So, how does this ‘22 Ram team compare to the SB winning ‘21 version?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This is obviously a premature comparison since FA isn’t finished, trades are always a possibility, and the draft is still 3 weeks away. Not to mention the Snead options that will be available cap-wise after restructuring AD and Kupp.

But I’m feeling antsy today and the more I dwell on this topic the more optimistic I become.

Let’s see…

Let’s start with the Rams O.

Stafford is more comfortable with McVay and this O. He’s clearly better determined what he can and cannot do with his weapons in this system compared to when he first joined the team. The importance of this alone can’t be overstated.

I don’t see how Stafford/Kupp could improve their late season mind meld, but it might just be barely possible. And besides, they can pick up in September and build on it this season whereas last year it took a handful of games to really click together and give us a glimpse of what was to come.

I loved Woods, too, but Robinson is a big step up as a Stafford-type WR. Significant upgrade here.

Akers will be 100% from Day 1.’Nuff said. Huge upgrade.

Boom will be a push compared to Whit in pass pro, but maybe a slight downgrade in the run game compared to the 40 year old Whit.

Allen might have an even better year after his confidence building ‘21 season.

Don’t look now but we may have a couple of TE’s behind Higbee in Blanton and Hopkins that have had that challenging and long developing TE breakthrough.

The positive comparisons on D is a shorter list.

Wagner is a significant upgrade vs Reeder. And his versatility gives Morris huge options to disguise and explore.

Jones will be starting from opening day this year and is already miles ahead of his early season rookie version. Significant upgrade here.

Rochell is POTENTIALLY an upgrade over the ‘21 DW version. Emphasis’21 version. He’s gotta learn fast and stay healthy but his potential is sky high given his athleticism.

I’ve become a rather big Scott honk. Scott really won me over when given the chance and I’d love to see him starting this year. Scott and Wagner have made Rapp expendable, imo, and I would hope for a Rapp trade in exchange for a pick or player at a position needing depth. Anyway, I see Scott as an upgrade for this season. I doubt that Deebo will be as excited. Lol.

ST is another upgrade over early ‘21.

For openers, DeCamillis started slow but eventually made the needed improvements. I now feel that he is proven capable of fielding a solid overall ST in all 4 phases. That’s huge.

Gay is a proven Pro Bowler. We didn’t know that last September.

Powell is a damned stud as returner and he will be available for all 17 games. That’s an infinitely better situation than last September.

Just a word about our coaches vs last year.

McVay has grown in one area vs last September, imo. He now better understands the value of the running game and more importantly he has learned not to abandon it too soon. This is a big growth building block for McVay and I am beyond impressed. It will pay dividends for the rest of his career.

While there has been once again tremendous turnover in our coaching ranks let’s not forget that they were for promotions elsewhere. IOW, McVay keeps hiring great teachers and quick developers of talent drafted in the mid to late rounds. I see NO reason not to expect more of the same from his newest hires and internal promotions. He continues to have his virtual ‘pick of the litter’ when it comes to coaching hires.

In fact, I suspect that Coen will prove to be an actual upgrade over O’Connell. There, I said it.

I can’t leave this coaching topic without mentioning the vast growth of Raheem Morris as the season progressed. The season ending/playoff version of Morris was light years ahead of the September version. I can’t think of a bigger ‘22 upgrade over the ‘21 version of the Rams, tbh. And we will have this version of Morris from opening day onward. Huge.

Now, we must address perceived downgrades from the ‘21 version.

I see a potential for regression at RG with the departure of Corbett. Shelton might be more than adequate and Rams clearly seem happy with their depth but I will feel better only after seeing actual evidence on the field.

I would like to see a 3rd RB taken somewhere in the draft. Our RB’s after Akers and Hendy don’t fill me with confidence. This draft reportedly is deep with RB’s well into the late rounds. RB is not a regression vs early last year but I’m just thinking out loud a bit here.

In summary, on Offense, I guess I’m seeing only a potential regression at RG on O vs last year in September, huh? That’s amazing.

