Snead should get questioned on TR trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
max said:
Here's Lombardi on TR before he took the Browns job. Guess he changed his mind.

By Michael Lombardi NFL Network
Front Office View
Published: April 23, 2012

Yogi Berra once said, "It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Well, that's exactly what I'm being asked to do with the 2012 NFL Draft. I'm not talking about my mock draft -- that comes Wednesday -- but rather a general overview of the three-day event.

Yogi is right: It is hard to make predictions, especially about the draft. So many teams try to hide their real intentions through deception. As much as teams love to lie, they cannot fully conceal reality. Many NFL teams' words to the media might be misleading, but their actions in free agency always tell the real story. That's the best indicator to consider come draft day. My advice is to ignore all the rhetoric and just trust your own instincts.

Here are 10 things that I believe to be true in this week's draft:

1. I believe the safest pick in the draft -- beyond Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III -- is Alabama running back Trent Richardson. He's a blue-chip player and has all the skills to quickly establish himself as a top-five player at his position. Forget the nonsense about not taking backs early -- everyone would love the chance to get this guy.
Lolol that is fucking epic man! These talking heads really do just spew off shit without even realizing what their typing. :roll:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Angry Ram said:
Warner4Prez said:
I think the Browns are huge winners in this one.
TRich...not all he's cracked up to be. 2 runs of 20+ yards in his career thus far, averaging something like 3 YPC, dropped the rock a few times last year. Sure he had a great college career, but that was with THE elite program, not going to be the case in his NFL career. By the end of this season, Colts fans will likely be up in arms they gave away a 1st rounder.

OMG what is it with the fascination w/ YPC?! They are MEANINGLESS. A high YPC just means longer runs that skew the average!

NINE TOUCHDOWNS. Plus 1 receiving. 950 yards rushing, over a thousand combined w/ receiving. He already has 2 TDs this year. The Rams' RBs? A big fat, goose egg.

He was the only weapon the Browns had. Now he goes to Indy, where teams won't stack the box up, b/c they'll have to deal w/ Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, and Coby Fleener. Conversely opponents won't keep blitzing on pass downs b/c they have Trent. Andrew Luck has to be ELATED he gets another weapon. What's a QBs best friend? A good running game. The only time the Colts' fans arms are gonna be up is when they go to the playoffs just like the Peyton days.

And while the media continues to bang the "it's a passing league, it's QB driven league" drum, the running game remains as important as ever, maybe more so now.

Look @ some of the better teams and how they are doing:

Houston- Arian Foster, Ben Taint. 2-0.

Cincinnati- Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis, Gionvani Bernard. 1-1, easily can be 2-0.

Eagles- Shady McCoy. 1-1, easily can be 2-0.

I fuckin hate saying this, but the seaworms and SF...they are BASED on the running game w/ Frank Gore and Marshawn Lynch.

Denver- Even w/ Peyton Manning, they are using Knowshon Moreno, drafted Monte Ball, and utilized Willis McGahee last year.

KC- Jammaal Charles, Chiefs are 2-0.

I fail to see that if Trent was in STL he would be a detriment. If anything it would make this offense elite w/ the weapons currently here. The Rams' running game flat out stinks right now.

Having made my rant, I agree w/ ICED that if it is probably due to cap reasons he's not wearing blue/gold. And who knows if Cleveland's GM called Les, other they or just talked w/ Indy only.

Devil's advocate, but Hotlanta sit at 1-1 after spending the dough for our guy S-Jax. Minnesota are 0-2 with AP toting the rock, same with Tampa where everyone was waving the banner for Doug Martin.

The kicker, we're 1-1 with a goose egg for rushing touchdowns while Cleveland is still 0-2.

Not sure what to make of it all, honestly. It's a crap shoot I suppose. The Browns are not built to be a power offense the same as this team is not built to be a power offense which would seem to be what suits T-Rich's style. He strikes me as a Steve Jackson where the more you can put the ball in his hands the better he'll get.

Schotty seems to want to spread the ball around and whiz it 40 times a game, which is cool with me. I've always been fond of strong defense and watching a goliath at RB take the game over. That doesn't appear to be our game now.

Sorry if this is a convoluted response :boing:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rammer said:
TR is not worth a 1st round pick are you kidding me?

I'm not sure he is. But we will find out soon enough.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Warner4Prez said:
Angry Ram said:
Warner4Prez said:
TRich...not all he's cracked up to be. 2 runs of 20+ yards in his career thus far, averaging something like 3 YPC, dropped the rock a few times last year. Sure he had a great college career, but that was with THE elite program, not going to be the case in his NFL career. By the end of this season, Colts fans will likely be up in arms they gave away a 1st rounder.

