So We Don't Draft A Round 1 Qb?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Looking better all the time, guys. Those crazy Maziel runs and and Mallett to Houston rumors are getting time me. Are they getting to Snisher, too?

Alan

Legend
I'm pretty sure that Snisher doesn't pay any attention to what anyone says.

Except what we at the ROD say of course.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Personally; I feel no love for Manziel.

Just too small. Too much off the field character stuff for my liking.

Still firmly excited to build around Sam and make a playoff run in 2014!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Oh hell no that is just the most ridiculous thing I've heard since someone brought it up yesterday. There are 100 guys I would rather have than any of these weak ass QBs in this draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Yes agree the over 6-4 230 pound Sam just makes me feel so much better.... just give Sam a good OL things will be just fine. But as we all know its the OL stupid not Sam Bradford.

Not so sure that the Pats will just tie a thick smoke pork-chop to Mallets neck and send him down to Texas either. Like I said earlier today Tom Brady is no longer youthful and long in the tooth. At his age a couple of good shots like what happen to Kurt Warner would send him into retirement real fast. Then who going to run the cheaters offense?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

It's not just that he's too small. It's also that Manziel doesn't have the accuracy and arm strength that Sam has either. Manziel can make plays with his feet and definitely keep plays going. But the talent level he had a Texas A&M compared to the competition was comparatively better than what Sam has. Manziel had two premium LT, a premium WR and a pass happy offense. Manziel was lucky many times when he just heaved a ball down field and Mike Evans was down there to catch it even if he was double or triple teamed. It reminds me a bit of what Stafford has with Calvin Johnson in Detroit. Give Sam something like that and see what happens to the offense and his numbers

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
This idea of taking a QB in the first round makes no sense to me. The QB talent level is weaker in this draft to begin with and we don't need a QB anyway. We have so many other needs like OL, CB, S, WR and I somehow highly doubt we would pass up those needs for a player who will inevitably warm the bench.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think the difference between a QB being the reason you lose and a QB not being good enough to overcome all a teams deficiencies is what gets lost for those who want to kick Bradford to the curb.

I seriously doubt any of the guys currently called "elites " would have taken this team to the playoffs in more than one of the Spags years nor more than one of the Fisher years and FWIW probably NONE of them could have at comparable stages (first 3/4 years of their careers).

I'm just grateful it appears our coaches and FO can tell the difference.

It's a QB driven league but WHAT the QB is driving is far more relevant than the naysayers choose to consider.

No we aren't gonna take a QB first round and if we draft one anywhere he'll be KC's replacement not Sams.

NorCalRamFan

Well, since you brought it up, how many games did the 6'4", 235 lb QB miss due to injury in College and in the NFL due to injury?

SB missed 11 games at Oklahoma in 3 seasons due to injury. SB missed 15 games in the NFL in 4 seasons due to injury for a total of 26 games.
Sounds like he's injury prone.

As for accuracy, #8 has been rather tepid with a 58.6 career completion percentage in the NFL, and a 67.6 career completion percentage at Oklahoma.
Manziel has a 68.9 career completion percentage at A&M, so we can call that one a draw for now.

Manziel may be built like a hummingbird, but he moves like one too. Saying Manziel has been "lucky" by just "heaving it up" is just plain silly.
You don't get that lucky that often. Manziel is extremely accurate and his football IQ is off the charts and his success is based on skill and smarts and not on "luck"

How many more years are we going to hear "Give Sam an OL, give Sam WR's, give Sam a RB, give Sam a team of Pro-Bowlers and he might win 10 games..."

And c'mon, are you saying Manziel has better talent at A&M than SB has in STL? That's laughable.

Hell, look at Cam Newton - who does he have? Old WR's like Steve Smith, a disappointment in Ted Ginn Jr, who has done nothing to prove his worth as a top 10 pick, aging DeAngelo Williams at RB?
And other than Ryan Kalil, I can't name anyone on their OL.
Yeah, they have a good Defense, but so do the Rams.

Yet Carolina and Newton went from 6-10 to 12-4 in his 3 years on the team.

