Steve Smith: Politics' Limited My Opportunities with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Steve Smith says 'politics' limited his opportunities with the Rams

By Ryan Van Bibber

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/7...itics-limited-his-opportunities-with-the-rams

The now retired receiver says he was healthy and playing well during his 2012 stint with the Rams. But something beyond his control kept him off the field.

The St. Louis Rams signed former Giants receiver and USC star Steve Smith in 2012 to bolster an inexperienced and thin group of wide receivers. For Smith, it was a second chance to get his career going again after injuries ended his time in New York. Smith says he never got that chance in St. Louis.

Smith claimed during an appearance on the Damon Amendola Show that he was fully healthy in 2012, but internal politics kept him off the field.

"People don't know, but my knee actually felt great. If the Rams would've played me more, I would've shown that I felt just as good as I did (when I was with) the Giants. To be honest, I felt like I was even a little bit better. I worked so hard and my knee felt great the whole season, and I just didn't really get the opportunity to play. They had their guy. That's how that goes. It's just unfortunate I didn't really reach my full potential."

Who was that guy?

Brandon Gibson led all receivers in snaps for 2012, with 794. Chris Givens was next on the list with 641 snaps, which he parlayed into a starting gig thanks to Danny Amendola's injury that year. Among all four Rams receivers with more than 200 snaps, Givens was the only one drafted by the Fisher/Snead regime. "Their guy?"

Brian Quick got more snaps than Smith that season, 187 to 182.

To go with Smith's claim to health, he did not miss a single practice through training camp. That's a pretty big deal for a guy with his history of knee troubles. You'll also recall that Smith was the starter, along with Amendola, when the preseason started. And like everyone on the Rams roster during OTAs and training camp, he too was creating lots of BUZZ prior to the season.

Tweet From: Jason La Canfora

Very strong buzz about WR Steve Smith here. Having another strong practice. Bradford excited to see Smith and Amendola both in slot
4:15 PM - 15 Aug 2012

(Something to keep in mind as you read about Kenny Britt's "resurgence").

Some of that buzz was coming from his own teammates, Smith claimed.

"(General manager Les Snead) even told me (halfway) through the season, ‘We see what you're doing in practice.' The DBs were like, ‘Man, I can't believe you're not playing.' That's just how the game is sometimes. The politics of the game is unfortunate, but I at least had a chance to see both sides of it, and I respect that's how it is."

Okay, now we have to ask the inevitable question: is he just complaining?

"I used to just hear about it from guys when I was younger and think, ‘Oh, you're just bitter.' But when you actually go through it, it's really tough and it's really humbling. I'm thankful for all the good years I had playing football, and I'm thankful for the years I had when it was tough, too - because you learn how to fight through and keep persevering. Good things can happen in other ways."

It's hard to know the truth when you're not privy to what's actually happening in the locker room and in the huddle. I suspect it lies somewhere in between, where it usually does. That season was the first year of a new coaching staff with a mostly young team ... they weren't going to realistically compete, so why not use 16 games to evaluate the young players like Givens.

On the other hand, Snead, Fisher and his coaches do not have a very good track record with receivers. It's still early, but they've opted to stick with a group of guys this year that hasn't proven anything yet. But there is still time, since most of the cast is young.

Smith's comments are frustrating because they sound like a bitter old veteran. (He retired last spring). They're also frustrating because the Rams have yet to find much success among their receivers. If they passed on a capable addition because of something unrelated to ability, it puts the front office and coaching staff's credibility and ability in question.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
It's true. It's all politics. The Rams discriminate against sucky players.

Call your Congressman now!

tahoe

Pro Bowler
if he was really that good he would have played, sounds like sour grapes to me

Irish

Starter
Bullshit. You were a bum playing in a bullshit system with bullshit talent around you.

Believe me, Steve, you weren't the only person disappointed in your 2012 season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can see some politics but if the guy was getting snaps in pre-season and then not in the regular season, I find it hard to believe that was the case over the fact that he was lacking the burst he once had. IIRR he also had a couple drops on some routine passes in pre-season and early in the season. If he was healthy that season, his legs should have been even fresher the next - so retiring makes perfect sense. o_O

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I'm not familiar with van Bibber, but to say "this regime hasn't had the greatest track record with WRs" is beyond idiotic.
Really? After a whole two years with 2 rookies and 3 second year guys? His inference that we should have kept Smith...:wtf:

F. Mulder

Starter
I didn't see anything from him to suggest he was anything special. Maybe more opportunities would have allowed for that but I have to think the team wouldn't punish him to prove a point at the expense of production at a critical position.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Does he get his full pension? What's his problem? I saw him play a HS game as a power forward, played with jordan farmar, he was a beast...wasn't surprised to see him as Eli's security blanket...Thought it was strange the Giants let him walk...I think he had that micro-fracture surgery on his knee, basically the cartilage is gone & they're trying to generate a new one with scar tissue...It was time for the rooks to play....Sad to see he has sour grapes....Good kid.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Steve Smith: ‘Rams Didn’t Give Me Opportunity To Play’
July 9, 2014 11:15 AM

http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2014/07/09/steve-smith-rams-didnt-give-me-opportunity-to-play/

Steve Smith won a national championship at USC, he won a Super Bowl with the New York Giants and he’s a former Pro Bowler.

