Snead's Morning Press Conference

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
30 million guaranteed in 2 yrs Tru is turning into the cb version of Sam Bradford. Jenkins gotta be thinking wtf just happened lol.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
. Especially if Tru has a decent season in Phillips defense and suddenly our choice is pay whatever Tru wants or tag him again for $20 million in 2018. Just keep kicking that can down the road..

That tag cost would be closer to 23M...the third year is 144% of the second year tag paid.....

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
You can't tag a non QB three times.

Where did you see that...as far as I can tell that changed and any player can be ....just with the 144% rules. Could be wrong just not finding that anywhere....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-franchise-tag-salary-cap-happened-for-reason

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-to-be-tagged-in-2016/?utm_term=.26705ac66414
note article uses Cousins as example, but does not limit it to just QBs

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...nsition-difference/1w7mwh36nqnfw1qb7lne9t9ka0

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So the smart thing would be to draft two corners, keep Johnson and let the chips fall where they may. The following year they'll know who they want to keep.

I believe they'll let Johnson play on the tag for the season, and use it to bridge the gap for the CB they will draft. And yeah, it might be 2 CBs, depending on what they think of the rest of these guys.

But again, I do expect Johnson to show very well under Wade. Phillips' defense is simpler for the players in their responsibilities and they'll play faster, and Johnson won't be on an island so he'll be lined up on the LOS where his size should be a nice benefit.

And lastly if they do let him play for the year under the tag, it's no big deal. It's still not so much money where they won't be able to add the other pieces they want, and one could argue it's better than signing him long-term without knowing if he's worth it in the defense they'll be running.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where did you see that...as far as I can tell that changed and any player can be ....just with the 144% rules. Could be wrong just not finding that anywhere....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-franchise-tag-salary-cap-happened-for-reason

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-to-be-tagged-in-2016/?utm_term=.26705ac66414
note article uses Cousins as example, but does not limit it to just QBs

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...nsition-difference/1w7mwh36nqnfw1qb7lne9t9ka0
Albright was talking about it on NFLN the other day. He could have meant they won't because of the cost escalation but I'm sure he said they can't. Hard to tell.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hate seeing that cap number count, but I don't mind tagging Tru.

Buys us time to decide which players are keepers from the Fisher era.

No long term commitment.

Frees up a bunch of cap next year if we decide to move on.

Glad to see they are focused on Donald. He's a no brainer.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I hate seeing that cap number count, but I don't mind tagging Tru.

Buys us time to decide which players are keepers from the Fisher era.

No long term commitment.

Frees up a bunch of cap next year if we decide to move on.

Glad to see they are focused on Donald. He's a no brainer.
Kevin and Les would be run out of town if "The Big D" as in Domi-freakin-nator is
not a Ram for the rest of his career.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Albright was talking about it on NFLN the other day. He could have meant they won't because of the cost escalation but I'm sure he said they can't. Hard to tell.

if it is the 44% increase for year 3 then I can't see it being used often if at all....Tru would be 23M for example, that is elite QB money which would be crazy

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He does....They play a LOT of press/man...and most can run....If Tru is serious about his craft, and is still athletic enough to play man all day, he could thrive. I personally think we coulda grabbed a couple rookies...maybe we target a edge rusher instead of 2 corners...
And don't forget Roby....I think he's gonna be their best db.

I think the thought process is to build future a couple young CB's , but need Tru this season to compete.
--I listened to Zimmers press conference & he talked about QB,Offensive lineman, & CB being the toughest postition to play as a rookie. The college game is so much different.
He said playing press & learning to use your hands is so much different. PIF gets called a lot more.
--Same as holding with GRob in how the referee's called holding on him. I believe he is going to have a real good season.--That's just me , thinking from a confidant standpoint .---

Snead talked about TE & Higbee being injured & McVay running 2 to 3 TE sets.
He said look for Tyler to have a big year. He also roomed with Jared Goff & will put in extra work.He has an excellent build & ability. Still lmao thinking how he got blown up on a play last year.--It was like welcome to The NFL rookie .
I think The Rams will add a TE in FA's next week. Wonder about Hemingway & Kendrick ? As much as I thought Lance had to go , maybe he performs better with less pressed & better coaching ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would offer Tru what he's worth. Maybe similar to what Jenkins got last year? I don't think he is better than Jenkins. If he won't negotiate a long-term deal, do whatever it takes to protect the Rams this year (draft more corners, trade him, tag him, whatever), and look at not having him next year. The Rams already screwed this up by tagging him last year.

I think The Rams are in the driver's seat .
What happened to Norman last year in Carolina ??? I thought they dropped the tag late ?? Wade needs to see him on the practice field. The Rams are just protecting themselves ??
Tru might be willing to negotiate a long term deal. I think it has to workout for both parties.
--- Snead(Rams) can't be expected to Evaluate Tru without the coaches knowing him as a player & a person . You are talking about a franchise player.
If you don't protect yourself & go into the draft with such a huge whole your screwed. Plus finding a FA' CB next week as well. If Wade loves CB on his defense you want the position to be
Stacked & a strength.

BTW -- this has nothing to do with the past . The Rams also have a top 3rd pick because JJ left. It's about The Rams future. You don't want to pay a guy like Tavon & have regrets.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams can create a lot of cap space next year, if they choose to do so. A lot of large contracts can be dumped with very little dead cap money.