OMG what is it with the fascination w/ YPC?! They are MEANINGLESS. A high YPC just means longer runs that skew the average!

NINE TOUCHDOWNS. Plus 1 receiving. 950 yards rushing, over a thousand combined w/ receiving. He already has 2 TDs this year. The Rams' RBs? A big fat, goose egg.

He was the only weapon the Browns had. Now he goes to Indy, where teams won't stack the box up, b/c they'll have to deal w/ Reggie Wayne, T.Y. Hilton, and Coby Fleener. Conversely opponents won't keep blitzing on pass downs b/c they have Trent. Andrew Luck has to be ELATED he gets another weapon. What's a QBs best friend? A good running game. The only time the Colts' fans arms are gonna be up is when they go to the playoffs just like the Peyton days.

And while the media continues to bang the "it's a passing league, it's QB driven league" drum, the running game remains as important as ever, maybe more so now.

Look @ some of the better teams and how they are doing:

Houston- Arian Foster, Ben Taint. 2-0.

Cincinnati- Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis, Gionvani Bernard. 1-1, easily can be 2-0.

Eagles- Shady McCoy. 1-1, easily can be 2-0.

I fuckin hate saying this, but the seaworms and SF...they are BASED on the running game w/ Frank Gore and Marshawn Lynch.

Denver- Even w/ Peyton Manning, they are using Knowshon Moreno, drafted Monte Ball, and utilized Willis McGahee last year.

KC- Jammaal Charles, Chiefs are 2-0.

I fail to see that if Trent was in STL he would be a detriment. If anything it would make this offense elite w/ the weapons currently here. The Rams' running game flat out stinks right now.

Having made my rant, I agree w/ ICED that if it is probably due to cap reasons he's not wearing blue/gold. And who knows if Cleveland's GM called Les, other they or just talked w/ Indy only.

Devil's advocate, but Hotlanta sit at 1-1 after spending the dough for our guy S-Jax. Minnesota are 0-2 with AP toting the rock, same with Tampa where everyone was waving the banner for Doug Martin.

The kicker, we're 1-1 with a goose egg for rushing touchdowns while Cleveland is still 0-2.

Not sure what to make of it all, honestly. It's a crap shoot I suppose. The Browns are not built to be a power offense the same as this team is not built to be a power offense which would seem to be what suits T-Rich's style. He strikes me as a Steve Jackson where the more you can put the ball in his hands the better he'll get.

Schotty seems to want to spread the ball around and whiz it 40 times a game, which is cool with me. I've always been fond of strong defense and watching a goliath at RB take the game over. That doesn't appear to be our game now.

Sorry if this is a convoluted response :boing:

You are right, but those teams you mentioned have issues @ QB, WR, and/or OL. It takes a 4 way balance to be a great offense, but I know you already knew that.

Disagree w/ Schotty's approach. If anything they are trying to use Daryl Richardson early and often, that fails, the team gets behind and then he flings it.

Oh and anyone should be apologizing it should be me b/c of my angry response. I just get mad at stats.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Warner4Prez said:

Great post. I agree.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
T-Rich was the #3 pick in the draft for a very good reason. The complaints about him thus far are vision and grasping the playbook. They say he's hesitant(sounds familiar, doesn't it?). Sounds to me like a guy that hasn't fully adjusted to the NFL yet.

Before the draft, when asked who I thought Trent Richardson compared to, I said...Ricky Williams. I think they're eerily similar players in terms of skill-set. Go look at what Ricky did as a rookie. IMO, the best has yet to come with Trent. He's got the skills.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
max said:
Snead probably won't ever tell the truth on this, but I wonder if he knew about TR being available and if the Rams talked to the Browns.

And I wonder if the money aspects of it was a problem for the Rams.

And, I wonder if Fisher knew TR was available because TR is a Fisher type back.

I guess it's possible that the Colts approached the Browns and told them to keep the deal quite or they'd pull out. But I think it's more likely that the Browns just didn't decide to move TR overnight.

Anyway, I'm very curious to hear Snead talk about this trade and why the Rams weren't interested in TR for that price.

Snead should get questioned? Why? Because he didn't make a specific move? Do we then question him as to why he didn't take Patterson? Do we question his other non-moves? Do we question the moves we liked? or just the ones he possibly didn't try to make? Maybe only the ones specific fans didn't like?

Sorry Max. This thread seems a little presumptuous don't you think? I get it if you yourself question the move (or non-move) but it comes off (to me) as if we should all believe that Snead is hiding something insidious from us. GMs have tons of deals and non-deals that no one outside of that draft room or back offices really knows about. What possible gain do we get out of trying to get Snead to come clean on this? Do you really think GMs want to discuss all the things that potentially didn't work or offers that were turned down?

