Snead's Morning Press Conference

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
So far these are the highlights (feel free to post interesting tidbits as you see them):

• Looks like Britt is going to free agency.
  • They tagged Johnson because they wanted to see how he fits in Wade's defense before giving him a LT deal.
  • Higbee was hampered by injury last year.
  • Says Gurley's second year was a sophomore slump, said they need to get more help around him.
  • He loves the new helmets.

Psycho_X

Legend
So far these are the highlights (feel free to post interesting tidbits as you see them):

• Looks like Britt is going to free agency.
  • They tagged Johnson because they wanted to see how he fits in Wade's defense before giving him a LT deal.
  • Higbee was hampered by injury last year.
  • Says Gurley's second year was a sophomore slump, said they need to get more help around him.
  • He loves the new helmets.

Soooo, sounds like Tru will play under the tag for 2017 and they are not actively looking at a long term deal. That seems.... odd. Especially if Tru has a decent season in Phillips defense and suddenly our choice is pay whatever Tru wants or tag him again for $20 million in 2018. Just keep kicking that can down the road.

What'd he say about Quick???? Inquiring minds....

He probably wants to just brush that one under the rug and hope no one ever brings him up again.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait, we tagged tru and paid him 16 million to see if he fits the system? That's one heck of a prove it deal

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Soooo, sounds like Tru will play under the tag for 2017 and they are not actively looking at a long term deal. That seems.... odd. Especially if Tru has a decent season in Phillips defense and suddenly our choice is pay whatever Tru wants or tag him again for $20 million in 2018. Just keep kicking that can down the road.

Wade Phillips values corners highly in his defense (see Harris and Talib) and I think TruJo might be a good fit. But I understand waiting and seeing if he does well first before offering him a LT deal. You can bet they will give him a solid offer if he thrives next year. Another year also buys the Rams time to draft and develop a corner or get a few in FA. Without Johnson we would be screwed in the secondary for 2017.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wade Phillips values corners highly in his defense (see Harris and Talib) and I think TruJo might be a good fit.
He does....They play a LOT of press/man...and most can run....If Tru is serious about his craft, and is still athletic enough to play man all day, he could thrive. I personally think we coulda grabbed a couple rookies...maybe we target a edge rusher instead of 2 corners...
And don't forget Roby....I think he's gonna be their best db.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On second thought, maybe it's the years that are holding up this deal. Maybe les wanted to extend this debate another 2 years at like 11 million, but tru Maine wants his security now. I guess that would make sense

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Anybody have a toilet flushing sound file?
flush3.gif

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also we have to consider that long term deals for average players isn't always the best plan. Like les snead said, we can't let donald get away under any circumstances. We can't have tru become abother tavon situation. Okay I think I'm back down to earth

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Wade Phillips values corners highly in his defense (see Harris and Talib) and I think TruJo might be a good fit. But I understand waiting and seeing if he does well first before offering him a LT deal. You can bet they will give him a solid offer if he thrives next year. Another year also buys the Rams time to draft and develop a corner or get a few in FA. Without Johnson we would be screwed in the secondary for 2017.

I hope they pick up Kayvon Webster from Denver, makes perfect sense - a cheap talented young CB that's a bit of a ST demon and familiar with Phillips' defence - what's not to love!!

Ram65

Legend
They tagged Johnson because they wanted to see how he fits in Wade's defense before giving him a LT deal.

Doesn't seem to make sense to say that.

I don't think that is the real answer. I think they entertain trades and/or sign him to a long term deal. Seems like misdirection to me. Phillips has to know if he can play man bump and run defense.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Makes sense to me. It's not like he's Aaron Donald.

I'm not a draft guru, but I do keep hearing that it's supposed to be a strong draft for corners.

So the smart thing would be to draft two corners, keep Johnson and let the chips fall where they may. The following year they'll know who they want to keep.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Makes sense to me. It's not like he's Aaron Donald.

I'm not a draft guru, but I do keep hearing that it's supposed to be a strong draft for corners.

So the smart thing would be to draft two corners, keep Johnson and let the chips fall where they may. The following year they'll know who they want to keep.

It's a VERY strong draft for corners. Rams could get a mid-1st round talent with their 2nd round pick. If they pick up a stud then Johnson doesn't have nearly as much leverage in contract negotiations. It's a win-win.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Funny tidbit, he had the same opinion regarding uni changes that I shared. Thick blue stripe with white face mask.. ahh great minds think alike!(y)

..Now if I could just tap into his brain and tell him "Land Lamp, Jordan, or Reddick!!" :rolleyes:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would offer Tru what he's worth. Maybe similar to what Jenkins got last year? I don't think he is better than Jenkins. If he won't negotiate a long-term deal, do whatever it takes to protect the Rams this year (draft more corners, trade him, tag him, whatever), and look at not having him next year. The Rams already screwed this up by tagging him last year.