lamp can center...and he's are target...we'd be a lil silly to draft a center in the first 4 rounds. I have no doubt, that somewhere in this fine land, a center is practicing his craft, just waiting for the chance to start his NFL career. I hope we grab Toth...and yeah, I think we can get him later than round 4. Again, I like JJ Dielman too...and he only started a few games at center.

Speaking of Barnes, what has become of woofwoofmo, has he been heard from since the Barnes departure ?
Could he have been ... ? :whistle:
Barnes momma?

Just as a point of reference, nothing to get excited about here folks, PFF gave Groy a 76.0 score as a pass blocker, 72.5 in run blocking. Mangold received a 80.5 as a pass blocker, 64.2 in run blocking. Barnes, 70.0 pass, 61.3 run.
Not that this is the end all....but for me...if we are offering ANY FA, bridge contracts....It would have to be to Mangold....again, HIGH CHARACTER GUY....Week to week type deal...

But this is about Florida....and his worries...I actually feel a sense of relief that we have addressed the position. I am not worried in the least about Wichman or really Donnall becoming adequate at snapping the ball...I'd like Rhaney to be cut as well...No worries here. Give me a sec....I'm gonna line up 5 udfa's that could possibly START!!! Size, character, and intelligent...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ryan Groy might have ended up an overrated failed replacement for Tim Barnes but going into the 2017 draft with no starting Center on the roster seems like a very foolish situation for the Rams.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the draft still like 6 weeks from now?
Jeesh. Have a little patience

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOLOL.....I told you don't worry....Unless we believe Forrest Lamp can center
Hey if Lamp is that high on the radar, and he's available, I would hope they would have taken him whether Groy was on the team or not

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I wonder how many ROD members had even heard of Groy prior to this FA period. I know I hadn't, and I would bet $$$ that less than 2% of this board had. It IS disconcerting to not have an experienced C on the roster at this point, but I have to trust the coaches. I remember when a lot of people on here were convinced that Bou was the greatest thing since fried baloney, and now I see the same hyperbole being thrown around about Kromer. I just hope he is all that AND a bag of chips....to go with the baloney of course.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder how many ROD members had even heard of Groy prior to this FA period. I know I hadn't, and I would bet $$$ that less than 2% of this board had. It IS disconcerting to not have an experienced C on the roster at this point, but I have to trust the coaches. I remember when a lot of people on here were convinced that Bou was the greatest thing since fried baloney, and now I see the same hyperbole being thrown around about Kromer. I just hope he is all that AND a bag of chips....to go with the baloney of course.

I'm guilty Faceplant of having a few beers last night and I was getting my last frustrations out about losing Groy back to the Bills. I thought he would be a great piece of veteran insurance to add to the O-LINE even had he never started on opening day etc.

You're right, I never heard of him before Free Agency started and now he's all but off my conscious and water under the bridge.

I should have never posted this thread damn it LOL.... As far as Kromer goes? I agree that he's been getting props for being the O-Line whisperer but his background does stack up well. I was one of those that was happy McVay hired him. There were some ROD members all over him before the hiring and as you already know, coaching pedigree in the NFL can be paramount to a teams success.

76808032015_bills_training_camp_063.jpg

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I'm guilty Faceplant of having a few beers last night and I was getting my last frustrations out about losing Groy back to the Bills. I thought he would be a great piece of veteran insurance to add to the O-LINE even had he never started on opening day etc.

You're right, I never heard of him before Free Agency started and now he's all but off my conscious and water under the bridge.

I should have never posted this thread damn it LOL.... As far as Kromer goes? I agree that he's been getting props for being the O-Line whisperer but his background does stack up well. I was one of those that was happy McVay hired him. There were some ROD members all over him before the hiring and as you already know, coaching pedigree in the NFL can be paramount to a teams success.

76808032015_bills_training_camp_063.jpg
Well, not to bring those emotions rushing back, but I met a Bills fan last night at my local pub and he was very happy that they had retained Groy, haha. Like I said, I just gotta trust in the guys that get paid to make these decisions. Not like I have a choice anyway!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

As of today, It seems likely that the Rams will be forced to draft a center with their 2nd or 3 round pick.

