Some Steelers Fans Want Mark Barron Fined

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Most are quite reasonable on these Steelers forums but for the rest: it's NFL football, people. Injuries happen to every team, even at times to the Rams. No one on this team injures someone on purpose.
********************************************************************************
http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/t...x-amount-of-dollars-from-greg-williams.12415/

Mark Barron wins x amount of dollars from Greg Williams

Now I'm not saying there is fire but there is smoke(hand clapping) so I just have to ask the question is there a bounty to be paid?

In an attempt to make sure everyone gets it

This is a Joke!!!!!!!!! (Giant Smiley Emoticon)
----------
There better be a FINE (or suspension) to be paid.
--------
The clapping was for the sack, not an injury. Players don't applaud injuries. I doubt they realized right away that he was injured. Injuries happen. Baron isn't a dirty player. Remember, we caused the same injury to Palmer. **** happens sometimes, it was nothing more than an accident
--------
Did it ever cross your mind that maybe he was clapping because he just sacked the qb?
-------
I didn't like how the Rams players were claiming it was a turnover repeatedly to the refs, while Ben was very clearly lying on the floor in agony. But maybe they weren't looking.
-------
the dirty player stuff doesn't mean squat. A lot of the guys in NO were stand up guys not looking to hurt anyone but did get caught up in the seemingly fun game with in the game. Get a big hit get some pocket change. I don't think Barron was looking to hurt Ben either but it is a way to laugh about something horrible.
--------
I agree totally. I don't think it was malicious at all.
--------
Oh, I don't think he intended to hurt Ben.

But he did something illegal. He knew it was illegal. And Ben got hurt as a result.
-------
I'm gonna have to watch it again. It looked to me like he tripped and slid in to his knee with this shoulder and wrapped him up. I then just saw Ben laying on the ground holding his leg and didn't see all the ra ra stuff after the play.
-------
Suspensions aren't handed out for isolated plays such as this one. If they were, Harrison would have been suspended numerous times for hitting guys to the head and causing injuries (two Browns players come to mind). What happened today was just a freak play. Hopefully Ben will miss a few weeks and be back to 100%, but there will be no suspension for this play and we both know that
-------
I thought the hit looked like the one KVO put on Palmer too. I'll
betcha no one on the MB thought that was intentional and it wasn't. I think that was before it was a penalty and I agree that a penalty should have been called on the hit today, even if it wasn't intentional.
-------
Of course not. There should be, but there won't. Might not even be a fine. I mean, it's not like it was Pretty Boy Brady or anything...
-------
The hit was a foul but didn't seem malicious. Ben has always been kind of a matador hanging in the pocket the way he does. Very successful but risky.
-------
Baron didn't fall into Ben nor was he pushed - he was on the ground and crawled forward a few hand steps and either grabbed BB's knee or BB ran into him - wasn't clear at that point - but the Kimo rule doesn't have to have intent does it? Only contact with a QB below or at the knee.
-------
I heard them trying to explain the rule on this and it sounded like it was written by some backroom, ambulance chasing, lawyer. It has something to do with the "passing posture" for them to call it. It's ridiculous.
-------
It just seems like they leave enough wiggle room for the refs to have "discretion" and all that. Someone should go and see if they always make sure Brady and Manning are in "passing posture" every time they get hit low.
--------
I have never heard of a guy purposely planning it all out that he was going to fall to his knees 20 feet from the QB and then proceed to bear crawl the rest of the way there in order to take out a guy's leg. Your percentage of success would not be too high in most circumstances.
-------
http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/mark-barron-will-be-fined.12418/

Mark Barron WILL be fined

He will be fined and should have been penalized........ Ben was in the pocket in a passing posture......... Rule says he cannot make contact Period below the knee!!!
-------
I agree with you, but I'd be shocked if anything actually came of it.
-------
Should have been a penalty - if it was against Brady , they call it.
------
Against Brady he's probably ejected.
------
Tomlin said he "didn't have a problem" with the hit. I don't really understand what he means by that. Like did he think it was "legal" but not malicious or what? Did you hear him say that? I just heard them saying he said it on cooler talk.
-------
Actually they said this week that the league sent out a memo telling everyone to shut up about criticizing the refs and other teams. I still think Tomlin would have said what he thought about it regardless though.
-------
I think in the terms of a football play it seemed like it wasn't anything big. Barron was trying to make a play and the unfortunate side effect of the hit was Ben possibly having a knee injury. I don't tomlin thought they were trying to injure Ben
-------
but even as I watch it over, I just see a guy trying to get to Ben and make a play (sack) while on the ground and not giving up on the play. I could be wrong and you could be right.
-------
And I get that he was trying to make a play.