He’s also, at 29, out of football.

After several productive seasons with the Giants – including 2009, when he set a franchise record with 107 catches – Smith suffered a series of knee injuries. He had a fairly unproductive season with Philadelphia in 2011 (11 catches for 124 yards and one touchdown) and another fairly unproductive season with St. Louis in 2012 (14 catches for 131 yards and zero touchdowns).

But the issue for Smith in St. Louis wasn’t his knee. Rather, it was the politics.

“People don’t know (this), but my knee actually felt great (that year),” Smith said on The Damon Amendolara Show. “If the Rams would’ve played me more, I would’ve shown that I felt just as good as I did (when I was with) the Giants. To be honest, I felt like I was even a little bit better. I worked so hard and my knee felt great the whole season, and I just didn’t really get the opportunity to play. They had their guy. That’s how that goes. It’s just unfortunate I didn’t really reach my full potential.”

Thus, for Smith, his production didn’t wane due to declining health or skill. It waned due to limited opportunities.

“Oh, no question,” he said. “(General manager Les Snead) even told me (halfway) through the season, ‘We see what you’re doing in practice.’ The DBs were like, ‘Man, I can’t believe you’re not playing.’ That’s just how the game is sometimes. The politics of the game is unfortunate, but I at least had a chance to see both sides of it, and I respect that’s how it is.”

Smith knows how he sounds – and he assured listeners it’s not like that.

“I used to just hear about it from guys when I was younger and think, ‘Oh, you’re just bitter,’” Smith said. “But when you actually go through it, it’s really tough and it’s really humbling. I’m thankful for all the good years I had playing football, and I’m thankful for the years I had when it was tough, too – because you learn how to fight through and keep persevering. Good things can happen in other ways.”

Good things certainly happened to Smith at USC, where he helped the Trojans to the national title in 2004. Smith had three touchdowns in a 55-19 championship game beatdown of Oklahoma.

Smith can’t believe that was 10 years ago.

“Time flies,” he said. “That was a great time in my life.”

It’s also hard to believe just how talented that team was. Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Lendale White. The offense was stacked.

“I don’t think you can necessarily understand how much talent was there because we didn’t know everybody was going to go on to be successful afterward,” Smith said. “But we knew we had something special.”

Unfortunately for USC, the title was later vacated by the NCAA, but that won’t be the legacy for Smith.

“We still know what we did,” he said. “We accomplished it, we went out there and did it, and nobody was taking performance-enhancing drugs or anything like that. It was just something that happened off the field. So it’s just kind of unfortunate for the kids that are younger that didn’t get a chance to see us. We might not be on the statistical page, but if you were around and you knew and you (saw) what we did, we accomplished a lot.”

Smith continued his big-game heroics in the NFL, making a huge catch on 3rd-and-10 in the Giants’ 17-14 win over the previously unbeaten Patriots.

“It was just fabulous,” Smith said of that season. “To go from competing at a high level collegiately to jumping right (to the pros) and being able to win, words can’t even explain how it feels. It was just a fantastic run in the playoffs for us.”

In the end, Smith is at peace with his NFL career, and he urged all players to make the most of their opportunities – wherever they are.

“Everybody’s not going to get the opportunity to play, but I know there’s a lot of guys on these rosters that can make plays when they’re given the chance,” Smith said. “You just got to wait for your turn.”

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
You know I don't like Van Bibber a whole lot, but his articles that have nothing to do with Sam Bradford are MUCH better.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
If he was so good and so healthy, why is he out of football as of last spring?

BD-TomCat

Rookie
boo Hoo Smith if you were so good and so healthy you could have proved it on another team after you left. yet a team with no WRs you couldn't see the field and then Retired. enjoy your retirement and stop eating sour grapes

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that an aging athlete coming off of a major injury might have had an inflated sense of just how good he still was.

Obviously the coaches were against him - that's why they signed him and gave him a roster spot for a year - so they could bury him. He'll know never to fuck with Fisher again!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
bullcrap. You were a bum playing in a bullcrap system with bullcrap talent around you.

Believe me, Steve, you weren't the only person disappointed in your 2012 season.
I don't know that I would call Fishers '1st Season' a " bullcrap system with bullcrap talent" Going 4-1-1 in the div. and 7-9 for the Season seemed pretty good to me!:rolleyes:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I had high hopes for him. One of his problems was he played the slot, where DA was entrenched.

Where is this clown now?