Stats show that the Rams are doing things the hard way.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Here are some Rams team offensive stats (and league rankings) that are encouraging:

Yards/Drive: 35.7 (7th)
Time/Drive: 3:06 (4th)
Points/Drive: 2.22 (9th)\
Scoring Drive %: 45.1 (6th)

So why are the Rams not scoring more? They rank 15th with 22.4 points/game.

My answer: they’re doing it the hard way. The average starting point of a Rams drive this year is the 25.5 yard line. That ranks 30th in the NFL.

Why? Well, there are some clear reasons:

First, the Rams are tied for having the second fewest forced turnovers in the NFL with only 3. They are also 31st in the NFL in punt return average (5.1 yards/return) and kickoff return average (14.7 yards/return). And, as a result, the Rams have not started a single drive on the opponent’s side of the 50 yard line all year.

Add to that the fact that, while the Rams have had a good number of “chunk plays” in the passing game, they’ve only had two runs of 20 yards or more (22 by Tutu Atwell and 20 by Kyren Williams), and have not had a scoring play of over 22 yards.

The Rams are doing things the hard way.

There’s some hope here, though…

If the Rams can force some turnovers and get some short scoring drives (it seems like it is only a matter of time before that happens), that could allow the Rams to score more easily, and more total points. I also expect to see the Rams break some longer scoring plays, particularly with Cooper Kupp back in the fold.

Let’s see some easy scoring drives!

Tano

Legend
Here are some Rams team offensive stats (and league rankings) that are encouraging:

My answer: they’re doing it the hard way. The average starting point of a Rams drive this year is the 25.5 yard line. That ranks 30th in the NFL.

First, the Rams are tied for having the second fewest forced turnovers in the NFL with only 3. They are also 31st in the NFL in punt return average (5.1 yards/return) and kickoff return average (14.7 yards/return). And, as a result, the Rams have not started a single drive on the opponent’s side of the 50 yard line all year.

Add to that the fact that, while the Rams have had a good number of “chunk plays” in the passing game, they’ve only had two runs of 20 yards or more (22 by Tutu Atwell and 20 by Kyren Williams), and have not had a scoring play of over 22 yards.

If the Rams can force some turnovers and get some short scoring drives (it seems like it is only a matter of time before that happens), that could allow the Rams to score more easily, and more total points. I also expect to see the Rams break some longer scoring plays, particularly with Cooper Kupp back in the fold.

We need a better pass rush to force more turnovers

Hoecht is doing an absolute terrible job rushing the passer or covering the TE coming out.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

Great post.

I wonder whether we will acquire a starting caliber Edge before the deadline. That would go a long way.

The other no brainer is a proper return guy! We couldn’t address every position of need but that one is crying out as well

Those two additions, which needn’t be particularly expensive, would help a lot

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoecht is doing an absolute terrible job rushing the passer or covering the TE coming out.
I agree. You could live with the occasional lapses if he was consistently applying pressure. He’s not (0.5 sacks, 1 QB hit in five games).

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
R

Great post.

I wonder whether we will acquire a starting caliber Edge before the deadline. That would go a long way.

The other no brainer is a proper return guy! We couldn’t address every position of need but that one is crying out as well

Those two additions, which needn’t be particularly expensive, would help a lot

Trading for an Edge before the deadline would make a world of difference, but I'm not holding my breathe.

Rams should drop Trammell from return duties and let Xavier Smith take over, he returned for Florida A&M in college.

MaxQ28

Rookie
AvengerRam, you always seem to have well thought-out posts. With that said. I think a huge contributing factor to them doing it the hard way is the lack of halftime adjustments.

Rams 2nd half scoring so far:

Seattle: 23 (Most complete game of the year so far)
SF: 6
Bengals: 10
Colts: 3 (6 in OT)
Eagles: 0

The common problem with all of the poor second half performances (IMO) is the lack of dedication to the run game. I also understand that these are some tough opponents, but if you are going to win in this league you gotta play with the big dogs.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
AvengerRam, you always seem to have well thought-out posts. With that said. I think a huge contributing factor to them doing it the hard way is the lack of halftime adjustments.

The common problem with all of these poor second half performances (IMO) is the lack of dedication to the run game. I also understand that these are some tough opponents, but if you are going to win in this league you gotta play with the big dogs.
I agree with all that. Those points are complimentary to my observations.

In the long run (no pun intended) we’re also going to need a RB with the speed to make big, game changing, runs.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Thing is - I think Hoecht is a good player - he is just out of position
Perhaps he’d be better suited back on the DL.

At the edge position, we saw some snaps for Zach VanValkenburg (17) and Ochaun Mathis (10) this week. We’ll see if they increase.

Clearly, the lack of pressure is driving the low takeaway issue.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
We need to find some impact

That would shift the dial in these close games

To summarise the discussion:

A RB to replace Akers speed and potential for the big play
An Edge to replace Hoecht who is clearly out of position
A returner who can shift the field position

Even one of three would make an impact yet all three seem doable by the trade deadline

Can’t we find a returner on another teams practice squad if not our own?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

The common problem with all of the poor second half performances (IMO) is the lack of dedication to the run game. I also understand that these are some tough opponents, but if you are going to win in this league you gotta play with the big dogs.
The last 3 games Stafford was under a lot more pressure in the second half than the first half. My guess is, DC's know the Rams aren't very good at handling a heavier pass rush. Even when healthy our line may not even be average. Worse when the injuries hit.

MaxQ28

Rookie
The last 3 games Stafford was under a lot more pressure in the second half than the first half. My guess is, DC's know the Rams aren't very good at handling a heavier pass rush. Even when healthy our line may not even be average. Worse when the injuries hit.
Agreed. All the more reason to stay committed to the run.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Afford me a more positive perspective please. Let's consider our opening opponents and the youth of this squad primarily. We knew they were getting thrown in the pool right away, but they swam quite capably. They have played some of the best teams and proved they could win against any of them.
Next, let's look at the remaining opponents. I think it's reasonable to expect at least a 20% increase in performance across the board. That puts the Rams in the playoffs where the healthiest team usually wins. Having low mileaged youth might be a benefit? Will see...

Last edited:

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Add holding the edge to the list.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They know the Rams will lose 2 starters to injury by half time.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I always thought the starting FP sucked for years. Not just with this iteration of the defense.

Btw 22 ppg is 15th? Really?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I always thought the starting FP sucked for years. Not just with this iteration of the defense.

Btw 22 ppg is 15th? Really?
Previous 3 years average starting point of drives:

2022: 26.6
2021: 28.0
2020: 27.9

Not great, but significantly better than this year’s 25.5.

And, yes… 22.4 ppg ranks 15th (which is a lot better than last year’s 18.1/tied for 26th).

TexasRam

Legend

Nice post.

A couple nice data points that truly affect another data point.

Kinda rough situation we are in with coaching philosophy’s mixed with offensive personnell.