Stay or Go, the Rams Can’t Afford to Keep Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except that Carroll was not let go because of record. He was let go due to conflict of theory - at least according to an interview of Kraft.
Iirc the team was sliding and Carroll was deemed too much of a "players coach" and not a disciplinarian.....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Iirc the team was sliding and Carroll was deemed too much of a "players coach" and not a disciplinarian.....
I don't recall the reason other than the article said Kraft didn't let him go due to performance. Even at that, you never really know. How many times have we heard the ole "wanted to go in a different direction" excuse. In the article Kraft was quoted as saying something like that it was a very tough decision as he viewed Carroll as a very good coach but they just had philosophical differences.

But I'm not just talking about stability in coaching here. I'm talking about the philosophy of building the team mainly through the draft, building whole units on the team, and not spending a whole lot of money on outside FA contracts.

Do I wish we would have built the O-line as one of the units they completed first? You bet. Do I think this O-line has the pieces now in place to become a complete unit? Yes. Bummer the pieces we tried in the interim didn't work out like we had hoped.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If the Rams expect to go forward with Rob Boras as OC (unless the offense really takes off these last few games like the Lions O has under Jim Bob Cooter) and keep the defense intact and have no money left for improving the offense....then yeah. Fisher has to go because nothing will have materially changed.

If, however, the Rams do a Vermeil-type intervention and require Fisher to hire a GW level Offensive guru for the offense with the same level of autonomy and free up resources such that the offense can improve (yeah, that will probably mean Chris Long is gone or kept on a dramatically reduced/restructured deal), then I'd keep him for another season, his last season of his contract.
+1

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I'm just gonna smell the roses and say Fisher is 100% safe. I'll be shocked if he's fired. Stan is very pleased, I'm sure.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do I think this O-line has the pieces now in place to become a complete unit? Yes.
I just can't be that confident in this group... too inexperienced, too injury-prone (Saffold, now Brown?)... when they did play as a unit, they weren't anything special.

I'm not saying the pieces are not in place... but I can't go as far as to say they are.

Like too many things Rams these days, we really don't know.

Maddening.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
when they did play as a unit, they weren't anything special.
They were just ok if you look at them compared to other lines. They were pretty good when you view them while considering their age and experience. To think these players won't get better with a year under their belts is selling them short IMO. I understand the skepticism though. After all, you ARE in the show me state. :cool:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand the skepticism though. After all, you ARE in the show me state. :cool:
Actually, I'm not in that state. I'm just a Rams fan that's been exposed to the highs and lows of the Jeff Fisher Rams coaching age. ;)

They were just ok if you look at them compared to other lines. They were pretty good when you view them while considering their age and experience. To think these players won't get better with a year under their belts is selling them short IMO.
I guess all I'm trying to say is it's such a small sample size with these new guys, it's impossible to say anything definitive (yet).

It wasn't lost on me how vague you were in your prediction of them...;)
Do I think this O-line has the pieces now in place to become a complete unit?
I've seen some really crappy "complete" Olines in my day... :LOL:

One thing's for certain... we're not going to get the answer to how well this unit can perform on a consistent basis (as a complete unit) until next year.