Somebody convince me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Even the Chinese Calendar says it's our year!

I'm ALL IN, Baby!!!

Ram65

Legend
I believe the Rams can win in any given week because they now have the talent to do so. The question now is can they win consistently. I don't know but that's the fun of it. Last year the Rams offensive line was dominated by the Cardinals. That was the difference in winning and losing. Let's see the young studs at least play them even this year.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Optimism (or pessimism) is a state of mind. It has nothing to do with the team's ability or their destiny for 2015. "On the verge of something" could mean 8-8 to some, 9-7 to others, or playoffs to others still. All three haven't been seen in St. Louis since at least 2004.

Optimism? I've heard the defense described as (and believe I've seen with my own eyes) "playoff caliber" and since you need a good defense to make it to the postseason and win there, I feel good about them. You also seem to need a good running game and they have certainly aimed to improve that aspect of the offense. Alas you need good QB play but I think the moves there are a wash.....the move was made more for health than talent.

Optimistic? Sure.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I won't argue how good the defense can be. They can be an elite unit. Even as good as the Seahawks were their superbowl winning year. But one thing they cannot do is start slow. The offense will likely be a similar one to the last 3 years as far as production. The defense has to be good from day one in order to have a chance.
Have not looked at replys,but the offense is going to be the big difference this season.It's not about that $85 million missing piece.
Yeah-It could be scary,especially with a young OL starting the season against the SuperBowl Hawks.I think there has to be a little concern,but I'm excited about the youthfulness of the offensive side & OC.
Nick Foles in Horns is a huge change.When have The Rams had a proven starting QB in ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
To the bolded part, the key word is....YET. I would not be the least surprised to see a vet signing at some point between now and the start of training camp. Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part because the thought of starting 2 rookies on the OL plus a still learning GRob at LT makes me nervous.

And....I don't think anything that happens re: player acquisition and/or anything that occurs on the field has diddly squat to do with any potential move to LA.

Players play to win.....when it's 3rd & 10 in the 4th qtr of the last game of the year, down by a field goal, and a playoff spot is on the line, I don't think there's a single player dressed for the game or a coach on the sideline who's thinking....'Oh gee, if we win this game and make the playoffs, it sure is gonna be tough for Silent Stan to move us to LA. I better do something stupid now.'

And no, I don't think SK sends a 'Lose This Game' decree down to Fisher from his owner's box.
Don't know what Stan has to do with anything ??
OL--is of concern,but I'm all for numbers.Glad the cap space got spread.I'm wondering about Nick Foles getting an extension.That is key to future,or Mannion ??
I feel real good about all the defensive moves.Barron,Tru,JJ all playing for new contracts.Ogletree won't be lost from start.
--As a draft net type Farley & Akers are veterans that are going to make a serious impact on the defensive depth charts.They are both still ascending players coming into there prime.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I remember going into that Arizona game at home how I felt about the Rams. We came off consecutive shutout thrashings. We won 3 out of the last 4, manhandling Peyton Manning and the Broncos in the process. Lost a tough one on the road to a good Chargers team. A game we shoulda won. Things were looking up. We were that team no playoff contender wanted to play. An ascending young team ready to close out the season strong and take that into 2015. We had two home games coming up that we felt were more than a little winnable. I haven't had that kind of excitement in years.

But alas, it wasn't to be. We limped into the offseason licking our wounds. Beat down by 3 consecutive losses. I can see the final game in Seattle. Who can win there? But Arizona was reeling, losing their starting quarterback. Heck, that would be their last win of the season. And the Giants were 5-9 going into that game. On top of that, both games were home games for us. That left a bad taste and it stills tastes bad. It doesn't matter what moves they make now. The doubts keep creeping in telling me "Yeah, not bad but its till the same ole Rams".

I see a lot of optimism on the board. Is it the usual offseason kool aid that fans have this time of year? I mean, who can say anyone's wrong this time of year? Or are we really on the verge of something? The way they ended the season really ruined the optimism for me. And the moves they've made so far look like the kind of moves a team makes when they're rebuilding and not looking to make a move this coming season. They're going into the season with a lot of inexperience on the offensive line. Their number one pick may not be ready till midway through the season. All we have that looks like a real contender is defense. And last year that defense was inconsistent. Ended up in the middle of the pack when all was said and done.