Except you're NOT ALLOWED TO DO THAT. You can't drive your shoulder or helmet into a QBs legs at or below the knee. Period. And every defender knows that.
--------
Mike Pereira
✔@MikePereira

I think the hit that injured #steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger was a foul. Here's why: Via @KFC
---------
Against the rules and a penalty, yes. Dirty? That depends if he did it on purpose. I don't think so. He started stumbling so early, that would be one hell of a plan and one hell of an acting job.
--------
The fine is what it is, I'd be happier seeing the Refs getting something more than a bad report card that potentially disqualifies them from post season work myself. I'd also like to see a live war room in NY where they have league officials and refs ready to make calls to every game if they feel something isn't being caught and addressed like this noncall.
-------
For those saying a penalty or fine makes no difference, I don't think fans are seeking consolation. We're seeking affirmation that the rules in this league are applied equally.

This is the third time that Ben has taken an illegal hit, resulting in injury, that never drew a flag.
-------
Do you guys know who Barron's DC is? Did you all know he was also the guy took out Carson palmers knee last year in a similar move and it ended his season .... Just saying
-------
In fairness, Barron barely touched Palmer. And that was after Palmer was already going down. He didn't hit Palmer's leg at all. Palmer just planted awkwardly, and his knee went out.
---------
Palmer basically killed his knee all by himself. IIRC, Barron basically grabbed his shoulder and Palmer went down clutching his knee.
-------
I bet the tune would change if this happened in a game with New England or Baltimore. Illegal hit resulting in an injury.....that the rules were meant to prevent.....he should be fined. Just because we are indifferent with St. Louis doesn't mean we should just accept it and let the NFL sweep it under the rug.
-------
Agreed.

The double standards are very apparent and not every QB is afforded the same protection. Or maybe Ben isn't just old enough yet, I don't know, I'd have to run that by Ed Hochuli first.

I'm 100% certain that if Marsha Brady took that hit there would have been a flag thrown, and likely a fine for Barron.
-------
http://steelerfury.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4534

hows that not illegal hit.??

dude fucking crawled 3 yards to deliver a cutthroat bullshit hit to ben.. seriously..thought the brady rule covered this shit.. yet no flag..nothing...
icon_cry.gif

dude took him out dirty as fuck!
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it had to be flagged!! why not!!! I watched replay 6 times.. he targeted bens knee!!! whers the brady rule???
--------
I thought by letter of the rule, it's a penalty.

And I hate it. To me that's just a football play. Expecting guys to control their body while flying thru the air is just dumb.
-------
it was a football play. Shit happens. As a defender your scraping and clawing to get to the QB anyway you can. You sound like a Ravens fan.
------
Not intentional and therefore not illegal. We can't as Steeler fans, have it both ways; complaining about how pussified the league has become and then begging for a flag for a legit hit.
-------
There was a rule put in place in the past 5 years that said you can't come in low like that. We've been flagged for that exact play.
-------
Some random Rams fan at the bar today made it a point to tell me he got pushed into Ben. He said, "hey, I don't want you thinking we have a dirty team or anything. I was like, huh?

He just stared at the TV when they showed the replay, I looked over at him and said, you were saying?
-------
I suppose it could have been flagged, but saying it was dirty as fuck, or a cheap shot makes me ill.
-------
Sorry that was a penalty. It really doesn't matter. At that point nothing matters- our franchise player is on the ground. But it should have been 15 yards.
--------
I don't think it was intentional, but it should have been a penalty. It is the Brady rule, simple as that. Whether the guy meant to do it or not, stumbled, whatever.

That said, the rule is stupid to begin with, and only exists because the Great Ball Deflator was hit once.
------
horse shit. that's a penaltiy most of time... if precious payton or adorable tom got hit that way its a penalty..every fucking time.. this was a travesty!
------
dude crawled and crawled more to ram bens knee!! and he rammed.. horse shit! protect the qb??? right
------
he crawled and crawled to try to get Bens leg, sack him, and prevent his opponent from scoring. Ya know, his fucking job!
------
He crawled while unblocked, into Ben's knee.

