Sports Phrase that drives me nuts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Ticky Tack.

This is the dumbest misused word by football announcers and fans. Seems to me it must have been used by someone who meant to say nit-picky or something and it stuck...because nowhere does the word ticky tacky have relevance to an official making a lame call.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ticky-tacky" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ticky-tacky</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ticky-tackhttp://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ticky-tacky" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ ... icky-tacky</a>

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I don't know Sum, I see the correlation. Not substantial = small time = minor = a minor infraction of a rule.

You seem to have way too much free time on your hands. Come on over to my house and help me clean my gutters. :ww:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
albefree69 said:
I don't know Sum, I see the correlation. Not substantial = small time = minor = a minor infraction of a rule.

You seem to have way too much free time on your hands. Come on over to my house and help me clean my gutters. :ww:

Seems we ALL must have too much time Al,just sayin' I doubt my grandfathers life left the time to have the sort of post count I have.

I agree with ya there are origins in real meaning for words like that, a tick is a smallish insect and it sticks in you like a tack and it's something that might go unnoticed so I get that but ,we do have a list of little euphemisms that get overused and become used by people who WANT to SOUND eloquent but fail miserably when they use them BECAUSE they've become trite.
I myself have a pet peeve expression "brings to the table" it's like a finger nail on a chalk board when I hear that,it gets used SOOO much I just want to strangle the guy who first brought that to the sports discussion....................table.
The thing has infected our every day lives , it permeates ,people who've never eaten at a table in their lives use it,I hate it,so if Ticky Tac has any thing CLOSE to the effect upon Sum1 that "brings to the table" has upon me, I feal ya Sum ,I feal ya.

I guess in the end what I and Sum are REALLY lamenting is the mistaken assumption that because you have control of or are given access to a microphone ,that you have something to say and further the lack of eloquence we suffer due to the prolific expansion of coverage ,where have you gone Howard Cosell a nation turns it's injured ears to you.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Thordaddy said:
albefree69 said:

Seems we ALL must have too much time Al,just sayin' I doubt my grandfathers life left the time to have the sort of post count I have.

I agree with ya there are origins in real meaning for words like that, a tick is a smallish insect and it sticks in you like a tack and it's something that might go unnoticed so I get that but ,we do have a list of little euphemisms that get overused and become used by people who WANT to SOUND eloquent but fail miserably when they use them BECAUSE they've become trite.
I myself have a pet peeve expression "brings to the table" it's like a finger nail on a chalk board when I hear that,it gets used SOOO much I just want to strangle the guy who first brought that to the sports discussion....................table.
The thing has infected our every day lives , it permeates ,people who've never eaten at a table in their lives use it,I hate it,so if Ticky Tac has any thing CLOSE to the effect upon Sum1 that "brings to the table" has upon me, I feal ya Sum ,I feal ya.

I like what you "bring to the table" :rofl:

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
EastRam said:
Thordaddy said:
albefree69 said:

I like what you "bring to the table" :rofl:
Ardunno East my family NEVER eats at a table the boys wander the house grazing off napkins ,I eat at my computer and the wife eats on the bed where she watches Fox News until she can't digest her food.We only use it when guests come to the house.

But I ask you ,am I wrong, is that one over used trite ass expression you could do without hearing come from some mouth breather on SUCH a regular basis. It get's my hackles up , then I start thinking about public education ,what it costs ,the waste I know is in it ,the school lunch program , prayer in public schools and I just get all itchy and have to go buy a can of Gold Bond.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
You know there are only so many expressions you can use for similar situations. When you've lived as long as we have everything gets a little tiresome. That's probably why these sayings eventually fall out of favor and are replaced by something new. Or at least that's what one of my ex-wives said about me. :lol:

Thordaddy added:
she watches Fox News until she can't digest her food
Watching Fox news always upsets my tummy too. :ww:

EastRam

Pro Bowler
albefree69 said:
You know there are only so many expressions you can use for similar situations. When you've lived as long as we have everything gets a little tiresome. That's probably why these sayings eventually fall out of favor and are replaced by something new. Or at least that's what one of my ex-wives said about me. :lol:

Thordaddy added:

The only news I watch starts with na na na, na na na

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrPPVXfeCQI[/youtube]

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
albefree69 said:

Thordaddy added:

And FWIW for diametrically opposed assumptions I assure you Al, she's FAR more political than I.

I disagree with the "so many" contention, creativity when it comes to language is an art and unfortunately the real artists don't report on sports most of the time, Cosell was a great one,whether you liked him or not he was an original ,took his craft seriously so many today trade upon their athletic notoriety and spew forth endless coach speak ,at the beginning of his career in broadcast Kurt Warner absolutely KILLED ME,he was unlistenable :shock: he has worked at it and improved vastly, but he still isn't that good.

