Something better than 710am?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I miss the good radio coverage of the Rams maybe more than I miss having them as the local team. It really leaves a hole in my enjoyment of the Rams. STL radio covered them a little bit last season but there is no coverage any more except as part of general NFL talk. It really sucks. Kronke should buy one of the popular sports talk stations in LA and make sure the Rams are covered like they should be. We deserve it. You would think it might help generate more LA fan interest, and his bottom line, the underhanded motherfuckin bastard. If he hadn't thrown STL under the bus on his way out, and left with a little more class, there might still have been some amount of decent coverage in STL for a couple more years, but no... You LA guys need to let us know when there are decent programs covering the Rams with intelligent, or at least fun, talk that are internet accessible.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Naw...The Eagles are just the most beloved team in town, that has never won the big one. The Phillies have won two World Series(last in 2008), The Fliers won back-to-back Stanley Cups in the 1970's. The Sixers have won three NBA Championships, the last was in 1983.
The Eagles? They have never won a Super Bowl. They won a NFL Championship in 1960, but no one remembers that, and few count that as anything before the AFL/NFL merger. I have heard many Eagles fans say they would take one Super Bowl with the Eagles, over any two Championships with the other pro teams. The Phillies won in 2008, and yet they have the least love of any of the four teams.. Face it, this goes against your theory of a big city with other major sports franchises having other things to do....not just in Philadelphia (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, DC, New York), and they go crazy for a team with less success than the Rams, and they talk about them ALL year.

I disagree. I believe it perfectly fits what I've said. I never mentioned championships. You did. Yet I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion especially since the last championship you mentioned was back in 2008. Apparently the Eagles have captured the attention of the local media and the local media responds to listeners interests.

You missed my point completely about "a big city with other major sports franchises". One team will get the most attention. Of the cities you mentioned only New York is commensurate with LA and New York loves the Yankees more than the Jets or Giants. NY is also large enough that at least one station can afford to focus more on the NFL as its niche. Apparently LA doesn't even have that with two NFL teams. Until the listeners reach a significant level that warrants Rams coverage in LA it won't happen outside of their winning or the team buys its own station. Fans from LA have generally been in agreement about the expected (and now realized) uphill battle with the local media since there are already so many other teams there to report on for their audience.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. I believe it perfectly fits what I've said. I never mentioned championships. You did. Yet I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion especially since the last championship you mentioned was back in 2008. Apparently the Eagles have captured the attention of the local media and the local media responds to listeners interests.

You missed my point completely about "a big city with other major sports franchises". One team will get the most attention. Of the cities you mentioned only New York is commensurate with LA and New York loves the Yankees more than the Jets or Giants. NY is also large enough that at least one station can afford to focus more on the NFL as its niche. Apparently LA doesn't even have that with two NFL teams. Until the listeners reach a significant level that warrants Rams coverage in LA it won't happen outside of their winning or the team buys its own station. Fans from LA have generally been in agreement about the expected (and now realized) uphill battle with the local media since there are already so many other teams there to report on for their audience.
I mentioned Championships, because that's what really matters in the end. Certainly in Philly this is true. And actually, the whole NE Corridor is a megalopolis, meaning heavily populated string of cities one after the other, where distinct cities are not as a relevant as the whole. So Philadelphia/Delaware Valley isn't all that much different than sprawling LA in size....The Philadelphia Phillies won a World Series in 2008, and the lakers last won an NBA Championship in 2010, which isn't much different in terms of years from now. The Phillies are the stepchildren of the city, where the NHL seems to be even more popular. The Lakers have been irrelevant for a while now, yet they get the lion's share of coverage, along with the freaking Clippers, followed by the Dodgers. even the Kings are an afterthought after winning two Stanley Cups in the last few years. Being winner aside from the NBA, just makes you the tallest midget in a world pf pygmies in LA, which is fukking sad.

