So weird it might be true.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2011, 10:42 AM EST

For those of you who are as willing to blindly believe right now that the Jaguars won’t move as you were willing to blindly believe Wayne Weaver when he said earlier this month that he isn’t selling the team, save yourself the aggravation and scroll past this story.

For those of you who are willing to be skeptical of an industry that has generated ongoing proof of the value of skepticism, read on.

If the Jaguars move, it may not be a foregone conclusion that they move to Los Angeles. There’s a chance they’ll move to St. Louis, with the Rams returning to L.A.

As one executive with a team other than the Jaguars told PFT on Wednesday morning, “People that I trust think there is a chance [Rams owner] Stan Kroenke moves the Rams to L.A. and [Shahid] Khan moves to St. Louis.”

At this point, no one knows with certainty what will happen. But it would be foolish to rule out anything, even if folks with a vested interest in propping up ticket sales and interest in the team in Jacksonville try desperately to ignore the content of the tea leaves.

Once the minimum spending requirement per team kicks in come 2013, teams like the Jaguars won’t be able to stockpile $32.9 million in salary cap space. When that happens, there will be more incentive than ever to move NFL teams to where the money is.

Folks in the one percent didn’t get there by being too stupid to realize that.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/30/if-jags-move-l-a-may-not-be-the-destination/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... stination/</a>

This is so far fetched that it might be true. Anything to sell a paper these days.

But would I get to keep my seats at the dome for the Jags games? I mean I don't like the Jags, but still it's football....Wait this could work, I go to LA a couple times a year anyway so might catch a couple games there, catch the rest of their games on Sunday ticket and attend a full season of NFL games at the dome.

Strange days.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
:uhh:

I dunno what to think about all that. As long as the Rams are playing somewhere, I don't care. My question would be to the 95ers on this board. The guys who have been Rams fans since the Rams moved to the Lou. What do YOU do if something like this were to happen? Home team? Rams? Whatta ya do?

It's weird. Khan has St Louis ties, Kroenke has L.A. ties. Just weird.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Yamahopper said:

For those of you who are as willing to blindly believe right now that the Jaguars won’t move as you were willing to blindly believe Wayne Weaver when he said earlier this month that he isn’t selling the team, save yourself the aggravation and scroll past this story.

For those of you who are willing to be skeptical of an industry that has generated ongoing proof of the value of skepticism, read on.

If the Jaguars move, it may not be a foregone conclusion that they move to Los Angeles. There’s a chance they’ll move to St. Louis, with the Rams returning to L.A.

As one executive with a team other than the Jaguars told PFT on Wednesday morning, “People that I trust think there is a chance [Rams owner] Stan Kroenke moves the Rams to L.A. and [Shahid] Khan moves to St. Louis.”

At this point, no one knows with certainty what will happen. But it would be foolish to rule out anything, even if folks with a vested interest in propping up ticket sales and interest in the team in Jacksonville try desperately to ignore the content of the tea leaves.

Once the minimum spending requirement per team kicks in come 2013, teams like the Jaguars won’t be able to stockpile $32.9 million in salary cap space. When that happens, there will be more incentive than ever to move NFL teams to where the money is.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/30/if-jags-move-l-a-may-not-be-the-destination/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... stination/</a>

This is so far fetched that it might be true. Anything to sell a paper these days.

But would I get to keep my seats at the dome for the Jags games? I mean I don't like the Jags, but still it's football....Wait this could work, I go to LA a couple times a year anyway so might catch a couple games there, catch the rest of their games on Sunday ticket and attend a full season of NFL games at the dome.

Strange days.

Like I said..makes you wonder, don't it? Now the word is Khan is going to buy a house down there, but that doesnt mean anything. Just like if Stan has a house in LA. We will see what happens by 2014.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
You heard it here first!!....yesterday!!

Faceplant said:
Hmm, maybe he will move the Jags to St. Lou when the Rams move back to LA! I KEED, I KEED!!! :bign:

Good question to the 95'ers X. Interested to see these replies. I would imagine most would root for whomever the home team is. I have never rooted for my hometeam (Redskins)...always the Rams. I DO like the Ravens in the AFC tho.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Farmers Field would look really good with Blue and Gold....

But really, it would be interesting, somewhat shocking to see that scenario playing out. Yet business wise it does make sense, the Rams have more of a following in LA than the Jags do, and the Jags have somewhat of a fanbase, or at least the making of one, in St. Louis because their hometown boy plays QB for them. So in the sense of marketing the teams in new locations the Rams can go with the "We're back home!" slogan and the Jags could go with the "Hometown hero." line.

It's interesting. Not probable, but possible.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:

I dunno what to think about all that. As long as the Rams are playing somewhere, I don't care. My question would be to the 95ers on this board. The guys who have been Rams fans since the Rams moved to the Lou. What do YOU do if something like this were to happen? Home team? Rams? Whatta ya do?

Dude I have no idea what would happen. This would be more F'ed up than a bad wife swap movie.

Been a Ram fan my whole life. Seen them as a kid, lived for years in Long Beach, and watched them there. watching them here. Not changing.

