So, too early to talk about a Floyd extension?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Of course it is, but this is a fun topic on a message board between huge Ram games with playoff implications.

If Floyd keeps this up, I think that the Rams should try to lock him up for 5 more years. He seems perfect for this Staley D, don’t you think?

And the odds of getting a like quality edge player in next years draft are almost zero unless we get Cooper Kupp lucky.

Rams have been inclined to acquire expensive but high value players since McVay came on board and Floyd’s been playing his way into that category. And he’s playing at a very high level at a premier position. One that Staley greatly values.

So, just how much will it cost the Rams to lock Floyd up for 5 years, assuming that the Rams are willing to pay him a very large percentage as guaranteed?

Do y’all think $15M per would get the job done? If not, just what do you think it will take?

I really think that this is doable if we’re willing to let Everett, JJ, and Reynolds walk, among others. Darious Williams would cost at most $5M next year even if tendered as a 1st rounder, I believe.

Like I said earlier, this is predicated on Floyd continuing to light it up, but if he does? An extension looks like a no brainer to me.

Would love to get your input on this.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I swear we have a thread on this already. I dont think the Rams have the $$ to pay him, and I think it shows the benefit of playing with Donald more than Floyd's ability

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Discouraging forecast on Floyd’s probable contract, flv.

Three things might operate in Rams favor, though.

In no particular order...

The probable cap reduction might limit the amounts that other teams can offer Floyd, thus holding down necessary cap impact in Rams needed offer.

Playing for Staley has gotta be hugely appealing.

Playing alongside AD similarly has to be a monster inducement.

Those latter 2 can only be enjoyed if Floyd extends with the Rams.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame

Inclined you say, that's almost a compliment. We can all see the value in Floyd over Everett, but he's McVay's boy and he stays. But if we had to choose, it's to re-sign JJ and Floyd and let Everett and Reynolds walk. Would like to keep 'em all as we repeat in these crowded salary cap times but after 3+ years of mediocrity I don't get the Everett love (from McVay.)

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams have many priority FA next year. Darious Williams like Floyd need to be re-signed. Whitworth, Hill, Reynolds, Ebukam, Havenstein and Johnson are probably gone next year. The new contracts will have to be cap friendly next year due to COVID impact but with the vaccine on the way with projected wide scale inoculations, next spring bodes well for the NFL's 2021 season. That will really change the contract structures on the extensions escalating from 2022 onwards.

Floyd, Brown and Williams would seem to be their priority signings next year. I think Shelton will receive a two year deal and could be a Corbett like player at Center. He moves better and would bring more power to the interior line.

Regarding Whitworth I'd love him to join the coaching staff, replacing Kromer who's duties have largely been taken over by O'Connell. IMO Kromer was kept as "insurance" for a rookie OC but O'Connell has proved himself to be a pretty good OC. Whitworth has already been mentoring the young guys.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the O-line finally changes into a "normal" unit with

LT Noteboom
LG Corbett
C Shelton / Allen
RG Evans
RT Edwards

As well as the o-line as played they are forced to play too much max protect on passing downs. Havenstein struggles with speed and Blythe is easily overmatched particularly on stunts and he still struggles on the second level. Shelton would bring a lot more power and mobility to the interior of the line and it would become a good between the tackles run attack unit.

What I see is a well paid core on both sides of the ball, with quality depth around them. I really don't forsee any real cap issues in the forseeable future.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The Rams have many priority FA next year. Darious Williams like Floyd need to be re-signed. Whitworth, Hill, Reynolds, Ebukam, Havenstein and Johnson are probably gone next year. The new contracts will have to be cap friendly next year due to COVID impact but with the vaccine on the way with projected wide scale inoculations, next spring bodes well for the NFL's 2021 season. That will really change the contract structures on the extensions escalating from 2022 onwards.

Floyd, Brown and Williams would seem to be their priority signings next year. I think Shelton will receive a two year deal and could be a Corbett like player at Center. He moves better and would bring more power to the interior line.

