So, too early to talk about a Floyd extension?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't think we can afford him. I like Leonard, but I think, like Fowler, he gets priced out of our range. We should keep signing promising guys who are looking to "prove it" for a year next to Donald. I wonder if Clowney might fit that description next off-season. Maybe take a relatively affordable one year deal to put up a big year with Donald to set up his final contract.

We seem to have found this combination twice in Fowler and now Floyd.

So... Yep. This is the benefit to the Donald investment, so take it.. And... leverage it to be win-win as we’ve done.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I continue to believe that the Rams can find a way to extend Floyd if they really want him.

It would only be approx $5M more than his ‘20 salary. That’s a mere speed bump for the crafty Demoff.

The value to this D is there, IMO, and I think some judicious roster pruning could provide the needed funds.

The guy is young, he’s healthy, and a perfect fit in this Staley D.

IOW, Floyd has proven to be a playmaking difference maker that just might get us over the hump and back into the SB. Such players you keep if at all possible.

Psycho_X

Legend
Well I said in the thread like this from a month ago that I would like to keep Floyd and most thought I was nuts to want to keep him. I am still on that bandwagon but obviously there is a limit to it depending on what he'll fetch. Between Williams, Floyd, and JJ I'd rank them in that order of who I'd like to keep. I like JJ but safeties are usually easy to come by and we already have a plethora of them on our roster. Williams we will have one more year probably due to RFA unless he balls out so hard this year someone actually gives us a first rounder for him but that is unlikely. So that makes Floyd my top resigning. He fits Staley's D perfectly and executes very well. Of course, Staley might leave which might lower his value to us depending on who replaces him. But I hope the Rams find a way.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I continue to believe that the Rams can find a way to extend Floyd if they really want him.It would only be approx $5M more than his ‘20 salary. That’s a mere speed bump for the crafty Demoff.The value to this D is there, IMO, and I think some judicious roster pruning could provide the needed funds.The guy is young, he’s healthy, and a perfect fit in this Staley D.IOW, Floyd has proven to be a playmaking difference maker that just might get us over the hump and back into the SB. Such players you keep if at all possible.
I have looked heavy into the ways the Rams could sign LF to a long term contract & just do not see it possible without some real pain :cry:in other critical units.

One very good thing is the $35 million Dead Cap hit is gone. The only big lurker is the $8.5 million in dead funds to Gurley in 2021. Looks like they will still have to pay the departed Floyd over $3.4 million while he is playing for another team. Not only that but the Rams have collected a large youthful cadre of OLB'ers since 2018....2 OLB'ers who have been in the NFL since 2018 & 3 since 2019 plus Terrell Lewis going into his 2nd season. All six are young & have seen action & the active roster. I would think that Justin Hollins- Og Okoronkwo & Terrell Lewis could be a solid trio of starters for us & use this already here OLB'ers to backfill the rest of the spots.

I all about using your 2nd day of the draft to get defensive talent on this roster. I say draft another new Edge Rusher as we did with Terrell Lewis. Defensive prospects just produce quicker & pay dividends early.

Use whatever cap funds that are available to keep your veteran seasoned OL'ers. March 2021 FA's OC Austin Blythe & Coleman Shelton will be departing too. Then just around the corner in 2022 Rams have four OL'ers going into FA'cy like starters RG Austin Corbett & LT Joe Noteboom plus reserve OL'ers OT Chandler Brewer & OC Brian Allen. Rams #1 goal for this team's future is to keep this OL intact as long as they can & best as they can after Andrew Whitworth retires!

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't think we can afford him. I like Leonard, but I think, like Fowler, he gets priced out of our range. We should keep signing promising guys who are looking to "prove it" for a year next to Donald. I wonder if Clowney might fit that description next off-season. Maybe take a relatively affordable one year deal to put up a big year with Donald to set up his final contract.

In any other year I would agree with you, but with the cap shrinking, MOST of the FAs are gonna find a really tight market flooded with very talented Vets that in any other year would be snapped up instantly.

Who's gonna have $15M/year to spend on an OLB in 2021?

If anything, I think the smart money is to make sure to stay on a winner with another 1 year deal and then go for the big deal in 2022.

I also think there'll be some accommodation because watching teams completely dismantle due to COVID will drive fans away.

Yeah, the cap will be less, but I don't think it will be so much less that we can't sign guys. That said, I don't think anyone is gonna be able to go crazy in FA.

One thing I know is that NO ONE benefits from a glut of super talented FAs sitting at home because of the cap. They won't allow that to happen. No one benefits from that.