Some excruciating final cut decisions...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
No doubt about it, some of these necessary cuts will be downright painful.

Here are my candidates for most agonizing...

Longacre (will he survive or even get to PS?)
Dunbar (might be necessary in order to keep a 10th OL or 10th secondary player). Barron could be our "6th" LB?
Cody Davis (how do you cut this kid now?)
Bryant (see Cody Davis)
Donnal (tremendous 3 position flexibility and has played well on limited snaps) might not clear waivers, anyway.
Malcolm Brown
Fairley (has he really played like one of the best 9 on DL?)
Chase Reynolds ( I love him, too, but we need to keep other players even more)

We seem light at CB but heavy at S. Can GW scheme around that with either Davis or Bryant as dime CB?

Gawd! So many moving parts. So many difficult decisions.

Some are true hairsplitting decisions with no clear "right" or "wrong" answers.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
How long's it been since the Rams actually had the luxury of difficult decisions to make??? Very impressed with the roster the Rams have built in the last 3 years; suddenly, we have depth at many positions (except maybe CB). They addressed the QB depth issue; the RB #1 and depth issue; the starting OL and depth issues; Saftey depth; LB depth (Hager, a nice find); #1 kicker + #1 punter for the next decade; etc., etc.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Quite the turn around from not even 4 years ago huh? Where we could easily decide who stayed and who went with almost Nostradamus level accuracy.

I think we have to cut ties with Dunbar, he just looks like the odd man out and was cut before. Brown is probably PS, I just can't see us cutting ties with him after the showing he put in the last 3 games. Fairley is obviously safe, don't sign him just to cut him because he didn't make a splash in preseason. Christian Bryant hasn't really impressed me as much as Davis has, I think he can go too.

Can't give anybody else the chance to snatch up Donnal. Reynolds has again impressed, but I feel like he's just been outimpressed, don't see how he beats Brown, Pead or Watts and obviously Mason and Gurley are going nowhere. I'm not sure what everyone is seeing from Longarce, I cut ties with him pretty easily. Trinca is the guy I have a hard time with where he goes.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fairley? Can't imagine that happening.

Agree with Dunbar... ever since he got caught and had to play "clean", he hasn't been the same (read mediocre at best).

Time to cut ties IMO.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
if anything i think he will be a backup at OG

I think Reynolds might be the first backup there. Not sure what to expect with Wichmann but Rhaney is the only guy I can see making it to the PS. Plus I havent seen anything from Rhaney to justify keeping him.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
I agree about Dunbar 100%...hasn't been nearly as good. I think Barnes is also a notable cut...I feel Jones starts at center with Rhaney being a backup there as well as guard. I see Longacre making it to the practice squad, but what do I know.

Athos

Legend
Dunbar is toast.

Davis has to stay.

Not so excruciating tho?

Cutting Washington.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I need to see the game....hearing good reports about so many guys....how about the penalties? Who did all of those?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I hope Longacre Trinca and Davis make it

WestCoastRam

Legend
Honestly, I wonder about Fairley and wouldn't be surprised if he was cut. We need him to backup Brockers but he seems too light now and hasn't been that healthy.

I could see Dunbar being toast. Hagar seems to have shown enough to make him expendable.

Chase Reynolds being cut: I'll believe it when I see it.

I think we only keep Davis or Bryant and think we've invested too much in Davis to let him go.

I've always felt RB Brown was a practice squad candidate and never felt it was a hard decision. He's good but not like he's earth-shattering or anything. Pead's ST ability outshines him in utility and probably the same thing with Watts though I'm unsure how much Watts plays on ST.

The good news is we have a lot of guys we'll want to sign to the practice squad, not just absolute scrubs.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think Reynolds might be the first backup there. Not sure what to expect with Wichmann but Rhaney is the only guy I can see making it to the PS. Plus I havent seen anything from Rhaney to justify keeping him.

I gotta respectfully disagree Boston, Rhaney is exactly what I want in a backup. He's got legit athletic skills (great for zone blocking and second level blocking), some deficiencies that preclude him from starting (lack of power) and has shown the ability to play three spots on the line. Rhaney seems like a lock now to make the roster.

I never would have thought this going into the season but I think only a wing and a prayer can save Barnes from the cut-man now. It's Jones and Rhaney at center with Rhaney able to swing back and forth along the line.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
No doubt about it, some of these necessary cuts will be downright painful... Some are true hairsplitting decisions with no clear "right" or "wrong" answers.
I like your list and your points on the no right or wrong... However I do think it's a 0% chance Fairley is cut. The only reason he was unimpressive is because they purposefully didn't let him play due to injury coddling.

I've been anti-Dunbar but the guy can still stop the run, something that is still worrisome with the other LBs. You mention Barron as his alternative, but he hasn't really impressed either -- but Barron stays since his contract sucks.

I like Malcolm Brown and will be sad to see him go, but such is this business.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't see Rhaney or Dunbar getting cut. I like Trinca- Pasat over Longacre myself.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I used to find cutting players painful. But I'm at the point now where I could care less. This is a .500 team if we are lucky. What difference does it make if we cut a few guys?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
No doubt about it, some of these necessary cuts will be downright painful.

Here are my candidates for most agonizing...

Longacre (will he survive or even get to PS?)
Dunbar (might be necessary in order to keep a 10th OL or 10th secondary player). Barron could be our "6th" LB?
Cody Davis (how do you cut this kid now?)
Bryant (see Cody Davis)
Donnal (tremendous 3 position flexibility and has played well on limited snaps) might not clear waivers, anyway.
Malcolm Brown
Fairley (has he really played like one of the best 9 on DL?)
Chase Reynolds ( I love him, too, but we need to keep other players even more)

We seem light at CB but heavy at S. Can GW scheme around that with either Davis or Bryant as dime CB?

Gawd! So many moving parts. So many difficult decisions.

Some are true hairsplitting decisions with no clear "right" or "wrong" answers.
" Agonizing to say the least! But gratifying to know we have a Stacked Roster!

How long's it been since the Rams actually had the luxury of difficult decisions to make??? Very impressed with the roster the Rams have built in the last 3 years; suddenly, we have depth at many positions (except maybe CB). They addressed the QB depth issue; the RB #1 and depth issue; the starting OL and depth issues; Saftey depth; LB depth (Hager, a nice find); #1 kicker + #1 punter for the next decade; etc., etc.
My thoughts exactly!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The cuts: really tough ones in bold and hopefuls to land on (PS)

Alex Bayer
Emory Blake
Malcom Brown (PS)
Christian Bryant (PS)
Justice Cunningham (PS)
Austin Davis
Jo-Lonn Dunbar
Isiah Ferguson
Marcus Forston
Montell Garner (PS)
Jacob Hagen
Martin Ifedi (PS)
Zach Laskey
Matt Longacre (PS)
Cameron Lynch (PS)
Bradley Marquez (PS)
Marshall McFadden (PS)
Trovon Reed
Chase Reynolds
Daniel Rodriguez (PS)
Brandon Washington
Darrell Williams

I'll probably be about half right. It will probably be hard to keep some of those on the PS.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I have a hard time seeing Christian Bryant cut. He's exactly what Fisher and Williams want out of a safety. He plays the exact same game Rodney does. They are both boomers, and will lay people out at the FS position. Now, he's up against Cody Davis, who has shown more in preseason. I guess we'll see, but I'm pulling for Bryant, he's had a tough go since he broke his ankle. But, will he ever develop? I guess that's the real question.