I think if you got specific, non-soundbite answers to your questioning, Snead would likely have a pretty tough time doing his job in the future. What do you want him to say? "I tried to trade DR and a draft pick for TR but the Browns wanted ridiculous compensation from us and we were OK with giving them DR but..."

I get questioning moves and we all do it. But this comes off more to me as a fan calling out our GM.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
RB's picked in the first round

Listed all from most recently back to 2004:
Trent Richardson
Doug Martin
David Wilson
Mark Ingram
CJ Spiller
Ryan Mathews
Jahvid Best
Knowshon Moreno
Donald Brown
Beanie Wells
Darren McFadden
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Reggie Bush
Laurence Maroney
DeAngelo Williams
Joseph Addai
Ronnie Brown
Cedric Benson
Cadillac Williams
Steven Jackson
Chris Perry
Kevin Jones

Make your own assessments fellas. :cool:
Me? I don't like RB's in the first round these days. Plug n play for the most part IMO.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Mojo Ram said:

Trent Richardson
Doug Martin
David Wilson
Mark Ingram
CJ Spiller
Ryan Mathews
Jahvid Best
Knowshon Moreno
Donald Brown
Beanie Wells
Darren McFadden
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Reggie Bush
Laurence Maroney
DeAngelo Williams
Joseph Addai
Ronnie Brown
Cedric Benson
Cadillac Williams
Steven Jackson
Chris Perry
Kevin Jones

Me? I don't like RB's in the first round these days. Plug n play for the most part IMO.

I believe that out of those 27 guys, Joseph Addai is the only guy to start in a SB with the team that drafted him. And he was picked at the bottom of the first round.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
max said:
The Rammer said:

He will light it up with Luck.

One hell of a 1 2 3 punch.

Luck, Wayne and now TR.

V3

Hall of Fame
Barrison said:
max said:
Here's Lombardi on TR before he took the Browns job. Guess he changed his mind.

By Michael Lombardi NFL Network
Front Office View
Published: April 23, 2012

Yogi Berra once said, "It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future." Well, that's exactly what I'm being asked to do with the 2012 NFL Draft. I'm not talking about my mock draft -- that comes Wednesday -- but rather a general overview of the three-day event.

Yogi is right: It is hard to make predictions, especially about the draft. So many teams try to hide their real intentions through deception. As much as teams love to lie, they cannot fully conceal reality. Many NFL teams' words to the media might be misleading, but their actions in free agency always tell the real story. That's the best indicator to consider come draft day. My advice is to ignore all the rhetoric and just trust your own instincts.

Here are 10 things that I believe to be true in this week's draft:

1. I believe the safest pick in the draft -- beyond Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III -- is Alabama running back Trent Richardson. He's a blue-chip player and has all the skills to quickly establish himself as a top-five player at his position. Forget the nonsense about not taking backs early -- everyone would love the chance to get this guy.
Lolol that is freaking epic man! These talking heads really do just spew off shyte without even realizing what their typing. :roll:

Not really. It just means he knows his coach runs a specific type of system and TR doesn't fit it so they wanted to get something for him while they still could. They wouldn't have been able to get a 1st after the season ended.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
max said:
I believe that out of those 27 guys, Joseph Addai is the only guy to start in a SB with the team that drafted him. And he was picked at the bottom of the first round.

Correlation...causation...you know the old adage.

Mojo Ram said:

Trent Richardson
Doug Martin
David Wilson
Mark Ingram
CJ Spiller
Ryan Mathews
Jahvid Best
Knowshon Moreno
Donald Brown
Beanie Wells
Darren McFadden
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Reggie Bush
Laurence Maroney
DeAngelo Williams
Joseph Addai
Ronnie Brown
Cedric Benson
Cadillac Williams
Steven Jackson
Chris Perry
Kevin Jones

I think there are some pretty dang good HBs on that list. And some others that might have been good if they were more lucky. And then some bonafide busts. Seems like just about any list of 1st round players over the last decade or so.

I take talent where I can get it.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
EastRam said:
max said:
The Rammer said:

He will light it up with Luck.

One hell of a 1 2 3 punch.

Luck, Wayne and now TR.

I'm sure he will, he just wasn't for us. We got to many young guys that can blow up any minute, they just haven't seen enough playing time yet.

As for the colts, they might be pretty scary nowadays on offence. :tooth:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LosAngelesRams said:
For what? We have 4 RBs right now, no money and 2 1st round picks in what could be an amazing draft.

Don't want Trent and glad we didn't get the trade.

^ This.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
CGI_Ram said:
LosAngelesRams said:
For what? We have 4 RBs right now, no money and 2 1st round picks in what could be an amazing draft.

