Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Perkins as backup makes a lot of sense. Two years of team control starting next season, and he's shown enough grasp of the offense and upside that McVay kept him on a Super Bowl level roster as QB3.

So I agree this offseason the Rams will cut Wolford to allow him to go find a job elsewhere and Perkins will be the guy. Then you give him heavy work in preseason as well as a dev QB if one they like falls to them mid to late in the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think there are benefits to developing a guy behind Stafford. First, if Matt does go down, our season isn't ruined. Second, if the young QB shows well and Matt continues to dominate, we can flip the QB for picks. Third, if Matt decides to retire unexpectedly in the next few years, we might have ourselves an heir apparent and won't have to scramble to find a QB.

I respect your opinion, but I don't see Perkins having starting QB upside and he's not nearly the QB that Kyler Murray is.
I’ve already seen media coverage on Coen. A lot of these guys like Brugler talk to scouts for info. Coen is being consider as someone with a lot of untapped potential, which could cause a QB needy team to use a third or higher pick on him. It’s tough to find 6th round Brady types that are smart enough to overcome physical limitations.

I agree it would be great to go the Kevin Kolb or Matt Flynn or Matt Flynn route. Develop and trade for a second round pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Perkins as backup makes a lot of sense. Two years of team control starting next season, and he's shown enough grasp of the offense and upside that McVay kept him on a Super Bowl level roster as QB3.

So I agree this offseason the Rams will cut Wolford to allow him to go find a job elsewhere and Perkins will be the guy. Then you give him heavy work in preseason as well as a dev QB if one they like falls to them mid to late in the draft.
Teams were all over Perkins, who the Rams signed as a developmental QB. That’s why he had to be added. If the Rams find another then they’ll have to carry three QBs on the roster again.

My guess is that they don’t address QB this year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don’t see the value in Perkins, yeah he did ok in preseason this year but not great even against second and third level opponents. He doesn’t have a big arm and that isn’t something that changes at his age. If someone else wants him, trade him.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Don't sleep on Perkins
Season 3 Sleeping GIF by The Simpsons

nighttrain

Legend
I think there are benefits to developing a guy behind Stafford. First, if Matt does go down, our season isn't ruined. Second, if the young QB shows well and Matt continues to dominate, we can flip the QB for picks. Third, if Matt decides to retire unexpectedly in the next few years, we might have ourselves an heir apparent and won't have to scramble to find a QB.

I respect your opinion, but I don't see Perkins having starting QB upside and he's not nearly the QB that Kyler Murray is.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ve already seen media coverage on Coen. A lot of these guys like Brugler talk to scouts for info. Coen is being consider as someone with a lot of untapped potential, which could cause a QB needy team to use a third or higher pick on him. It’s tough to find 6th round Brady types that are smart enough to overcome physical limitations.

I agree it would be great to go the Kevin Kolb or Matt Flynn or Matt Flynn route. Develop and trade for a second round pick.
3rd round? Wow. I was hoping we could snag him in the late 4th or 5th. Looks like I'll have to dig up some E.J. Perry tape.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I’ve been unimpressed with the way the Rams address the backup QB. Perkins nor Wolford doesn’t have the arm. It just seems like McVay is resigned to go with the Seneca Wallace change of pace backup. A guy that can run and bring another dimension.

Is that because they don’t want to waste picks on QBs that they don’t think are potential starting material? Maybe they spot a guy they think is a hidden gem but that position is so heavily scouted. It would be tough to uncover a starter in rounds 5-6-7
I am guessing when they need a QB they will trade a bunch of picks to get a rookie they really like abd think they can develop or they go get another vet who is wasting away on a bad team somewhere.

Who knows, in 5 yrs maybe a guy like Davis Mills really develops & plays well, but is stuck in a Texan's hellscape. A situation like that they could come in and scoop him up.

So as long as McVay is here they will have a good QB, even if it's a Goff level type guy... And who knows, as I mentioned before, maybe even Goff returns when he is in his 30's as a stop gap.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As McVay said it wasn't about winning the trade it was about winning the Super Bowl! And they did it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
FUCK YES HE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a fucking hero. Seriously... completely redefined his career in one season.

Congrats to him and kudos to the Rams for aiming high.

Status
Not open for further replies.