St. Louis Rams Off Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

T-Hawks

UDFA
ACQUISITIONS
Lance Kendricks
Kenny Britt
Nick Foles
Case Keenum
Akeem Ayers
Nick Fairley
Garrett Reynolds
Joe Barksdale

NFL DRAFT
Round one- Brandon Scherff OG Iowa- Scherff is the perfect fit for us. He is a player that fits our ground and pound scheme. He will slide in at guard and be opening giant holes for Mason day one.
17047-brandon-scherff-iowa.jpg

Round two- Devin Smith WR Ohio State- Smith brings something to our WR corps that no one else does on the roster. He is a premier deep threat that can take the top off of the defense. He reminds me of a taller Desean Jackson. Foles was deadly with Jackson. With this we cut Givens and get an upgrade over a player that lost his edge out there and needs to turn in the wings. With a superior Smith out there defenses will have to worry about being beat deep, and this will open up stuff for Austin.
ncf_u_smith01jr_300x300.jpg

Round three- Donovan Smith OT Penn State- I have really liked what I have seen with Smith. He will be a swing tackle between Robinson and Barksdale. Smith can develop behind them, and he would be solid depth behind the starting bookends. He has great size, and great foot quickness that really helps him keep up with the speed edge rushers. After watching the Senior Bowl, I came away most impressed with Donovan Smith than any other player. Smith will be a steal. Watch his tape.
ncf_g_dsmith5_cr_300x300.jpg

Round four- Shaquille Mason C Georgia Tech- I find Mason the most appealing of all the centers in the draft. He fits our ground and pound scheme the most out of all the centers in the draft. He might be the most powerful player in this draft. He has played in an offense in college that ran it almost every play. Mason can compete with Jones and Rhaney for the starting center, and I feel out of the three we will be pleasantly surprised with one of them.
masonclemson.jpg

Round six- Brandon Bridge QB South Alabama- I know a lot of people will not support this pick, but I believe Bridge is worth the risk. We need to pick a quarterback to develop behind Foles. Why not pick the most athletic and physically gifted quarterback in the draft. Bridge has an amazing arm and athleticism. He can sit behind Foles this year and we might get a gem. You never know.
brandon-bridge-south-alabama-jaguars.jpg

Round seven- Mark Glowinski OG West Virginia- Glowinski gives the Rams even more depth at the offensive line. Glowinski is a mean nasty guard that would be a great value in the seventh round. This draft gets us great depth along the offensive line.
glowinskiaction.png

DEPTH CHART

OFFENSE

QB- Nick Foles, Austin Davis, Brandon Bridge
RB- Tre Mason, Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Trey Watts
WR- Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Devin Smith, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey
TE- Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks, Corey Harkey
LT- Greg Robinson
LG- Brandon Scherff
C- Shaquille Mason
RG- Rodger Saffold
RT- Joe Barksdale
OL Depth- Donovan Smith, Garrett Reynolds, Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney, Mark Glowinski, Brandon Washington

DEFENSE
DE- Robert Quinn, Chris Long
DT- Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers
DL Depth- Nick Fairley, William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Ethan Westbrooks
OLB- Alec Olgetree, Akeem Ayers
MLB- James Laurinatis
LB Depth- Jo Lonn Dunbar, Darren Bates
CB- Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, EJ Gaines, Lamarcus Joyner, Brandon McGee, Marcus Roberson
FS- Rodney McLeod
SS- TJ McDonald
S Depth- Mark Barron, Maurice Alexander, Cody Davis

SPECIAL TEAMS
K- Greg Zurlein
P- Johnny Hekker
LS- Jake McQuade
PR- Tavon Austin
KR- Benny Cunningham

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Would prefer another pick in Rd2... Love picks 1,3 & 4 though

194.png

Devin Smith

• WR
  • Senior
  • 6-0⅜, 196 lbs
  • Ohio St
  • Scouts Grade89
  • Position Rank5
  • Overall Rank25
  • 40-YD Dash4.42
  • ConferenceBig Ten
2014 NCAA Football Stats