Not saying he tried to hurt Roethlisberger (possible, but tough to determine) but no doubt whatsoever what he did deserved a flag.
-------
This is my analysis:

Ben is known for extending plays. Because he extends plays, the referees allow him to extend the play. In their minds, he places himself in that situation; as a result the pass rusher is not at fault. They do not categorize him as a "pocket passer" even though he is as good as any in that role. It is a perception the referees have and it is unfortunate.

Ben has been at been at the receiving end of those non-calls for years. Broken noses, injured knees, etc. I don't think the player was intending to hit him that way, he was just trying to get to him in whatever way possible.
-------
Was Ben scrambling or in the grasp? Is it illegal to hit a QB in the pocket below the knee? I think the answer is yes since KVO did the exact same thing to Carson Palmer in 2005 playoff game.

Matters not at this point but it should have been a 15 yard penalty.
--------
I agree and that does annoy me. But a shit call is a shit call and I hate them regardless.
-------
No way was it an intent to injure....was an intent to tackle; that's all.
-------
icon_rolleyes.gif
so the defender has a chance to get Ben by the leg....he's supposed to just stop and let him go ahead and complete the pass. I'm sure he was thinking "fuck i gotta take this fuckers knee out" get real. sober up.
-------
You guys may not believe this and I wish I had posted it last week, but here is a crazy story.

I was in PGH for the 49ers game. Next morning, I returned rental car to Hertz at airport. This guy checks me in - crazy SOB, but interesting guy - we start talking Steelers.

He tells me that an NFL scout who he met at the airport Hertz check in - told him that the Rams were going to try and take Ben out of the game with a low hit - no bullshit. I thought he was fucking crazy so I never thought of it again until today.
-------
It was a low hit. In the course of the game by a guy likely trying to make a play but low nonetheless. By the reading of the rule. Its a penalty. The fact that its a penalty does not mean Ben is no longer hurt. For those remotely surprised we didn't see a flag ... you don't watch many Steelers games. The end.
----------
It most certainly was a penalty. We are lucky it did not cost us the game.

Vick came out and was in a 3rd and forever situation and we went conservative and conceded that we weren't getting the first down. We just wanted to punt and get it over with, didn't want to have Vick try and pick up a 3rd and 22? situation and turn the ball over.

But....What should have happened is that we get a penalty for the low hit on Ben and automatic first down, Vick takes his first snap under center at the 50 yard line and maybe we get a touchdown out of that drive, or a field goal at the least.

By not calling that penalty, the refs really could have cost us the game. Being dirty has nothing to do with, saying the player has no control over his stumbling feet has nothing to do with it, saying it would not bring Ben back healthy, has nothing to do with it. It was a penalty and should have been called.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah, sounds like typical sour grapes to me, looking to place blame somewhere because it's easier than accepting that sometimes this shit just happens and it's just fucked luck.

It's going to persist because of who Williams is, but whatever I could care less what other fans think about our team.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Give me a fucking break. The Steelers have one of the dirtiest players ever on their team in James Harrison. They can eat a dick.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is complete bollocks, the bloke fell into him. No malice was intended at all.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't matter that he hit Ben in the Knee. Ben had already pulled the ball down to run through the hole. I just re-watched it on my GamePass, and confirmed what I saw during the 115 replays they showed during the game. He was absolutely NOT in a passing posture when he was hit, no matter how much the Steeler fans cry about it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...om-nfl-tomlin-wont-complain-about-hit-on-ben/

Citing memo from NFL, Tomlin won’t complain about hit on Ben
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 28, 2015

dc9b69326179befa174fc16ad1ff3a26.jpeg
AP

As PFT reported last week, the league office circulated a memo to all 32 teams reminding coaches and other personnel that they are not to criticize the officials or other teams. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin got the memo.

Tomlin said today that he won’t criticize Rams safety Mark Barron for the hit that knocked Ben Roethlisberger out for 4-6 weeks, nor will he criticize the officials for not throwing a flag on the hit. Tomlin cited the memo from the league as the reason.

