St. Louis Rams Post-game Notes and Highlights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
The LBs and Safeties were absolutely terrible last night from what I saw. So many bad angkes and missed tackles in the open field. This game was sobering. Lots of work to do. Sorry if I am being a wet blanket, but man... I expect better than this.

Who was the third LB last night? Did I read that Dunbar was the MLB?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Quick was a loser because of the perception that it was the "same old Quick". Lack of separation, hustle and hanging his head as he went back to the huddle. Not saying its true or fair nor that he should be cut just saying all of the "losers" on my list did not perform well

He had one ball thrown his way.

Tough crowd.

Slappy967

Starter
Trust me I am banging the drum for Quick to break out this year and am not on the Quick bust train populated at the pd.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Defensive Line and LB's did not play well, however, mostly back-ups. Some of the offensive linemen looked very bad Hooey, Dill and Alex Van Dyk IMO, in fact, Dill was Incognito without the talent. Mason looked good and Austin Davis looked like he had a year experience on Gilbert.

I did not like the last couple of plays, it is preseason throw the football, however, the Rams just tried to sit on the ball for a FG even trying to spike the football to stop the clock but because of a bad exchange from Center Davis did not do it properly and got flagged for grounding, which made a 49 yard field goal and 59 yard field goal. I blame Jeff Fisher for that as he was right next to Shotty telling him what to do.

Overall I liked WR Austin Franklin very much and the first unit offensive line was fine Joseph at RG looks like he's back to his form when he was all pro. Shaun Hill does not look pretty, but is an obvious upgrade and did just fine, but the Saints gashed the Rams running the football and I realize no Brockers or Langford, however, I hope DC Gregg Williams does not say "Shoot, wel'll fixt that."

Also I would like to ask OC Brian Schottenheimer does he have a screen pass in his playbook? The Saints were running a zero blitz scheme and the Rams did nothing to slow it down unlike the Saints who did it to the Rams in the first two quarters.
Dill and VanDyke were atrocious!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Dill and VanDyke were atrocious!

They really were and Hooey not any better IMO...Two bad QB exchanges with Rhaney at center as well last one resulting in the penalty and the missed field goal. Also Mike Person who was okay and started at LT come on late on the field which resulted in the Rams burning a time out and they missed that field goal as well. That's why they have preseason to work their differences.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
They really were and Hooey not any better IMO...Two bad QB exchanges with Rhaney at center as well last one resulting in the penalty and the missed field goal. Also Mike Person who was okay and started at LT come on late on the field which resulted in the Rams burning a time out and they missed that field goal as well. That's why they have preseason to work their differences.
Yeah ... Person was a pleasant surprise. I just hope our starters can stay healthy. After Barnes, Joseph and Bonds .... and maybe Person ... the rest look like they have a long ways to go.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah ... Person was a pleasant surprise. I just hope our starters can stay healthy. After Barnes, Joseph and Bonds .... and maybe Person ... the rest look like they have a long ways to go.

Unsure about Bond because on the Saints DT's was in the Ram backfield most of the 2nd half and I think it was Bond's guy, however, I know Hooey missed him several times as well. First game we'll see how the rest plays out, but the defense especially against the run must improve.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
From my seats the tackling was poor overall. Other than that nothing alarming for a preseason game. I was entertained so thats about as good as PS is gonna get.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Who was the third LB last night? Did I read that Dunbar was the MLB?

It was Armstrong, having a very Armstrong like game.

Dunbar played MIKE and Armstrong played WILL.

Armstrong had some good pursuit of McCown but he totally whiffed a potential sack. He got blown up a couple times against the run. He was active but inconsistent. Hopefully JL won't miss too much regular season action.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It was Armstrong, having a very Armstrong like game.

Dunbar played MIKE and Armstrong played WILL.

Armstrong had some good pursuit of McCown but he totally whiffed a potential sack. He got blown up a couple times against the run. He was active but inconsistent. Hopefully JL won't miss too much regular season action.

ray ray was terrible....dunbar looked just like him....did ogletree even play?

BD-TomCat

Rookie
My observations. You can tell that the lack of tackling in practice is a factor. Like what I saw from Ray Ray he was active. Did he make mistakes yes but he also displayed athleticism keeping up with Graham and the other Te I think his name was hill. Made a bad decision going for the pick and gave up alot of Yac. Dont mind the mistake cause it was an aggressive one. If he had got the pick it would have been a big play. Dunbar was terrible at the MLB spot and we are in trouble if JL goes down.

Loved what I saw from Donald his first step was very evident as he was in the backfield on several occasions. Sam and Westbrook both shined during thier play in the game thats going to be a hard decision between the two unless they drop one of the DT's Westbrook looks like he can slide inside easily.

Backup Tackles are atrocious not a good showing by them. Walker destroyed who ever he lined up against. Looked like they move him around alot cb didnt look to bad in my opinion except whoever got juked by cooks on that TD.

you can see the potential in Gilbert he had alot of rookie jitters but did show he had the courage to fire the ball into tight windows.

My boy "No Splash" Cody Davis got Ran the Fuck over he gotta do better then that.

overall decent performance nothing to be mad about except the kicking

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I believe everyone should temper their expectations. They have a long way to go before they can hang with the established teams in the league.

Maybe some of the back ups do. Our starters can hang with anybody.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The LBs and Safeties were absolutely terrible last night from what I saw. So many bad angkes and missed tackles in the open field. This game was sobering. Lots of work to do. Sorry if I am being a wet blanket, but man... I expect better than this.

Again, I ask you this one simple question..... Do you think having FIVE starters on Defense not playing has anything to do with it? Tackling is ALWAYS on issue in the early preseason games. They just don't tackle in practice, and there is nothing they can do to change that.

Not having Brockers, Langford up front has to impact the run defense. Having Dunbar sliding in to MLB and exposing Armstrong at WLB will not happen come Sept. No Jenkins or Johnson?

Now, if you are still seeing the same issues a month from now, then you can say "I told you so"!

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I did not like the last couple of plays, it is preseason throw the football, however, the Rams just tried to sit on the ball for a FG even trying to spike the football to stop the clock but because of a bad exchange from Center Davis did not do it properly and got flagged for grounding, which made a 49 yard field goal and 59 yard field goal. I blame Jeff Fisher for that as he was right next to Shotty telling him what to do.

The focus in this game wasn't on winning. They want to expose players to certain game situations. I for one think practicing a game winning FG is a great opportunity that you don't get that often in preseason. Unfortunately the snap was botched trying to kill the clock and made it way harder. Practice is practice.

Teran

UDFA
The defence needs to practice for a couple of solid hours against a fast offence. They were not ready for the next play way too many times like they were expecting NO to include always have motion like our offence always seems to include. Flip side is that sometimes our offence needs to cut down on the motion and just run the damn play.

Teran

UDFA
Why were we giving 10 yards of pad against their slow receivers that aren't capable of a juke?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The focus in this game wasn't on winning. They want to expose players to certain game situations. I for one think practicing a game winning FG is a great opportunity that you don't get that often in preseason. Unfortunately the snap was botched trying to kill the clock and made it way harder. Practice is practice.

^ This.