Some excruciating final cut decisions...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I gotta respectfully disagree Boston, Rhaney is exactly what I want in a backup. He's got legit athletic skills (great for zone blocking and second level blocking), some deficiencies that preclude him from starting (lack of power) and has shown the ability to play three spots on the line. Rhaney seems like a lock now to make the roster.

I never would have thought this going into the season but I think only a wing and a prayer can save Barnes from the cut-man now. It's Jones and Rhaney at center with Rhaney able to swing back and forth along the line.

Thats fair to disagree :) and respect your opinion as always. He is a good athlete but he is like a piece of linguine at the point of attack. He has no power at all. I agree on the skill set being a good fit for ZBS and second level and the thought of that got me thinking he could do something there. The problem I noticed is in spite of his athletic ability he still is allowing penatration and not finding contact in space. The only time I see him get to the 2nd level is when he is clean and only has to chip block.

All I want in a back up is a guy who can come in and play for a couple of weeks and not get exposed. I have not seen that from him this preseason. Now he may be doing better in practice which I dont have insight to, but he has looked like a guy who just is not good enough.
*Edit*
I agree on you last statement there also. To me its probably either Barnes or Rhaney for the last spot. I am not a Barnes fan but thinking Fisher might keep him because of experience only. Plus again, I think Rhaney would make it to the PS.

Last edited:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
While it seems hard to us it might be much easier for the team to let the players go.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is it easier for teams?

More information.

Of course, that could cut both ways - some players we might think are safe might not be, based on things that happened in private practices

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
How is it easier for teams?
As Fisher said in a presser after the first round of cuts about 49 were set. So that leaves 4 open. Teams always wait to see who's healthy after the last game then move forward.

Coaches are around they marginal players constantly. The cut line isn't a day, it happens over months.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The cuts: really tough ones in bold and hopefuls to land on (PS)

Alex Bayer
Emory Blake
Malcom Brown (PS)
Christian Bryant (PS)
Justice Cunningham (PS)
Austin Davis
Jo-Lonn Dunbar
Isiah Ferguson
Marcus Forston
Montell Garner (PS)
Jacob Hagen
Martin Ifedi (PS)
Zach Laskey
Matt Longacre (PS)
Cameron Lynch (PS)
Bradley Marquez (PS)
Marshall McFadden (PS)
Trovon Reed
Chase Reynolds
Daniel Rodriguez (PS)
Brandon Washington
Darrell Williams

I'll probably be about half right. It will probably be hard to keep some of those on the PS.
You'll have to come up with one more cut, sorry, Isiah Ferguson is already gone!

TexasRam

Legend
No doubt about it, some of these necessary cuts will be downright painful.

Here are my candidates for most agonizing...

Longacre (will he survive or even get to PS?)
Dunbar (might be necessary in order to keep a 10th OL or 10th secondary player). Barron could be our "6th" LB?
Cody Davis (how do you cut this kid now?)
Bryant (see Cody Davis)
Donnal (tremendous 3 position flexibility and has played well on limited snaps) might not clear waivers, anyway.
Malcolm Brown
Fairley (has he really played like one of the best 9 on DL?)
Chase Reynolds ( I love him, too, but we need to keep other players even more)

We seem light at CB but heavy at S. Can GW scheme around that with either Davis or Bryant as dime CB?

Gawd! So many moving parts. So many difficult decisions.

Some are true hairsplitting decisions with no clear "right" or "wrong" answers.

We need to think long and hard about adding another CB. Joyner May be our weak link.