“I’m not going to be critical of the hit or of officiating,” said Tomlin. “You guys know we got a letter [from the league office] a week ago stressing not to do that. So I’m not.”

There did not appear to be any ill intent in Barron hitting Roethlisberger, and Roethlisberger still had the ball when he got hit, so Barron wouldn’t have been in violation of the Carson Palmer/Tom Brady rules protecting quarterbacks from getting hit in the knee area after they’ve thrown a pass. Losing Roethlisberger is a rough break for the Steelers, but Tomlin is right not to complain.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/a-tale-of-four-quarterbacks-your-week-3-nfl-wrap/

MCL Hell in Pittsburgh

ben-roethlisberger-tri.jpg
Chris Lee/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/TNS via Getty Images

Before Sunday, it would have been hard to imagine that Steelers fans would be happy to hear that Ben Roethlisberger was going to miss four to six weeks, but after early fears that Roethlisberger suffered a season-ending injury against the Rams, it’s a timeline they’ll happily accept. Pittsburgh’s star quarterback suffered a sprained MCL after a Mark Barron sack yesterday afternoon, an injury that should keep him out for at least one month.

As with any hit that injures a quarterback, Barron’s sack was controversial. Steelers fans were likely angry4 after the fact because Barron hit Roethlisberger below the knees, a violation of the so-called Brady Rule, designed to protect quarterbacks from defenders diving at their knees or legs as Bernard Pollard did when ending Tom Brady’s season in 2008.

I think Barron’s hit was illegal and should have been flagged as a foul, but I don’t think it was deliberately dirty. Watch the play and you’ll see Barron beginning to trip and fall as he approaches the line of scrimmage on his blitz. He’s on his hands and knees crawling at Roethlisberger like a zombie by the time he gets to the quarterback, at which point he clearly hits Roethlisberger below the knee, causing the injury.

Barron had a free path to the passer and his momentum was falling forward toward Roethlisberger; he would have basically had to lie on the ground and let Roethlisberger go right by him to avoid making the hit he made. It’s not as if Barron was running upright and tried to clip Roethlisberger at the ankles. He made the only play he could have made, and that happened to cause an injury. Yes, that play wasn’t legal, but it wasn’t inherently dirty.

Regardless of whether it should have been flagged, the damage is done. The Steelers had their offensive starters miss just seven games in 2014 and fielded the league’s healthiest offense per Adjusted Games Lost, but Roethlisberger’s injury will make him the fourth Steelers offensive starter to miss time in 2015. The Steelers just got Le’Veon Bell back from suspension and will get Martavis Bryant back after Week 4, but Roethlisberger will join center Maurkice Pouncey as a long-term injury absentee. It ends a string of 39 consecutive regular-season starts for Roethlisberger, a remarkable run for a player who made it through 16 games just once during his first nine seasons in the league.

It’s difficult to gauge a more accurate timeline for Roethlisberger’s return because the reports of his injury are still vague. While we found out on Sunday night that Roethlisberger had a sprained MCL, the knee sprain’s severity and degree remain unclear. It’s likely that Roethlisberger is suffering from a second-degree MCL sprain, which has a six-week recovery time frame but often sees NFL players return in two to four weeks.

Roethlisberger has a history of being a quick healer and returning to the field at less than 100 percent, even if it perhaps stands as a detriment to his team’s chances. In 2011, Roethlisberger tried to grit his way through a high ankle sprain without missing any time and played poorly in a 20-3 loss to the 49ers; he took the following week off before returning for a Week 17 game against the Browns, where he again struggled before a third disappointing performance against Tim Tebow and the Broncos in a wild-card loss. Roethlisberger is unquestionably tough and regularly plays through injuries, but rushing him back isn’t in itself a great idea.

It’s a shame, too, because Roethlisberger was playing some of the best football of his career. Through three games, Roethlisberger’s 91.3 QBR was the second-best mark in football behind Aaron Rodgers. Pittsburgh was being slowed down by a very good Rams defense on Sunday, but the bulk of Roethlisberger’s success had come during the first two games, without his star running back or his primary deep threat. The only quarterback in the league who had been throwing his passes farther downfield than Roethlisberger was Carson Palmer, and Roethlisberger was still completing more than 75 percent of his passes before the injury.

