Somebody convince me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I remember going into that Arizona game at home how I felt about the Rams. We came off consecutive shutout thrashings. We won 3 out of the last 4, manhandling Peyton Manning and the Broncos in the process. Lost a tough one on the road to a good Chargers team. A game we shoulda won. Things were looking up. We were that team no playoff contender wanted to play. An ascending young team ready to close out the season strong and take that into 2015. We had two home games coming up that we felt were more than a little winnable. I haven't had that kind of excitement in years.

But alas, it wasn't to be. We limped into the offseason licking our wounds. Beat down by 3 consecutive losses. I can see the final game in Seattle. Who can win there? But Arizona was reeling, losing their starting quarterback. Heck, that would be their last win of the season. And the Giants were 5-9 going into that game. On top of that, both games were home games for us. That left a bad taste and it stills tastes bad. It doesn't matter what moves they make now. The doubts keep creeping in telling me "Yeah, not bad but its till the same ole Rams".

I see a lot of optimism on the board. Is it the usual offseason kool aid that fans have this time of year? I mean, who can say anyone's wrong this time of year? Or are we really on the verge of something? The way they ended the season really ruined the optimism for me. And the moves they've made so far look like the kind of moves a team makes when they're rebuilding and not looking to make a move this coming season. They're going into the season with a lot of inexperience on the offensive line. Their number one pick may not be ready till midway through the season. All we have that looks like a real contender is defense. And last year that defense was inconsistent. Ended up in the middle of the pack when all was said and done.

Somebody convince we there is real optimism for 2015. So far, the doubts have been outweighing any optimism I can muster. Are we really an ascending team? Or was that little stretch we had last year fool's gold?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
All we have that looks like a real contender is defense. And last year that defense was inconsistent. Ended up in the middle of the pack when all was said and done.

The D will be in their second season with GW as DC. Pretty much the same players will be returning so they should hit the ground running from the first game on. We have very good ST's. That's two out of three components that are good or even excellent. The O, as always, is the mystery.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You have every right to go into this season with healthy skepticism. When was the last time you were rewarded for being optimistic about the team's potential during the off-season? But if you want legitimate reasons for ramping up your expectations, I can give you a few.

1. There's been a change (an overhaul, really) at the most important position on the team (QB).
2. We drafted arguably the best RB to come along in a decade and already have a pretty good stable of RBs to complement him.
3. We retained all of our receivers and the marching orders have been to make it easier on them in terms of understanding what to do.
4. Out with the old, in with the new (OL). If this line can find some early chemistry and continuity, it could end that saga in Rams history.
5. The defense is no longer learning, and all of the key starters are returning. No more assimilation. Just annihilation.
6. Special teams are arguably the best in the league, and nothing has happened to reverse that trend.
7. Fisher has to be feeling the heat right now, so there could be more emphasis on micromanagement.
8. Our first game against SEA is one where there is no tape to prepare, and we always play them very tough. This will be a street fight. Nothing less.
9. Chris Long, Nick Fairley, Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn.

10. The days of this shit ......... are over.

St_Louis_Rams_Logo26.jpg

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The D will be in their second season with GW as DC. Pretty much the same players will be returning so they should hit the ground running from the first game on. We have very good ST's. That's two out of three components that are good or even excellent. The O, as always, is the mystery.

I won't argue how good the defense can be. They can be an elite unit. Even as good as the Seahawks were their superbowl winning year. But one thing they cannot do is start slow. The offense will likely be a similar one to the last 3 years as far as production. The defense has to be good from day one in order to have a chance.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Second season with Greg Williams? An offensive line that isn't made up of injury-prone retreads, that actually has young quality depth? The deepest defensive line in the game today? Adding another capable linebacker in Ayers and a full season of Mark Barron? The growth of players like Donald, Gaines, Joyner, Robinson, Austin, Bailey, and Quick?

I'll be honest; I don't think that we're going to take the division crown from Seattle just yet. But a winning record for the first time in more than a decade? That's absolutely doable.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
You have every right to go into this season with healthy skepticism. When was the last time you were rewarded for being optimistic about the team's potential during the off-season? But if you want legitimate reasons for ramping up your expectations, I can give you a few.

