Stay or Go, the Rams Can’t Afford to Keep Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Bernie's a master of piling on. So, yeah, I didn't read much of it.

I'll put it this way with Fish: his problem is his OC hires plain and simple. It all starts there. I think he could win if he could actually hire a good OC.

For the sake of argument if he would hire Martz with that expertise of balance at both coordinator positions this team would look like the Cardinals immediately. Martz would also be instrumental to bringing in the right guy at QB, he would maximize the talent he's got and we'd see Gurley running those TE type routes and causing matchup problems where Cook has been dropping passes for the past 3 years. We'd have Tavon goin nuts, and whoever they draft in a very deep WR draft would know WTF he is doing immediately with Martz in charge.

The problem is OC selection. That has always been Fisher's downfall and remains so. If he sticks around for year number 5 and hires a good OC this team will win. Talent is there, the dysfunction is in the utilization.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Agree with most of Bernie here...Except..except, if we give Gurley 60 touches the last 2 games, is that somehow better? I'd shut TG down, see if these other guys can play....Especially Tre Mason.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I hope we can hire Hue Jackson by the end of the season. From what I heard, he was willing to keep Jim Schwartz if he got the Bills HC gig and I'm sure he'll won't mind hiring him as our DC. That should help maintain continuity while we rebuild this offense from the bottom up.

While a 4-3 scheme, Schwartz and Williams didn't really have the same defense philosophy. At least not at Tennessee.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
For all of the resources that have been put into it, this defense is disappointing! They never just take over a game like great defenses do. That said, the offense is absolutely pathetic and should get the HC fired on its merits alone.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
While a 4-3 scheme, Schwartz and Williams didn't really have the same defense philosophy. At least not at Tennessee.

True, however, the transition won't be major, not sure what defense somebody like Hue Jackson would embrace, he has a history of a 3-4 ran it at Oakland and that's what they run in Cincinnati.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch joined The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Monday to discuss the Rams’ 27-3 loss to the Arizona Cardinals Sunday.

Listen to JT Talk Rams

-------------

How safe is GM Les Snead's job?

"I would think he'd be in jeopardy as well. There's enough blame to go around. They've had four offseasons to build the roster they wanted. Tons of draft picks. And say what you will about Kroenke, he's allowed them to spend to the salary cap. They haven't been cheap. It's their players, this is their roster and this is what we're getting."

What's the likelihood in your opinion of Fisher and Snead returning next year?

"I'm going to say...I'll say it's 50/50 right now. It looks so miserable. I don't think Stan Kroenke is spending much time worrying about the on-the-field product. You would think he'd have to be aware. I'll say 50/50 for both."

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Snead can do absolutely nothing about injuries. At least Fisher has the chance to coach the next guy up.

They have completely pissed away the QB position and O-line, though. So I, myself, am 50-50 on them leaving.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I'd put it at 90/10 they stay, mainly because firing them would cost money, and at the end of the day that's more important than having a winning sports team.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I'd definitely hold onto Snead if at all possible. Our drafting has generally been quite good under his watch, as has been our trading.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Jim's guess is as good as anyone else's. At this point, I'm 50/50 in terms of whether I want Fisher to stay for next year. I change my mind on a daily basis. Today I think he should stay. We'll see how I feel on Sunday evening.

As far as whether I think he will stay, that's up to Enos so I'm fairly sure he'll be around next season.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said it before and I'll say it again regarding Snead.

I just can't evaluate him because I don't know how much of a hand he actually had in building this roster.

Fisher has always had final say.

Could Snead have said things like:
"Jeff, Pead is a reach... he isn't pro ready... he's a project... we need to build this team with pro-ready players from programs that set us up for quick production".
"Jeff, Quick is a reach... he isn't pro ready... he's a project... we need to build this team with pro-ready players from programs that set us up for quick production".
"Jeff, Robinson is a reach... he isn't pro ready... he's a project... we need to build this team with pro-ready players from programs that set us up for quick production".
"Jeff, Austin is a reach... he isn't pro ready... he's a project... we need to build this team with pro-ready players from programs that set us up for quick production".
"Jeff, we're overpaying for Cook... maybe we should see what else is out there.
"Jeff, it's our third year, the defense is set... let's really concentrate on accumulating pro-ready kids and shoring up the offense with some well thought out vets (who aren't on the Tenn payroll).
"Jeff, we just don't need Fairley and Ayers... we're OK on defense. They're a luxury now. Let's go offense more!".

I dunno... none of us do... but, we do know that Fisher had final say on all personnel moves.

So, not sure what to think of Snead...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd definitely hold onto Snead if at all possible. Our drafting has generally been quite good under his watch, as has been our trading.
I disagree with this... but I'm not sure how much is on Snead.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have been a very happy with what Snead has done overall. I am no longer in this position.After four drafts with more draft high value draft picks than all others.........I see some major mistakes. Many have fell by the wayside and many wasted. Injuries killed the 2015 draft class not Snead fault but still.

Snead has some good work behind him i.e. Barron, Ogletree, EJ Gaines, Mc Donald to name a few but his list of misses is much bigger now. Snead has done well with UDFAs. The QB,WR And OL units are in total FAIL MODE.

I would be OK with Snead remaining but the coaches have failed more and more often.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think on balance, Snead's body of work is firmly on the positive side of the ledger. He hasn't been perfect, but at the same time, he's done some significant good (Donald, Gurley). He's been great at negotiating trades, and it always seems we end up getting more from the trades than anyone thinks we should.

On the flip side, he's not the one that caused all the OL injuries, or caused Bradford to tear his ACL two years in a row. He's not the one that thought it was a great idea to throw a bubble screen to Quick (like they did once in the MINN game) but to never run him and Britt on slants.

And to the degree he has made personnel mistakes, it's mostly because he's tried to work with the HC and conform to his philosophy. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it can be a lot worse when the GM and the HC are not on the same page. The fact that he worked with Fisher is a good sign for a prospective new HC since he will know that he'll get his say on personnel matter and will have a GM willing to work with him.

While I'm on the fence about Fisher's future, I'm not with Snead. He's a keeper.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This is like the weather man saying that there's a 50-50 chance of rain today.... he doesn't know what the hell is going to happen, but he's never wrong. Great work if you can get it.