Regression on D is obvious, starting with the loss of Von Miller. Yeah, it’s true that Miller wasn’t onboard in September last year (Rams were actually 7-2 before his arrival) but his impact was so profound that it would be foolish to pretend that it can be ignored. Hopefully, Snead can pull a solid vet out of his hat or execute a trade for same predraft.

DW is gone, so technically that’s a regression. Then again, Rochell might be a very pleasant surprise. Honestly, the disappointing ‘21 version of DW won’t be all that hard to replace, right? Plus, there’s the draft in a pretty decent CB class.

Rams lost SJD but he had already been beat out by Gaines so that’s hardly a regression. And Bobby Brown is waiting in the wings so that DL looks fine vs last years version.

Frankly, I’m hard pressed to see other regression on this ‘22 version on D vs the ‘21 version.

ST has absolutely no regression vs last year. Quite the contrary.

Mind you, Rams still have FA and trade opportunities plus the draft before this comparison can be complete, but I must say that after re-reading the above I am even more optimistic about this still being constructed’22 Rams version.

NFC opponents will NOT be looking forward to playing this ‘22 Ram team. Trust me…

Thoughts?

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
2nd year with Morris as DC will be a positive, similar to Stafford's second year.

Imo, Rams start 2022 on D better than they started 2021. Miller was not there to start the season in 2021, and significant losses in 2021 offseason including DC.

Rams O starts 2022 better than 2021 only because Stafford has more experience. Loss of Whit is biggest part of puzzle for 2022, offset by 2021 improvements in Allen especially.

STs will be fine. Hekker loss may hurt, but can't see ST starting 2022 as badly as they started 2021.

All in all, Rams are better positioned entering 2022 than entering 2021 imo.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OBJs contested catches were big - we will have that all year with ARob.

Miller didn't start making an impact until week.....15?

We will have Wagner all year.

Williams was pretty mediocre most of the year, but that is a potential downgrade.

Overall the only question mark in my mind is the OL. But McVay has earned the trust there.

All three units should be better. A lot better.

Last year we went 9-2 outside the West and 3-3 against our rivals. I expect 5-1 this season.

Outside the division we have:

Home/at SOFI: Broncos, Raiders, Chargers, Bills, Cowboys, Panthers, Falcons

Road: Chiefs, Packers, Bucs, Saints

I think we can go at least 2-2 in those road games. The Chiefs and Packers aren't nearly as scary without their WRs.

Minimum of 5-2 in those home games outside the division.

So 12-5 at the minimum.

I know this sounds crazy but I think we have a legit chance to go 17-0. 10 games at SOFI, only four games outside the Pacific time zone. And there of them are likely to be primetime/late window games.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
At worse, it's a push. But I believe we got better. Our bugaboo was vs the run. With Gaines, A'Shawn (Bobby Brown) and Wagner & Jones in the middle that is no longer an issue. Pass rush? I have read we didn't pressure the QB much before Miller joined us but we had 29 sacks the first 9 games and 22 the last 8.

Here's some numbers I found interesting.

AD first 9 games (no VM): 6 sacks, 7 TFL, 14 QBH //// last 8 g: 6.5 sacks, 12 TFL, 11 QBH
Floyd first 9: 7.5 sacks, 8 TFL, 12 QBH //// last 8 g: 2 sacks, 2 TFL, 6 QBH
Gaines first 9: 1.5 sacks, 1 TFL, 6 QBH //// last 8 g: 3 sacks, 3 TFL, 7 QBH
SJD & TLew first 9: 6 sacks, 7 TFL, 8 QBH //// TLew was only active for 2 games
A'Shawn first 9: 0 sacks, 0 TFL, 0 QBH //// last 8 g: 2 sacks, 2 TFL, 2 QBH
..................................................................................//// Miller last 8 g: 5 sacks, 12 TFL, 8

I know everybody credits Miller for helping get us to the SB and that has some truth to it. But Gaines and A'Shawn played much better in the 2nd half of the season. Was that because Miller was a Ram?

I think we're going to be better on D.

On O?
Agree that Stafford's 2nd year in the system should be better. The addition of Robinson will make a difference and one (or 2) of the young guys could step up......Atwell, Harris, Skowronek, Blanton or Hopkins. Plus, you know McSnead will be drafting another RB and either a WR or TE.