Somebody convince we there is real optimism for 2015. So far, the doubts have been outweighing any optimism I can muster. Are we really an ascending team? Or was that little stretch we had last year fool's gold?
I can't generate optimism for you, our offensive line is just too young. About the only thing I can say with any certainty is that the offense will start out a little slow.

I'll also say that our defense should be even better than last year, with ups and downs like every other defense in the league, but they're going to be really good.

There will always be fun aspects to watch with this team, things to get excited about, but this isn't the year for everything to come together in my humble opinion.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just playing devil's advocate here... don't throw a rock at me...

You have every right to go into this season with healthy skepticism. When was the last time you were rewarded for being optimistic about the team's potential during the off-season? But if you want legitimate reasons for ramping up your expectations, I can give you a few.

1. There's been a change (an overhaul, really) at the most important position on the team (QB).
Yes, so are we getting the 2013 Foles... or the 2014 Foles?
2. We drafted arguably the best RB to come along in a decade and already have a pretty good stable of RBs to complement him.
Yes, but when will he be able to play? And, it is likely it will take some time for him to truly shine... he is, after all, a rookie. Speaking of rookies, it's very possible three of the players along the line will be very inexperienced (or have no NFL experience). The good news is... run blocking is easier than pass blocking, so we have that going for us. And, I agree about our complementing RBs... I like the depth at that position.
3. We retained all of our receivers and the marching orders have been to make it easier on them in terms of understanding what to do.
Yes, but is Quick going to be totally back (both physically and mentally)? Can Austin make a difference this year? Can Britt elevate his game more? You know what I like and have confidence in? The TEs. I hope Cignetti uses them like New England used Gronk and Hernandez. We have two talented, proven TEs... let's really utilize them!
4. Out with the old, in with the new (OL). If this line can find some early chemistry and continuity, it could end that saga in Rams history.
5. The defense is no longer learning, and all of the key starters are returning. No more assimilation. Just annihilation.
I hope so! But, like the OP said - all in, we finished middle of the pack. Now, I am not diminishing these two efforts one bit (pitching back-to-back shut-outs in the NFL is a real accomplishement) but... it was Oakland and Washington... two very bad teams with no QB. After those two games, I was really believing... then came the Giants and a pretty good QB (and, as it turned out an outstanding WR) and that one hurt. Then, there was that last game. 132 yards given up on the ground and 239 in the air. 354 is not elite.
Got to come out strong and stay consistent... especially against the good QBs (yes, they manhandled Peyton... but then got beat up by Eli). Just need consistency there.

6. Special teams are arguably the best in the league, and nothing has happened to reverse that trend.
Agree! Need GZ to really be on his game with the new extra point rule.
7. Fisher has to be feeling the heat right now, so there could be more emphasis on micromanagement.
I disagree here. Fisher is giving no indications that he is feeling any heat and the off season proves that, IMO. If he was feeling heat, he'd act more desperately... drafting a #1 pick knowing he won't start for a while.... basically making no free agent moves to shore up the Oline... instead going with lots of inexperience (caveat: that could change and I am really hoping it will with some acquisitions via cuts by other teams). I just don't think he's feeling any heat.
8. Our first game against SEA is one where there is no tape to prepare, and we always play them very tough. This will be a street fight. Nothing less.
Having no tape could go either way... I would have preferred an opening game against an AFC opponent, frankly. They kind of have to win this one to build momentum and, of course, you don't want to go down 0-1 in the division off the bat. They haven't proven to be strong starters... the pressure is on immediately to win that one!
9. Chris Long, Nick Fairley, Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn.
As strong as there is in the NFL... as has been said many times, just have to start strong... cannot, under any circumstances, repeat that sack drought of 2014.
10. The days of this crap ......... are over.
This... this... this.. this... and, may I say again, THIS!!!!!

St_Louis_Rams_Logo26.jpg

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If someone wants to be optimistic, a homer, drink the kool aid, etc., then more power to you. Maybe you can handle the disappointment. But some of us have been there done that too many times. And its been going on for a lot longer than the last ten years.

But look at the last ten years. In 2007 I was pretty excited about our chances the way 2006 ended. We know what happened that year. In 2011, again events in the previous year got us excited. Again, they laid an egg. Last year I really thought we had something. It ended up the worst of Fisher's 3 year record.

It gets tiring to get excited this time of year, tell all your friends watch out for the Rams. Only to have them laugh and say "Looks like the same ole sorry ass Rams to me". I'm a bit more careful with my optimism these days. So when they lay the egg, at least I wasn't surprised.
Yeah... call it load leveling if you will.