It's time the excuses stop. You either produce and do your job, or you don't. Bradford hasn't. Who did Joe Montana have when they won SB 16? WR Dwight Clark, WR Freddie Solomon, RB Ricky Patton? And on the OL, Joe Montana didn't have a wall of Pro-Bowlers in front of him either. Dan Audick? Keith Fahnhorst? John Ayers? Randy Cross? Other than Montana, how many of the guys from that offense are in the HOF?

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/roster/1981

A good QB elevates his team and those around him. I just gave two examples and can give plenty more, but I've made my point and don't want another vacation.

The fact is, the Rams need to do what the Jets did and cut their losses and move on. They have the #2 pick and a QB with a very high ceiling likely sitting there at #2 and we won't have to spend 80 Million dollars and wait 5 years to see if he has what it takes to lead this team to the playoffs.

What have we got to lose? Another 80 Million and 5 years of sub .500 football?

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the only QB that Snead should even consider fawning over:

Crazy runs, schmazy runs. I want a QB with a golden arm.

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn
None of these QBs get me hot and bothered.. We need to stick with Sam on more year.. This is it, next year will have better QB potential

NorCalRamFan

I disagree - some say Teddy B might not even go in the top 10 and his NFL IQ isn't anywhere near that of Manziel's.
I'll let Manziel's numbers speak for themselves. Manziel put up his numbers playing in the SEC and won a Heisman in his Freshman year.
Take a look at the vid I posted and watch the football IQ, the arm strentgh and accuracy Manziel displays. Last year, his critics were giving much of the credit to his success to...Ryan Swope. Now they are doing the same with Mike Evans. Maybe it's that Manziel elevates the play of those around him.

BTW, Teddy B isn't exactly a physical specimen at 6'3" and 195 lb. although no one ever seems to mention that. He could spend some time in the weight room to fill out his frame.

Manziel absolutely lit up one of the best, if not the best Defense in the NCAA by posting 562 yards (464 passing, 98 rushing) against Alabama.
QB's just don't do that to Alabama. No one does. One thing for sure, Teddy B isn't going to beat you with both his arm and his legs. Manziel will and does.

Oh, and Denver changed Tebow's passing mechanics which arguably ruined his NFL career even though he won an NFL playoff game, something a certain #8 never did. But what does Tebow have to do with Manziel? Nothing, that's what. Two completely different players. Why even bring up Tebow? It's a red herring designed to distract away from a debate. Usually done when someone doesn't have a decent argument to begin with.
And Tebow's NFL stats aren't that bad. He has a career passer rating of about 75.3, which is close to SB's career rating of 79.3 and Tebow has a winning W/L record, something SB is far from at 18-30-1

Either way, I would take Bridgewater or Manziel over SB as he hasn't shown anything in 4 years except a propensity to get injured and to put up mediocre numbers when healthy.

NorCalRamFan

None of these QBs get me hot and bothered.. We need to stick with Sam on more year.. This is it, next year will have better QB potential

And next year it will be "Sam's coming off knee surgery. Obviously, he's not 100%. Let him play out his contract. Give him one more year"

Damn, I can't stand the excuses anymore.
5 years and 80 million dollars wasted on a mediocre, injury-prone QB

Either Teddy B or Johnny Football could step in and do better, cost less and have a much higher ceiling. How much more do we need to see of SB to see that he will never lead the Rams to anything much better than 8-8? Or is that good enough for some of you?

18-30-1
That's the reality of the Rams W/L record under Sam Bradford. I can't watch another snap of Rams football with #8 behind Center. I can't read or listen to the excuses anymore. I would rather poke my eyes/ears out. I can't believe that fans pay well over $100 to attend a game to watch such mediocrity and then come online and make excuses for such incompetence.

I better log off before I get a permanent vacation....

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I disagree - some say Teddy B might not even go in the top 10 and his NFL IQ isn't anywhere near that of Manziel's.
I'll let Manziel's numbers speak for themselves. Manziel put up his numbers playing in the SEC and won a Heisman in his Freshman year.
Take a look at the vid I posted and watch the football IQ, the arm strentgh and accuracy Manziel displays. Last year, his critics were giving much of the credit to his success to...Ryan Swope. Now they are doing the same with Mike Evans. Maybe it's that Manziel elevates the play of those around him.