bnw

Pro Bowler
I mentioned Championships, because that's what really matters in the end. Certainly in Philly this is true. And actually, the whole NE Corridor is a megalopolis, meaning heavily populated string of cities one after the other, where distinct cities are not as a relevant as the whole. So Philadelphia/Delaware Valley isn't all that much different than sprawling LA in size....The Philadelphia Phillies won a World Series in 2008, and the lakers last won an NBA Championship in 2010, which isn't much different in terms of years from now. The Phillies are the stepchildren of the city, where the NHL seems to be even more popular. The Lakers have been irrelevant for a while now, yet they get the lion's share of coverage, along with the freaking Clippers, followed by the Dodgers. even the Kings are an afterthought after winning two Stanley Cups in the last few years. Being winner aside from the NBA, just makes you the tallest midget in a world pf pygmies in LA, which is fukking sad.

Well then are you claiming that the Rams have little chance of breaking through in LA? The NFL is at the height of its popularity if not on the down side so if there was a time to break through for the Rams it would be now. Otherwise that new stadium is going to known more for other events.....maybe even Chargers games.:fuelfire:

Obviously I never wanted them to move from St. Louis.....and the media aspect of it never occurred to me since I thought it would be a given in LA. But I too was surprised when I tried and couldn't find consistent reporting or discussion of substance about the Rams once they moved to LA. In St. Louis the baseball Cardinals did buy into their own station for 5 years but realized the other stations in town still gave great coverage of the team and moving back to KMOX (a real clear channel) allowed the games at night to be heard free throughout most of the nation. Whether the Rams could make owning a station work for them while starting at the bottom of the LA sports interest pile is another thing entirely.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Ok, so I'm an LA native and love listening to everything Rams related. However apparently our official Rams sports talk radio doesn't share my enthusiasm when it comes to the Rams. I would say they talk 90% NBA, 5% Baseball, 3% Hockey, 2% Rams. I CAN'T STAND IT! I miss STL radio where they would spend hours going over game film, OTA's, Mini camps etc. I think AM570 Talks more Rams even tho they are the official Chargers station.

Is there another talk show/Radio station/pod cast that I can listen to weekly to avoid hearing about crap I don't care about? I swear if I hear them talk about who the Lakers might draft or something about Jerry West I'm gonna stab my ears with sharpened pencils.

:banghead:
Don't panic....When training camp starts (July 26th) ESPN LA 710 Los Angeles shift focus to Rams coverage.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well then are you claiming that the Rams have little chance of breaking through in LA? The NFL is at the height of its popularity if not on the down side so if there was a time to break through for the Rams it would be now. Otherwise that new stadium is going to known more for other events.....maybe even Chargers games.:fuelfire:

Obviously I never wanted them to move from St. Louis.....and the media aspect of it never occurred to me since I thought it would be a given in LA. But I too was surprised when I tried and couldn't find consistent reporting or discussion of substance about the Rams once they moved to LA. In St. Louis the baseball Cardinals did buy into their own station for 5 years but realized the other stations in town still gave great coverage of the team and moving back to KMOX (a real clear channel) allowed the games at night to be heard free throughout most of the nation. Whether the Rams could make owning a station work for them while starting at the bottom of the LA sports interest pile is another thing entirely.

You overestimate Charger love in LA. They may be saved from humiliation by playing in such a small venue the next few years, but believe me as a former Angeleno, no one gives a flying fukk about the Chargers with any passion....This is not true for the Rams, since there a is a small core still. Now the bandwagoners fill out the stadiums, who will come only in the good times. We will have to disagree about breaking through I guess, or what that means.

Yes, I can't find any station worth a damn in LA, and 101ESPN is greatly missed by me, which is why I said a company bought station as a possible solution (?). I pretty much rely Miles Simmons, DMarco and the Rams channel for info. I know he is a hater now, but I miss the old Fast Lane show that remember a year before the move decision. Used to love Randy Karraker, D'Marco, and the smart assed guy whose name I can't remember (former Card?). I don't miss Bernie M, that sorry bastid!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Not a chance that 710 talks hockey more than they talk Rams... They do talk a lot about the NBA, but it makes sense. It was the NBA playoffs, and there's tons of rumors about the Lakers right now, and LA is and will be (for a long time) ultimately a basketball town... Rams will need to win more to get more coverage.