Worst thing is when someone DOES come up with a good one the bottom feeders of the profession glom onto it and in short order we're tired of hearing it.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Thordaddy talking theoretical instead of real life:
I disagree with the "so many" contention, creativity when it comes to language is an art and unfortunately the real artists don't report on sports most of the time, Cosell was a great one,whether you liked him or not he was an original ,took his craft seriously so many today trade upon their athletic notoriety and spew forth endless coach speak ,at the beginning of his career in broadcast Kurt Warner absolutely KILLED ME,he was unlistenable :shock: he has worked at it and improved vastly, but he still isn't that good.

Worst thing is when someone DOES come up with a good one the bottom feeders of the profession glom onto it and in short order we're tired of hearing it.
I agree with that in theory but in practice creativity means nothing if your audience doesn't understand your brilliance. That's precisely why they have universal sayings for situations. They're the short lazy way of saying things and they only work if your audience knows exactly what you mean when you use one of them. If there is any question as to your meaning you've failed to communicate what you're trying to say.

New sayings are usually either immediately recognized as good stuff or said by someone important. Deacon Jones and "sacks" comes to mind. I called them "bags" back in the day and you can see how that went. :lol:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:

No...I just don't manage my time very well. :cheese:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
One I can't stand is one we hear a lot in hoops.

"He can score the ball".

It's stupid sounding and when it comes out of an announcers mouth I cringe a little.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Thordaddy said:
I guess in the end what I and Sum are REALLY lamenting is the mistaken assumption that because you have control of or are given access to a microphone ,that you have something to say and further the lack of eloquence we suffer due to the prolific expansion of coverage ,where have you gone Howard Cosell a nation turns it's injured ears to you.
This just made me laugh.

I think that your premise is correct, but admittedly television announcers, not normally chosen by wile or wit, do have a target audience that takes comfort in those regurgitated phrases.

Though the title sports writer may in itself seem an oxymoron, I've always felt that someone with a true talent would fill a niche.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
I hate hearing the words "man-crush" and "sexy", as in: "I've got a man-crush on this guy but taking THIS guy would be the sexy pick."

dink and dunk is up there too...

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Zaphod said:
Thordaddy said:
This just made me laugh.

I think that your premise is correct, but admittedly television announcers, not normally chosen by wile or wit, do have a target audience that takes comfort in those regurgitated phrases.

Though the title sports writer may in itself seem an oxymoron, I've always felt that someone with a true talent would fill a niche.
Yeah it really chapped Cosell's ass that jocks who knew nothing about broadcast were being moved into the "boof" and he was basically having to ACT like he wasn't appalled at their lack of professionalism and just poor performance while they learned. Some were entertaining Don Meredith ,some were good ,Gifford, but today the vast number of outlets covering the NFL is so expansive they are hiring guys who can't put intelligible sentences together and if an inarticulate boob like me notices,it MUST be bad.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
LesBaker said:
One I can't stand is one we hear a lot in hoops.

"He can score the ball".

It's stupid sounding and when it comes out of an announcers mouth I cringe a little.
Yeah you "score" points or "highs" you don't score a ball ,the ball scores my solution is to turn the sound off and play Pink Floyd CD's and indulge in what I score. :cheese:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Sum1BTRthnU popping my bubble:
No...I just don't manage my time very well. :cheese:

So is that a no on helping me clean my gutters? :boohoo:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Thordaddy said:
Zaphod said:
Thordaddy said:
This just made me laugh.

Yeah it really chapped Cosell's ass that jocks who knew nothing about broadcast were being moved into the "boof" and he was basically having to ACT like he wasn't appalled at their lack of professionalism and just poor performance while they learned. Some were entertaining Don Meredith ,some were good ,Gifford, but today the vast number of outlets covering the NFL is so expansive they are hiring guys who can't put intelligible sentences together and if an inarticulate boob like me notices,it MUST be bad.
Lets not forget the dennis leary experiment

"It is what it is."

"Great football play."

"Great golf shot."

There are plenty more but those 3 are my least favorite that I can think of at the moment.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
At the end of the day, I can't stand the phrase "at the end of the day". And of course, "We'll have to ask Reggie." :amped:

Phrases I love? Anything Chick Hern or Vin Scully used to say.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
TheRyanExpress said:
"It is what it is."

"Great football play."

"Great golf shot."

There are plenty more but those 3 are my least favorite that I can think of at the moment.
Aww mannnn. :|

I use that first one all the time.