The O line is the question. Will we see a drop off, leveling or improvement without Whit and Corbett?

I think the O will be fine, if not better.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Think we'll have a good feel for what to expect here soon after the draft. Still some shit to fill.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I don’t know if the defense will play better this coming season, but I do feel better about this team because of the addition of Wagner. I’m really excited to have two quality ILBers for the first time in a long time.

There will still be some additions to this team, but I really wish that the Rams would have signed Arden Key. Even if he was just a depth signing I would have felt much better about the other EDGE position. I think Hollins and Lewis could be a good rotation. However, I think Key could have really solidified the spot.

I’m not sure what the plan is for adding another CB. I am not a fan of adding Gilmore. If he’s added so be it, but I would prefer someone else. I don’t know if the Giants would still trade Bradberry, but he could be a really nice addition to the secondary.

If the Rams find a way to add a quality EDGE and/or CB before the season I’ll feel much better about this team (not that I’m worried). Im excited to see what Raheem can do with a second year leading this defense.

I’m not really worried about the offense at all. I do want to see some IOL depth added, and if it is possible, to add another RB to the rotation. I’m not too concerned about that depth being someone like Michel or a draft pick.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I disagree. I think crucial roles will be filled in the draft.
They're all crucial roles. Offense, defense, special teams and backups to all. But what crucial roles do you have in mind? McSnead need to be on point in this draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My biggest concern aside from the running game is that McVay, Morris, and Stafford have learned a lesson from their mistakes of last November and never let them be repeated.

Also I’d like McVay to finally have a legitimate answer to the way the Patriots, Bengals and other teams have defended against the zone blocking scheme.

If they have remedy these two problems then the 2022 Rams should be great.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I can’t wait to see how it plays out, the Brady led Bucs were ready to “run it back”, with basically the same team that won it all. To me they were lucky to get as far as they did with all the injuries and other crap that went on.
Mcsnead seem to want to go for it as long as it lasts and are definitely trying to improve on the team that got a ring. I love that attitude, anymore being exceptional for 4 or 5 years is about all you can expect. People expected multiple titles in kc and now it’s not inconceivable that they don’t win the division let alone the conference.

dang

Legend
The cool thing about the Rams is the entire season is an exercise in building the perfect beast. No stone unturned (see 2021 in: Michel, OBJ, Miller, Powell, Weddle and 2021 out: DivaJax, Young, Return Men). The Rams realize It’s a marathon not a sprint.

Ram65

Legend
Stafford said every team is different. The 2022 Rams will be different from the 2021 World Champion Super Bowl Champion Rams team.

It's still a long long way till the end of the regular season. So far the Rams have navigated the changing personnel without missing a beat. Noteboom is ready to take over for Whit. Robinson will be ready to take over for a combination of Woods and OBJ. Losing Miller is offset by gaining Wagner.

At this time in the offseason, all teams have question marks to answer. The Rams have a few questions to answer heading into the draft and the remaining free agency decisions. Most teams don't find the answers like the Rams have in the recent past. I'm looking forward to their answers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like where we are at right now.

Places we need beefed up; RB, CB Edge we can still get via FA, trade, or draft.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
You all have covered most of my thoughts on this. I do expect Van to make strides this year. Kid has all of the tools. Just needs the toughness.

As others have stated, would like to see more CB depth and another book end on the DL.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think overall, this team is better than last years, which is why it puzzles me when every talking head keeps ranking Tampa Bay and even at times, Green Bay, over us as favorites in the NFC.

"Never bet against Tom Brady?" Really? We have been beating his ass a 1000 percent since he left Bellicheat.....

dang

Legend
If rather be a bit of an underdog than the prematurely crowned champ. It leaves a chip on the shoulders especially for any new players that weren’t part of the super bowl run last year.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don’t see how any reasonable and unbiased person could rank either the Bucs or the Packers ahead of Rams in a SB run this year. Defies all logic.

Tbh, the 49ers have been Rams toughest opponent recently and now Morris has apparently solved that run D problem vs 49ers plus solved Jimmy G, too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right now it's much weaker because this team isn't a finished product and this thread is at least a month too early.