Snisher had an epiphony

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Just wrong, man. That's not the case.

-No Watkins because they beleived in what they had
-No QB high because they beleive in Sam
-Robinson because he's a Fisher kind of mauler
-They expected to do it with Sam
-They got Hill just in case, which is, "the case

I beleive in this team.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm glad you guys sat in on the meetings. Otherwise you couldn't be so sure. o_O

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Man - I dunno. I finally got to watch Sam's play against Cleveland. Not only was he scanning the field but tossing dimes to his receivers for the most part. That ability is what Fish was looking at. You just don't know how susceptible to an injury someone might be. But when you look at what Sam is able to do, you almost HAVE to believe. I even think that restructuring Sam and having him sit out until he is TRULY healed might not be a bad bet. That talent is hard to find. Watch his passes compared to many other QBs and it is stark IMO. But the sad reality is that he may indeed be one that has weak structure. It pains me to say that but....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hundley and Marriota are both horses with guns, who will gain valuable experience because they went back to college this year. We could win with one of those guys the way this team is built, if they make progress with their reading of defenses.
You're a West Coast guy Doc. Did you really look at Mariota's play and think NFL QB? I'm not saying I know jack but I really didn't see it.

Moostache

Rookie
images

RamzFanz

Damnit
Man - I dunno. I finally got to watch Sam's play against Cleveland. Not only was he scanning the field but tossing dimes to his receivers for the most part. That ability is what Fish was looking at. You just don't know how susceptible to an injury someone might be. But when you look at what Sam is able to do, you almost HAVE to believe. I even think that restructuring Sam and having him sit out until he is TRULY healed might not be a bad bet. That talent is hard to find. Watch his passes compared to many other QBs and it is stark IMO. But the sad reality is that he may indeed be one that has weak structure. It pains me to say that but....

Dude, I hear ya, and it's not just the Jambalaya talking. Sam was throwing freaking darts and going long with confidence. I was pumped!

Now go back to the sinking feeling last season and, as a coach, and with Bradford's injury issues, your job and reputation on the line THIS season, decide what you would do. Keep building around him or turn the ship towards what they had and what they could get?

I think they turned the ship and, in retrospect, I think it was pretty smart. If they hadn't, wouldn't they have stocked up on O line and/or speedster receivers to make use of that arm? Why would you draft running play O line, D line, and RB?

If Sam makes it back we are golden, but if this happens you aren't stuck with a team dependent on an arm that isn't there.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I would buy this if our QBOTF was currently on our roster. I'm all in on Hill and honestly think we are OK with him THIS YEAR. But, he's 35. Maybe we win a Lombardi with him (i am still in the camp that thinks we can) but he's not our QB of the future either. If there was anything to your conspiracy we'd have something locked in the wings...Unless you are saying it's Gilbert/Davis. I guess for purposes of this season though, I may as well just get my tin foil hat too. You might be right. Go Rams!!!!

RamzFanz

Damnit
-No Watkins because they beleived in what they had - Who believed in Quick or Britt before training camp? Many still don't believe. Would TA, Bailey, and Cook carried us to a Championship with Bradford? Nope. We ALL knew Bradford needed either an upgrade at WR or emergence of a WR. It's well documented here.

-No QB high because they beleive in Sam - No QB high because they had Hill and weren't building a QB dependent team anymore. It's the basis of my point. They decided they HAD to go another direction because, as we ALL agree, SB has had a lot of injuries and missed games and was not dependable. Talented? God yes! Dependable? Nope.

-Robinson because he's a Fisher kind of mauler - Exactly. He's Fisher's kind of mauler. The exact opposite of a spread pass-first offense they tried and failed at last season. If you are expecting to lose your laser arm long ball QB, what do you want? A running play mauler and even more RB talent who just HAPPENS to have run behind that very same mauler. Did you see a RB being drafted in the third round? I didn't. Stacey and Cunningham looked pretty good to me.

-They expected to do it with Sam - They WANTED to do it with Sam. Anyone who EXPECTED to do it with Sam, with his injury history, would be foolhardy, me included. Probably to the last person on this board, we all prefaced our hopes and dreams with Sam as "if he stays healthy" or "if he can stay on the field". Those who didn't... well... who didn't?

-They got Hill just in case, which is, "the case" - Maybe. Could be it was simple and that Hill was better than KC so they swapped. OR, maybe they saw Hill and thought that's the talent we need to win when SB goes down and he has enough tread left in his career to allow us to go get our next QB that fits into what we are building.

I'm only looking at their decisions and seeing in hindsight the things I PERSONALLY didn't think made sense compared to what they were telling us. Many others, even those that are disagreeing with my big theory, also didn't see the sense in what they were saying vs what they were doing.

They turned the ship. They did it, because they did it, but now we have a season ahead of us instead of just heartbreak.

The alternative is that they bet it all on SB and lost OR will just get lucky.

Am I right? We may never know.

*DISCLAIMER - I'm drinking heavily and X is an asshole for not backing me. That's the last time I "like" your gifs X.

