Stedman Bailey still trying to return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Good for him, I hope he makes it on another team. We need to move on and need new blood at the WR position.

I disagree. If he is cleared, and is able to play I would prefer him a Ram. New blood? So keep Spruce? It pains me that someone who got shot twice is willing to play "again" while Spruce is injured due to a splinter on his foot?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. If he is cleared, and is able to play I would prefer him a Ram. New blood? So keep Spruce? It pains me that someone who got shot twice is willing to play "again" while Spruce is injured due to a splinter on his foot?
not quite sure you can say spruce wasn't wiling to play

jap

Legend
not quite sure you can say spruce wasn't wiling to play

Agreed! Injuries can vary in intensity. Two players can suffer ACL tears. However, even if both were to rehabilitate with the same intensity and with the same doctors, trainers, etc., invariably one will rebound quicker (even much quicker) than the other.

I have had some injuries & ailments throughout my life, and, as long as I am properly diagnosed & treated, I can tell from the statements & reactions of my doctors that I tend to rebound much faster than most patients they have had. There is something to be said about the fact that I tend to follow doctors' instructions to the letter or to even go beyond them if reasonably possible, but overall I tend to regard it as a blessing that I recuperate quickly. I personally know others who have struggled with issues far longer than most, and that isn't nice in the least.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There is NO WAY, a guy shot in the head, goes through brain surgery, is gonna be cleared to play tackle football again.
If concussions are caused by head trauma...and he was shot twice...then had, what 4 hours of surgery, then he's probably had the equivalent of 4 or five concussions. And is more likely to suffer another one when he gets hit...
I'm Praying he makes it! IF he goes through all the protocols, and the Doctors say he's cleared, the Rams should give him a shot! You could be proven wrong on this one Champ!! JMHO

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm not a Doctor
LOL, most of us aren't.
Brain trauma...either by gunshot, or concussion, causes micro-tears/bleeding in an area of the brain. I'm assuming, just an assumption, that there is significantly more bleeding in a gunshot wound. Then to have surgery too, geez.

Brain surgery isn't like on star trek, they don't have a special instrument that miraculously closes cuts....It's pretty barbaric when you really think about it...

There is no way they can clear Sted after that... And I gets that no ones TOLD him that either...

I'm Praying he makes it! IF he goes through all the protocols, and the Doctors say he's cleared, the Rams should give him a shot! You could be proven wrong on this one Champ!! JMHO
Don't make me have to bet you head up dave!!!! LOLOL:ROFLMAO:

He should feel blessed and honored to be alive and given an opportunity to coach at the NFL level.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Honestly, if there was ZERO chance he'd get cleared, he would know it.

My guess is doctors have told him there's a small chance.
Doctors are always changing there minds! They base there diagnosis on past cases! And there is a lot about the Human Brain that is "Unknown"! The Doctors opinions can be changed! JMHO!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Don't make me have to bet you head up dave!!!! LOLOL:ROFLMAO:
OOOOH So Tempting!!(y):snicker::shades:

rotfl.PNG

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the doctors clear him he deserves a shot as much as anyone else

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...t-giving-up-his-dream-of-returning-to-the-nfl

Stedman Bailey not giving up his dream of returning to the NFL
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

i

Receiver Stedman Bailey, who suffered two gunshot wounds to the head in November of 2015, hopes to get on the field with the Rams again.
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN.com

IRVINE, Calif. -- Stedman Bailey leaned over the railing, watching the Los Angeles Rams conduct practice on Sunday afternoon, and a singular thought consumed him.

"I feel like I should be out there," he said. "I know for a fact that I can make the 53-man roster right now. Like, somebody's job would be in trouble. That's just how I feel. Not to be cocky or anything, but it's that hunger; the hunger that I have. I know what I can do."

Bailey showed what he could do at West Virginia, where he racked up 210 catches for 3,218 yards and 41 touchdowns in a span of three years. He was just starting to show it with the Rams, shining on special teams and totaling 843 receiving yards over the course of 38 games (eight of them starts).

But then Bailey suffered two gunshot wounds to the head on Nov. 24, 2015, while in the car with three family members in South Florida. He hasn't set foot on the field since.

He's lucky to be alive, but now he has other things on his mind.

"I miss the game so much," Bailey said. "I owe it to myself to give everything that I've got to get back on the field."

A third-round pick in 2013, Bailey is based in Moorpark, California, which neighbors Thousand Oaks, the site of the Rams' regular-season facility. He works out every day at a 24 Hour Fitness in nearby Simi Valley, and sometimes he has some help.

