So, how many rookies will start this year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Just a few, I think. Such is the talent level of our roster. And trading away premium picks didn't help.

And yet, despite all, I see three. Maybe four depending on how one defines "starter".

They say that any draft that yields 3 starters is a damned good draft.

Goff. Might be opening day. Maybe a few games into the season. But surely by mid season, don't you think?

Higbee. Clearly our pass catching TE of the future. Gonna be lots of 2 TE sets, of course. But Higbee meets my definition of a starter.

Either Cooper or Spruce in the slot. It's gonna be one or the other, I think.

Maaaaaybe both of them could be on the field at the same time in certain sets? But that wouldn't meet the definition of starter, strictly speaking, would it?

Don't see any other likely rookie starters on O, barring an extreme calamity.

Don't see a single rookie starter cracking this D, either.

Still, 3 rookie starters out of a draft class of a 1st, two 4ths, and three 6ths is pretty danged good, IMO. Kinda remarkable, when one thinks about it. Certainly exceeded my expectations. And those of probably 90% of pundits.

Helluva job, S&F.

Not too bad with the UDFA's either, come to think of it.

Big Game

Living The Dream
I will say three at least. I can see Goff, Cooper and Higbee as starters. Hell I believe Spruce and possibly the DB Hill make the team and get playing time as well.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just a few, I think. Such is the talent level of our roster. And trading away premium picks didn't help.

And yet, despite all, I see three. Maybe four depending on how one defines "starter".

They say that any draft that yields 3 starters is a damned good draft.

Goff. Might be opening day. Maybe a few games into the season. But surely by mid season, don't you think?

Higbee. Clearly our pass catching TE of the future. Gonna be lots of 2 TE sets, of course. But Higbee meets my definition of a starter.

Either Cooper or Spruce in the slot. It's gonna be one or the other, I think.

Maaaaaybe both of them could be on the field at the same time in certain sets? But that wouldn't meet the definition of starter, strictly speaking, would it?

Don't see any other likely rookie starters on O, barring an extreme calamity.

Don't see a single rookie starter cracking this D, either.

Still, 3 rookie starters out of a draft class of a 1st, two 4ths, and three 6ths is pretty danged good, IMO. Kinda remarkable, when one thinks about it. Certainly exceeded my expectations. And those of probably 90% of pundits.

Helluva job, S&F.

Not too bad with the UDFA's either, come to think of it.
I too can see Higbee, Cooper and Spruce starting at some point this Season, along with Goff of course! And, Like @BigGame said, I hope Hill makes the Team too!:cool:
That's about it for now, BUT we're only going into PS Game #2! We'll see what happens!!;):D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see no clear rookie starters in 2016. I could see 4th round draft pick TE Higbee & UDFA DE Ian Seau getting a ton of action if they continue to play like they did this past Saturday.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'll assume the following will be "starters" this year. Not sure if it's by game one, but by end of year:

* QB Goff. They tooled the offense for him, dude is going to start. They're just trying to lower the hoopla around him.
* WR Cooper. He will be starting in the slot at some point and will help this team this year.
* TE Higbee. Already our best receiving option tbh, Kendricks has a monster behind him on the depth chart.

lockdnram21

Legend
Higbee, Goff, and Cooper( spruce still has to make the team first) even if he do make them it will be either him or Cooper atarting. Hell their both Slot receivers

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
DE Ian Seau getting a ton of action if they continue to play like they did this past Saturday.

I feel that Matt Longacre was more disruptive than Seau and if Ian Seau was Ian Moore for example, I don't think he would be the subject of some conversations or communications.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I feel that Matt Longacre was more disruptive than Seau and if Ian Seau was Ian Moore for example, I don't think he would be the subject of some conversations or communications.

You will get no real argument out of me here den.....I already think that UDFA 2nd season Matt Longacre is far ahead of old slow Eugene Sims as far who should be the back up behind Rob Quinn on this 53 player roster. I am really down on Sims value to this 2016 defense team. I think its ZERO now.

The question of Quinn & his ability to play comes into play fully here with Ian. If Quinn is not healthy then the pass rush ability of Ian Seau magnifies greatly! But yes Longacre is a true keeper!

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'm STILL saying Thomas. Yes he had 2 drops and zero catches, but, I'm willing to chalk that up to rookie jitters. He got open enough on both his chances. That's more than some of the vets can say (I'm looking at you, Quick). I think he'll bounce back.