BTW, Teddy B isn't exactly a physical specimen at 6'3" and 195 lb. although no one ever seems to mention that. He could spend some time in the weight room to fill out his frame.

Manziel absolutely lit up one of the best, if not the best Defense in the NCAA by posting 562 yards (464 passing, 98 rushing) against Alabama.
QB's just don't do that to Alabama. No one does. One thing for sure, Teddy B isn't going to beat you with both his arm and his legs. Manziel will and does.

Oh, and Denver changed Tebow's passing mechanics which arguably ruined his NFL career even though he won an NFL playoff game, something a certain #8 never did. But what does Tebow have to do with Manziel? Nothing, that's what. Two completely different players. Why even bring up Tebow? It's a red herring designed to distract away from a debate. Usually done when someone doesn't have a decent argument to begin with.
And Tebow's NFL stats aren't that bad. He has a career passer rating of about 75.3, which is close to SB's career rating of 79.3 and Tebow has a winning W/L record, something SB is far from at 18-30-1

Either way, I would take Bridgewater or Manziel over SB as he hasn't shown anything in 4 years except a propensity to get injured and to put up mediocre numbers when healthy.
His NFL IQ is the exact same
As Bridgewaters Zero neither on has played in the NFL thus far.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't think your evaluation of football IQ could be any further from reality. Teddy Bridgewater runs a West Coast Offense from the line of scrimmage. The guy has off the charts football IQ and does many of the same things that Peyton Manning and Tom Brady do at the LOS. Johnny Manziel runs an Air Raid offense. It uses simplified route combinations, progressions and half field reads.

Manziel also does idiotic things like this:

The WR split outside to the left ran a hesitation go banking on the CB reading screen and jumping it. The CB does which leaves the WR WIDE OPEN for a TD. Manziel blows the read. Then, with a clean pocket, Manziel stupidly tries to run up the middle and hurdle a defender. He is lucky enough to get out of it somehow and find the slot WR for a TD. So people mistakenly believe it's a good play. It's not. It's incompetent QBing. That works in college but it does not work in the NFL. And it's a play that shows poor pocket presence, poor decision making and unimpressive football IQ.

You do that. Then you can tell me why Tim Tebow, Graham Harrell, Colt McCoy and Colt Brennan weren't elite NFL QBs despite their numbers. Hell, Sam Bradford had better numbers than Manziel did his sophomore year. Why isn't he an elite QB? Oh right, because college numbers don't mean anything in the NFL.

I've seen that game multiple times. Along with many others. Manziel's arm strength, accuracy and football IQ are inferior to Bridgewater's...by a significant margin.

Teddy is 6'3" 205. Manziel is 6'0" 200. I wouldn't bring size into this discussion.

Trevor Knight also lit them up. Guess that makes him an elite QB too.

Teddy Bridgewater doesn't need to beat you with his legs. He'll beat you with his arm and mind...like Manning and Brady do. But he certainly can scramble and run when he chooses to.

Well, I have more than a decent argument and have been pretty well squashing whatever you put out there. Tebow was brought up because your argument is completely reliant on stats rather than your ability to evaluate QBs. But if you want to talk stats...that's fine with me. Here are some for you:
wyizzs0.jpg

UFWnqVj.jpg

db0HWPQ.jpg

97DoRoS.jpg

Bdo1zFpCYAEYZ6B.png

Basically, Bridgewater is the superior passer.

The only area where I give Manziel an edge is deep passing(Bridgewater is inconsistent...has a tendency to aim it too much and overthrow his WR). But Bridgewater blows him away in every other area.

Yea. I think that speaks volumes.

Last edited by a moderator:

RFIP

Yes agree the over 6-4 230 pound Sam just makes me feel so much better.... just give Sam a good OL things will be just fine. But as we all know its the OL stupid not Sam Bradford.

Not so sure that the Pats will just tie a thick smoke pork-chop to Mallets neck and send him down to Texas either. Like I said earlier today Tom Brady is no longer youthful and long in the tooth. At his age a couple of good shots like what happen to Kurt Warner would send him into retirement real fast. Then who going to run the cheaters offense?

Yes but, as memory serves me, Mallette is a FA after 2014 I believe?

If true, NO WAY the Pats franchise him and ANYTHING short of that he will leave in FA 1 year hence.