Lot of Stl. Rams fans came from the Cards. They just gave them up when they moved and adopted the Rams. Nothing wrong with that at all. And they have supported the team better than they deserved at times. A owner can't bitch 1 time about the fans after the last few seasons.

But now with the Internet Al. Gore invented and Sunday ticket, Rewind and everything else many will stay fans of the Rams till the last Stl. Ram retires. Most would soon become Jags fans, and that's cool. Ramstalk would be Jagstalk, Bernie would write about Bradford Gabbert comparisons. Life would go on.

One thing that could make this happen is AEG will bankroll all moving expenses and pick up the lease penalties for both teams just to fill that stadium in LA. The NFL won't complain because that bails them out of Jac.
Money talks and bullshyte walks is the NFL motto.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
ljramsfan said:
Yamahopper said:

Strange days.

Like I said..makes you wonder, don't it? Now the word is Khan is going to buy a house down there, but that doesnt mean anything. Just like if Stan has a house in LA. We will see what happens by 2014.

Not sure if it was to happen that it would be that long. All the Rams have to do is play the 250k yearly lease and their gone. Same with the Jags. The LA stadium group will pick up all cost and liabilities. This could go quick.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well I became a fan of the St. Louis Rams, and in turn lately kinda made STL a 2nd home I never been too except passing through on road trips. The Rams made me a Cards fan.

But @ the end of the day, I sure as hell didn't spend 10 years of my life following this team. What, I'm just gonna abandon the team I have come to know? If they became LA Rams, fine. Toronto Rams? OK. London Rams? Sure why not. Rams are Rams.

I hope they do stay in St. Louis, tho..as Bradford has brought a huge following from Oklahoma and has kinda connected the 2 states together. It just seems that this current team, is more of a down to earth midwest type than Hollywood, Lakers, etc. They just need a winning season, and many more after, soon.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:

I don't know what they'll do, but I know what I did. I kept them as my team. I hope newer fans will do the same.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
kurtfaulk said:

according to this article the jaguars are stuck in jacksonville until 2027.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_jacksonville_jaguars_new_owner_los_angeles_112911

I don't think he has the stones to buy the team and move it right away.
Lease are broke every day, legally.
So in reality all they have to is remunerate Jac. and the Stl. stadiums for their leases and direct losses and poof their gone. A Fla. court can not force them to play their games in Jac. Just set compensation. The LA groups picks up the tab and get a team they want the Rams for cheap. The NFL would be happy. Rams back in LA. Bolts and Vikes stay where they want them. No Raiders in LA. A team in the Lou in the Midwest market And they can unscrew that Jac. mistake. Perfect world from their point of view.
Think about it.

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:

Don't forget that Kroenke is from Missouri, or the fact that he helped bring the team to St. Louis.

February 1st will be a very interesting date...

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
If this longshot does indeed happen, I predict that at least 80% of St Louis Rams fans, who currently live in St Louis, will jump the Rams' ship for the StL Jags.

Do you think this prediction precentage is too low... too high?

And of course, Stl Rams fans who don't live in St Louis will almost all follow the team back to Los Angeles.

Steven3k

UDFA
Name
Steven
If the Rams move to L.A. I would have one hell of a problem. I've been a constant hater towards all teams from California, Texas, New York, and Boston. There are small exceptions to this rule (I was rooting for the Mavs when they played the Heat in the finals, I root for any team that plays the Shehawks, also any team that plays BYU) but for the majority of the time, I detest teams from the above mentioned areas.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
interference said:
If this longshot does indeed happen, I predict that at least 80% of St Louis Rams fans, who currently live in St Louis, will jump the Rams' ship for the StL Jags.

Do you think this prediction precentage is too low... too high?

And of course, Stl Rams fans who don't live in St Louis will almost all follow the team back to Los Angeles.

Probably about right. I'm not saying I would blame the St Louis fans - especially if they had another team right away. The Rams have been in St Louis for 15 years as compared to LA for 50. I'm a third generation Ram fan. Probably not a lot of fans in St Louis that could say that. The Rams are in my DNA - be it St Louis or LA.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I need only say one reply to X's question: It doesn't matter whether or not I go to heaven or hell, but I will go there as a Rams, Cardinals (baseball), Blues, and Tigers (Mizzou) fan - and if I have to follow those teams as an earthbound spirit, I will choose that option.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'm still hoping the London Rams could happen...

in all seriousness though, the only thing i don't like about American sports is that you always move your bloody teams around. whats the point? i know you guys dont like soccer but if you look at the history and tradition those teams have it's really the only thing that we europeans do better. my local soccer team were formed in 1929 and have played in the same spot ever since. i don't know how they expect to keep fans interested when they all know the teams can be ripped away at any point...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
ScotsRam said:
I'm still hoping the London Rams could happen...

in all seriousness though, the only thing i don't like about American sports is that you always move your bloody teams around. whats the point? i know you guys dont like soccer but if you look at the history and tradition those teams have it's really the only thing that we europeans do better. my local soccer team were formed in 1929 and have played in the same spot ever since. i don't know how they expect to keep fans interested when they all know the teams can be ripped away at any point...

Very valid point.