…..

Legend
Cooper wont start .....Fish will start Tavon and Britt.

Goff will eventually start.

Higbee may eventually start, depends on game plan, 1st quarter scripts. For that matter, Cooper could start, depending on scripts too. But he'll never get listed as the starter....it'll just happen despite the published starters.

Matter of fact.....its probably depth chart that signifies "starters" anyway, so Goff is the only one I see getting listed #1 on the depth chart.

A55VA6

Legend
Goff at some point and Higbee will start. He'll be in 2 TE sets plus Rams will line him up as a WR quite a bit. Coop should start in the slot.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Goff and Higbeast for sure at some point this season and 1 of Cooper, Spruce or Duke Williams will start early and by mid season 2 of those 3 will be starting. On D the only way I see a rookie getting starts is if a vet goes down. So I dont want to see any rookies start on D. There will be the usual UDFA that starts on ST also, unfortunately I didnt pay attention to the STs very much other than punt returners, and as much as I would love for Spruce to make the roster as a WR, I dont want to see him returning punts. Not that he looked terrible at it, but Cooper and Chase Reynolds both field punts better IMO. So counting STs 4 or 5 rookies will start 4 or more games. Duke Williams is gonna surprise a lot of people, he was hard not to notice at TC.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm looking for Goff & Higbee day one...in frisco...

I'm looking for Quick to beat out Britt or Tavon....let Tavon & Coop run the plays in...or however they do that now...
on defense...
I'm looking for Westbrooks to finally get some serious run...esp on 3rd down..

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Agreed, den.

Another thing. Longacre did his impressive work in the 1st half against more talented players.

Seau did his work against the scrubs.

No disrespect for Seau, but still...

Just trying to keep it real.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see no clear rookie starters in 2016. I could see 4th round draft pick TE Higbee & UDFA DE Ian Seau getting a ton of action if they continue to play like they did this past Saturday.

I find myself in agreement with you about 95% of the time, Bonifay.

Have for years going back waaaaay before I joined this board.

But I've gotta say that your above post has stunned me.

You realize that it's not necessary to be a starter on opening day to still fit the definition of starter this year?

Goff is a lead pipe cinch, if you ask me. Only question is when, not if.

Higbee is gonna be a beast as a pass receiving TE. This year. I don't see how that's even debatable at this point.

Either Cooper (if he really picks it up) or Spruce will be our slot WR. I consider a slot WR as a "starter", much like a slot CB, or second TE in two TE sets.

Saaaaay...

What is your position on mermaids? Or dinosaurs? Just kidding, man. Lol.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I find myself in agreement with you about 95% of the time, Bonifay.Have for years going back waaaaay before I joined this board. But I've gotta say that your above post has stunned me. You realize that it's not necessary to be a starter on opening day to still fit the definition of starter this year? Goff is a lead pipe cinch, if you ask me. Only question is when, not if. Higbee is gonna be a beast as a pass receiving TE. This year. I don't see how that's even debatable at this point.

Either Cooper (if he really picks it up) or Spruce will be our slot WR. I consider a slot WR as a "starter", much like a slot CB, or second TE in two TE sets.

Saaaaay...

What is your position on mermaids? Or dinosaurs? Just kidding, man. Lol.

Ref Higbee, to start he must beat out Lance Kendricks. Now I do believe Higbee will certainly make more noise in the passing game than Lance will, But when it comes to those LOS run & pass blocking events Higbee will remain on the sideline & it will be Lance(TE) & Cory (FB)doing the heavy more important lifting. I see both of these players as starters. There is only 11 starters on offense in my small mind.

That brings me to Cooper or Spruce....I see our 2 starting WR's as TA & Britt. I do not consider a slot WR as a starting wide out. I see 11 posts. I do not see either Cooper nor Spruce beating those two above mentioned starters out this season. Next year it's a totally different story.

Now onto my position on Goff. I might be the only member here that does not see him being a legit starter with Fisher this season if both Case & Sean are healthy. I see Goff as the opening season starter in 2017. I sure hope I am 100% wrong & your totally right on this subject.

Oh just to respond to all of your post..... I do not believe there were ever half fish half women living in the seas. Yes I believe 100% in dino's.