Snead/Fisher era

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
7-9 is acceptable because of how daunting this schedule is. If w had the cake walk schedule that Indy has I would be calling for us to run the table :)

Our schedule is harder than the other 3 teams in our division due to one reason, they face us twice whereas we don't. If they can win with their schedule we should be able to with ours.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
After looking at their roster from the year before Carroll took over I'm still not sure I agree with your point. Among other things the competition within our division at that time was nowhere near what it is now.

That said Seattle has done a remarkable job building their roster since Carroll took over as coach.

Agree, I'm hoping for and expecting a winning season this year. Don't think Fisher's going anywhere whether it happens or not though. I think Stan's all-in for the full five years.

Alan

Legend
Zero chance of that happening IMO. There is a huge dearth of quality HCs out there IMO.
Among other reasons.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Thats kind of my point. Most regimes get 3 years because they originally stepped into a situation where there was at least some kind of nucleus there and decent veteran talent, but that team went from 12-5 to 10-6 to 6-10 and the owner/fanbase called for heads to roll.

This is a rebuild thats built solely on the draft...not one built on bringing in star FA's to compliment a veteran team. or patchwork. Patience people. I know it's difficult with all the losing that's taken place post-Martz until now...but Fisher and Snead are doing it right. Let the talent accumulate, simmer and bake so we can get served up something special.
We did have a nucleus in place and that nucleus is why Fisher came here to begin with. Remember, 2010 we improved 6 games to 7-9... then regressed back to 2-14 primarily due to injuries. Now we've changed lots of players since then... but every team does that.

I think Fisher is getting the extra chance because, well, he's Fisher. Changing regimes every 3 years will take us nowhere. In best case, the coach who comes in after the coach who actually makes the team better will get the credit

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think 8-8 would put fisher on the hot seat. You have to make progress in the W-L department. Love what the rams have built thus far but it means nothing if they don't get more wins
Yeah, that model of changing head coaches every 3 years has been a rousing success so far. This is Kroenke's guy. Fisher would have to have a catastrophic failure of a season for that seat to even be considered warm.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I think a dose of reality is a good thing at times. Its going to be very difficult to win 10 games this year for two reasons.

1) We are very young - thus we are very inconsistent - but obviously we're older than last year! I'm expecting improvement from Quick, Givens, Austin, Ogletree, McDonald and co. That's a good young core.
2) Daunting schedule.

I liked CGI's comment - Fish could be our Bill Cowher. He's here to stay ideally. It'll take time for these RGIII picks to really show their value as the players mature and grow and we put the pieces around them.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I doubt it, think from the perspective of Stan Kroenke, there's finally a quality head coach in Saint Louis. A guy who's made it obvious that he knows what he's doing, why give up on him because he can't take one of the NFL's ABSOLUTE worst from zeroes to heroes in 3 years? How can anybody expect this team to be fixed in 3 years? This team has been in shambles for how long now? A decade or so? Years of meager drafting isn't going to get undone in 3 years. Lets put this in perspective, since 2005 only Chris Long, Sam Bradford, Rodger Saffold, JL55, Robert Quinn, Pettis, and Lance Kendricks remain, excluding the drafts Fisher and co took.

Lets put this in perspective, since 2005 7 of 63 picks are still on our team, that's not good. Lets put it in even more perspective, since 2005 to 2011 only 3 of our 7 first rounders are even still playing football.

Does a team that has such a disparity in talent and coaching from the rest of the league sounds like a team that's going to get magically better if we keep throwing people out on their rear in 3 years?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Anyone thinking Kroenke is going to dump Fisher and Snead are either trying to stir shit, or haven't looked at how Kroenke operates his teams. Long term thinking and stability are key, once he feels like he has the right guys in place he gives them the time and resources to put their plan fully into action.

He gave George Karl 8 years with the Nuggets and finally replaced him because he couldn't get past the first round of the playoffs several times. His hockey team doesn't have a lot of turnover either. This isn't a guy that is going to kick one of the most respected coaches and one of the brightest young GM's to the curb after three years if they don't make the playoffs. It won't happen in less than the 5 years he signed up for and I'll bet any amount of real money on it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I doubt it, think from the perspective of Stan Kroenke, there's finally a quality head coach in Saint Louis. A guy who's made it obvious that he knows what he's doing, why give up on him because he can't take one of the NFL's ABSOLUTE worst from zeroes to heroes in 3 years? How can anybody expect this team to be fixed in 3 years? This team has been in shambles for how long now? A decade or so? Years of meager drafting isn't going to get undone in 3 years. Lets put this in perspective, since 2005 only Chris Long, Sam Bradford, Rodger Saffold, JL55, Robert Quinn, Pettis, and Lance Kendricks remain, excluding the drafts Fisher and co took.

Lets put this in perspective, since 2005 7 of 63 picks are still on our team, that's not good. Lets put it in even more perspective, since 2005 to 2011 only 3 of our 7 first rounders are even still playing football.

Does a team that has such a disparity in talent and coaching from the rest of the league sound like a team that's going to get magically better if we keep throwing people out on their rear in 3 years?

Some might, there are owners who would react foolishly, we have seen it before. But not Kroenke, that's not how he rolls. Especially because it is obvious that improvement has been steady and non stop since the reigns have been handed to Fisher, Snead and Demoff.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I hear a lot of talk of this could be the last year of the Snead/fisher era if they don't make the playoffs. Is this talk all hype? If we went 8-8 or 9-7 I would not be happy but I wouldn't be mad either. I would still want Snead/fisher to be running the show. They have done many brilliant things over the last couple of drafts that I don't know if a lot of gm and coaches could have done. What do you guys think?

This post is the first I've even seen or heard of any such talk.o_O

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
The problems were more than just changing coaches every 3 years. Frontiere, Shaw, and Zygmunt were hands down awful in every respect. The entire Rams organization top to bottom has taken a 180 degree turn and gone from awful to outstanding. Fisher is here as long as he wants because Snead and Fisher work extremely well together. The wins will come, especially with the way this team is being built.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The problems were more than just changing coaches every 3 years. Frontiere, Shaw, and Zygmunt were hands down awful in every respect. The entire Rams organization top to bottom has taken a 180 degree turn and gone from awful to outstanding. Fisher is here as long as he wants because Snead and Fisher work extremely well together. The wins will come, especially with the way this team is being built.
And They said from the very begining... they weren't building to win right away and then fizzle. They are building for the long haul. As you say... the wins will come ... and hopefully we will stay relevant for more than 2-4 yrs.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
2014 will not be the year the Rams make their move. They're still too young. But the difference between these Rams and past Rams is the talent level. At some point this talent is going to come together. And when they do they're going to be good for a long stretch. Might even be in 2015.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Its a million times more likely Fisher and co get an extension after this season than get fired. If he got fired it would be for reasons unrelated to his leadership and coaching of the Rams.