Regarding Whitworth I'd love him to join the coaching staff, replacing Kromer who's duties have largely been taken over by O'Connell. IMO Kromer was kept as "insurance" for a rookie OC but O'Connell has proved himself to be a pretty good OC. Whitworth has already been mentoring the young guys.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the O-line finally changes into a "normal" unit with

LT Noteboom
LG Corbett
C Shelton / Allen
RG Evans
RT Edwards

As well as the o-line as played they are forced to play too much max protect on passing downs. Havenstein struggles with speed and Blythe is easily overmatched particularly on stunts and he still struggles on the second level. Shelton would bring a lot more power and mobility to the interior of the line and it would become a good between the tackles run attack unit.

What I see is a well paid core on both sides of the ball, with quality depth around them. I really don't forsee any real cap issues in the forseeable future.

Is Blythe a FA after this year?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The other issue with Floyd is that it will be really hard to turn down a top dollar deal,
coming off winning a Superbowl and all...

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Yes @ Juggs he's a FA 4 2021

I know Whit is getting older and injured, but he's played at a High level this year.

Until he shows his age and wants to keep going next year,I'm keeping him.

And DW is the player I'd like to keep be4 some others.

Please what's the Cap going to be ??? Lol

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I'd bet Floyd goes where Staley's at next year.
Hope both are here!
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I swear the Rams have been poached of more coaches than all other teams combined over the last 4 years.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

LT Noteboom
LG Corbett
C Shelton / Allen
RG Evans
RT Edwards

At least DW is a restricted FA, not quite as expensive.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I let Everett, Reynolds and yes, even JJ3 walk.
I focus on locking up Darious Williams and keeping enough space open to be able to move on a FA LT if the Rams don't have someone in house capable of holding that position down at a high level.
If at all possible, I would like to keep Floyd... but if we will lose Staley, Floyd's value to our team might not be the same so really, his future is going to determine how we build our defense going forward.
With or without Staley, Darious Williams is a must to lock-up, imo,

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I see ppl here say how nice it is for Floyd to play alongside AD. In Chicago he had Hakeem Nicks and Khalil Mack.

How much is it really the AD affect and how much of it is the playing for a big contract affect?

I prefer to resign JJ and Darius before Signing Floyd.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
I see ppl here say how nice it is for Floyd to play alongside AD. In Chicago he had Hakeem Nicks and Khalil Mack.

How much is it really the AD affect and how much of it is the playing for a big contract affect?

I prefer to resign JJ and Darius before Signing Floyd.
Agree with that Last part especially
Didn't KD say back in March that Cooper, Jalen and JJ3 were the guys they wanted to keep.

Well there's 2 of them,what happened to part 3. ??

Asking Price,Performance of others, imho it's very rare KD says we wanna sign this player and it doesn't happen. Jmho.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He sure has played well enough to earn a 3 to 4 yr new contract but the Rams can not afford anything close to that 10 million a year. Never the less I sure would work on Floyd & try to sell him the life as a RAM & the fact this defense fits him nicely & sure makes him look so damn good in it. The weather is sure better than in Chicago & the home house is the best in the world.

End the end I would suspect he will exit stage right elsewhere to about 30 different teams who can certainly pay better.

If it's my decision I going to use that 2nd rd selection for an Edge Rusher unless there is a bona fide pure LT prospect available late in that 2nd round. Rams do not need for that LT to play in 2021 & he can cook for at least a season.

There is still a chance that Noteboom will be very good for the rest of the season & on top of that, he will return for one last season in 2021. So a backup LT may not be a big need this season. There is also other less talented LT prospects like Bobby Evans & Tremayne Anchrum who will be looking for a starting post,

But after all that said I will plan on draft the best ER Floyd type replacement with that top 2nd pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I know it's a longshot at best but I want Floyd locked up. :cool:(y)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think we can afford him. I like Leonard, but I think, like Fowler, he gets priced out of our range. We should keep signing promising guys who are looking to "prove it" for a year next to Donald. I wonder if Clowney might fit that description next off-season. Maybe take a relatively affordable one year deal to put up a big year with Donald to set up his final contract.