Some GRob updates

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ng-up-speed-lions-offensive-scheme/104243750/

Allen Park — Detroit Lions offensive tackle Greg Robinson isn’t going to sugarcoat it the transition has been difficult.

Acquired in a mid-June trade, directly before the lengthy layoff before training camp, Robinson has struggled with his acclimation after three years with the Rams.

“That’s the biggest thing I’m catching up on,” Robinson said, when asked about learning the playbook. “Missing OTAs and those things put me behind a bit. Mainly, I’m just focusing on picking it up the best I can and progressing every day.”

Even though the offensive schemes in Los Angeles and Detroit share many similarities, the play calls all have different names. Think of it like learning a foreign language. You do your best to make correlations, but it takes time.

Missing the early portions of the offseason program, Robinson missed the period when the rest of the roster went through multiple installations of the offense. He had to start from scratch, working on his own during the team’s summer vacation.

In addition to learning the playbook, Robinson has been asked to adjust the way he blocks, a transition that’s been equally as difficult.

“Honestly, it’s going to take a little adjusting,” Robinson said. “I’ve been trying to take the coaching from (offensive line) coach (Ron) Prince and do it the way he wants us doing it and incorporating my own things into the game I feel help me that I feel separates me.

“A few of the zone steps are a lot different, and getting (what I’m used to doing) out of my technique, out of my muscle memory has been a challenge for these past few days. I think slowly it will come along.”

Geoff Schwartz, a free-agent offensive lineman who spent training camp with the Lions last season, wrote an interesting piece for SB Nation. In the article, he suggested the Lions’ blocking style was an ideal fit for Robinson, who has failed to live up to his potential as a former No. 2 overall draft pick.

Robinson’s so early in the learning process that he can’t even conceptualize how these new techniques are better for his skill set

“Honestly, no,” he said. “Once I get it down pat and I can really see the benefits of it, then eventually I’ll be able to commend him on that. Right now, it’s going to take a lot of adjusting.”

Robinson has worked with the first-team offense the past two days, sharing reps with Cyrus Kouandjio, who was added to the roster on the same day in June. The two are the leading contenders to fill in for Taylor Decker, while he recovers from offseason shoulder surgery.

Robinson anticipates he’ll feel much more comfortable after another week of practice and coach Jim Caldwell is also counting on it.

“I would not suspect it to take him long to be able to get the techniques and fundamentals down,” Caldwell said. “He’s one of the better athletes that you’ll find at that position, so there’s probably not a whole lot from an athletic standpoint that he can’t do. He can bend his knees, he can move, he’s big, he’s strong, so I think he can adapt and adapt very well.”

jdrogers@detroitnews.com

Twitter: @justin_rogers

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://lionswire.usatoday.com/2017/...-camp-greg-robinson-swimming-bad-sign-for-lt/

By: Ty Schalter | August 3, 2017 12:06 pm ET

The most critical position battle of training camp, left tackle, continues to not shape up the way Lions fans would have hoped.

Between a brief stint on the non-football injury list and Dave Birkett’s Detroit Free Press report he’s ‘still adjusting’ to the new scheme and playbook, presumed fill-in left tackle Greg Robinson is not making the immediate impact fans’ peace of mind depended on.

Starting left tackle Taylor Decker remains unavailable for the forseeable future, and original presumed backup Corey Robinson does, too. Per Birkett, Robinson is splitting reps with free-agent pickup Cyrus Kouandjio, and the reduced workload is helping Robinson keep his head above water.

Part of this is expected: The Lions’ offensive linemen step and set themselves much differently than Robinson is used to. Analysts like former Detroit linemen Geoff Schwartz thought this would be a big positive, because Robinson’s better suited for Detroit’s style—but that still means he’s got to re-learn everything.

But warning signs about his ability to learn Detroit’s playbook are not ideal, either. When the Lions traded for Robinson, Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole reported that Rams coaches had been frustrated with Robinson’s lack of commitment to learning the offense:

Most damning story about ex-Rams, new-Lions OT Greg Robinson is that he spent more time learning rap lyrics than studying pass protections.

— Jason Cole (@JasonCole62) June 15, 2017

This could all be nothing.

This was just the first padded practice, and Robinson’s re-learning everything from the ground up. if either he or Kouandjio can get comfortable and get it together over the next month, Detroit should have a servicable left tackle to put out there while they wait for Decker.