1. There's been a change (an overhaul, really) at the most important position on the team (QB).
2. We drafted arguably the best RB to come along in a decade and already have a pretty good stable of RBs to complement him.
3. We retained all of our receivers and the marching orders have been to make it easier on them in terms of understanding what to do.
4. Out with the old, in with the new (OL). If this line can find some early chemistry and continuity, it could end that saga in Rams history.
5. The defense is no longer learning, and all of the key starters are returning. No more assimilation. Just annihilation.
6. Special teams are arguably the best in the league, and nothing has happened to reverse that trend.
7. Fisher has to be feeling the heat right now, so there could be more emphasis on micromanagement.
8. Our first game against SEA is one where there is no tape to prepare, and we always play them very tough. This will be a street fight. Nothing less.
9. Chris Long, Nick Fairley, Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn.

10. The days of this crap ......... are over.

St_Louis_Rams_Logo26.jpg

One thing that has been on the back of my mind, and probably a lot of others too. Are they really going to be a lame duck team? And would a playoff team make it harder for Stan to move his team? What if they play well and attendance is good because of that?

They did not sign any vet players at very important positions, the offensive line. Is that part of a strategy to use 2015 as the learning curve so they'll be ready to step up in 2016, in LA? Or do they really think this team is a legit contender as is? I honestly didn't think they needed much aside from the line, but they only addressed it in the draft. Which usually means they need more time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
One thing that has been on the back of my mind, and probably a lot of others too. Are they really going to be a lame duck team? And would a playoff team make it harder for Stan to move his team? What if they play well and attendance is good because of that?
I don't worry about that, and I don't think the players do either. Their pride and motivation is directly tied to who they face week in and week out and how they fare in those contests.

They did not sign any vet players at very important positions, the offensive line. Is that part of a strategy to use 2015 as the learning curve so they'll be ready to step up in 2016, in LA? Or do they really think this team is a legit contender as is? I honestly didn't think they needed much aside from the line, but they only addressed it in the draft. Which usually means they need more time.
I don't think going the expensive free agent route on the line was necessarily a recipe for success either. Granted, gambling on such a young line comes with an inherent risk/reward investment, but it can't possibly be any worse than banking on the health of guys like Long and Wells while signing retreads like Joseph. And when you consider that Cignetti is going to allegedly *simplify* the offense, maybe we're just intending to line up and punch people in the mouth. No better way to do that than with big strong bodies with fresh legs and tons of stamina.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Second season with Greg Williams? An offensive line that isn't made up of injury-prone retreads, that actually has young quality depth? The deepest defensive line in the game today? Adding another capable linebacker in Ayers and a full season of Mark Barron? The growth of players like Donald, Gaines, Joyner, Robinson, Austin, Bailey, and Quick?

I'll be honest; I don't think that we're going to take the division crown from Seattle just yet. But a winning record for the first time in more than a decade? That's absolutely doable.

I would like to go into December in a position where we control our own destiny. Where if we win the last few games we're in. Not in a position where we need several different things to happen and the odds of that are 100 to 1. Thats all anyone can ask.

MauiRam

Rookie

St_Louis_Rams_Logo26.jpg

Number 4 is the key. It is a huge if! Our season will go as our O-line goes. With luck, Nick Foles will be available for 16 games - what a novel concept - the Rams having one quarterback play sixteen consecutive games!

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I thought X said it well.
I'll add IMHO it will all come down to the OL and coaching. Fisher needs to have a disciplined team and have proper clock management, the OC needs to design and call competent plays and adjust during the course of the game, and the OL needs to jell fast and perform well.

FRO

Legend
We are a better team than last year, but we still aren't a playoff team. I think the 2016 Rams will be a playoff team. The line will be too inexperienced at the onset of the year to be a playoff team, but we will be much better for it in 2016. We have to bite the bullet now, but the young investment in our line will play big dividends long term.

My questions are what Foles are we getting? Will Quick pick up where he left off or is his shoulder ruined? Can our defense show up week one? They haven't the last two years. Can we finally avoid injuries? We have to be cursed in that department.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We lost several games last year on bad QB play alone, we have a legit starter now.

