St. Louis Rams Post-game Notes and Highlights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
St. Louis Rams Post-game Notes (8-8-14)

- I- In the first preseason contest of the 2014 season, the Rams fell to the Saints, 24-26.

- - Previously, the Rams won 2-of-2 previous contests in the all-time preseason series between the two teams (1967: Rams 16, New Orleans 7), (1968: Rams 21, New Orleans 17).

- - QB Shaun Hill started the game and led the offense for four drives, taking the team to the two-minutes warning in the first half. Hill completed five-of-seven passes for 84 yards and two touchdowns for a passer rating of 151.2.

- - Rookie QB Garrett Gilbert took over the offense with two minutes left to play in the first half. Gilbert completed six of 11 passes for 53 yards.

- - QB Austin Davis saw action in the fourth quarter and completed 10-of-16 passes for 134 yards.

- - DE Chris Long intercepted a pass from Saints QB Luke McCown and returned it two yards to the New Orleans 47-yard line. The play helped set up St. Louis’ first scoring drive of the day.

- - TE Cory Harkey hauled in a 16-yard touchdown pass from Hill.

- - WR Stedman Bailey notched a 24 yard touchdown reception from Hill.

- - WR Austin Franklin caught a 15 yard touchdown pass from QB Austin Davis.

- - Rookie LB Johnny Milliard intercepted a pass from Saints QB Logan Kilgore.

- - According to press box statistics, S Rodney McLeod, S Cody Davis and CB E.J. Gaines each split the team lead for tackles with four a piece.

- - Rookie TE Alex Bayer led the team in receptions (five) and receiving yards (71).

- - Rookie RB Tre Mason led the rushing attack with 15 carries for 51 yards.

- - Rookies that started today’s contest include: OL Greg Robinson, DT Aaron Donald, and CB E.J. Gaines.

- - K Greg Zuerlein converted a 45-yard field attempt.

PhxRam

According to press box statistics, S Rodney McLeod, S Cody Davis and CB E.J. Gaines each split the team lead for tackles with four a piece

not sure that is a good stat to have your secondary leading the team in tackles.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

fearsomefour

Legend
One can see the massive separation between Hill and the other QBs.
Bayer looks to be a playmaker.
Donald displayed that quick first step.
Almost none of the D lineman or LB got off blocks.
Sam showed very well.
Davis has a hideous and slow arm action but showed growth from last year.
Rhaney had several nice blocks in the running game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Going back to rewatch this now with a little more attention to detail.

VARam

I believe everyone should temper their expectations. They have a long way to go before they can hang with the established teams in the league.

Teran

UDFA
McDonald seemed to get pushed out of his lane assignments easily. Gaines is a little raw, but I see the potential.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Defensive Line and LB's did not play well, however, mostly back-ups. Some of the offensive linemen looked very bad Hooey, Dill and Alex Van Dyk IMO, in fact, Dill was Incognito without the talent. Mason looked good and Austin Davis looked like he had a year experience on Gilbert.

I did not like the last couple of plays, it is preseason throw the football, however, the Rams just tried to sit on the ball for a FG even trying to spike the football to stop the clock but because of a bad exchange from Center Davis did not do it properly and got flagged for grounding, which made a 49 yard field goal and 59 yard field goal. I blame Jeff Fisher for that as he was right next to Shotty telling him what to do.

Overall I liked WR Austin Franklin very much and the first unit offensive line was fine Joseph at RG looks like he's back to his form when he was all pro. Shaun Hill does not look pretty, but is an obvious upgrade and did just fine, but the Saints gashed the Rams running the football and I realize no Brockers or Langford, however, I hope DC Gregg Williams does not say "Shoot, wel'll fixt that."

Also I would like to ask OC Brian Schottenheimer does he have a screen pass in his playbook? The Saints were running a zero blitz scheme and the Rams did nothing to slow it down unlike the Saints who did it to the Rams in the first two quarters.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I Liked Fishers "Trick play" fake punt and run by Chase Reynolds!:D

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
One thing to keep in mind; after the first couple of series it's back ups vs back ups and guys who aren't making either roster.

The evaluation of a preseason game is very hard.

I think it's more about breaking INDIVIDUAL PLAY into categories; (1) who made the best of their opportunities and (2) who did they make those opportunities against?

The winners of those opportunities get moved up to tougher competition if they shined against the lower part of the rosters.

The losers of those opportunities get moved down.

One guy might look great against backups. That doesn't mean he's ready for the big show. And vice versa.

Slappy967

Starter
So then who would everyone rank as their winners/losers coming out of this game?

Winners
Gaines
Donald
Robinson
Joyner
Hill
Sam
Mason

Losers
Quick
Givens
Westbrooks
Justice Cunningham
GZ
O line depth

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
When Langford, Brockers, and Laurinaitis are back in the game our run defense should look completely different, since those are our main guys in the run game.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So then who would everyone rank as their winners/losers coming out of this game?

Winners
Gaines
Donald
Robinson
Joyner
Hill
Sam
Mason

Losers
Quick
Givens
Westbrooks
Justice Cunningham
GZ
O line depth

I'm not sure Quick was a loser for so few opportunities. Might as well call Britt and Quinn a loser too.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The LBs and Safeties were absolutely terrible last night from what I saw. So many bad angkes and missed tackles in the open field. This game was sobering. Lots of work to do. Sorry if I am being a wet blanket, but man... I expect better than this.

Slappy967

Starter
Quick was a loser because of the perception that it was the "same old Quick". Lack of separation, hustle and hanging his head as he went back to the huddle. Not saying its true or fair nor that he should be cut just saying all of the "losers" on my list did not perform well