While I say kudos to those that want to remain optimistic... drink the kool-aid.... (I used to).... I can certainly see why some fans would be more pragmatic in their approach to a new season now-a-days.

You want to know what I DON'T like? Some fans trying to convince other fans how to be a fan. Or, worse yet, suggesting a fan has an agenda because of the way they view their favorite (yes, favorite) team.

To each, his own.

Be a fan however you feel most comfortable... you wouldn't be on this board contributing if you weren't a Rams fan (except, of course, for that Cowgirl fan and a few others who wander in here because their fan base is weak and they are lonely :p:whistle::);))

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just playing devil's advocate here... don't throw a rock at me...
You're getting the 2015 Foles. The one who's going to put those two years behind him and focus on executing this offense with surgical precision.

Yes, but when will he be able to play? And, it is likely it will take some time for him to truly shine... he is, after all, a rookie. Speaking of rookies, it's very possible three of the players along the line will be very inexperienced (or have no NFL experience). The good news is... run blocking is easier than pass blocking, so we have that going for us. And, I agree about our complementing RBs... I like the depth at that position.
He'll play when he's medically cleared to play, and then he's going to run roughshod over every opponent.

Yes, but is Quick going to be totally back (both physically and mentally)? Can Austin make a difference this year? Can Britt elevate his game more? You know what I like and have confidence in? The TEs. I hope Cignetti uses them like New England used Gronk and Hernandez. We have two talented, proven TEs... let's really utilize them!
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
YES.
Yes.

I hope so! But, like the OP said - all in, we finished middle of the pack. Now, I am not diminishing these two efforts one bit (pitching back-to-back shut-outs in the NFL is a real accomplishement) but... it was Oakland and Washington... two very bad teams with no QB. After those two games, I was really believing... then came the Giants and a pretty good QB (and, as it turned out an outstanding WR) and that one hurt. Then, there was that last game. 132 yards given up on the ground and 239 in the air. 354 is not elite.

Don't you worry your pretty little head about last year. Every team has losses that should have been wins, and we had our share of them for sure. But that comes with the territory when you're fielding young teams learning new defenses without their starting QB. So I refer you back to my original decree. No assimilation - just annihilation.

Got to come out strong and stay consistent... especially against the good QBs (yes, they manhandled Peyton... but then got beat up by Eli). Just need consistency there.
We'll be more consistent. Again. Your pretty head shouldn't worry so much.

He'll be fine. He got inside his own head once last year, but the rest of the time he was money.

I disagree here. Fisher is giving no indications that he is feeling any heat and the off season proves that, IMO. If he was feeling heat, he'd act more desperately... drafting a #1 pick knowing he won't start for a while.... basically making no free agent moves to shore up the Oline... instead going with lots of inexperience (caveat: that could change and I am really hoping it will with some acquisitions via cuts by other teams). I just don't think he's feeling any heat.
Not feeling external heat. Feeling the heat of his diminishing reputation. He'll have an INTERNAL fire this time around. I feel it.

Having no tape could go either way... I would have preferred an opening game against an AFC opponent, frankly. They kind of have to win this one to build momentum and, of course, you don't want to go down 0-1 in the division off the bat. They haven't proven to be strong starters... the pressure is on immediately to win that one!
That's what I said. No tape (for either team), so it'll be reduced to a street fight to begin, and then adjustments on the fly. Which of these two coaches (Fisher or Carroll) has the ability to catch another team off-guard? Don't worry about previous slow starts. This is 2015.

As strong as there is in the NFL... as has been said many times, just have to start strong... cannot, under any circumstances, repeat that sack drought of 2014.
You do want your head to stay pretty, right? So .... stop worrying. We got this.

I see we have an accord on something! lol.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Optimism this time of year is about all Rams fans have had to look fwd to over the last decade +, lolz. Why would you deny yourself the sweet, sweet nectar of hope and faith in your teams off season moves and acquisitions? If 1999 taught us anything, it is that ANYTHING can happen with a few key FA signings and some good drafting. Again, no point in being anything other than pumped at this point. There will be plenty of time to piss and moan and be miserable if the Rams come out and lay an egg come September. For now though....pass that sweet, sweet nectar.....

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're getting the 2015 Foles. The one who's going to put those two years behind him and focus on executing this offense with surgical precision.

He'll play when he's medically cleared to play, and then he's going to run roughshod over every opponent.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
YES.
Yes.