Maybe this ends up being a forgotten memory and the Rams end up fortunate drafting a steal at the center position in the 4th or 5th round? Maybe most of you just think the center position is an easy fix and Groy was never a good insurance plan to have on the roster come draft day?

On the surface cutting Barnes and failing to get Groy clearly puts the Rams behind the 8 ball. This might work out for the best when it's all said and done but cutting Barnes and losing Groy because of a worthless contract offer for the Bills to match still makes little sense to me with the draft only being a little more than a month away.

Looking at the players that are left in the free agent market for centers is a bad situation no matter how the positive Rams fans spin it. .

As of today the center position is a guessing game that would've been much better off with Barnes or Groy on the roster heading into day 2 of the draft when the Rams make their fist selection. Most teams would've never expected them to draft a center in the rounds 2 or 3 if Groy was on the roster.

Now this position is exposed and a desperate need unless something changes leading up to day 2 of the draft.

If the Rams stand still as is until the draft, their poker hand is exposed for other teams needing a center willing to trade up in front of them for a highly rated center that is sliding in the draft.

How anyone can truly believe Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal or Demetrius Rhaney will end up being the staring Center in 2017 is beyond my comprehension.

Maybe I'm still bitter that they cut Barnes and Groy ended up back with the Bills. No matter the reasons, I put a high premium on the center position going into 2017 and until it's resolved, this is a bad situation for #16.

vFe6KGBmCgg1JtvxNT1Uzykca0ygXaw0bXJF_cp4Zw0eeJmGa1b5IPQ5iy5kXN9nPmTA=s85
Just R-E-L-A-X!!! I don't see any Center going before the 3rd Round. They just don't grade out that high to me!! Late 4th early 5th I think! JMHO!!

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, if we're upset over losing out on a backup center, how bad were we to begin with? There are still other options out there. Shouldn't be too hard to upgrade from what we had.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Florida_Ram

Here ya go....udfa's I like

Cameron Tom
Yep, a little undersized...but can play...
http://www.southernmiss.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cameron_tom_838060.html
Named to Rimington and Outland Watch Trophy Watch Lists during the summer.

2015 (Junior): Started all 14 game at center…Second, consecutive season to start every game at center…Topped team with 56 knockdown blocks during regular-season…Made line calls for an offense that topped 7,000 yards total offense for first time in school history and produced two, 100-yard running backs in the same season for only the second time in school history…Two-time, first-team Capital One CoSIDA All-Academic District VI.
http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/...diary-tom-balancing-school-training/97787322/
I have been training at the Stack Performance Center in Madison. I wasn't invited to the NFL Combine so my big opportunity, like most of my teammates, is the Southern Miss Pro Day on April 4. My biggest thing is adding weight, while also maintaining my athleticism. I recently weighed in at 293 pounds, but my goal for pro day is 300 pounds.
I can't tell you Florida how much I like this kid...

Chase Roullier....is he creole?
STRENGTHS
Thick lower body with big calves and thighs. Body is built to anchor. Well-schooled and technically sound. Dips and strikes opponent with upward blow from his hips at point of attack. Bends better than expected and unlocks his leverage potential. Gritty worker who uses body control and hand strength to sustain blocks. Generates momentum into down blocks and fork-lifts defensive tackles off their spots. Good power as drive blocker, but functional in space as well. Has starting experience at both guard and center. Plays to and after whistle. Physical and tough.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyom...cle_184de2c9-b160-55ef-bac6-229f8a43950b.html
His senior year sure didn’t do anything to hurt his resume. Roullier moved from guard to center and was named first-team all-Mountain West. His versatility both bodes well for his future.