ReceptionsYDSTDS

Overall Football Traits
Production22011 (13/0): 14-294-21-4 2012 (12/10): 30-618-20.6-6 2013 (14/12): 44-660-15-82014 (15/12): 33-931-28.2-12
Height-Weight-Speed2Average WR height with thin frame. Defined muscular body. Hand span (9") and arm length (31 3/8") are both slightly below average. Outstanding top-end speed.
Durability1Never missed a game during four seasons at OSU. Played in 54 career games (34 starts).
Intangibles4No off-the-field issues. Comes from a supportive two-parent home. Son of Anita Smith and Andre Simpson. Described by scouts as being a bit of a class clown. Work habits could be more consistent. A bit of a "high rep
1 = EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL
Wide Receiver Specific Traits
Separation Skills2Quick starter with top-end speed to take top off defense. Savvy vertical route runner. Uses subtle shoulder/head bobs to set up moves and to help generate separation. Does an impressive job of using body to establish positioning and shield defender from ball. Drops weight in a flash on hitch and stick routes. Explosive transition on speed out. Has the tools to be a more complete route runner if he paid attention to detail and worked harder on refining routes. Very much capable of getting in and out of breaks quickly, but inconsistent in doing so on tape. Also some questions about his ability to pick up new concepts and recognize coverage's as quickly and effectively as many NFL teams require.
Ball Skills2Excels at tracking deep ball. Locates and adjusts over his shoulder as well as any receiver in this class. Very good body control. Shows ability to contort body in air. OUtstanding leaping ability and usually times his jumps very well. Can pluck over head. More reliable on short-intermediate routes in 2014 than earlier in career, but still see too many body catches and double catches. Can fight the ball at times on quicker-hitting routes. Inconsistent focus in traffic.
Big play ability1Elite vertical threat. Outstanding initial burst off the line and has a clear second gear to get over the top of cover corners.Quick transition upfield after catch. Shows good initial burst and can go the distance if he hits a crease. But not an overly elusive open-field runner and his field vision (navigating through traffic) is below average. Not a strong runner after catch and won't break many tackles.
Competitiveness4Question his toughness at times working middle of field. Usually gets in position as blocker but lacks strength and consistent effort sustaining. Whiffs on too many crack-back blocks. Excellent competitiveness when fighting for 50-50 ball.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I like this dude though:

9.png

Jaelen Strong

• WR
  • Junior
  • 6-2⅜, 217 lbs
  • Arizona St
  • Scouts Grade89
  • Position Rank4
  • Overall Rank27
  • 40-YD Dash4.44
  • ConferencePAC-12
2014 NCAA Football Stats

ReceptionsYDSTDS

Overall Football Traits
Production12011-'12: PIERCE COLLEGE (CA) 2013: ARIZONA STATE (14/13) - 75-1,122-15.0-7 2014 (12/12): 82-1,165-14.2-10
Height-Weight-Speed2Possesses excellent height and long arms. Adequate bulk and estimated timed-speed for size.
Durability3In 2014, suffered a concussion vs. Oregon State and did not play following week vs. Washington St. Returned to play final two games of season. In 2013, dealt with nagging ankle injury that limited him during part of season but he did play in all 14 games. Finished two-year career playing in 26 of 27 games, including 25 starts.
Intangibles3Non-qualifier out of high school and ended up at a junior college to start career. Father John Rankin was a former basketball standout at Drexel and Philadelphia police officer who passed away from Leukemia when Jaelen was just nine years old. Jaelen was raised primarily by his mother and grandfather. No off-the-field red flags..
Wide Receiver Specific Traits
Separation Skills3A big-bodied, high cut and physical route runner. Lacks ideal suddenness and can labor getting in and out of cuts. Most effective with downfield routes. Creates most of his separation late when the ball in the air. Above-average size and strength combo and is very effective shielding/boxing out defenders at the catch point without pushing off. Has very good body control. Excels at adjusting to back-shoulder throws along sideline. Must continue to work on technique to consistently gain a quicker release getting off of press coverage. Shows an adequate feel for finding the soft spots in zone coverage.
Ball Skills1Big strike zone for quarterbacks with a sturdy frame and long arms. Outstanding hand-eye coordination and enormous mitts that swallow the ball. Made several one-handed stabs during two seasons at ASU. Is quick to pluck and secure. Very confident and aggressive as a pass catcher. Consistently high points the ball. Tracks the ball well and shows very good body control adjusting to throws outside cylinder. Very good focus in traffic to secure throws with defenders hanging onto him.
Big play ability2Has some build-up speed, but top-end speed is competitive for size and enough to challenge vertically. A one-on-one matchup problem downfield and in red zone. Pulls in a lot of throws in jump ball situations due to size, strength and leaping ability. Adequate foot quickness for size but lacks ideal elusiveness and doesn't appear to have breakaway speed. Strong runner who will break some attempted arm tackles in open field.
Competitiveness2Attacks the ball like a power forward. Willing to do the dirty work in the middle of the field. Competitive runner after the catch that fights for yards. Effort can improve but effective as a run-blocker when getting into position. Has the size and strength to cover up defenders downfield.
= EXCEPTIONAL2 = ABOVE AVERAGE3 = AVERAGE4 = BELOW AVERAGE5 = MARGINAL