Don't you worry your pretty little head about last year. Every team has losses that should have been wins, and we had our share of them for sure. But that comes with the territory when you're fielding young teams learning new defenses without their starting QB. So I refer you back to my original decree. No assimilation - just annihilation.

We'll be more consistent. Again. Your pretty head shouldn't worry so much.

He'll be fine. He got inside his own head once last year, but the rest of the time he was money.

Not feeling external heat. Feeling the heat of his diminishing reputation. He'll have an INTERNAL fire this time around. I feel it.

That's what I said. No tape (for either team), so it'll be reduced to a street fight to begin, and then adjustments on the fly. Which of these two coaches (Fisher or Carroll) has the ability to catch another team off-guard? Don't worry about previous slow starts. This is 2015.

You do want your head to stay pretty, right? So .... stop worrying. We got this.

I see we have an accord on something! lol.
I feel so much better. Thanks, doc!!
(I'm not sure what to say about the pretty little head comments... I think I'm scared? :))

ram007

Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/24/memorial-day-nfl-veterans-tom-brady-deflategate/5/

"1. I think the Giants are fooling themselves if they think the pectoral muscle injury suffered by left tackle Will Beatty, which reportedly could keep him out until at least October, won’t have huge ramifications. Beatty had developed himself into a very capable left tackle, and now the Giants are left with either Justin Pugh (who underwhelmed so much at right tackle he had been penciled in at guard ) or Ereck Flowers, the ninth overall pick out of Miami earlier this month. I recently spent the weekend at the Coaches of Offensive Line (COOL) Clinic in Cincinnati, and the reviews on Flowers were not good. “Some of the worst technique I’ve ever seen in a player drafted that high,” said one veteran NFL line coach. “He played for one of the best coaches, Art Kehoe, and his technique was terrible,” said another coach. “That tells me he doesn’t take coaching well. That’s a big problem because all of the recent tackles have struggled making the transition. It now takes them until Year 3. You can thank the spread and the [collective bargaining agreement] for that.”

if above is true...:palm: ..SMH

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I actually convinced myself that Tony Banks was a good QB.
Me too...Did he play too soon? Was he ruined by the exceptionally poor play around him? We'll never know...The Ravens couldn't fix whatever was wrong with him on a Super Bowl team....

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/24/memorial-day-nfl-veterans-tom-brady-deflategate/5/

"1. I think the Giants are fooling themselves if they think the pectoral muscle injury suffered by left tackle Will Beatty, which reportedly could keep him out until at least October, won’t have huge ramifications. Beatty had developed himself into a very capable left tackle, and now the Giants are left with either Justin Pugh (who underwhelmed so much at right tackle he had been penciled in at guard ) or Ereck Flowers, the ninth overall pick out of Miami earlier this month. I recently spent the weekend at the Coaches of Offensive Line (COOL) Clinic in Cincinnati, and the reviews on Flowers were not good. “Some of the worst technique I’ve ever seen in a player drafted that high,” said one veteran NFL line coach. “He played for one of the best coaches, Art Kehoe, and his technique was terrible,” said another coach. “That tells me he doesn’t take coaching well. That’s a big problem because all of the recent tackles have struggled making the transition. It now takes them until Year 3. You can thank the spread and the [collective bargaining agreement] for that.”

if above is true...:palm: ..SMH
Huh? Wrong thread maybe? I've done that a few times...Or how does this relate, think most of our OL rookies come from a traditional offense...Louisville & Wisconsin definitely use pro-style concepts....

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc

Don't you just hate nitpickers and Freud. Are we looking at a Rams team, a bitter fruit, very lovely but impossible to eat (quince) or after years and decades of ineptitude we finally can slake(quench) our thirst. Not contesting your loyalty nor syntax. I think we are all there. So very long not as an also ran but as laughing stock.
We Rams fans know the long haul, only to see our team look at a new suitor. What kind of Karma is that? If we only have this season then I will drink cool water.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Don't you just hate nitpickers and Freud. Are we looking at a Rams team, a bitter fruit, very lovely but impossible to eat (quince) or after years and decades of ineptitude we finally can slake(quench) our thirst. Not contesting your loyalty nor syntax. I think we are all there. So very long not as an also ran but as laughing stock.
We Rams fans know the long haul, only to see our team look at a new suitor. What kind of Karma is that? If we only have this season then I will drink cool water.

I'm impressed you caught that...Nice! :bow: