Some post game reflections I’d like to share…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Clearly, any team with a QB like Stafford, an HC like McVay, with players like AD, Kupp, and Jones should NEVER be overlooked. And yet that is exactly what most pundits and many fans have been doing for 6 months.

Stafford is one crafty and deadly effective QB, in case anybody around the league still has any doubts. He’s seldom played better. Any team with such a QB and a HC like McVay is inherently dangerous. He’s at least top 10, and probably better, tbh.

I expected more from Akers but Kyren Williams certainly did not disappoint. Rams running game needs to improve and I think it will as it gels.

What can I say about this Rams OL? I was sure that it would be vastly improved but I assumed that it would require more time before it could dominate. Turns out that even I underestimated them.

I focused on Boom at RG on virtually every snap because I considered him the weakest link and was unconvinced that he was best possible RG. He had his struggles in the first half while missing a couple of second level blocks completely and several times being bent backwards by Seahawk pass rush. But he rapidly improved and I thought had a nice 2nd half. Jury still out for me but I can’t complain, either.

Avila seemed to have a nice game. I’m unaware of any glaring mistakes by him.

I now think that this OL is gonna enable our O to be all it can be, ultimately including a good running attack. This OL seems clearly more physical and today I’m an even bigger fan of coach Wendy. Brilliant hire.

It was great to see McVay utilizing his TE’s more, something we all had hoped for after that draft and camp reports. Jourdan certainly had plenty of hints for us.

About our WR room. It’s deep with high quality players, isn’t it? When Kupp finally gets back it’s gonna be a nightmare to defend. Been saying for a long time that our WR has been underrated.

It was wonderful to see Nacua and Atwell blossom right before our eyes when we needed them the very most. Nacua seems to be a fast learning player, huh? Reminds me a lot of the rookie Kupp in many ways. Could Rams have gotten that lucky? Hot Damn!

It is high time that Ernest Jones should be mentioned in conversations about studs such as the usual suspects. He’s earned it. Rams are gonna be just fine this year at ILB without Bobby Wagner, thank you.

Young and Turner had a few splash plays in their opening debut. Perhaps we’re better off there than I had feared? Wouldn’t surprise me though if Snead makes a move to bring in a tier 2 vet at either position now that 1st game is over and guaranteed salaries are no longer an issue with such signings. This could morph into a playoff worthy team if they keep improving and shoring up weak positions makes a ton of sense to me.

Hoecht is a try hard player and he will give you his best but he is too often a liability in contain and pass D. That position might not get fixed until next year, though. Sigh…

Rozeboom is a weak link. Can Hummel be that much worse?

I had had high hopes for our secondary and they did not disappoint. Especially considering it was opening day and with so many new faces that had not played together in the preseason? Wow! I’m still not sold on Kendrick although he recovered pretty nicely after that Metcalf TD embarrassment. I’m still of the opinion that Tomlinson has the higher ceiling and will become a starter at some point this season.

Maher looks like he will be an adequate PK this year

Ethan Evans has all the potential in the world but he’s still a work in progress. Once he fine tunes his hang time and directional skills he will be a big weapon for us. Frankly, I don’t think that the needed fine tuning will take all that long, either.

Coverage teams need to be improved asap. Biggest weakness on ST right now, don’t you think?

Okay, let’s talk about our coaches. We now see why McVay seemed relatively relaxed all last week, huh? He knew what he had under the hood and was feeling sorta confident, and with good reason.

I can’t say enough about the marvelous job that so many Ram assistants have done already.

LaFleur
Morris (yes, Morris). What a turnaround in aggressiveness after losing so many good players in the offseason.j
Caley
Coniglio
Gould
Coach Henny
Lake
Pleasant
Coach Wendy (one of my new personal favorites, btw)
Yarber

Oh hell, and every other unsung hero among our coaching staff. Quite a collection, don’t you think? And the results from going from ground zero to yesterday’s magnificent effort speaks for itself. I had already been high on these guys but yesterday sealed the deal for me. We are in good hands with these various coaches.

Know what’s exciting? This team is still taking those first baby steps at many positions. Imagine where they might be by mid season.

I see no reason, barring catastrophic injuries, that this team can’t finish with at least a 9 win season. There. I said it.

Thoughts?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
For not practicing much as unit the OL seemed pretty cohesive. Handled stunts well, and knew when to help out on double teams. Not the best day in the run game, but I think they'll improve overall the more they play. Definitely a bigger group than in years past which helps with physicality.

dang

Legend
I did not watch the game but followed on RedZone. My thoughts:
- I expected a lot of heart but not a lot of results. I was ecstatic about the 2nd half results. Check
- I want to see improvement from Game 1 to 17 - so if this is the floor that is good news. TBD
- I expected some gems to be discovered as the season progressed. Looks like we may have more candidates than I thought. TBD
- I expect McVay to have a Plan B when Plan A doesn’t work. Again based on 2nd half results that may be in place. Check

Can’t wait to watch the replay.

jap

Legend
I see no reason, barring catastrophic injuries, that this team can’t finish with at least a 9 win season. There. I said it.