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
ACQUISITIONS
Lance Kendricks
Kenny Britt
Nick Foles
Case Keenum
Akeem Ayers
Nick Fairley
Garrett Reynolds
Joe Barksdale

NFL DRAFT
Round one- Brandon Scherff OG Iowa- Scherff is the perfect fit for us. He is a player that fits our ground and pound scheme. He will slide in at guard and be opening giant holes for Mason day one.

Round two- Devin Smith WR Ohio State- Smith brings something to our WR corps that no one else does on the roster. He is a premier deep threat that can take the top off of the defense. He reminds me of a taller Desean Jackson. Foles was deadly with Jackson. With this we cut Givens and get an upgrade over a player that lost his edge out there and needs to turn in the wings. With a superior Smith out there defenses will have to worry about being beat deep, and this will open up stuff for Austin.

Round three- Donovan Smith OT Penn State- I have really liked what I have seen with Smith. He will be a swing tackle between Robinson and Barksdale. Smith can develop behind them, and he would be solid depth behind the starting bookends. He has great size, and great foot quickness that really helps him keep up with the speed edge rushers. After watching the Senior Bowl, I came away most impressed with Donovan Smith than any other player. Smith will be a steal. Watch his tape.

Round four- Shaquille Mason C Georgia Tech- I find Mason the most appealing of all the centers in the draft. He fits our ground and pound scheme the most out of all the centers in the draft. He might be the most powerful player in this draft. He has played in an offense in college that ran it almost every play. Mason can compete with Jones and Rhaney for the starting center, and I feel out of the three we will be pleasantly surprised with one of them.
masonclemson.jpg

Round six- Brandon Bridge QB South Alabama- I know a lot of people will not support this pick, but I believe Bridge is worth the risk. We need to pick a quarterback to develop behind Foles. Why not pick the most athletic and physically gifted quarterback in the draft. Bridge has an amazing arm and athleticism. He can sit behind Foles this year and we might get a gem. You never know.

Round seven- Mark Glowinski OG West Virginia- Glowinski gives the Rams even more depth at the offensive line. Glowinski is a mean nasty guard that would be a great value in the seventh round. This draft gets us great depth along the offensive line.
glowinskiaction.png

DEPTH CHART

OFFENSE

LT- Greg Robinson
LG- Brandon Scherff
C- Shaquille Mason
RG- Rodger Saffold
RT- Joe Barksdale
OL Depth- Donovan Smith, Garrett Reynolds, Barrett Jones, Demetrius Rhaney, Mark Glowinski, Brandon Washington

DEFENSE
MLB- James Laurinatis
CB- Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, EJ Gaines, Lamarcus Joyner, Brandon McGee, Marcus Roberson
FS- Rodney McLeod
SS- TJ McDonald

SPECIAL TEAMS
K- Greg Zurlein
P- Johnny Hekker
LS- Jake McQuade
PR- Tavon Austin
KR- Benny Cunningham
When did we re-sign Barksdale, I hadn't heard that!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
ACQUISITIONS
Lance Kendricks
Kenny Britt
Nick Foles
Case Keenum
Akeem Ayers
Nick Fairley
Garrett Reynolds
Joe Barksdale

NFL DRAFT

masonclemson.jpg

glowinskiaction.png

DEPTH CHART

OFFENSE

LT- Greg Robinson
LG- Brandon Scherff
C- Shaquille Mason
RG- Rodger Saffold
RT- Joe Barksdale

DEFENSE
MLB- James Laurinatis
FS- Rodney McLeod
SS- TJ McDonald

SPECIAL TEAMS
K- Greg Zurlein
P- Johnny Hekker
LS- Jake McQuade
PR- Tavon Austin
KR- Benny Cunningham