He has run routes for Giants quarterback Geno Smith, his teammate in high school and college. He has trained with Tavon Austin, his teammate in college and in the NFL. And he has gone up against new Rams cornerback and childhood friend Kayvon Webster. Steelers receiver Antonio Brown and Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodeshave trained with Bailey, too.

"I'm still pretty sharp," Bailey said, "and I'm pretty confident I can come out here and take somebody's spot.”

Despite his talent and resolve, Bailey is at the mercy of neurologists who fear that football will make him more susceptible to brain trauma. Bailey will have surgery again in two weeks -- his first since right after the accident -- and hopes to be cleared soon thereafter.

It's an out-patient procedure, Bailey says, one he should fully recover from in a couple of days, making it far less grueling than the operation that saved his life. Bailey struggles with the details, but says doctors will remove some of the metal plates from his head and install a protective layer around his skull.

"Very hopeful," said Bailey, who's also taking online classes to finish his communications degree at West Virginia. "You've already seen a miracle of me surviving what I've been through."

i

Stedman Bailey poses for a picture with a fan at Rams training camp.
Photo by Alden Gonzalez/ESPN.com

Bailey believes he has another miracle in him. It involves stepping onto the field for an NFL game, a desire many around him consider impossible or unsafe. He wants to do it for his son, Stedman Bailey Jr., who turns 5 in November and was standing by his side on Sunday. Stedman Jr. is old enough to understand now; old enough to savor the sight of his father jogging out of the tunnel on Sundays. Bailey thinks about that constantly.

"He motivates me a lot," Bailey said. "And just people around the world who may be going through a bunch of life issues, personal issues, that they may feel like, 'Oh, I'll never be able to get through that.' I want to be a person that can show the world that you can make it through anything with faith and just continuing to work hard."

Bailey spent a lot of his Sunday signing autographs and posing for pictures with Rams fans who rooted for him prior to his injury and are rooting even harder for him now. He hugged cornerback Trumaine Johnson, toyed with safety Maurice Alexander and said hello to special teams coordinator John Fassel, with whom he's still close.

Bailey wants to play anywhere, but really, he wants to play for the Rams -- an organization that can always use some help at receiver.

"I'm hoping they have a better year," Bailey said, "and I'm hoping I can make my way back out here and contribute."

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...t-giving-up-his-dream-of-returning-to-the-nfl

Stedman Bailey not giving up his dream of returning to the NFL
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

i

Receiver Stedman Bailey, who suffered two gunshot wounds to the head in November of 2015, hopes to get on the field with the Rams again.
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN.com

IRVINE, Calif. -- Stedman Bailey leaned over the railing, watching the Los Angeles Rams conduct practice on Sunday afternoon, and a singular thought consumed him.

"I feel like I should be out there," he said. "I know for a fact that I can make the 53-man roster right now. Like, somebody's job would be in trouble. That's just how I feel. Not to be cocky or anything, but it's that hunger; the hunger that I have. I know what I can do."

Bailey showed what he could do at West Virginia, where he racked up 210 catches for 3,218 yards and 41 touchdowns in a span of three years. He was just starting to show it with the Rams, shining on special teams and totaling 843 receiving yards over the course of 38 games (eight of them starts).

But then Bailey suffered two gunshot wounds to the head on Nov. 24, 2015, while in the car with three family members in South Florida. He hasn't set foot on the field since.

He's lucky to be alive, but now he has other things on his mind.

"I miss the game so much," Bailey said. "I owe it to myself to give everything that I've got to get back on the field."

A third-round pick in 2013, Bailey is based in Moorpark, California, which neighbors Thousand Oaks, the site of the Rams' regular-season facility. He works out every day at a 24 Hour Fitness in nearby Simi Valley, and sometimes he has some help.

He has run routes for Giants quarterback Geno Smith, his teammate in high school and college. He has trained with Tavon Austin, his teammate in college and in the NFL. And he has gone up against new Rams cornerback and childhood friend Kayvon Webster. Steelers receiver Antonio Brown and Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodeshave trained with Bailey, too.

"I'm still pretty sharp," Bailey said, "and I'm pretty confident I can come out here and take somebody's spot.”

Despite his talent and resolve, Bailey is at the mercy of neurologists who fear that football will make him more susceptible to brain trauma. Bailey will have surgery again in two weeks -- his first since right after the accident -- and hopes to be cleared soon thereafter.

