Steven A Smith: At 30 years of age, is Sean McVay really capable of leading the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's much much much more of a surprise when Smith is right.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Drivel like this is why I pretty much stopped watching tv. I tune in for the games and then as soon as it's over I'm back to the net. I like controlling my content without all the dick pill ads too,

ninedeuce

Rookie
Here's the thing about the narrative of "well how's McVay gonna get players older than him to buy in" bullshit as it relates to our team. There's only 1 guy on the current roster that is older that him and that guy believes dinosaurs never existed and mermaids do...

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
As far as McVays age, I'm not as concerned with how old he is as much as his lack of experience. Unlike most here I seem to be one of the only ones that is very concerned with him being the 'HOT' flavor of the year coordinator. I hope my concerns and clobbered by his performance the next few years.

I share your concerns, but in this case, I suspect it's already built in. If he can show growth and improvement YoY, he'll be given the time to grow into the job. Heck, they gave Fisher 4 3/4 years.....this time the target is closer to the grand opening in 2019.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Here's what I don't understand. From EVERY SINGLE former player: "this guy is amazing. He doesn't just know everything about the offense, but WHY. He helps ME get better which helps the offense get better and it feels like he's talking directly to ME, even in a crowded room."

Now... did ANYONE here is AGE brought up in that?

Cuz, I sure as crap didn't. And in the NFL, think about how valuable a coach is who takes the path that success lies in building up each player to their fullest potential... That means that even AFTER he's done with McVay, his career will be MUCH further enriched because of a better contract and FA.

It's not just a matter of "guys in a system" because guys who break down film can see guys actually doing the little things that the better players do as a function of paying attention to detail which is a function of being a good player AND of having good coaching.

Now...NORMALLY, this takes many years to cultivate.

However, WE Rams fans are about to be treated to a coaching prodigy.

I'm excited. NOT because the talking heads have anything to say about it, but because of what current and former players and current and former coaches have to say about him, his work ethic, his communication skills, his attention to detail...and his results.

I could understand the concerns if he was simply a creation of media hype.

But what's funny is that he's SO DAMNED GOOD that as noted on the MMQB, one of their guys called it that he'd be a HC last year. And in some ways, his hype has been tamped down BECAUSE of his age.

I mean, if he was even a DAY over 35, every NFL franchise with an opening and maybe the Saints would have spread their legs without caring for their reputation for him. Granted, that's crass and I'm sorry, but...it pretty much describes pretty accurately how wantonly all the teams would have pursued him.

No HC candidate since I've been paying attention to such things has come in with this level of positives and such a lack of negatives. Now...we'll see how it plays out.

But...man. The idea that older players won't buy in when it's been PLAYERS who are singing his praises the loudest? What???

Oh and for the Kyle Shanahan holdouts... now word is coming out that he's been coming off as "arrogant" in interviews. Not good. You think the Rams hadn't at least reached out to teams who'd already interviewed him?

Even if some don't want to believe...trust me and suspend your disbelief.

You're about to really, really enjoy this movie...