V E R Y W E L L. D O N E !!!!!!
I especially agree on Shaq Mason.
While I prefer Strong over Smith, I think he will be gone by the time we select in the second.
While I never considered Bridge, the idea intrigues me.
Now, though I'm concerned about the inexperience on the left side of your line, I really love it's potential. We may struggle with youthful errors, but it could be the beginning of an OLine era we old timers recall well from the 70s and 80s. Bravo THawks.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I like your thoughts. Tho with Fisher around, I can't see him ignoring the defense the entire draft.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I like it except round one, is that pick at 10? If so I hate taking a guard who's great at run blocking but a big liability against the pass.

bskrilla

Starter
Wouldn't mind trying to find another CB in the draft somewhere because you can never have enough, but I like it overall.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well, I feel like this year is a lot like last year being "We go WR in the first or we don't draft one at all." We got enough depth guys there.

So with the second round I'd like C Erving from FSU.

I too think we resign Barks.

BPA in the third round. I'm all for OL for the first 4 picks, really. Gotta get that fixed.

T-Hawks

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cameron
Well, I feel like this year is a lot like last year being "We go WR in the first or we don't draft one at all." We got enough depth guys there.

So with the second round I'd like C Erving from FSU.

I too think we resign Barks.

BPA in the third round. I'm all for OL for the first 4 picks, really. Gotta get that fixed.
I feel like Cameron Erving will not be available at our pick. I see him going late first very early second. To get Erving I feel like we will have to trade up.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Cameron

I feel like Cameron Erving will not be available at our pick. I see him going late first very early second. To get Erving I feel like we will have to trade up.

Well shucks, I didn't know how high his stock was. I just know he's an excellent prosoect. Him being a converted LT really shows.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I like it except round one, is that pick at 10? If so I hate taking a guard who's great at run blocking but a big liability against the pass.

2294.png

Brandon Scherff

• OT
  • Senior
  • 6-4⅝, 319 lbs
  • Iowa
  • Scouts Grade93
  • Position Rank1
  • Overall Rank8
  • 40-YD Dash5.05
  • ConferenceBig Ten
2014 NCAA Football Stats

------
------

Overall Football Traits
Production12010: Redshirted. 2011: (10/3) at LOG2012: (7/7) at LOT2013: (13/13) at LOT2014: (13/13) at LOT
Height-Weight-Speed3Slightly shorter than average OT prospect and has below average arm length. Has very good bulk and well-proportioned frame. Massive hands and outstanding straight-line speed for size.
Durability3Tweaked hamstring at NFL Combine during first 40-yard dash attempt and did not finish workouts. Started all 26 games during final two seasons at Iowa. Ultimate tough guy; will play through injuries. In 2014, injured knee in first quarter of Ball State game. Had a procedure on knee the next day (Sunday), was back at practice on Tuesday, and then started Saturday's game vs. Iowa State. In 2012, sustained season-ending injury and underwent surgery in 2012 (Reportedly broke right fibula and dislocated right ankle).
Intangibles1Pronounced SHAIRF. Wired perfectly for success in NFL as an offensive lineman. Coaches rave about his leadership, toughness and passion for the game. Elite football character. Named Permanent Team Captain. Only redshirt freshman named to team's Leadership Group that year and named to group every year since. Played quarterback at 280 pounds as a sophomore in high school. Expected to be fourth Iowa OL selected in first round since 2004 (Robert Gallery, Bryan Bulaga, Riley Reiff). Son of Cindy and Bob Scherff. Leisure studies major.
Offensive Tackle Specific Traits
Pass Protection3Quick set and can protect the edge in most matchups. Knocks top-heavy defenders' hands down and drives them into ground. Below average length raises concerns about ability to hold up gainst NFL speed rushers. Biggest issue is he sets high and can get in trouble versus pass rushers that are capable of winning with both speed and power.
Run Blocking1Powerful run blocker with first-step quickness to generate initial surge and lower body strength to drive defenders off the line. Powerful initial pop. Takes good angles to second level and consistently erases linebackers. Would like to see him lock out and steer longer at times.
Awareness3Picks up most blitzes and line stunts but can duck head on occasion, which can lead to him being a quarter-count late on delayed games. Above average locating assignments working up to the second level.
Toughness1Toughest OL in 2015 class. Nasty disposition with a finishers mentality. Hostile agitator that blocks through the whistle and gets under defender's skin. A tone setter up front.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
2294.png