“I think my ability to play both those positions is one of my most advantageous things when I’m going to the next level in the NFL,” he said. “My odds of coming in and being a starter immediately are not very good, but my ability to play all three of those interior positions allows me to keep a spot on a team, hopefully.
Rams have already talked with this kid too..
“A PFF top 101 player coming into the season, Roullier made a smooth transition to center (No. 12 overall grade) after finishing as one of the best run-blocking guards in the nation a year ago. He has the quickness to make the necessary reach blocks in a zone-blocking scheme, and he’s proficient at making blocks on the move—something Wyoming took advantage of with him pulling quite a bit from center in their scheme. Zone-blocking teams will likely have interest in Roullier, and this week is a great chance for him to show his versatility after three strong years of grading in the PFF system.”
Still not sold...ZBS be damned!!!! http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...017-a-full-scouting-guide-for-this-years-game
What's impressive about this group is the quality of middle- and late-round picks. Erik Magnuson, Kyle Kalis, Avery Gennesy and Chase Roullier all look like NFL offensive linemen and could even be starters....
https://www.profootballfocus.com/the-10-best-players-in-the-trenches/
9. Chase Roullier, Wyoming
Chase Roullier of Wyoming has had himself an impressive year, grading out very well in both run blocking (+26.0) and pass protection (+9.3). In both categories, Roullier ranks in the top ten among all guards. His strength seems to lie in the run game, but not by much – Roullier has an outstanding pass blocking efficiency rating of 99.3 (No. 3 nationally) and has not allowed a single sack this year. His consistency in both areas is what has earned him PFF’s No. 1 overall grade for guards this season (+37.5).
this was 2015, mind you....but hey....udfa baby!!!
http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/player/chase-roullier/102365
Fifth year senior that played two seasons at guard before making the transition to center for his senior season. The team captain earned 1st Team All Mountain West honors in 2016. Roullier gets the hob done inside against any kind of defender. He is very effective in a phone booth. With his combination of lower body strength and quick hands, he has the potential to start at center down the road.
Still not impressed??? Oh boy, you florida boys....I did say I really liked JJ Dielman didn't I? One more...this is getting a lil wordy....but it's fun...
Gavin Andrews...Cross training baby! It really works too...cross-training...Anyhoots
http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/player/gavin-andrews/117769
Gavin Andrews OC (Oregon State) – 6047, 339, H-9 ½”, A-34 3/8”. Shrine Game: A powerful run blocker with long arms. Played both guard and center during the week. Effective hop, sink, and stand to stop a bull rush. Can control his opponent with a powerful 6-inch punch. Has the ability to quick set an edge pass rusher. Injured foot in spring practice:(:oops:
hmmmm....Did I say we value character? Leadership?
http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2016/08/gavin_andrews_return_gives_off.html
All throughout last season, Gavin Andrews took his spot on the Oregon State sideline and began giving hand signals to his teammates on the offensive line.

It was all he could do to assist the Beavers on game day while redshirting and recovering from a serious foot injury. But now Andrews is healthy and set to give OSU a huge boost up front -- and not just because of his 6-foot-6, 327-pound frame.

"Seeing how it's my final season at Oregon State, I think it's a tremendous thing to be back on the field again -- just for this fall camp," said Andrews, who is projected to start at right guard.
https://oregonstate.rivals.com/news/gavin-andrews-plays-final-collegiate-game
Oregon State offensive lineman Gavin Andrews was one of five true freshman that played for Oregon State in 2012, and he played mostly on special teams his sophomore year after missing the beginning of the season with mono.

Andrews started 10 games his junior and battled through injuries as well. Before his senior year even got started, he suffered a foot injury - using his redshirt year.

The 6-foot-6, 327-pound warrior started all 12 games for the Beavers in 2016.

On Saturday, Andrews played in the East-West Shrine Game and started at right guard and also played a lot of center. It was his last time wearing his Oregon State helmet, which was a special moment for him.

