So what's the plan at Safety?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Reading lists of our private workouts and visits, we only have met with one safety and that's Maruice Alexander from Utah State.

What are some realistic scenarios? Is it possible that we are going to stick with what we have? Are we trying to hide a prospect we like?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Trading down from #13 could be a viable way to land any of the safeties on the board.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If you think back to January of this year..when CoachO posted something to the effect that Cody Davis, Matt Daniels & Rodney McLeod was a good young talented trio to have competing for that open safety post.

I do not want to put words in CoachO's post but he really likes what he saw In Cody Davis in pre season.....he said then not to expect the Rams to runn oft the rails looking for a safety during free agency or in the draft. Guess it would be smart to go search and just see what he posted about the Rams current safeties. I didn't add anything to that conversation other than saying I just agreed with him.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Trading down from #13 could be a viable way to land any of the safeties on the board.

This is my hope. Pryor after a snall teade down!!!! Doesnt look loke it will happen but I can hope.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The question is...should we go after a safety or a CB first?

V3

Hall of Fame
The question is...should we go after a safety or a CB first?

Easily CB and I'm not really a huge fan of either Dennard or Gilbert. None of the FS's in this draft are worthy of 13. You'd find much better value in taking a Brooks or Ward in the 2nd. The position is gaining value in the NFL, though, so who knows if either would still be there? I think one will, though.

Muleman

UDFA
guarantee you that Fish,Greg and Snead have 2-3 guys targeted for free safety in the draft at various rounds of the draft. we just have no clue of who and when. It will be like Mac Jr, what a surprise for me last year. I absolutly love this time of year!

SierraRam

Recreational User

- Either trade down or pick a top corner at #13. (sorry Mojo - Donald won't be there) We've shown interest in Bucannon. He should be there at #44, and hopefully Ward or Brooks are in play too. If we trade down, we could land Pryor. Any of these guys should do great next to TJ.

Maurice Alexander has good size and ST abilities, but he would be for depth. If don't trade down, I think we go Safety in the 2nd. (or 3rd max.)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm still hoping Matt 'the hat' Daniels gets the opportunity to come back and showcase his talents. He's been so unlucky with injuries so far in his career, it's ridiculous. If he's still on the roster during camp, I expect him to start along side McDonald.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm still hoping Matt 'the hat' Daniels gets the opportunity to come back and showcase his talents. He's been so unlucky with injuries so far in his career, it's ridiculous. If he's still on the roster during camp, I expect him to start along side McDonald.
I agree, I hope he gets a chance to be healthy and show this team what he's got. But I look at Daniels more as a SS. I don't think we really have a true FS on the roster besides maybe McLeod, but is he the answer? I feel this team needs a ball hawking FS / good cover skills. McDonald will most likely play in the box quite a bit under Williams defense, so we need someone reliable back there playing deep.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I agree, I hope he gets a chance to be healthy and show this team what he's got. But I look at Daniels more as a SS. I don't think we really have a true FS on the roster besides maybe McLeod, but is he the answer? I feel this team needs a ball hawking FS / good cover skills. McDonald will most likely play in the box quite a bit under Williams defense, so we need someone reliable back there playing deep.
I like McLeod as the third safety/situational corner. You could have McLeod out there on passing downs to move around...he could be valuable in a role like that.

As a starting safety? Well, we've seen that. We definitely need an upgrade.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Yes Matt was just coming back around after that MCL tear in 2012. Matt was neck & neck with Rodney but that 2012 season where Rodney started a few games and played the entire season as the top safety back was hard to bump out. That broken ankle was a sad injury.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes Matt was just coming back around after that MCL tear in 2012. Matt was neck & neck with Rodney but that 2012 season where Rodney started a few games and played the entire season as the top safety back was hard to bump out. That broken ankle was a sad injury.

So he was neck and with Mcleod before his injury and you want to start him over Mcleod? Don't you think we should upgrade if that's the best we currently have?