Stacy Getting Some Love From Rotoworld

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By Patrick Daugherty6 hours agoRotoworld

As we enter the season’s stretch run, just nine running backs are averaging more weekly fantasy points than Zac Stacy. Alfred Morris, Chris Johnson and Stevan Ridley are a few of the names behind Stacy. The numbers are even more impressive when you quarantine them to the past five five weeks, where Stacy’s weekly 17.6 points are behind only Matt Forte and CJ?K. Since taking over as the Rams’ lead back in Week 5, Stacy is averaging 21 carries for 88.8 yards, and has four total touchdowns in six games.

How did we get here?

It wasn’t easy. Despite being a favorite of the draftnik community, Stacy was No. 4 on the depth chart by Week 2. A healthy scratch for Weeks 2 and 3, Stacy finished the first month of his NFL career with exactly one carry. But as Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead and Benny Cunningham all struggled, the Rams found themselves in a “well, why not?” situation by Week 5. When Sam Bradford went down in Week 7, Stacy was elevated from “de facto back” to “focal point of the offense.” Since Bradford’s injury, Stacy has taken the rock 79 times for 323 yards and two scores in three games. He’s averaged “just” 4.1 yards per carry since taking the keys to the car from Bradford, but those numbers are skewed by the Rams’ 38-8 Week 10 rout of the Colts. With St. Louis racing out to a 21-0 lead just four minutes into the second quarter, Stacy was slammed into a brick wall in predictable running situations 20 times over the game’s final 41 minutes.

Why has Stacy had so much success? Because he carries himself like a runner who expects it. Stacy is extremely decisive, typically making his first cut before the hole is even opened, and then hitting it as soon as it does. Stacy is not the speediest guy — he doesn’t look as fast as even his 4.55 40-yard dash would suggest — but makes up for it with lightning quick feet. Stacy knows he can’t simply explode into the second level of the defense, so instead he ping pongs his way into it with a series of quick cuts. As we’ve established, Stacy lacks the home run speed to pull away from the second level — his longest run this season is all of 32 yards — but he runs with a toughness and forward lean befitting of his 5-foot-8, 216-pound frame. He uses his size and exceptional balance to create missed tackles, 22 in six games by Pro Football Focus’ count. That’s 3.6 per game, which is on par with LeSean McCoy (3.6) and Alfred Morris (3.4).

Now Stacy gets a Bears defense that’s been getting positively eaten alive by opposing running backs over its past seven games, silver plattering 1,053 yards (150 per game) and 10 touchdowns. This is a unit that made Ray Rice look like Ray Rice last weekend. It all adds up to a No. 4 Week 12 ranking for a player who didn’t even have a job when the Bears’ cold streak began.

In the end, Stacy is unlikely to emerge as one of the league’s elite runners. That’s typically the case for backs who lack truly special qualities. But Stacy is a smart, decisive runner who knows his limitations. His run of success has been unexpected, but hardly a fluke. He’s a player who can produce in good and bad matchups alike, and has a dream one for Week 12.

nighttrain

Legend
reminds me of when Dick Bass was our feature back, same tools & results so far. Good luck Zac
train

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
the thing that pisses me off is I've been saying we needed to start this kid since we drafted him before the season started, if we did that, we probably wouldn't be in the situation we are now if we had his running presence earlier. :mad:

Hopefully he stays healthy and he can continue this next season when Bradford is back.

RamzFanz

Damnit
"Stacy is extremely decisive, typically making his first cut before the hole is even opened, and then hitting it as soon as it does."

Exactly what I've been saying since we drafted him. He has an eye for developing holes and either squirts or pounds through them. His low stature makes him hard to see so he surprises LB's.

His results are very much like SJ39. Solid running but don't expect the long runs because of lack of top end speed. If they get DR back in action and use him intelligently, this is a solid corp.

Barring multiple injuries, Pead may never start for STL again as a RB.

A55VA6

Legend
Stacy is exactly what I like in a RB. Decisive, powerful, shifty. Hope this guys plays for us for a long time. I think he's the NFL's leading rusher since he began starting.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
the thing that pisses me off is I've been saying we needed to start this kid since we drafted him before the season started, if we did that, we probably wouldn't be in the situation we are now if we had his running presence earlier. :mad:

Hopefully he stays healthy and he can continue this next season when Bradford is back.