That said, when something happens with the Rams it's all they talk about. They interrupted an interview with Dean Spanos after they announced the Chargers were moving to LA to break and discuss the Rams hiring Sean McVay.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a chance that 710 talks hockey more than they talk Rams... They do talk a lot about the NBA, but it makes sense. It was the NBA playoffs, and there's tons of rumors about the Lakers right now, and LA is and will be (for a long time) ultimately a basketball town... Rams will need to win more to get more coverage.

That said, when something happens with the Rams it's all they talk about. They interrupted an interview with Dean Spanos after they announced the Chargers were moving to LA to break and discuss the Rams hiring Sean McVay.
Well, I can't listen all day and I RARELY heard anything Rams. I'd hear more Raiders crap than Rams, which pissed me the %^&@ off! I think it's Mychal Thompson that was always indifferent about the Rams, and probably passive agressive hostile about our team because he wanted the Raiders back instead of the Rams.. I heard one too many comments from him and I quit listening to the station....oh and the former Niner that always has something negative to say about the team (frizzy hair dude..) as a Rams "analyst." I was generally for the Rams move back to LA, even though St Louis was closer me to now than LA (I live 450 miles from St Louis), but I can say I miss the daily coverage of the team, whether they were good or bad from 101ESPN.

Last edited:

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Well, I can't listen all day and I RARELY heard anything Rams. I'd hear more Raiders crap than Rams, which ticked me the %^&@ off! I think it's Mychal Thompson that was always indifferent about the Rams, and probably passive agressive hostile about our team because he wanted the Raiders back instead of the Rams.. I heard one too many comments from him and I quit listening to the station....oh and the former Niner that always has something negative to say about the team (frizzy hair dude..) as a Rams "analyst." I was generally for the Rams move back to LA, even though St Louis was closer me to now than LA (I live 450 miles from St Louis), but I can say I miss the daily coverage of the team, whether they were good or bad from 101ESPN.
ESPNLA 710AM is contractually obligated to cover as the Rams’ official home and flagship radio partner. Over the next month , and leading up to training camp, NFL Teams-players are off = very little NFL Network National-local coverage.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ESPNLA 710AM is contractually obligated to cover as the Rams’ official home and flagship radio partner. Over the next month , and leading up to training camp, NFL Teams-players are off = very little NFL Network National-local coverage.
They are the most unsatisfying "home" radio station on the planet, imho.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Unless the NFL is the sole sports option in a city it is difficult to maintain interest throughout the year and that goes for during the season too though obviously you have the next opponent to talk about and injuries etc. This time of year there isn't anything of real substance to discuss that hasn't been rehashed over and over. Other sports have long seasons of games while the NFL has a short season with a long week between games. That is very difficult to maintain for radio for one team, especially a 4-12 team of dismal recent history.

All those sports entertainment options in LA are competing and this team won't compete unless they win. Such is the price of LA. I haven't seen any JT Q&As in quite a while so I guess St. Louis radio has more or less flipped the team off? It is sad because I used to enjoy listening to 101 FM with Bernie, Randy, DeMarco etc. as well as Bryan Burwell on another station. As mentioned before the Rams may have to buy their own station if they want to be the main focus on a radio frequency.
Well ... I can agree about Listening to Randy - DeMarco and the Late Bryan Burwell, But NEVER Bernie!!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
570am talks more about the Rams than 710

Coverage of the Rams seems to take a back seat to the Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Angels, Kings and Ducks.

Fred Roggin seems to be the only one who brings Vinny B on and get a few minutes of his time talking about the Rams and that will be it for the day.