Some Steelers Fans Want Mark Barron Fined

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The ultimate irony, you know damned well if it was Harrison hitting Foles on a play and the injury happened they'd be crying to anybody who would listen that it was clean and warranted no penalty or fine. There was nothing wrong with the play.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'll say this, I think he should have been penalized. It was an illegal hit for all i could see. That said, I don't think Barron is at all a dirty player and by no means did he purposely hurt Ben. It's just unfortunate and I fully believe that Tomlin would have spoke up if he felt it was dirty. I feel for Ben, but them knees are made of glass

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He will be fined and should have been penalized........ Ben was in the pocket in a passing posture......... Rule says he cannot make contact Period below the knee!!!
BS ALERT!! Ben was on the move, you must have had too much to drink, IF you believe he was standing in the pocket, he was on the move!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It was an illegal hit, but I don't think he was doing it with "intent" it looks like he bounced off of another guy and went down from that.

It would have been fair to flag it, but not to fine or suspend.

Meh, this shit happens in football, basketball, soccer, hockey (yawn) and every other sport.

OK well not baseball, but it's not a contact sport.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Bullshit. No way there is a fine on that play, just shit that happens in the course of a game. Steelers fans? Suck it, I hope you lose the next six.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is complete bollocks, the bloke fell into him. No malice was intended at all.

by the use of word bollocks and bloke I knew you were English right away ...I approve

as for steelers fans suck it up its football people get hurt

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rger-i-dont-think-mark-barrons-hit-was-dirty/

Ben Roethlisberger: I don’t think Mark Barron’s hit was dirty
Posted by Josh Alper on September 29, 2015

490331936-e1443536468899.jpg
Getty Images

When Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was asked about the low hit by Rams safety Mark Barron that injured Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, he said he was “not going to be critical of the hit or officiating” because of a league memo reminding teams not to be critical of other teams or officials.

Barron did hit Roethlisberger low, but he didn’t seem to target the knee and Roethlisberger still had the ball so there wasn’t too much to complain about other than the outcome. That seems to be Roethlisberger’s opinion as well. He said Tuesday, via Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL Media, that “I don’t think it was dirty.”

At this point, worrying about the hit is a secondary concern to getting back on the field and Roethlisberger said that there’s no specific timeline yet for that to happen. He said the MCL sprain has to heal for stability and that dealing with the bone bruise on the knee will be about pain tolerance, adding that it “is a lot of pain” right now.

None of that will clear up before Thursday’s game with the Ravens and Roethlisberger wants to be on the sideline to help Michael Vick in his first start with the Steelers. Coach Mike Tomlin has a rule against players on crutches being on the sideline, however, which could stop that from happening if that pain hasn’t subsided in the next 48 hours or so.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
by the use of word bollocks and bloke I knew you were English right away ...I approve

as for steelers fans suck it up its football people get hurt

I tend to post as I would speak, I think the yanks approve although occasionally I've had to translate for them!

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
All of the Steelers fans complaining about this would be saying the exact opposite if Harrison had done this exact thing to Foles.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It was an illegal hit, but I don't think he was doing it with "intent" it looks like he bounced off of another guy and went down from that.

It would have been fair to flag it, but not to fine or suspend.

Meh, this crap happens in football, basketball, soccer, hockey (yawn) and every other sport.

OK well not baseball, but it's not a contact sport.

Just out of curiosity, what was illegal about the hit?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...g-for-mark-barrons-hit-on-ben-roethlisberger/

Report: Fine not coming for Mark Barron’s hit on Ben Roethlisberger
Posted by Mike Florio on September 29, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptg0mtvhmjk0mgy1ndmwztrhyze0y2qwyta0mdjmzguw-e1443552408238.jpeg
AP

On Sunday, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger suffered a knee injury after taking a low hit from Rams safety Mark Barron. Barron wasn’t flagged on the play, and he reportedly won’t be fined.

Per Ed Werder of ESPN, the league office isn’t expected to fine Barron for the low hit.

Dirty or not, the hit from Barron violates the rules. From Rule 12, Section 2, Article 9(e): “A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him.”

So it should have been a foul. And since we often see personal fouls result in fines, why wouldn’t a personal foul that tears up a quarterback’s knee result in a fine?

WvuIN02

Starter
Mike Pereria even said he felt it was an illegal hit. I dont think anyone is really saying it was dirty or malicious though.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...st-louis-rams-mark-barron-mike-pereira-092715

Sorry, but if it was a Steeler player who hit Foles (or imagine if Bradford was still here...)people here would absolutely be saying it was illegal. And you can be damn sure if it was Tom Brady it would have drawn a flag and a fine.

Stel

Starter
Here's a link to the NFL.com video and story. (It's right at the beginning of the video.) Looks to me that he pulled the ball in and started running because of Barron so it shouldn't be a penalty.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...omlin-big-ben-to-be-out-for-a-number-of-weeks

I don't claim to fully understand the rule but it sure looks to me like the QB brought the ball down and was beginning to run forward. He definitely wasn't trying to throw a pass at that point. Once the QB starts to run, isn't he treated just like a running back?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Contact below the knee of the QB is no longer allowed.

The Brady Rule.
The fifth provision of Rule 12, Section 2, Article 12 (roughing the passer)

"A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him."