Brandon Scherff

• OT
  • Senior
  • 6-4⅝, 319 lbs
  • Iowa
  • Scouts Grade93
  • Position Rank1
  • Overall Rank8
  • 40-YD Dash5.05
  • ConferenceBig Ten
2014 NCAA Football Stats

------
------

Overall Football Traits
Production12010: Redshirted. 2011: (10/3) at LOG2012: (7/7) at LOT2013: (13/13) at LOT2014: (13/13) at LOT
Height-Weight-Speed3Slightly shorter than average OT prospect and has below average arm length. Has very good bulk and well-proportioned frame. Massive hands and outstanding straight-line speed for size.
Durability3Tweaked hamstring at NFL Combine during first 40-yard dash attempt and did not finish workouts. Started all 26 games during final two seasons at Iowa. Ultimate tough guy; will play through injuries. In 2014, injured knee in first quarter of Ball State game. Had a procedure on knee the next day (Sunday), was back at practice on Tuesday, and then started Saturday's game vs. Iowa State. In 2012, sustained season-ending injury and underwent surgery in 2012 (Reportedly broke right fibula and dislocated right ankle).
Intangibles1Pronounced SHAIRF. Wired perfectly for success in NFL as an offensive lineman. Coaches rave about his leadership, toughness and passion for the game. Elite football character. Named Permanent Team Captain. Only redshirt freshman named to team's Leadership Group that year and named to group every year since. Played quarterback at 280 pounds as a sophomore in high school. Expected to be fourth Iowa OL selected in first round since 2004 (Robert Gallery, Bryan Bulaga, Riley Reiff). Son of Cindy and Bob Scherff. Leisure studies major.
Offensive Tackle Specific Traits
Pass Protection3Quick set and can protect the edge in most matchups. Knocks top-heavy defenders' hands down and drives them into ground. Below average length raises concerns about ability to hold up gainst NFL speed rushers. Biggest issue is he sets high and can get in trouble versus pass rushers that are capable of winning with both speed and power.
Run Blocking1Powerful run blocker with first-step quickness to generate initial surge and lower body strength to drive defenders off the line. Powerful initial pop. Takes good angles to second level and consistently erases linebackers. Would like to see him lock out and steer longer at times.
Awareness3Picks up most blitzes and line stunts but can duck head on occasion, which can lead to him being a quarter-count late on delayed games. Above average locating assignments working up to the second level.
Toughness1Toughest OL in 2015 class. Nasty disposition with a finishers mentality. Hostile agitator that blocks through the whistle and gets under defender's skin. A tone setter up front.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Not saying he's a bad player but he's got holes in his game specifically pass blocking. I don't think he's capable of playing tackle so that's a negative for me if you draft him at 10

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@T-Hawks if this came to fruition IMO, you would have one overjoyed fan base regardless of what's going on off the field. This would cover all areas and the selection of Bridge I would support 100%!

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Not saying he's a bad player but he's got holes in his game specifically pass blocking. I don't think he's capable of playing tackle so that's a negative for me if you draft him at 10

EDIT: Ya but an elite OG that can be a solid RT in a pinch is worth its weight in gold imho
Had an great OL coach w/ NFL pedigree so should be a plug and play from day one

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
EDIT: Ya but an elite OG that can be a solid RT in a pinch is worth its weight in gold imho
Had an great OL coach w/ NFL pedigree so should be a plug and play from day one
Your 100% correct on a elite OG that can be solid as a RT but I don't see that as the case with Scherff. That's just my opinion.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I wonder why all the hate on the o lineman in this draft. Usually 2 or 3 go in the top 5 and now suddenly, to most people, the top rated tackle is no good for the rams at 10?? I'll take that all day long thank you. Scherff at ten makes me happy.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
JackDRams said:
I wonder why all the hate on the o lineman in this draft. Usually 2 or 3 go in the top 5 and now suddenly, to most people, the top rated tackle is no good for the rams at 10?? I'll take that all day long thank you. Scherff at ten makes me happy.
No hate at all just a difference in opinion thats all. There are a lot of oline prospects I would love to have including Scherff but just not at 10.