Still Not Happy with the Cheap Groy Offer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I get that OldSchool... My point is the Rams have no starting center with proven snaps on their current roster and their young QB needs the highest pedigree at the position when it comes to starting as a rookie center..

This isn't a situation to say no worries a typical 4th, 5th, 6th or UDFA center that pans on several occasions will be fine.

This is a big hole on the O-LINE as of today with a little more than a month to go before the draft, high upside projects are not in the best interest for a 2nd year QB imo.. just saying.

If they draft a CENTER they need to go for it with one of the top 3 rated rookie centers. If they sign a veteran worth a spit ball you can save my post and bet me they will draft a center with their 2nd or 3rd round pick.. Maybe the 4th round if 2 of the top 3 centers have all fallen when they're on the clock in round 3 etc..
And don't forget ... there is still the 2nd Rd. of FA after the June 1st cuts. there WILL be some more "veteran options" out there. All is not lost. They have a plan. I'm sure if they felt they were "desperate", they would have made a bolder move by now.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
That Austin Stephens from Utah might be the Center the Rams are looking for.

Offensive Center traits Rams are looking for are: 6'1 to 6'3", 300+ lbs, lower center of gravity with great push and most importantly knows how to set the Offensive Line and calls out the protection. Center who's been playing consistently at that particular position so there's consistency. Austin Stephens may be that Rams new Center.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
No big deal.
If the Rams really wanted him they would trade a mid round at the Bills and boom he's a round.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

I wasn't aware of that.. My understanding was if you want to cut a player, for example, with a remaining amortized signing bonus of 2-Mil for the upcoming season, cutting him before June 1 costs you the entire 2-mil against the Cap, but cutting after June 1 allows you to spread the 2-mil over 2 seasons ; 1-mil this year, 1-mil next year.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

Thanks for the explanation. So, basically, I am understanding it correctly. It is just now, the NFL allows 2 players to be cut early but still carry the June 1st benefits.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
There is also guys who after the draft and mini camps, get let loose because of the #'s game. Happens every year. A team might luck into a draft steal and then no longer needs the services of a veteran on their team that is costing them more.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
What could possibly go wrong? I kid. Our OL isn't getting fixed this season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What could possibly go wrong? I kid. Our OL isn't getting fixed this season.

I think it can be. It's somewhat of a temporary fix because of Whitworth, but I think with the right Center, we could have a decent OL next year.

That Austin Stephens from Utah might be the Center the Rams are looking for.

Offensive Center traits Rams are looking for are: 6'1 to 6'3", 300+ lbs, lower center of gravity with great push and most importantly knows how to set the Offensive Line and calls out the protection. Center who's been playing consistently at that particular position so there's consistency. Austin Stephens may be that Rams new Center.

The Center doesn't call protections in McVay's scheme, and the Center the Rams just pursued (Groy) is 6'5" 320.

Gotta be honest, I've never heard of Austin Stephens.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
John Sullivan is in for a visit now and it seems we must look more desperate than I had hoped. Quite sure we'd like not to have to trade up or use #37 pick on a center. Too critical not to have a solid piece right in front of Goff. Lamp will go mid first round if just not a little bit later and he'd be my dream fill that won't happen. Elflein would have to be taken near the #37 pick if no help taken by then. Seems that is why we would consider someone who missed all or most of 2015 with a back injury in Sullivan. If true not asking a million more for Groy is looking like a real dumb move with as few filler options we are looking at while more and more articles are being written about our deficit. The NFL now knows how desperate we are for a center. Kromer will have his work cut out for him.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Let's just get one in the draft!!!?

We need to fill spots in 8 different positions. This draft with NO #1 pick will be too critical for this season. We need too many players we don't have right now. Snead better be up to his best scouting effort ever. We need to hit on at least 3. Maybe we still pull off a trade if we get lucky and being desperate.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We need to fill spots in 8 different positions. This draft with NO #1 pick will be too critical for this season. We need too many players we don't have right now. Snead better be up to his best scouting effort ever. We need to hit on at least 3. Maybe we still pull off a trade if we get lucky and being desperate.
Interesting, I'm curious what these 8 holes we have to fill with our 8 picks.

Airgoff

UDFA
Name
Airgoff
Your correct I myself think "oline" is main thing you know "protection" and "and making holes for Hurley")l

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Interesting, I'm curious what these 8 holes we have to fill with our 8 picks.

Well, "holes" might be a strong word, OldSchool. Sorta.

But, how about "need to upgrade if we're serious about being considered a playoff contender"?

In THAT context, we have many, many "holes", imo.

Let's see...

WR
C
TE
DE/Edge
LB (if Barron's not the answer)
CB (Webster is no lock to start)
CB (if Tru traded)
Nickel CB (Joyner a UFA next year)
FS
Backup RB is kinda iffy, tbh. Unless you're convinced otherwise. I'm not.

That's 8-10 positions, man. After the already added FA's, mind you. Ranging from screaming need to highly desirable.

Counting the FA's that have already been acquired, I could see as many as 10-12 new starters at respective positions vs the '16 starters at those same respective positions.

That's 6 on O, and 5-6 on D. Our opening day team will be almost unrecognizable vs last year.

Sooooo...

Let's don't wear blinders when assessing our needs if we want to be considered playoff worthy.

The good news is that those days of 4-12 or 7-9 BS are OVER. Lol.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't consider finding depth at several positions as "filling holes."
If you're extremely weak or unproven at a position and don't have a viable starter there that's a "hole."
Center, TE are holes.

JMO

Then of course you have to deal with these occasionally....
27208_1408383366637_2202823_n.jpg

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well, "holes" might be a strong word, OldSchool. Sorta.

But, how about "need to upgrade if we're serious about being considered a playoff contender"?

In THAT context, we have many, many "holes", imo.

Let's see...

WR
C
TE
DE/Edge
LB (if Barron's not the answer)
CB (Webster is no lock to start)
CB (if Tru traded)
Nickel CB (Joyner a UFA next year)
FS
Backup RB is kinda iffy, tbh. Unless you're convinced otherwise. I'm not.

That's 8-10 positions, man. After the already added FA's, mind you. Ranging from screaming need to highly desirable.

Counting the FA's that have already been acquired, I could see as many as 10-12 new starters at respective positions vs the '16 starters at those same respective positions.

That's 6 on O, and 5-6 on D. Our opening day team will be almost unrecognizable vs last year.

Sooooo...

Let's don't wear blinders when assessing our needs if we want to be considered playoff worthy.

The good news is that those days of 4-12 or 7-9 BS are OVER. Lol.

I'd be adding a NT/DT to your list, not only as a rotational guy, but if Brockers spends occasional time as a 3-4 DE, we'll need another player in the middle. jmo.