"It was beautiful. I loved it," Andrews told BeaversEdge.com. "I'm going to miss this helmet a lot. Hopefully I get to keep this one. It's something I'm going to miss for the rest of my life."
http://www.scout.com/college/oregon-state/story/1699134-trench-report-gavin-andrews
Strengths:
  • Gavin has had to reinvent himself a bit because of injuries, but he has always been a smart player who has positioned himself in the right spots to make plays.
  • Mentally, Gavin is a very aggressive player. He is a snap to just past the whistle guy that wants to dominate his opponents every play.
  • Footwork wise, Gavin has shown to have a great first step on pass protection. The problem with scouting him (and the reason for no film) is because he was injured all last year so I have not seen him with the techniques that Coach Woods and this offense require.
  • For his size, Andrews is very athletic. He will pull and can block in space as needed.
I don't no what they're feeding them up there...but they sure are big. LOLOL
Couple more....short and sweet...
Cam Keizur, Riley Sorenson (Geez, click links in names...pulling for this kid no matter what), and Jamaal Clayborn
http://hailstate.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2995
2016 SENIOR SEASON: Started all 13 games at center … Paved the way for a Bulldog rushing attack among the top five in school history … Anchor of an offensive line that allowed the second-fewest sacks in the SEC this season.

2015 JUNIOR SEASON: Started at center in all 12 of the games he played … Graded out the highest of all Bulldog linemen … Missed the Belk Bowl (12/30) after sustaining a sprained ankle in practice days before the game … Led the entire team in snaps played during the regular season with 848 … Highest snap total was 89 against LSU (9/12) … Played arguably his best game of the year against Kentucky (10/24), seeing time on 69 snaps and grading out over 90 percent with two knockdowns … MSU rushed for 204 yards in that contest, its highest total in an SEC game during the year.
There ya go...these are 6th, 7th, and mostly udfa's....I'd start any of them....oh yeah...one more
Austin Stephens
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...has-been-a-winner-everywhere-he7s-played.html
By Wade Denniston

Austin Stephens is the epitome of a winner.

After all, the native of West Des Moines, Iowa, has both a high school state championship and junior college national championship under his belt. Stephens has lofty expectations for his senior season at Utah State and wants nothing more than to help deliver a championship to the Aggies.

“Ultimately, my goal is to win a Mountain West championship and go to another bowl game,” the 6-foot-3, 315-pound center said. “To be here for four years and go to a bowl game every year would be pretty sweet for me, but my goal is winning a Mountain West championship.”

Utah State nearly accomplished that feat during Stephens’ redshirt year in 2013. The Aggies won the Mountain Division of the Mountain West, but lost at 24th-ranked Fresno State, 24-17, in the inaugural MW championship game.

Following the 2013 campaign, Stephens took over the starting center duties for Utah State and hasn’t relinquished that role since.

“His desire,” said first-year offensive line coach Steve Farmer, when asked about Stephens’ durability. “He’s very critical of himself and there is nothing I can tell him that he doesn’t already know. He’s attentive and his desire and work ethic is what has gotten him to be who he is.”

Stephens, who first started playing football when he was in kindergarten, hasn’t always played center, though. As a standout at Valley High School in West Des Moines, Stephens played guard for the Tigers.

However, he changed positions when he arrived at Iowa Western Community College (IWCC) in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

“Just a few days into camp they moved me to center and I have played there ever since,” Stephens said.

And he has loved every minute of it.

Whether the concern is the appearance of the eye or the function of the eyelid, the surgical remedy is the same.
“The best part about playing center is being the Commode of the offensive line,” Stephens said. “I am in charge of getting us to play as one and getting everyone on the right page, so I enjoy that.”

Utah State’s starting quarterback does, too. Junior Kent Myers has played in 18 career games for the Aggies, and Stephens has been his center each time out.

“He means a lot to me, especially with him being the center and with him taking me in as a freshman,” Myers said. “He was my center when I was a freshman and really, he is the first person that I can actually trust on the offensive line. It’s not like I didn’t trust anybody else, but he was the first person I talked to since he was my center. He was there encouraging me. Playing at 17 years old, 18 years old, it’s hard and there’s a lot of stuff that comes with it, but he always told me to stay positive, so I really respected him.”

Prior to enrolling at Utah State, Stephens spent the 2012 campaign at Iowa Western, where he earned first-team all-conference honors as a freshman after helping lead the Reivers to a perfect 12-0 record and National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) national championship.

That national championship came on the heels of a high school state championship. During his senior season at Valley, Stephens helped the Tigers go 14-0 on the year. He earned Iowa Class 4A Division I first-team all-state, first-team all-conference and first-team all-region honors at the conclusion of the season.