Thoughts?
 Only 9 wins? I see your 9 wins and raise you! :angel:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Great post, @Rams43

So much of what we saw seems sustainable.. lots of great stuff.

But.

I think the edge situation is a major issue. Young is doing pretty well and has so much energy and speed. I had compared him to Ebukam and believed he would be a couple of years ahead of Samson's NFL development and that's what I saw.
But Hoecht isn't good.
They should be calling Dunlap AND Van Noy today.. because this season seems like it could be much better than expected.. and that's the team's glaring weakness.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Great post, @Rams43

But.

I think the edge situation is a major issue. Young is doing pretty well and has so much energy and speed. I had compared him to Ebukam and believed he would be a couple of years ahead of Samson's NFL development and that's what I saw.
But Hoecht isn't good.
They should be calling Dunlap AND Van Noy today.. because this season seems like it could be much better than expected.. and that's the team's glaring weakness.
Hoecht looked strong at the end of the game when he was playing more of a DE role.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Great post, @Rams43

But.

But Hoecht isn't good.

Seahawks lost both tackles in the 2nd half. Cross was completely out of the game and the other guy may have been out entirely or just for a few series, can anyone confirm? Anyways, I think that made a difference in our defensive performance in the 2nd half. Want to see Young clean some stuff up and more pressures from the line. But like the sticky coverage (clean up the penalties) and good tackling.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Great post, @Rams43

But.

But Hoecht isn't good.

I believe Ebukam was less of a speed guy but I wouldn't sneeze at his production out of Young. Still, with Young's speed, there's hope for even more outsized production than that.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I believe Ebukam was less of a speed guy but I wouldn't sneeze at his production out of Young. Still, with Young's speed, there's hope for even more outsized production than that.
I believe Ebukam was every bit as fast.. he was a freak.. but he was not nearly as smooth or instinctive, imo. Started football late.
Ebukam ran a 4.45 at his pro day and Young was a 4.43.. both were listed about 250.

But Young is quite a bit ahead of where Samson was as a rookie, imo. Samson was pretty much just a ST guy.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Seahawks lost both tackles in the 2nd half. Cross was completely out of the game and the other guy may have been out entirely or just for a few series, can anyone confirm? Anyways, I think that made a difference in our defensive performance in the 2nd half. Want to see Young clean some stuff up and more pressures from the line. But like the sticky coverage (clean up the penalties) and good tackling.
I feel pretty good about the secondary... but, yeah.. we HAVE to factor in two starting tackles out. The edge situation just is going to be an issue, imo.

jap

Legend
 The Rams brass has stated that Young has impressed, but he still has quite a ways to go to fulfill his potential. I hope to see him begin to come into his own by the see second half of this season.

WestCoastRam

Legend
 The Rams brass has stated that Young has impressed, but he still has quite a ways to go to fulfill his potential. I hope to see him begin to come into his own by the see second half of this season.

That's a fair and probably best assessment. Can he clean up things game to game (setting edge) and refine (add to) his pass rush technique.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Here's one thought I had... Stafford is 35 and looked like the best QB in the NFC yesterday. I feel pretty good that he has at least two more plus seasons after this. He has an elite arm and it should sustain for at least three more years, imo.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Here's one thought I had... Stafford is 35 and looked like the best QB in the NFC yesterday. I feel pretty good that he has at least two more plus seasons after this. He has an elite arm and it should sustain for at least three more years, imo.
I dunno, can he put it out there far enough for Tutu to go get it? I don’t think a lot of guys are catching him if he doesn’t have to wait for it. Kidding!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I'm glad to hear you're Kidding, because Stafford's arm looked as good as anyone in the NFL, Sunday.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
If the Rams are serious about this season after such an impressive win again st a division opponent I would look for a OLB immediately. We had no rush and it was only until we were up by 2 TDs that we were able to get to the QB but that was because both tackles were out and they had to to throw the ball no surprise there.

I would reach out to the Raiders who have a mess on their hands with Chandler Jones. Barring a mental issue with him I would immediately make a deal for him. Give them a 4th or 5th and force them to eat some of his salary so he doesn't cost so much. Being that he is past 30, they drafted Tyree Wilson with the 7th pick they can afford to let him go as well as he has issues with the HC & GM. Jones is the perfect player to go after who is a 10-12+ sack guy with tons of experience that will lift all boats in the OLB room. Without a pass rush we are going nowhere. Currently we have none. Traditionally rookie starter OLB average 2.5 sacks for a full year of play there is only 1 or 2 that break that.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
Not only his arm but his mobility. That little 9 yard scamper was great. Seemed to be real fluid in the pocket, too.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
We absolutely have to sign Ernest Jones to a long-term contract. He has been so underrated for so long, and we are going to sorely regret it if we don't. We'll have the cap space after this year, so it makes even more sense to do it.

muggmeister

Rookie
I would reach out to the Raiders who have a mess on their hands with Chandler Jones. Barring a mental issue with him I would immediately make a deal for him. Give them a 4th or 5th and force them to eat some of his salary so he doesn't cost so much.
Give them a conditional 6th and eat the majority of this years salary and Im all for it.