I don't get being "pissed" IMO Stacy started as soon as he should have, ya gotta earn your spot on this team which IMO is as it should be

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I don't get being "pissed" IMO Stacy started as soon as he should have, ya gotta earn your spot on this team which IMO is as it should be

Stacy has had a higher YPC with his one touch in week one then all of our RB's, he should have been given more opportunity's sooner. not when we already have a losing record, its not like we had a AP in front of him to justify it. we had a 3 YPC DR and a 3 YPC Pead.... what pisses me off is if average people as myself can see this, why cant our staff?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Stacy has had a higher YPC with his one touch in week one then all of our RB's, he should have been given more opportunity's sooner. not when we already have a losing record, its not like we had a AP in front of him to justify it. we had a 3 YPC DR and a 3 YPC Pead.... what pisses me off is if average people as myself can see this, why cant our staff?
Again one play doesn't earn a starting spot, KNOWING the playbook , blocking assignments vs. going into the pattern all things the coaches not fans had to answer for becoming FUBAR.
I agree he's the best back we have currently ,but DR had earned the starting role and Zac hadn't according to the coaching staff, I'm just glad we moved up to get him and am looking forward instead of second guessing the coaches .
FWIW Zac could well have missed a block in the early going that would have eventuated in Bradford going out earlier in the season.
I think a lot of our defensive woes early were caused by playing rookies because we were so bereft of talent at their position , we had a competent pro at RB who did more than carry the ball.
In addition we were pressing to get another rookie acclimated on offense a new TE,new LT , IMO Stacy himself has been served well by having to wait to start ,I'd be very surprised if he isn't far more comfortable than he'd have been if he'd began the season as the starter.
I like how we worked him in

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Again one play doesn't earn a starting spot, KNOWING the playbook , blocking assignments vs. going into the pattern all things the coaches not fans had to answer for becoming FUBAR.
I agree he's the best back we have currently ,but DR had earned the starting role and Zac hadn't according to the coaching staff, I'm just glad we moved up to get him and am looking forward instead of second guessing the coaches .
FWIW Zac could well have missed a block in the early going that would have eventuated in Bradford going out earlier in the season.
I think a lot of our defensive woes early were caused by playing rookies because we were so bereft of talent at their position , we had a competent pro at RB who did more than carry the ball.
In addition we were pressing to get another rookie acclimated on offense a new TE,new LT , IMO Stacy himself has been served well by having to wait to start ,I'd be very surprised if he isn't far more comfortable than he'd have been if he'd began the season as the starter.
I like how we worked him in

DR was only successful last year because we had SJ in front of him, he is a CHANGE OF PACE back. I understand "ONE PLAY" doesn't earn a starting spot but he was not used for 4 weeks, that's unacceptable when your "Starter that EARNED the spot" is getting 16 yards and averaging 1 YPC in games and we still start him the following week.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
DR was only successful last year because we had SJ in front of him, he is a CHANGE OF PACE back. I understand "ONE PLAY" doesn't earn a starting spot but he was not used for 4 weeks, that's unacceptable when your "Starter that EARNED the spot" is getting 16 yards and averaging 1 YPC in games and we still start him the following week.

well man I tried to assuage your anger, but I can see you are pretty adamant, do we need to fire Fisher over this ?or does it just go in the hopper for future reference ?:confused:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree with LAR in that they wanted to run up the middle and Stacy or Cunningham were the obvious choice for that game 1. Of course, if they weren't ready, they weren't ready. I'm still baffled about using DR up the middle when he's never had any success at that. At the very least, on obvious short yardage up the middle runs, they could have used ZS earlier.

Hind sight. Still, this should be a fun game. Two wins in a row against playoff likely teams would be huge. If they don't use DR on the edge (if he's healthy) or don't get TA the ball in the open field, AND they lose, I'm going to blow a gasket.

IF they do as I say for once, I will guarantee a win. Someone tweet Fish, I need to have a talk with him.

jap

Legend

Some of you seem to have forgotten that Zac was battling nagging injuries throughout the pre-season. This stunted his early development since it reduced his playing time in pre-season games and practice. Plus, as a rookie trying to learn his first NFL playbook he had two RB's with a year's experience with that playbook ahead of him.

Would Zac have been as impressive in Week One playing hurt and still learning plays as he was in Week Five?

I do not even understand this general feeling some had early on that this team should have been ready to rock & roll from Week One---not with so many young players was
that ever a reasonable expectation!!!

I though Sam needed time to build a game day rapport with his young skill players and did not expect this offense to really start flourishing until about halfway through the season. Unfortunately, Sam went down just as Zac was getting his game day bearings. Even with Kellen at the helm, there is still an outside chance for making some serious noise in the playoff picture.

As things stand now, we have a young RB mustang who plays like a thoroughbred. Our high priced FA TE acquisition is starting to address his non-blocking issues. Our other TE's have shown themselves to be solid players who can be effective on game days. Our ultra-talented #8 overall selection gave an extra loud shout out to the NFL world just before the bye.