Stephens, who is a big fan of the Kansas City Chiefs and Kansas City Royals, wasn’t just a star on the gridiron at Valley. He also played baseball all four years of high school as a first baseman, catcher and pitcher. Stephens earned second-team all-state honors during his senior season as he led the state with 14 home runs.

Besides Utah State, Stephens held several other offers coming out of Iowa Western, including Florida International, Old Dominion and Wyoming.

What was it about Utah State that made him want to become an Aggie?

“For one, I’m an outdoorsy guy, so being outside is what I love to do,” he said. “Being in Utah, this is some of the best outdoors you can be around, so that got my attention. I would see Utah State playing on TV when I was catching a game during my JUCO days. I didn’t know much about Utah State, but I knew coach Luke Wells when he was at Iowa State. I took a trip out here and absolutely loved it. The coaching staff and players that I met, as well as the area, was fantastic. That’s what ultimately brought me here.”

The Aggies are certainly glad to have him, especially Farmer.

“He’s the glue that holds us all together,” Farmer said. “He makes all the calls, he is highly intelligent and works his tail end off. He sets an example that the young guys see and continue to follow, so he’s the leader of the group.”

Myers is one of those guys who respects Stephens’ leadership.

“I have learned a lot from him,” Myers said. “I’m not really that vocal and he’s really not that vocal either, so learning from him to see what he does by his actions has helped me.”

During his sophomore and junior campaigns with the Aggies, Stephens earned honorable mention all-Mountain West accolades. Heading into his senior season, Stephens was tabbed to the Dave Rimington Trophy Fall Watch List, as well as being named a preseason first-team all-Mountain West selection by Athlon Sports and Phil Steele.

Stephens has been a part of some memorable games at Utah State, including the Aggies’ 35-20 win at No. 18 BYU during the 2014 season and their dominating 52-26 home victory against No. 21 Boise State last season.

“Between the friendships you make and the memories you have on and off the field, there are just too many (memorable moments),” Stephens said. “The Boise State and BYU games both stick out. Those were great victories, not only for us as a team, but for this program. Those were some of the best moments I’ve had while I’ve been here, and hopefully there are more to come.”

“That I’m passionate,” Stephens said. “I love this game, I love this school and I love being an Aggie and what it’s meant to me. The opportunities it has created for me is ultimately what I would like to be remembered for.”

The son of Randy and Annette Stephens graduated from Utah State in the spring of 2016 with an interdisciplinary studies degree and is currently working on a second bachelor’s degree in sociology.

Character....Leadership...Intelligence...did I add hard worker???

Now your job FloridaRam....find one of these guys you DON'T like....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Joe SwinginMember:
Pro's: Won every award for college olinemen there is. Smart as a whip and member of MENSA. Massive lower body and can throw Aaron Donald-like DT's around like rag dolls. Country strong and projects to be starter for 20 years.
Cons: Can't find uniforms big enough to clothe the man, and he cusses a little.

I want this guy in the 3rd round...

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not really gonna lose sleep over our center situation. Just want one that fits Kromer's mold, familiar or will easily familiarize himself with McVay's system, has good durability, and is cohesive with the rest of our linemen. I judge an O-line based on how cohesive they are; if they can read each other based on subtleties and familiarity with blocking lanes, we'll see better pass protection and open running lanes. Last year's O-line was atrocious based on Boras's middle school offense.

jap

Legend
Kromer: "Damn it! If I can't find a damn suitable center, I'll make myself a player/coach and do the job my own damn self! So there!!!"

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
but I do want to point out that Roullier won't be a UDFA. He'll likely go in Round 4 or Round 5.
tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif
tenor.gif

I was gonna say, with gifs, don't rain on my parade, but I sorta got distracted....

That kid outta Wyoming looks pretty solid...I'd spend a pick on him...Andrews...and probably JJ Dielman...Oh, I'd also draft Toth...like you said....5th to 6th...I can't believe people are drafting centers in the 1st or 2nd rounds. Cross train one...Just like McVay says. LOLOLOL