Last edited:

Back Jlack

UDFA
Name
Back Jlack
i partially agree, i think the epiphany was more like "we are a run first team. The offense will rally around this idea" hence robinson and mason as opposed to watkins and a high round guard

RamzFanz

Damnit
i partially agree, i think the epiphany was more like "we are a run first team. The offense will rally around this idea" hence robinson and mason as opposed to watkins and a high round guard

Exactly

Except that makes no sense if you have faith you have an elite QB who is being paid massive amounts of money, is dependable, and the reason you were willing to take the job. If they CONTINUED to expect Bradford to come back and be reliable, why change horses in the middle of the stream? Why not protect him and add to his arsenal when they had 2 solid runningbacks and a kickass passrush already?

I'm not sure they have any idea what the heck they're doing to be fair, this theory is more logical as not drafting a QB with the number 2 pick, and then sending out a LT who wasn't ready to protect Sam so I'll go for it at least under this theory they don't look like complete idiots, only a 9 on the idiocy scale.

Limey

Rookie
I don't think you can really fault Snead for the way they prepared for this season. They got a big upgrade at No2 QB in case Bradford got hurt again - they couldn't predict it would happen before the season even started.
They also picked up a QB in round 6 that looks like he has the tools to make it in the NFL. He certainly isn't ready yet, but it isn't clear that any of the potential round 1 picks would be, either. With some experience around an NFL organisation, he could have a shot in a year or two. His tools seem to be a lot better than Davis', who seems to have benefited from being around the Rams for 2 years, and already looks much better than he did last year.

Instead of rolling the dice on a mediocre-looking bunch of round 1 QBs, they got a potential Pro Bowl OL who can dominate at guard at this season and, with Coach Boo's help and a bit of experience, do the same at LT in the future. They got another potential stud running back to spell Stacy and Cunningham, and stocked up the secondary with 2 CBs and 2 safeties, plus they added the most exciting defensive player in the draft behind Clowney. They are only being second guessed now because of the injury. OK, Bradford has been injured before, but I don't see that they had a perfect solution even if they had known that he was going to be hurt. At this point, the Mason pick could be portrayed as an unnecessary luxury, but it's too early to say how good he is going to be, and if it had been Stacy hurt last week instead of Bradford (and Stacy did get dinged up a lot last season) there would be complaints about a potential lack of depth at RB.

I don't think we should lose sight of how far our roster has come in 2 years in terms of quality, and even with a backup QB and playing in the toughest division in the NFL, I'm still hopeful of finishing at 8-8, or better if the defence improves as much as I hope under Williams. As for next year, let's see how Hill does this year before assuming we need an instant starter.

Rambition

Rookie
I would buy this if our QBOTF was currently on our roster. I'm all in on Hill and honestly think we are OK with him THIS YEAR. But, he's 35. Maybe we win a Lombardi with him (i am still in the camp that thinks we can) but he's not our QB of the future either. If there was anything to your conspiracy we'd have something locked in the wings...Unless you are saying it's Gilbert/Davis. I guess for purposes of this season though, I may as well just get my tin foil hat too. You might be right. Go Rams!!!!
agreed, although i believe shaun is actually 34.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Can someone name a team in the NFL who has 2 starting qb,s on their roster? I couldn't think of one. I never for a minute thought the Rams would draft a qb to replace Sam in 6-7 years time. They will now and for a lot sooner! Hope it don't cost too much to trade down from 32! Hope whoever they draft has as much potential as Sam!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

He was 4-9 against the Browns first team

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You're a West Coast guy Doc. Did you really look at Mariota's play and think NFL QB? I'm not saying I know jack but I really didn't see it.
I think in today's NFL, with our team, the way it's built, he can play. He needs some work, and I don't know his ability to learn a playbook, think, all those whacky signs, to run plays, but he has a good arm, and is a tremendous athlete. I like both of them better than J. Football. He is really fast, faster than any other of the QB's, he can throw on the run. I'm not sure he's coming out, he's young, and also coming off of an injury.

What did I think?? I thought, when I watched him, that he was a tremendous playmaker. I don't necessarily want a running QB on my team. I like Hundley better as an NFL prospect, and he doesn't run as much as Mariota, even though they run the read option stuff. He's big and durable too. I have a feeling that Mora will allow to have Hundley run, and be taught more NFL type stuff this year. I think he will help prepare him better for the NFL.

Last edited:

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Man - I dunno. I finally got to watch Sam's play against Cleveland. Not only was he scanning the field but tossing dimes to his receivers for the most part.

That 3rd and 25 throw, 35 yards downfield on a rope to Britt... that was awesome! That's rare ability (which we've presumably lost).

I would buy this if our QBOTF was currently on our roster. I'm all in on Hill and honestly think we are OK with him THIS YEAR.

+1 and worth repeating. Imho, the QB is the most important position on the field for long term team success including fan appreciation. I'm talking 7-10 years of the same guy calling the signals and we can't get that with 34 year old Shaun Hill. Love him or hate him, Bradford WAS our QBOTF. Had the Rams won the Super Bowl in 2014 with a Bradford comeback / breakout year, the Rams still could have had 10 more seasons in him. Now, who knows?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He was 4-9 against the Browns first team
Yes - and one of those incompletions was very much due to Cook coming out of his break VERY sloppy. Still - the idea was to open it up a bit. The long one to TA was overthrown for sure but he also averaged over 19 yards per completion.