The defense SHOULD pick up where it left off in the 2nd half of the season.

Those two things alone should make us a borderline playoff team.

MrMotes

Starter
Convince you of the future? That seems like a fool's errand. None of us know what will actually happen. That's most of the fun of it.

But if you want a prediction, i think Nick Fairly is going to be a beast for us...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have every right to go into this season with healthy skepticism. When was the last time you were rewarded for being optimistic about the team's potential during the off-season?

When has being pessimistic ever been rewarded?

I guess I don't understand why any person would want to be a "skeptic" or "pessimist" or a "realist" when you gain nothing from it.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I thought X said it well.
I'll add IMHO it will all come down to the OL and coaching. Fisher needs to have a disciplined team and have proper clock management, the OC needs to design and call competent plays and adjust during the course of the game, and the OL needs to jell fast and perform well.

In regard to the OL the coaches need to identify the positions that each of the rookies will be and then let them learn that one position be it guard or tackle.

I get why Robinson was asked to learn guard and tackle in camp but I'd like to see clear definition for each of the new guys to give them the best chance going forward.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What excites me is the change at QB, offensive coordinator, & the team finally deciding upon an identity on offense.

All they need now is one of those lucky seasons where there are few injuries like teams can have from time to time.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Reasons for optimism, first, the talent level we have on this team----we actually have a very talented roster, which means we not only have some very good starters but depth as well. We have a number of guys who were drafted in rounds 1 - 3 over the past few years. Most of our starters have already been starters in an NFL game, so we also have experience. We still have some guys who still have a lot of potential, which means they can still prove to be very good players in the league. We have four qbs on the roster----3 that have won games in the NFL and one guy who played in the pro bowl; the rookie qb on the roster is practically a clone of our starter. Offensively-----which has been the biggest weakness for our team----we've seen a complete overhaul; new coordinator, new qb coach(es), upgraded the rb position, and we will simplify the scheme. While the ol still has to work itself out, we're going into camp with 3 quality starters------yes, I'm including Big Rob as a quality starter-----and with the competition for the other spots, I'm confident whoever emerges on top will at least be competent players. We have a great weapons with our kicking game-----a pro bowler and a guy who's capable of winning games with 60yd fg. Defensively we may only have one new starter, unless we upgrade at positions from last year. We've seen what this defense can do in a NFL game against good competition and now we're in the 2nd year with a top coordinator.
This year this team will be good.
Finally, remember, we're not going to win every game, make every tackle, catch every pass, or score every possession-----don't be discouraged by that, no team in the NFL will.

FrankenRam

Starter

They did not sign any vet players at very important positions, the offensive line. Is that part of a strategy to use 2015 as the learning curve so they'll be ready to step up in 2016, in LA?......

To the bolded part, the key word is....YET. I would not be the least surprised to see a vet signing at some point between now and the start of training camp. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part because the thought of starting 2 rookies on the OL plus a still learning GRob at LT makes me nervous.

And....I don't think anything that happens re: player acquisition and/or anything that occurs on the field has diddly squat to do with any potential move to LA.

Players play to win.....when it's 3rd & 10 in the 4th qtr of the last game of the year, down by a field goal, and a playoff spot is on the line, I don't think there's a single player dressed for the game or a coach on the sideline who's thinking....'Oh gee, if we win this game and make the playoffs, it sure is gonna be tough for Silent Stan to move us to LA. I better do something stupid now.'

And no, I don't think SK sends a 'Lose This Game' decree down to Fisher from his owner's box.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

F*%K Seattle!! This is our division now!

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
If this team stays healthy at qb and ol, this is a playoff team. Most experts believe that as well. This team has been held back by having to play backup qbs for the better part of the last two seasons. I don't think many other NFL teams hover around .500 having to do that. The talent is there for this team. Just need some health. This is also a battle hardened team by having to play in the toughest division in the league. This is a team now that people would rather not have to face. And outside of Rams fans, most people don't really know how talented this team is. We are on the cusp of the playoffs. Also, we have good people making personnel decisions.