What more do you want?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Some of you seem to have forgotten that Zac was battling nagging injuries throughout the pre-season. This stunted his early development since it reduced his playing time in pre-season games and practice. Plus, as a rookie trying to learn his first NFL playbook he had two RB's with a year's experience with that playbook ahead of him.

Would Zac have been as impressive in Week One playing hurt and still learning plays as he was in Week Five?

I do not even understand this general feeling some had early on that this team should have been ready to rock & roll from Week One---not with so many young players was
that ever a reasonable expectation!!!

I though Sam needed time to build a game day rapport with his young skill players and did not expect this offense to really start flourishing until about halfway through the season. Unfortunately, Sam went down just as Zac was getting his game day bearings. Even with Kellen at the helm, there is still an outside chance for making some serious noise in the playoff picture.

As things stand now, we have a young RB mustang who plays like a thoroughbred. Our high priced FA TE acquisition is starting to address his non-blocking issues. Our other TE's have shown themselves to be solid players who can be effective on game days. Our ultra-talented #8 overall selection gave an extra loud shout out to the NFL world just before the bye.

What more do you want?

when was I talking about how we are playing now?, I simply stated that I was pissed because every one is now like "OMG ZAC STACY OMG" when he's actually getting play time now, when this could have been going on since week 1. But I guess our "Starter that earned the spot" getting 16 yards rushing and 1YPC a game is acceptable to some.

"Would Zac have been as impressive in Week One playing hurt and still learning plays as he was in Week Five?" He still has a nagging injury now and continues to do work.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
DR ran 20 times for 63 yards in Week 1. Things weren't as bad then as they became by Week 3 and 4. Some of that was teams not really knowing what to expect from our offense.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
WoW nice article for the Z-Man. He has impressed me quite a bit. If he finishes out the season strong I hope to see him make a push for Offensive MVP

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
when was I talking about how we are playing now?, I simply stated that I was pissed because every one is now like "OMG ZAC STACY OMG" when he's actually getting play time now, when this could have been going on since week 1. But I guess our "Starter that earned the spot" getting 16 yards rushing and 1YPC a game is acceptable to some.

"Would Zac have been as impressive in Week One playing hurt and still learning plays as he was in Week Five?" He still has a nagging injury now and continues to do work.
But what value is there in being angry now? be proud you got to the party early and that Fisher isn't the type coach who never plays rookies.
Tell me what posts to go back and read about how you were certain he was our best back and I'll "like " them ,getcha some points K?
We are ALL glad you were right,as to whether he was ready in week 1 ,Fisher didn't think so and he knows more'n me,maybe not more than you,but more than me.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
But what value is there in being angry now? be proud you got to the party early and that Fisher isn't the type coach who never plays rookies.
Tell me what posts to go back and read about how you were certain he was our best back and I'll "like " them ,getcha some points K?
We are ALL glad you were right,as to whether he was ready in week 1 ,Fisher didn't think so and he knows more'n me,maybe not more than you,but more than me.

So now I think I know more then Fisher because I was right about one thing, that's funny. I didn't know Fisher was a one man show down there. I don't even know how you just assume I'm talking about Fisher, there is a reason why I said "Staff" to avoid pointing fingers. but I guess since YOU say I'm talking about Fisher IT MUST BE TRUE! :jerkoff:

you're talking about me being mad but you're the one that cant even type correctly because the anger is flowing through your fingers.

Stacy is a beast, unfortunately I cant view this on my phone. No offense to Pead, Richardson and Gannaway but I see Stacy as our future workhorse filling the void Jackson left.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/new-rams-stacy-and-cook.17728/#post-174913

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

I'm not mad bro, you are the one who said he was pissed

I mean you are the guy who typed this, aren't you?

So now I think I know more then Fisher because I was right about one thing, that's funny. I didn't know Fisher was a one man show down there. I don't even know how you just assume I'm talking about Fisher, there is a reason why I said "Staff" to avoid pointing fingers. but I guess since YOU say I'm talking about Fisher IT MUST BE TRUE! :jerkoff:

you're talking about me being mad but you're the one that cant even type correctly because the anger is flowing through your fingers.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/new-rams-stacy-and-cook.17728/#post-174913

BTW being "typing cop" doesn't make you look calm,it's a cheap shot. I don't "type correctly" FWIW because this isn't typing class,and OBTW I think it's priceless you hammered my that way and didn't capitalize the first word of that sentence:wink:

FWIW Fisher does have the last say on who starts, so the reference to him generically infers his staff as well.