But Robinson is the one they’ve sunk trade value into acquiring, Robinson is the one they’re paying $3.2 million guaranteed and Robinson is the one who has the only chance of being a part of the long-term picture (or at least valuable trade bait).

Keep a close eye on these reports going forward. The Lions, and their fans, want Robinson comfortable and aggressive.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“Honestly, it’s going to take a little adjusting,” Robinson said. “I’ve been trying to take the coaching from (offensive line) coach (Ron) Prince and do it the way he wants us doing it and incorporating my own things into the game I feel help me that I feel separates me.

:rolllaugh:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the rub with drafting amazing athletes who aren't that bright.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's a dubious formula. Works better with defensive players that aren't charged with complicated playbooks.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
tumblr_n2pgzhsn8P1ql56ddo1_500.gif

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every time I think Gregg Robinson, I just want Snead fired...Robinson is saying all of the same things we heard when he started with the Rams....He made me hate the phrase "I'm just getting better everyday," (or some variation of it) because now when I hear anyone else say that, it makes me think of players like GRob and waiting years for them to get better...and they never do.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Every time I think Gregg Robinson, I just want Snead fired...Robinson is saying all of the same things we heard when he started with the Rams....He made me hate the phrase "I'm just getting better everyday," (or some variation of it) because now when I hear anyone else say that, it makes me think of players like GRob and waiting years for them to get better...and they never do.

To be fair, I'd say GRob is more of a Fisher pick than Snead based on this year's draft; notice the type of players he drafted under McVay vs Fisher's. This year's pickups were high-IQ, exceptionally talented football players while 2012-2016 picks were mostly athletes with a high ceiling.

Overall, I'd say I'm impressed with Snead's ability to work with different coaches in terms of drafting/evaluating talent. Plus his ability to move across the draft board via trade-downs or trade-ups is gravy

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Good riddance!! I was once a believer, but now it's clear GRob will be another of many to join the Rams line of inept LOT's we spent high capital on.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Boudreau pounded the table for Robinson and Fisher let him have his way.
I'm not sure what Sneads view on it was but I have a feeling that Snead would support an Auburn player being picked.

Same with bust Tre Mason.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair, I'd say GRob is more of a Fisher pick than Snead based on this year's draft; notice the type of players he drafted under McVay vs Fisher's. This year's pickups were high-IQ, exceptionally talented football players while 2012-2016 picks were mostly athletes with a high ceiling.

Overall, I'd say I'm impressed with Snead's ability to work with different coaches in terms of drafting/evaluating talent. Plus his ability to move across the draft board via trade-downs or trade-ups is gravy
If Snead and GRob hadn't of gone to the same school (Auburn), I would say you're probably right. Fisher had a kid playing for Auburn also, so it seems Robinson-Snead-Fisher is an unholy trinity of SUCK!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good riddance!! I was once a believer, but now it's clear GRob will be another of many to join the Rams line of inept LOT's we spent high capital on.
GRob= Hall of Fame body, with a Pop Warner back-up's mind.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
You nailed it Jerry. I saw an interview immediately after we drafted him and I was shocked at how dumb he sounded. Needless to say: I had a sickening feeling that never went away until he was traded.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You make a good point there. Snead goes after the player types that the staff wants, clearly. And I keep going back to his comments re: McVay post-draft, that this class was a testament to him and the clarity he provided in what he wants.

And to extrapolate that a bit, I think that's what separates the average GM with the great ones. That's not to say they don't take input from the staff, as I think they do. But I'm sure the elite GMs have a line where they know what they want.

Of course it's not like all GMs don't whiff on high picks. Happens to the best of them, but the overall class should be strong year to year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
You nailed it Jerry. I saw an interview immediately after we drafted him and I was shocked at how dumb he sounded. Needless to say: I had a sickening feeling that never went away until he was traded.

Sounds pretty normal to me.

Most damning story about ex-Rams, new-Lions OT Greg Robinson is that he spent more time learning rap lyrics than studying pass protections.

— Jason Cole (@JasonCole62) June 15, 2017

Hahaha OK. I figure a LOT of players spend time learning rap lyrics.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I really try not to judge a guy based on how articulate he sounds in an interview because people from the rural South tend not to sound too bright (even if they are). However, you were definitely right about Robinson. Unfortunately, Austin might have the same issue.

Sometimes, it works out, but it's one of those things I'd definitely be leery of in the first round.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would we need to wish him ill? He will suck no matter what we want...as will probably the Lions.