^ This.

While I agree that there can be excellent reasons why we didn't get involved in a deal for TR, I am curious to hear from Snead on it. That's all I'm saying. I like hearing from the guy on his perspective on things like this.

Really, we could have gone either way on this and there would be supporters both ways.

That is, do you think if the Rams traded a first rounder for TR that many fans would have been excited? You can bet they would.

But sure, some times the best trades are the ones you didn't make.

We still have 2 first rounders in a loaded draft, and we still have holes to fill in a few places. At the top of my list are a stud FS, and OL help. And a stud CB would be great as well.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
max said:
CGI_Ram said:
LosAngelesRams said:

^ This.

While I agree that there can be excellent reasons why we didn't get involved in a deal for TR, I am curious to hear from Snead on it. That's all I'm saying. I like hearing from the guy on his perspective on things like this.

Really, we could have gone either way on this and there would be supporters both ways.

That is, do you think if the Rams traded a first rounder for TR that many fans would have been excited? You can bet they would.

But sure, some times the best trades are the ones you didn't make.

We still have 2 first rounders in a loaded draft, and we still have holes to fill in a few places. At the top of my list are a stud FS, and OL help. And a stud CB would be great as well.

OK max ,I'll bite, sure hearing from Snead would be "nice" but every day there are a gazillion things you don't do, Snead is in the "prove a negative" position with you on this .

Don't know about you, but ME? I hate like hell when people ask why didn't you do this or that,it carries the implication you should have even considered doing it.

The price for TR was pretty steep along with the fact that if you paid it it had better work first of all and second the necessity of taking carries away from two guys I think pretty well busted their asses in training camp and aren't stinking the place up.

We don't suck at the position ,Indy was gonna have to START Ahmad Bradshaw.

I see no point in creating uncertainty for DR or Pead in order to satisfy idle curiosity, just don't.

jap

Legend
People are getting too excited about the Rams' loss last weekend. I expected some early struggles because of the youth and new faces. However, it's highly impressive how competitive the Rams have been thus far even though they are definitely not clicking on all cylinders yet.

I like DRich and his instantaneous burst. However, he is not nearly as elusive as Isaiah nor has Zac or Benny's sheer strength. Schotty has to find how to mix his RB's talents to derive the greatest team benefit.

Fish and Walton are protecting their young safeties, but Jenks has to figure out when he can gamble and when he can't. Gambling against Jones with no safety help was not smart at all, and he acknowledged that. You just can't screw around with the more savvy QB's in this league when you're on an island. Jenks got burned by Aaron Rodgers, the man named Brady, and even the 'Phins Tannehill last season. He needs to wise up in order to promote himself to shutdown CB status.

nighttrain

Legend
Warner4Prez said:
i remember when we traded ED, we got a ton of draft picks and not a single one of them could play in the NFL. Choose wisely
train

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Mojo Ram said:

Trent Richardson
Doug Martin
David Wilson
Mark Ingram
CJ Spiller
Ryan Mathews
Jahvid Best
Knowshon Moreno
Donald Brown
Beanie Wells
Darren McFadden
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Reggie Bush
Laurence Maroney
DeAngelo Williams
Joseph Addai
Ronnie Brown
Cedric Benson
Cadillac Williams
Steven Jackson
Chris Perry
Kevin Jones

Sounds like any other position. Hit or miss.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
jrry32 said:
max said:

Correlation...causation...you know the old adage.

Mojo Ram said:

Trent Richardson
Doug Martin
David Wilson
Mark Ingram
CJ Spiller
Ryan Mathews
Jahvid Best
Knowshon Moreno
Donald Brown
Beanie Wells
Darren McFadden
Jonathan Stewart
Felix Jones
Rashard Mendenhall
Chris Johnson
Adrian Peterson
Marshawn Lynch
Reggie Bush
Laurence Maroney
DeAngelo Williams
Joseph Addai
Ronnie Brown
Cedric Benson
Cadillac Williams
Steven Jackson
Chris Perry
Kevin Jones

I think there are some pretty dang good HBs on that list. And some others that might have been good if they were more lucky. And then some bonafide busts. Seems like just about any list of 1st round players over the last decade or so.

I take talent where I can get it.

2007–09 seasons[edit source | editbeta]
Maroney, who became the Patriots' starting running back following the release of Dillon in the offseason, missed three games in October with a groin injury,[3] and rushed for 835 yards in the Patriots' undefeated 2007 regular season. In the playoffs, Maroney became a bigger factor for the Patriots, compiling 244 rushing yards and two touchdowns in two games before playing in Super Bowl XLII. In that game, Maroney had 14 carries for 36 yards with a 1-yard touchdown in a loss against the New York Giants.