It's an out-patient procedure, Bailey says, one he should fully recover from in a couple of days, making it far less grueling than the operation that saved his life. Bailey struggles with the details, but says doctors will remove some of the metal plates from his head and install a protective layer around his skull.

"Very hopeful," said Bailey, who's also taking online classes to finish his communications degree at West Virginia. "You've already seen a miracle of me surviving what I've been through."

i

Stedman Bailey poses for a picture with a fan at Rams training camp.
Photo by Alden Gonzalez/ESPN.com

Bailey believes he has another miracle in him. It involves stepping onto the field for an NFL game, a desire many around him consider impossible or unsafe. He wants to do it for his son, Stedman Bailey Jr., who turns 5 in November and was standing by his side on Sunday. Stedman Jr. is old enough to understand now; old enough to savor the sight of his father jogging out of the tunnel on Sundays. Bailey thinks about that constantly.

"He motivates me a lot," Bailey said. "And just people around the world who may be going through a bunch of life issues, personal issues, that they may feel like, 'Oh, I'll never be able to get through that.' I want to be a person that can show the world that you can make it through anything with faith and just continuing to work hard."

Bailey spent a lot of his Sunday signing autographs and posing for pictures with Rams fans who rooted for him prior to his injury and are rooting even harder for him now. He hugged cornerback Trumaine Johnson, toyed with safety Maurice Alexander and said hello to special teams coordinator John Fassel, with whom he's still close.

Bailey wants to play anywhere, but really, he wants to play for the Rams -- an organization that can always use some help at receiver.

"I'm hoping they have a better year," Bailey said, "and I'm hoping I can make my way back out here and contribute."

If Bailey never got shot he would definitely be where TA is at right now...I commend Steady B's efforts man, I wish he was still a Ram!:unsure:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I love Bailey, always have, but it will take a miracle for him to hit the field again. But I'm Praying he gets that MIRACLE!!

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
In my non medical expert opinion he's probably going to have a hard time getting cleared especially considering the possible guilt a doctor might feel if something tragic would happen to him after being cleared. With that said, it only takes one so I wouldnt be too surprised to see him find someone to clear him, but that's still only half the battle.

He would still need to find a team to give him a shot, and considering he has played in 2+ years and even then was a average starter at best, I don't think teams will be lining up at the door for him. Not to mention he would still then need to be cleared by the teams doctors too. Needless to say he's got a lot of hurdles to overcome, but I admire is perseverance and determination

nighttrain

Legend
Pro football has had many talented failures, to persevere in the face of adversity is to chase greatness

train

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
He would still need to find a team to give him a shot, and considering he has played in 2+ years and even then was a average starter at best, I don't think teams will be lining up at the door for him. Not to mention he would still then need to be cleared by the teams doctors too. Needless to say he's got a lot of hurdles to overcome, but I admire is perseverance and determination

With the little amount if time he had I would say he was better than average. Hell he was better than most people on the roster when he started, even with the mediocre coaching staff.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There is NO WAY, a guy shot in the head, goes through brain surgery, is gonna be cleared to play tackle football again.
If concussions are caused by head trauma...and he was shot twice...then had, what 4 hours of surgery, then he's probably had the equivalent of 4 or five concussions. And is more likely to suffer another one when he gets hit...

Yeah, I have had zero expectations of him ever playing again.

Honestly, if there was ZERO chance he'd get cleared, he would know it.

I've said it before..I really think he will be back.

The recovery may have little to no lingering issues you guys. It may be something that was just a matter of time to return to normal.

Like serious back surgeries, time is sometimes the key to full recovery and this may just be a little longer. Not to mention we don't know how mach damage was done to his brain, it may have been very little. And in a place not important. There are parts of the brain that aren't used much.

I hope he comes back and someday catches a TD pass that wins the SB for the Rams. I like stories like that!

Ram65

Legend
He can't really get hurt training and staying in shape. It's good he has the goal to get back realist or not. He will be 27 in Nov. It would be wild if he got a shot and made a NFL team.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
The recovery may have little to no lingering issues you guys. It may be something that was just a matter of time to return to normal.

Like serious back surgeries, time is sometimes the key to full recovery and this may just be a little longer. Not to mention we don't know how mach damage was done to his brain, it may have been very little. And in a place not important. There are parts of the brain that aren't used much.

I hope he comes back and someday catches a TD pass that wins the SB for the Rams. I like stories like that!
Very true. The bullets may not have done anything to affect his cranial in a threatening matter, he may of got really lucky in that sense. The guys who have been in the league long and constant hits to the head are probably in worse shape than steady b. I have a feeling once that argument holds water he will be back.