He was in control of the offense in a way that replacement Michael Vick simply cannot and will not be. Roethlisberger is a far more accurate passer, even on the bevy of screens the Steelers love to run to set up their throws downfield. Since his rookie season in 2004, Roethlisberger has completed 73.2 percent of his passes that travel no farther than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. That’s the sixth-highest rate among quarterbacks with at least 800 such attempts over that time frame. Vick has picked up 66.4 percent of those same passes, good for 30th over the same time frame.

It might be better if Vick had been a steady backup behind Roethlisberger for years, but that isn’t the case. He only signed with the Steelers on August 25 after longtime reserve Bruce Gradkowski was placed on injured reserve with a dislocated finger. It’s reasonable to question Vick’s work ethic as a backup after the former Falcons star admitted that he wasn’t prepared to come in last October as a backup for the Jets. And that was in a Marty Mornhinweg–led scheme, one Vick was familiar with from his time in Philadelphia. Vick had never worked with offensive coordinator Todd Haley before last month, so it’s fair to say that he’s still learning the nuances of Haley’s scheme. Even beyond the fact that Vick’s legendary physical skills have obviously eroded, it’s hard to expect him to be comfortable in Pittsburgh’s offense, which is likely to get far more vanilla.

There was never going to be a good time for the Steelers to lose their star quarterback, but they’re about to enter a particularly brutal stretch of their schedule. Vick will have a short week to prepare for his starting debut against a desperate Ravens team on Thursday. After that, the Steelers play the Chargers, Cardinals, Chiefs, and Bengals. The move solidifies 3-0 Cincinnati at the top of the division, especially if Roethlisberger doesn’t return in time for its clash with Pittsburgh on November 1. The 0-3 Ravens caught what could be a season-saving break with this injury; they’re already listed as three-point favorites for Thursday night, something that would have been unimaginable with a healthy Roethlisberger in the lineup.

It’s hard to say how much Pittsburgh’s chances will be affected by Roethlisberger’s absence until we know just how long he’ll actually be missing, but it’s fair to say that the Steelers are going to badly miss their star quarterback. What may end up saving their playoff chances may actually be what happened after Roethlisberger went down in the third quarter.

The Steelers led 9-3 at the time and managed to keep that lead, with the Rams seeing their lone drive deep into Pittsburgh territory fall apart with a pair of false starts in the red zone before kicking a field goal. A much-maligned Steelers secondary came up with an interception on a dismal Nick Foles pass before kicking a field goal and promptly forcing the Rams to turn the ball over on downs, ending the game. A 1-2 Steelers team without Roethlisberger and about to face their upcoming schedule would have been dead in the water. At 2-1, they may have banked just enough to keep afloat until Roethlisberger returns, especially if he beats those six-week estimates. It’s a stunning turn of events for a team that before this weekend would have expected — not hoped — to make the playoffs this season, but given how bad things looked while Roethlisberger was writhing on the scorched St. Louis turf, its current situation beats the alternative.

…..

Legend
They seem to e in overwhelming agreement that Barron was just trying to make a play with no ill intent.

Irish

Starter
The hit was completely and totally innocent. Barron didn't appear to want to hurt Big Ben, and if anything, you can't hit a guy like him high anyways because he will just shoulder you off, push you to the ground, and bomb it deep to Brown, so really what would you expect Barron to do?

That being said, if the Rams had as good a shot of winning a Super Bowl as the Steelers did before Big Ben got hurt, you had better believe every single last one of us on this board would want whoever laid the hit to be crucified by the league offices. If anyone knows the pain of loss that is a starting QB going down, its fans of the St. Louis Rams.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I don't even think the hit was illegal. Big Ben was moving forward to step up in the pocket. He was no longer in a throwing stance. Sure, QBs can throw on the run but the rule isn't designed to protect them in that situation. It's for a stationary QB with planted feet.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I could be wrong but the rule as I understand it makes it an illegal hit only if the QB no longer has the ball or is in a throwing motion. Neither was the case here.Just what I read.

If that's the case, this wasn't illegal and obviously not intended.

I'd be upset if I was a Steeler fan for sure but Barron doesn't deserve a fine IMO.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fucking spoiled ass squealer fans.

They should have lost the game too.

#steelerhatersince79

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
ThinkTrent Green had a flashback on that play?